Sign in to follow this  
Leonidas

New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

Im pretty sure i know how Gameon sell at that price, no GST!!

bearing in mind the size of the box, and bearing in mind that i've posted a cash price from a regional retravison of $2089, delivered with set up if you want them to do it) - with due respect to GameOn, you have to be keen if you were going to down that road (IMHO)

OOPS! The quote I received from GameOn was $1999 INCLUDING delivery within major metro areas. Original post corrected.

Can anybody post a mini-review of their new Samsung (motion, optical out, quality, remote) etc? Thanks.

Xluke if you go back to my earlier post (#88). All of this problems are covered in the same release samsung plasma thread( it has an "optical out" too but is not functional for outputting internal tuner audio).

It seems you are unwilling to go off the hard evidence in that thread (where the 'optical out' is explained)and the phone calls people have made in this thresd.

SO go and have a play with one and let us know what you find.

Stop making such strong statements off of no research it makes you sound "informed". Anyone can download the manual and spew data out of it. Someone who has actually had experience with this panel input would be fantastic.

I would like for it to have audio out but before i bought one i would want to make sure of it and your baseless pouring out on here of "it does, it does,"really dosn't help anyone.

samsung plasma thread link.

Very well put Stevoo. Appreciate you confirming what Samsung have said, you having a set helps....

There's no doubting the quality of these sets, a real pity about the audio output from the tuner.

In case anyone wants to download the manual (C'mon xluke be informed) the URL is:

Samsung LA40R71BD

Page 4 has a diagram of the rear panel and clearly show NO DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT.

In case anyone wants to download the manual (C'mon xluke be informed) the URL is:

Samsung LA40R71BD

Page 4 has a diagram of the rear panel and clearly show NO DIGITAL OPTICAL OUT.

Hi Guys,

I don't know if the optical out works or not, but I downloaded the manual and isn't number 11 in that diagram an optical digital audio out?

Hello chaps,

I'm new to Australia and looking to get myself a nice TV that I can use with my PC whose arrival is imminent.

I know that one of these TVs will allow for a PC input, but will I be able to select an appropriate output from my graphics card to fit the widescreen resolution? I can't bear squashed images.

Also, my flatmate has one of the other Samsung LCDs without the pointed base (one lower than the R series) and we use foxtel through it. I set the box to 16:9 and put up with borders at the side of the screen (cos again I can't stand squashed heads etc), whereas he keeps putting the box back to 4:3 because he likes to fill the screen, and also because he thinks we may burn an image into the screen with the borders. What are your thoughts on the best set up for Foxtel with a widescreen TV, and also is it possible to burn an image into an LCD as described above? Sorry for going off-topic a bit.

I work on Castlereagh Street in Sydney and Bing Lee are knocking out the 32inch R series for $2,100 if you ask the man nicely. the 26 inch one is going for $1,600. I see from the forum that "GameOn" are offering the set for $2,000 but I can't find this online. Would someone be able to help me with this?

Thanks!

I just went to Harvey Norman and asked them to match the gameon price. He did mention something about the gameon price not including GST or something. But he didnt hesitate and matched the price immediately. I will pick it up in a few days. Cant wait to check it out. Will give you my thoughts then.

Also does anyone know what the X on the end of the model number mean?

Bocks

Not sure, it just didn't seem right. Will take a closer look tomorrow.

ChrisMJT,

Waiting for your updated opinion on the tuner.......

Hi Guys,

I don't know if the optical out works or not, but I downloaded the manual and isn't number 11 in that diagram an optical digital audio out?

You're right - Page 6 connection 11 is clearly a digital optical out port. On Page 7 it's described as the following:

DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL)

- Connect to a Digital Audio Component.

So while I'll wait for someone who has bought one and connected it up to report back, it's clear that Baboon has misread the manual (though for the life of me I can't figure out why - it's clear enough to me).

You're right - Page 6 connection 11 is clearly a digital optical out port. On Page 7 it's described as the following:

So while I'll wait for someone who has bought one and connected it up to report back, it's clear that Baboon has misread the manual (though for the life of me I can't figure out why - it's clear enough to me).

I decided to call Samsung again.... This time i spoke to their technical department.....

What they told me today is the absolute opposite to what i was told yesterday......

As Trawler has pointed out the manual shows a digital optical out (I had originally downloaded the manual for the LA40R71B and of course this doens't show an optical out 'cos there ain't one. Once i got the correct manual i could see that there is indeed an optical out.... which prompted me to call Samsung again.....

This time Samsung said "Yes, you can output HDTV audio to an Amp via the optical out" The 42 inch Plasma with the tuner (PS42D7HD) DID have this problem - NO DIGITAL AUDIO OUT. It would seems that it really depends on who you talk to at Samsung as to what you are told.

I also posted yesterday that Samsung had told me the LCD panel in the new model was inferrior to the LA40M61BD... again, John contradicted what i was told yesterday - there IS NO DIFFERENCE in the panels.

Now for some humble pie.........

I apologise if i have misguided anybody, i was just passing on the information i was given by Samsung yesterday.... they must have had a temp on!! If anyone wants to confirm then give Samsung a call on 1300 362 603 just make sure you ask for the Technical Department not the temp unloading pallets out the back!

I'd expect that there will be some smart remarks from Xluke... so go for your life....

Nah buddy your totally right.

The Optical Out will output Analogue sound on all channels but will not output digital sound from channels 70, 90 or 12. Makes it a bit useless.

Quick review:

Booted up mine for the first time just then - did the standard auto tune routine and that was all good. I got the 32" and view it from 2.5metres.

Picture looks great! It auto-booted up on the vibrant colour setting but i took a little of the colour out because it didnt look very realistic. The amount of options there is for adjusting the picture is great. I havent gone beyond the preset modes but so far its looking really good.

The audio is one of the small let downs on this set. While its adequate - its lacking in a bit of low end but is only moticible when audio is played through the tv. The other let down is that the TV will only output stereo sound through the optical out - when HD channels 70, 90 or 12 are selected there is no volume. Makes the optical pretty much useless which might scare away a few buyers with a home theatre setup.

The remote control is one of the things i wasnt expecting to be as good as it is. Its a great looking remote and has a heap of features. By punching in a simple code im now able to control my DVD player with the TV remote. Its great being able to control everything off 1 remote.

The menus are simple and easy to navigate.

Overall im really happy with the TV - just wish there was something worth watching at the moment :blink:

There is always that HD thing they have on channel 7.

Why does Sofie Faulkner pick up that shell for?

There is always that HD thing they have on channel 7.

Why does Sofie Faulkner pick up that shell for?

Just be VERY happy she does :blink: . Could have been Magda :D

Been around the north and south side. Anyone seen 1 in Brisbane yet ?

Not in the city, I was meaning to ask the same question. JB tried to tell me that the M61 was the latest model and I informed them of the new R71 they said it wasn't in Australia yet. I then told JB that shops in Sydney had been selling them for he past week, to which they replied "Queensland is sometimes a little bit slower". He then tried to sell me a floor stock 40" M61 that I have seen set up for the past month for $3000, I think I'll pass.

I'm quite keen to see one of these set up after all mixed reports, so if anyone does know a shop in Brisbane with this model please pass it on.

Thanks.

And to those who already have one, I'd be interested in any comments on perfomance with a PC over VGA & HDMI if it's supported.

Thanks again.

I am pretty sure i saw one on sunday at harvey norman indooroopilly. I couldnt find one anywhere else. I went back today and couldnt find it. I did however did put a deposit on one. They said they ordered 8 in and they should be in any day. I bought a 27inch one. They matched the gameon price of $1499. Awesome

Bocks

HI everyone, I am new here and I am thankful for the fantastique technical education you have given me in the last few days thus far. On the same subject I don't think I could contribute as much, but hope that you find this piece of information below useful. Cheers Eric

For those people who have been talking about the Samsung LA32M61 and the best price, well I also followed up on a previous post from someone in Adelaide who also wanted the same unit but found the latest Samsung LA32R71BD from Myers in the city at the same best price!

If you are interested and you are from Adelaide, ring the Hi-Fi TV section and speak to Mark (tell him Eric sent you!) who will sell it for a cool $2,000 (Game On Interactive on ebay have it for $2,099 free delivery in Sydney). There is a price war going on here on the Samsung LA32M61 which has spilled onto the R71 model. I rang mark today and paid over the phone. He is waiting on delivery, hopefully sometime this week cross fingers as I want to test this black beauty watching the world cup. On the subject..... what a disgraceful decision by the referee. Mind you it was either a penalty against Australia or a red card for diving against Italy. Well ... we now have some more history to remember but also some great moments!

Quick review:

The audio is one of the small let downs on this set. While its adequate - its lacking in a bit of low end but is only moticible when audio is played through the tv. The other let down is that the TV will only output stereo sound through the optical out - when HD channels 70, 90 or 12 are selected there is no volume. Makes the optical pretty much useless which might scare away a few buyers with a home theatre setup.

You would have to wonder the purpose of doing this. Possibly copyright, unavailable technology, oversight, sales of more equipment to have tv recording capabilities ( ie. another hd stb to hook up to pvr). Anyone want to add to this list?

Just wondering now we know more about the audio problems of this set what does anyone think is the likely reason behind it? Copyright?

I have no idea why - but there is no way I am buying a hd tuner that doesn't output digital 5.1.

just to let everyone know, I picked up a LA32R71BD for $2049 at GoodGuys (Edwardstown,SA) - mentioned $2050 price elsewhere (in NSW) - they were quite happy to better price match

I think its a wonderful buy.

Good morning all Samsung Formees...

My mission is now over, I got the LA32R71BD in Bunbury WA for $2020 from my local Betta Electrical store ( thanks very much), I was amaized but they said I did all the work I knew what I wanted and it was a sale ( Not much in it for them but a sale non the less) I gave the other two retailers (Retravision & HN) a shot and both pased out at my pruchase price. To those who have a budget... stick to it, pay what you think is a fair price, we all have to make a living. Shop arround call interstate if you have to ( WA people only) a few call can save you 100's. Be patient, visit the stores with no wallet or Cr card, impulse byes are dangerous if you have any doubt walk away....you have lost nothing, think about it away from the lights glamor and sounds and hype... Take the best price away with you, chat on the form and test the water with other retailers. It was hard to be patient because I almost bought the older TV twice... I have 8 days to go till I get my new toy... thanks to all form member for very valuable info and comments. Hope this helps someone save and enjoy the experience.

Hey XLuke, i have my LA32R71BD hooked up to my a/v receiver via the optical out and i have no problems geting Dolby Digital on the HD channels 70, 90 and 12. it is not with every show but it works.