Philips 42PF9831

great specs and all but yergh its a philips. Actually worst still its likely coming out of its LG jooint venture lcd plant - talk about recipe for dissaster. I wish it all sucess ! If you buy one just remember to cross its cables when you hook it up...for good luck :blink:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been busy and not able to loiter about and therefore have yet to lay my eyes on this Philip LCD. For those who can access one, can you please try out 'Van Helsing' Chapter 2 or 3, can't quite remember which. It is the dark scene where Van Helsing tore off his 'Wanted Poster' and so forth. So far, I have found all the current crop of LCDs wanting during these dark scenes. Hopefully this Philip would perform smartly.

Cheers.

Saw it tonight... WOW WOW and WOW! :blink::D:P ...Plasmas are in trouble guys! :ph34r:

Awesome PQ on FTA. Getaway was brilliant. Channel flicking to Smallville and Earl in HD all looked great. No 7 HD loop though at this time of night. Clear LCD really cleans up average non HD feeds! This has been a major complaint I've had with so many panels - they cant upscale without adding image noise.

PQ 10/10

Played with a few adjustments-

Brightness was set at 45. (60 provided more shadow detail, blacks still good)

Contrast 70 (60-80 good)

Colour 50

Sharpness 5 (midway)

Ambilight Colour & dynamic. Plenty of options

Movement - did not see sport but cant really see any blur. No jitter. Need to see some water and swimming is a great test I find.

The Ambilight is fantastic, and has heaps of set up options so you can set it depending on your mood, room lighting level etc. Turning it off really shows how extraordinary the pic was with it on!

Blacks? Well here we go - normal room lighting- excellent blacks, well 8/10?

Darkened room - bar 2 side lights (could not turn them off) and Id have to say Blacks were not as good as the hype or 100% of what I'd hoped for - but for the first time I realised, now looking THE BEST PICS ive seen, Blacks levels do NOT have to be top of the PQ criteria any more!

In my eyes Blacks = contrast and image quality in my eyes, and have always been top of my list for me to consider a panel - at all. But once you are blown away by this PQ with great colour depth sharpness & contrast and NO IMAGE NOISE 8/10 blacks is no loger an issue.

Great menus and suave remote looks a million dollars. Did not play with that though. Noticed easy escape from menus. And you can get into all the details menus on the panel without the remote (if its lost or broken at some stage) I think thats pretty important.

Has an interesting demo mode and you can select various features for split screen comparisons. Contrast and Noise is definately eliminated by the many processes. There is a great demo of the Active or Auto mode.

A great feature I noticed is 4:3 ads get upscaled to full screen (also letterboxed ads). These were being enlarged to full screen after a few seconds - amazing to watch and a bonus for even pixel wear. Not sure if zoomed or stretched or 'panorama' function for this - maybe someone can explain it better. I could not believe this did not decrease quality when this occured! Great work Philips.

Minor negative - great viewing angles colour and blacks do not go way off, but I noticed the Ambilight is not suited to acute viewing angles, because it does not look if you are too close and to one side. Check that out if you need wide angles. At my 4-5m with 5m wide room it will be fine. You can adjsut the balance and also there are 4 brightness settings and 4 colour options I think.

Conclusion - this set IS IT! My only wish - I wish it was 50" for this price! Now, I just need to ask the Staff (wife) if the $4K budget can stretched.

Help - Decision time. Ive waited long enough. Do I go

Philips 42PF9831 with the BEST PQ in 2006?

Or SD Panasonic family room + Sanyo Z4 + fixed screen in Lounge Room for <$5K

Or Toshiba 62" DLP ~$5K ???

I'm contemplating building a shrine to worship this tv.

At work i've been referring to the TV as a god. It deserves the title the almighty ruler of LCD's.

I forgot to add to but you already have, the menu system is the best Philips have put on their flat-panel tv's so far. Easy to use, fast, simple and pleasing to the eye.

I'm contemplating building a shrine to worship this tv.

At work i've been referring to the TV as a god. It deserves the title the almighty ruler of LCD's.

I forgot to add to but you already have, the menu system is the best Philips have put on their flat-panel tv's so far. Easy to use, fast, simple and pleasing to the eye.

Great for sales people who need to know how to use 47 types of panels and menus I suppose! :blink:

Oh, and women and children... motherinlaws...grumpy old men...

Should add the remote control is very sleep and stylish, runs other Philips gear, will run the Philips HDMI dvd player, although it's a shame that player really sucks.

Excellent all round. Keen to hear how the xbox360 test fares. I'll be hitting one of these up with some hd dvd content (avi through laptop) and will take my camera with me.

OK... July's going to be the month of saving and then early August could be the time to slap down some cash. It's either this or the 50" pio plasma. The laptop's going to be the final test.

Van helsing, eh? I'll see if I can run that test via the laptop :blink:

Any chance of upping a 10 second rip of the Van Helsing chapter you want tested ?

Should add the remote control is very sleep and stylish, runs other Philips gear, will run the Philips HDMI dvd player, although it's a shame that player really sucks.

1024x768@60hz via PC is its limitations for a 1366x768 res... WTF? :blink:

Excellent all round. Keen to hear how the xbox360 test fares. I'll be hitting one of these up with some hd dvd content (avi through laptop) and will take my camera with me.

OK... July's going to be the month of saving and then early August could be the time to slap down some cash. It's either this or the 50" pio plasma. The laptop's going to be the final test.

Van helsing, eh? I'll see if I can run that test via the laptop :blink:

Any chance of upping a 10 second rip of the Van Helsing chapter you want tested ?

I must say this is probably the most promising lcd by far isnt it. when are they goign to get to 1920x1080i native though ?

I must say this is probably the most promising lcd by far isnt it. when are they goign to get to 1920x1080i native though ?

Im not sure about that.

Have a look at the specs to see its PC resolution limitations 1024x 768 @60hz... Thats awful on a 1366x768 LCD.

Before I got one of these puppies I would be hooking a lappy into it to see if the resolution can be squeezed higher. If Philips dont allow a default override then its panel to stand well clear of.

Even a Pana 42 inch plasma panel (1024x768) can do 1280x1024 via PC.

This TV does sound extremely promising....

Might have to wander on down to HN and JB today to have a look see.

I was mighty unimpressed with the 42PF9830 but hopefully this 42PF9831 is an entirely different beast. It sounds like it has taken the mantle of best current LCD (any panel tv 42" and below :blink: )

Im not sure about that.

Have a look at the specs to see its PC resolution limitations 1024x 768 @60hz... Thats awful on a 1366x768 LCD.

Before I got one of these puppies I would be hooking a lappy into it to see if the resolution can be squeezed higher. If Philips dont allow a default override then its panel to stand well clear of.

Even a Pana 42 inch plasma panel (1024x768) can do 1280x1024 via PC.

its probably easy enough to take a laptop into store to hook and check out. Yeah that is strange in the resolution and 60hz requirment. My old hitachi plasma for instance when you hook up the pc it becomes a plug and play monitor allowing just about anythign under the sun. I suppose its probably still a good option if people arent looking for pc capability. Will be interesitng what its like on say the xbox 360 though, hooked up via component and rgb/vga or say the new 1080i HD disc players when they come.

Ok lastnight ran the xbox360 in, ran it in 720p and 1080i there was no discernable difference at all, no judder or anything like that.

Now as for the picture......................

WOW! That's all I can say, it was just awesome the best picture I have seen with the 360 connected to any display, it was f**king awesome!

Sharp, detailed, no motion blurring, rich vibrant colours.

When I had it running people couldn't help but stop and admire and comment.

Ok lastnight ran the xbox360 in, ran it in 720p and 1080i there was no discernable difference at all, no judder or anything like that.

Now as for the picture......................

WOW! That's all I can say, it was just awesome the best picture I have seen with the 360 connected to any display, it was f**king awesome!

Sharp, detailed, no motion blurring, rich vibrant colours.

When I had it running people couldn't help but stop and admire and comment.

So you have converted to an LCD lover chris ? :blink:

Philips needs to drop ambilight IMO. In-store they just look cheap and gimmicky.

edit: it looks pretty sweet when wall mounted at night time though, just saw a pic.

You can always turn it off... theres a setting that allows you to toggle between, off - solid color - color that changes with displayed color etc...

You can always turn it off... theres a setting that allows you to toggle between, off - solid color - color that changes with displayed color etc...

outlaws have the lcd ambilight and to me it's quite effective when seen in the flesh.

Philips needs to drop ambilight IMO. In-store they just look cheap and gimmicky.

edit: it looks pretty sweet when wall mounted at night time though, just saw a pic.

LOL! ...I cannot understand why people will post obviously unresearched comments, from their armchair - and post them BEFORE they have even seen a new model in the flesh? Please Xluke, go and see it and report back. Otherwise you are not being helpful to others. And what pic?

This surround ambilight system is all NEW and does not require a wall (like other ambilights do before the 9831) to look good by the way. This will look brilliant whether 10cm or 10mtrs from a wall on a stand, day or night as far as I can see, and others who were looking at it.

As for "gimmick", may I suggest you go (physically, ie. leave your computer screen...) and find one (if you can), then watch it for 5 mins with ambilight on colour - dynamic etc, then turn the ambi off and watch for another 5 mins.

Then back on... and report back. I cant wait for your personal review. :blink:

Cheers

have all HN's in Melbourne got stock? Might pay a visit to Nunawading tommorrow.

Visited a HN store today armed with laptop. Was told by the rep that the panel wasn't HD and that you couldn't hook a computer up to it. :blink:

Anyway - ran Final Fantasy VII and some HD DVD content (Fifth Element as an AVI). Also a real-time rendered visual demo.

The blacks were without artifacts. The only problem I could see was that it didn't seem able to downsample although this could have been due to the laptop.

The rep didn't rate the panel and for him the Toshiba 47WL66 was the king of LCDs.

Personally - I'm pretty much ready to drop cash for the Philips early August unless someone can come up with a good argument as to why it's not worth buying.

PS: Copy protection hole in Blu-ray and HD DVD movies.

have all HN's in Melbourne got stock? Might pay a visit to Nunawading tommorrow.

havent seen one in the two HN stores I've been knocking around the last week or two zorg.