Sign in to follow this  
Leonidas

New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

thanks Christopher M.J.T, just out of interest.. you most likely have seen my comments re price of this unit.... what is a fair price?... a bit of transport, profit and wages in it of coarse $2000 $2100 cash sale???

reading that link from the UK site for the R7, it says that "hooking up a PC is easy blah blah". Anyone confirm their claim? :blink:

I want to run windows XP on it and am wondering what resolution and quality I can get out of it. If i didn't have such a cumbersome box, i'd take it to a shop and hook it up :D

Am considering the 40: R71, the Sony Bravia V series 40" and the Sharp Aquos 45". After reading this forum, i'm leaning towards the Samsung!

you get get 1360x768. can only go up in resolution by 8 pixels at a time on a pc.

Re the GameOn quote of $1999 including delivery within major metro areas, if anybody is interested in a group buy, please post here.

OK People, more to add about the issues with the LA40R71BD and, for that matter the Plasma PS42D7HD - both with intergrated HD Tuner...

I just spoke to someone at Samsung in Sydney who firstly confirmed that because of the inbuilt tuner IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to output the Audio signal to an amplifier.

When pushed about the huge design oversight on Samsung's part the guy agreed (How could he not!) His recommendation was to buy a seperate HD box to be able to output the Audio signal to your amplifier.... or (get this) better still buy the previous model! (LA40M61B).

Of course i asked the guy why he'd recommend the M61B........ It seems that although Samsung have added loads of new features to the LA40R71BD the quality of the panel in the 71B is lower in quality than the 61B......... This was done in order to stay competitive in the market.

Can anyone recommend a decent LCD (Max 40inch) or Plasma (Max 42inch) that allows for the audio signal to be output to an amplifier... I want to avoid another piece of equipment.

Re the GameOn quote of $1999 plus delivery, if anybody is interested in a group buy, please post here.

I am keen to order from gameon as there prices seem really good. Has anyone ordered from them before and how are they to deal with (how long is delivery etc.)

I am keen to get the 26 inch lcd tv which was quoted at $1499.

Thanks

hi baboon... how is the pannel less quality?? I am just about to purchase a LA32R71BD but with this comment mmmmmmmmm, do I now try to fined a M61b or not... I think they could be hard to get again.

Bockers.. they have supplied me with a great price to Bunbury WA delivered... I would like to know the same question.

I just spoke to someone at Samsung in Sydney who firstly confirmed that because of the inbuilt tuner IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to output the Audio signal to an amplifier.

oh shut up. what in gods name do you think the OPTICAL AUDIO OUT is for then?

xluke... settle.... ( I am smiling now) what do you think of the comment re pannel quality??? now i'm thinking ...M61???????

OK People, more to add about the issues with the LA40R71BD and, for that matter the Plasma PS42D7HD - both with intergrated HD Tuner...

The R7 has one.

I have seen it with my own eyes!

Standard fibre optic output-3.5mm[

The panel quality is identical to the M61 running with a HDMI HD STB - ive seen them side by side.

thanks.... over Analysing i guess..... too much info is also no good.

I think in Bunbury with SD i would not notice the difference..analogue to SD for us is a HUGE step...

I notice on the Samsung Australia Website that there is reference to a LA40R71B and an LA40R71BD model. From looking at the quick guide for the LA40R71B model it does not have the Optical Audio out whereas the BD model does.

I haven't downloaded the B manual but it may possibly not have the inbuilt tuner. The D may stand for Digital (as in Digital Tuner)

With regards to panel quality I haven't seen a listing of the specs for the R71. It does refer to this model having 12.8 billion colours compared to the M Series 6.4 billion but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean that the picture is any better.

So you know what the letters mean:

LA - Model

40 - Size (26,32,40)

R - R Series

71 - Model

B - Black (W for White)

D - Digital Tuner

LA40R71B

LA40R71BD

LA40R71BDX

The above models are all the exact same thing. As far as im aware there is no model that exists without the digital tuner.

The specs are better then the M61. 12.8 million colours, 5000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio instead of just 5000:1. All other specs are identical, cept this model has Game Mode and a heap more features menu-wise (for the tuner).

So you know what the letters mean:

LA - Model

40 - Size (26,32,40)

R - R Series

71 - Model

B - Black (W for White)

D - Digital Tuner

LA40R71B

LA40R71BD

LA40R71BDX

The above models are all the exact same thing. As far as im aware there is no model that exists without the digital tuner.

The specs are better then the M61. 12.8 million colours, 5000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio instead of just 5000:1. All other specs are identical, cept this model has Game Mode and a heap more features menu-wise (for the tuner).

XLuke, Thanks for the info. Keep it coming. If you follow the infomation you have provided then the B model does not have the digital tuner and that is why there is no digital audio out on the back panel. See link for this model.

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/products...71B&filetype=UM

I have not heard of that model but i guess it exists.

oh shut up. what in gods name do you think the OPTICAL AUDIO OUT is for then?

xLuke...... Suggest you check your facts. Why would Samsung say that IT IS NOT possible to output the audio signal to an amp? Because you can't... I'm sure that they know their products better than you or I, that's why i called them TO CHECK THE FACTS..... you should try this someday.

Download the manual there sure as hell isn't an OPTICAL DIGITAL OUT :blink:

hi all, the manual i downloadeLA32R71BD on page 4 the Viewing th econnection pannel showa item 11 "digital audio out (optical)" is this the thingieee

xLuke...... Suggest you check your facts. Why would Samsung say that IT IS NOT possible to output the audio signal to an amp? Because you can't... I'm sure that they know their products better than you or I, that's why i called them TO CHECK THE FACTS..... you should try this someday.

Download the manual there sure as hell isn't an OPTICAL DIGITAL OUT :blink:

I have seen this set. There is an optical out. Now go away.

hi all, the manual i downloadeLA32R71BD on page 4 the Viewing th econnection pannel showa item 11 "digital audio out (optical)" is this the thingieee

Yes it is.

Xluke if you go back to my earlier post (#88). All of this problems are covered in the same release samsung plasma thread( it has an "optical out" too but is not functional for outputting internal tuner audio).

It seems you are unwilling to go off the hard evidence in that thread (where the 'optical out' is explained)and the phone calls people have made in this thresd.

SO go and have a play with one and let us know what you find.

I have seen this set. There is an optical out. Now go away.

Stop making such strong statements off of no research it makes you sound "informed". Anyone can download the manual and spew data out of it. Someone who has actually had experience with this panel input would be fantastic.

I would like for it to have audio out but before i bought one i would want to make sure of it and your baseless pouring out on here of "it does, it does,"really dosn't help anyone.

samsung plasma thread link.

Sorry but I did call Samsung Customer Care and they did tell me that it would work.

What in gods name is the good of a digital optical out or the HD tuner for that matter if it cant output the optical audio?

I just find it difficult to belive such an oversight exists.

Can someone clarify, if worst case there is no audio out for the tuner, you can still watch dvds/xbox 360 with your sound system though? would it be just free to air digital that is affected?

Yeah of course, only the video leads would run though the tv, the others would go directly to your amp.

Can someone clarify, if worst case there is no audio out for the tuner, you can still watch dvds/xbox 360 with your sound system though? would it be just free to air digital that is affected?

This is what is reported to be the only use of digital optical out on the plasma - dvd, xbox ect, or external stb throughputed. The internal digital tuner won't feed out sound.

This definatlly occurs in the samsung plasma that is of the same release as the lcd.

You would have to wonder the purpose of doing this. Possibly copyright, unavailable technology, oversight, sales of more equipment to have tv recording capabilities ( ie. another hd stb to hook up to pvr). Anyone want to add to this list?

we really need someone to post who has this panel as the have in the plasma thread.

XLuke, Thanks for the info. Keep it coming. If you follow the infomation you have provided then the B model does not have the digital tuner and that is why there is no digital audio out on the back panel. See link for this model.

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/products...71B&filetype=UM

also the A in the model = Australia - you'll note that the CNET review on this "model" refers to LE...... ie E = Europe.

also re the optical out - i have a samsung combo SD STB, DVD, and yes VCR .... guess what .. it has optical out but not for the STB ... go figure ..

Re the GameOn quote of $1999 plus delivery, if anybody is interested in a group buy, please post here.

bearing in mind the size of the box, and bearing in mind that i've posted a cash price from a regional retravison of $2089, delivered with set up if you want them to do it) - with due respect to GameOn, you have to be keen if you were going to down that road (IMHO)