Sign in to follow this  
Leonidas

New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

Ah houston we have a problem.. Dead pixel. Spewing. Taking it back tomorrow for a replacement.

Do Samsung have a no-dead pixel warranty with TVs like they do monitors? I'm surprised some people get so bent out of shape over just one pixel. Unless it really stands out from normal viewing distance I personally wouldn't worry about it. My 42" Teac has 3 dead, two of them are right next to each other, and I can't see them even slightly unless I'm about 25cm or less away from the screen. Even then Teac won't replace a panel unless it has at least 7 dead in certain parts of the screen. I guess though that there's always the mindset of 'I just spent x amount of dollars on this it should be perfect'.

daryl, Well, this is a thread about the Samsungs so we are getting a little off topic here, but you asked the question so I will answer it.

Thanks dclay,

I'm sorry, I know it was a little off topic. I was originally interested in the Samsung, but there were a few little things that were putting me off (the poor audio, the glossy black and the possible reliability problems). The Panasonic seems like it may solve all of the issues that I had with the Samsung. Comparing the picture in the shops between the Samsung and Panasonic, I do prefer the picture of the Panasonic. I'd be interested to get your thoughts on it once you get it, maybe in the previous Panasonic thread.

Thanks dclay,

I'm sorry, I know it was a little off topic. I was originally interested in the Samsung, but there were a few little things that were putting me off (the poor audio, the glossy black and the possible reliability problems). The Panasonic seems like it may solve all of the issues that I had with the Samsung. Comparing the picture in the shops between the Samsung and Panasonic, I do prefer the picture of the Panasonic. I'd be interested to get your thoughts on it once you get it, maybe in the previous Panasonic thread.

OK, I've posted to the Panasonic Tx-32lxd600a, New Panasonic LCD Range thread. I'll post some more info there once I've owned the TV for a while.

I have a Sony RPTV and a Samsung LA40R71 in separate rooms, both connected via a splitter to the same Topfield PVR. In the kitchen you can hear the sound from both TVs and the sound from the Samsung comes fractionally after that from the Sony; enough to make it annoying. I used to have a CRT instead of the Samsung and the sound was simultaneous.

Anyway, over the weekend I was watching the cricket at a retailer while my wife did some other shopping (as one does). The retailer had about a dozen smaller size LCDs and plasmas on a wall, including a Samsung 26" R series, Sony, LG and some others, along with a 42" LG plasma.

It was very noticeable when the scene changed to/from black that the Samsung was behind the others. All the others were totally in sync to the native eye.

So it seems that the Samsung processing is slower than other manufacturer's. I imagine that this is only an issue in a situation like mine, and I am otherwise very happy with my Samsung, but if I had known in advance I may well have chosen something else instead.

So now you know.

Sorry about the newbie question, but what is the difference (other than the builtin HD tuner and price) between the Samsung LA40S71BX and the Samsung LA40R71BDX? Specifically, is the pic quality significantly different?

Which one do you think is a better buy?

I have an employee discount quote from a friend for a LA40R71BDX at $2600. Is this as good a deal as it seems?

All comments appreciated!

from what ive seen, the contrast ratio and in built HD tuner are the main differences.. slightly different styling and a swivel base are the only other things i think..

I got the LA40S71BX for $2k and couldnt justify another $500-600 for the R series as i have no need for a digital tuner.. the swivel base would have been nice but i plan on wall mounting it at some point so another moot feature.

Guest webmal
I have a Sony RPTV and a Samsung LA40R71 in separate rooms, both connected via a splitter to the same Topfield PVR. In the kitchen you can hear the sound from both TVs and the sound from the Samsung comes fractionally after that from the Sony; enough to make it annoying. I used to have a CRT instead of the Samsung and the sound was simultaneous.

Anyway, over the weekend I was watching the cricket at a retailer while my wife did some other shopping (as one does). The retailer had about a dozen smaller size LCDs and plasmas on a wall, including a Samsung 26" R series, Sony, LG and some others, along with a 42" LG plasma.

It was very noticeable when the scene changed to/from black that the Samsung was behind the others. All the others were totally in sync to the native eye.

Holy bazookas! That's one serious flaw :blink:

What would be the recommended distance to sit/lay away from a 26" LCD TV? at the moment im laying about 1.3m away from the screen (the screen is to the side of my bed)

Hrm...Also, I think i now have 2 bright corners :blink:, I swapped the last TV over about 2 weeks ago, and have only noticed this new imperfection recently....I'm now thinking of Taking it back to the store and swapping it over for a different TV. Could someone recommend me a different 26"-27" TV That has around the same specs as the R series Samsung? (Built in STB, Same inputs....HDMI,2xComponent,VGA, Optical out) and would be good for Gaming/Great PQ and no imperfections?

Could it just be light variations? Like its not meant to be a perfect one shade of black all over?

Im Probably just seeing things (This thread has made me Hella paranoid), But still would like some suggestions

Matty323, It might be worthwhile looking at the the Panasonic TX-26LXD600A, although it has 2 HDMI and only one component. I gave the latest 32" LCD offerings from Panasonic, Sony and Samsung a thorough workover and opted for the Panasonic. I liked the Samsung but the problems with the current batch of panels was one of the reasons that put me off. While there doesn't seem to be as much info around on the Panasonic, I could not find any reports of panel problems.

Hrm...Ive taken some pics, and the spots i have indicated my only seem tiny, from my viewing distance....It gets really annoying in Movies and Dark scenes.... Pic1 Pic2

(There the same pic, But on pic 1, i indicated where im seeing the bright spots)

I'm now thinking of seeing if i can get a full refund, because i don't think i will get a perfect R7, and the other TV's in my price range/size don't interest me that much

Hrm...Ive taken some pics, and the spots i have indicated my only seem tiny, from my viewing distance....It gets really annoying in Movies and Dark scenes.... Pic1 Pic2

(There the same pic, But on pic 1, i indicated where im seeing the bright spots)

I'm now thinking of seeing if i can get a full refund, because i don't think i will get a perfect R7, and the other TV's in my price range/size don't interest me that much

I think you're "seeing things" in the top corners. I see no bleed at all. But you deffinately got a big patch of very slight bleed down the bottom just off center.

Not even comparable to Previous bleed issues but non the less....still imperfect IMO.

I was about to purchase a LA40R as I thought the LA32R was just a little too small for my needs and a little out of my budget range. Just this week I found out it could be had for under $3000 from Dick Smiths, but today I got the Bing Lee catalogue and they have listed:

94cm Integrated HD Tuner LCD TV

5000:1 contrast Ratio

1366x768 pixel resolution

6.4 billion colours

8ms refresh rate

3 year warranty

$2299

Now this is the size and price range I was more interested in! Its currently not listed on the Samsung website, but they do have the user manual for this model available online (and it DOES have an optical out Audio socket).

The model number was LA37R71BD

Do Samsung have a no-dead pixel warranty with TVs like they do monitors?

Officially they have a "more than 1" policy.

So if you have 1 dead / stuck on pixel..... tough luck!

Heya!

I am far from an expert and still playing with the settings, but I too was dissapointed when I first saw Foxtel on my 40 inch Sammy.

I used a SCART to RGB/Component connector into the back of the Samsung, and changed the Foxtel Display settings to 16:9 from 4:3 which made a big difference. The 4:3 display looked stretch and grainy, although not all channels fill up the screen it does look more natural.

Let me know if you find any way to make it look better.

- M

I've done a few changes since my previous post....and much happier with the PQ.Turning dynamic dimming OFF has made the PQ look alot better IMO..still not great though.Still not sure how to disable DNIe...

Colour settings goes as follows,

Contrast=24

Brightness=100

Sharpness=0

Colour=47

Colour Tone=Cool 1

Doubt anyone would have these setting but foxtel is looking better.

The oldies LG plasma still beats mine in terms PQ(can't remember the model (DV??))

I've done a few changes since my previous post....and much happier with the PQ.Turning dynamic dimming OFF has made the PQ look alot better IMO..still not great though.Still not sure how to disable DNIe...

Colour settings goes as follows,

Contrast=24

Brightness=100

Sharpness=0

Colour=47

Colour Tone=Cool 1

Doubt anyone would have these setting but foxtel is looking better.

The oldies LG plasma still beats mine in terms PQ(can't remember the model (DV??))

I have a samsung plasma and the only way i could turn off DNIE was via service menu, option block, frc samsung, and then turn off one of the binary switches "full bypass", which turns off all additional picture processing (e.g. DNIE). I was having issues with the dynamic brightness fluctuations and this was the only way I have found to fix it. Not sure if the service menu's are similar for LCD?

The LA40R is now available for $2590 at JBHI Brookvale. All I had to do was mention that they have it for $2640 at Bing Lee Brookvale.. Has anyone found anything lower than that ?

Erhan,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm looking at purchasing a LA40R + LA32R and Hardly bormal had the 32R for $1995 and the 40R was $2990.

Do you know how much the 32R was at JBHiFi?

I'll have to scoot down there and have a look.

Cheers

Wocka, JB would easily knock $50 from that.. shop around Warringah Mall.. I went to Dick Smith at the Mall today & they said they'd do the LA40R for $2550. Apparently $2 above their cost.. again, I mentioned JB doing it for $2590 & didnt even ask for proof!

Alternate between the three stores (Bing Lee, Dick Smith & JB).. Im sure you'll get a slammin' deal.. They've only recently gone down since the Christmas break & wont go down by more than a few bucks until the Financial Year rolls around.

One thing to consider though is they only have a few left amongst the stores so if you need one soon, best to go there ASAP.

Thanks Erhan,

I plan on going down to the Mall on Saturday.

I might try Bing Lee at that price also as I need to buy a fridge as well, Hopefully package a great deal on all items. If not I know Clive Peters @ Belrose are doing good deals on fridges. I hoep the do Samsung TV's also.

The LA40R + Fridge is for my mum and the LA32R is for me.

Thanks for you help

Just don't expect your old equipment (ps2/vcr etc) to look very nice.

Hi, new here, our family is looking to purchase the Samsung LA32R71BDX for our kitchen.

Just wondering, in regards to the quote above, why won't our "old equipment" look very nice on the TV? I was thinking of getting another TV for myself in my room (to play PS2 and other consoles).

Also, we went shopping for prices the other day around Alexandria, we were just looking at the LA32R71BDX and the salesman came up to us and gave us the price of $1800 straight off the bat - no haggling. I'm pretty sure he was prepared to drop it even lower so..! :blink:

In the next few weeks we will also be purchasing a Panasonic TH-50PX600A as well as the Samsung LA32R71BDX so if we get a good price I'll let you know! :D

Hi all,

Long time lurker here.

Just purchased a LA40 for $2600 from Domayne Penrith on 12mths interest free.

It is alot bigger when its back in the house. Awesome telly. Months of researching and more than happy with it.

C.

My first post :-)

I did a fair bit of study before I bought my first DTV. A lot of that study was done here and I learnt a lot in this thread so I thought I should put a comment in now that I have bought not one but two Samsung DTVs.

The first was a LA26R71BDX for the wife for Xmas to go in the bedroom. I bought it a couple of weeks before Xmas at JB for $1495. That wasn't a bad price then but it has already dropped below that now :-(.

A few days after Xmas I was starting to get a little annoyed at having this great new TV in the bedroom and the old 68cm CRT in the family room so I decided that we needed one in there too. It had to be a little bigger than the one I had already bought so I went in search of a LA32R71BDX.

I checked out eBay and found brand new (not seconds) ones for $1799 plus $50 delivery. I ended up talking to the guy on the phone and he said I could have one for $1700 delivered (I mentioned I already had the 26" model and I think he thought I had bought it from him). So with that in mind I went back to JB to bargain with them. Their ticket price for the LA32R71BDX was $1821. I asked for the "best price" and they said $1750. I told them I could get one for $1700 and they said they could do no better than $1750. I said fine and started to leave the store.

We were almost out of the store when the sales guy came after us and asked if we would buy it for $1720. I didn't want to give in right away so I said I'd think about it. For $20 it was better to be buying from a store rather than eBay so I finally went back to him and told him I'd take it.

So now I have the 26" and 32" models and am very happy with them. As many have said in this thread the sound leaves a bit to be desired but that is OK in the rooms we are using the TVs in. Picture quality and reception are excellent.

Now I wonder where I could put the 40" model .......

SydneyGuy - was that $1720 for the standard warranty? Or is that including the extended warranty?

Just a quick question - is it worth getting the extended warranty on the 32" Samsungs?

SydneyGuy - was that $1720 for the standard warranty? Or is that including the extended warranty?

Just the standard 3 year warranty. I also get another year for buying with my credit card. I figure 4 should be enough.

Just a quick question - is it worth getting the extended warranty on the 32" Samsungs?

Very hard to answer that. It's like any insurance. Sometimes you need it but most of the time you don't.

My first post :-)

I did a fair bit of study before I bought my first DTV. A lot of that study was done here and I learnt a lot in this thread so I thought I should put a comment in now that I have bought not one but two Samsung DTVs.

The first was a LA26R71BDX for the wife for Xmas to go in the bedroom. I bought it a couple of weeks before Xmas at JB for $1495. That wasn't a bad price then but it has already dropped below that now :-(.

A few days after Xmas I was starting to get a little annoyed at having this great new TV in the bedroom and the old 68cm CRT in the family room so I decided that we needed one in there too. It had to be a little bigger than the one I had already bought so I went in search of a LA32R71BDX.

I checked out eBay and found brand new (not seconds) ones for $1799 plus $50 delivery. I ended up talking to the guy on the phone and he said I could have one for $1700 delivered (I mentioned I already had the 26" model and I think he thought I had bought it from him). So with that in mind I went back to JB to bargain with them. Their ticket price for the LA32R71BDX was $1821. I asked for the "best price" and they said $1750. I told them I could get one for $1700 and they said they could do no better than $1750. I said fine and started to leave the store.

We were almost out of the store when the sales guy came after us and asked if we would buy it for $1720. I didn't want to give in right away so I said I'd think about it. For $20 it was better to be buying from a store rather than eBay so I finally went back to him and told him I'd take it.

So now I have the 26" and 32" models and am very happy with them. As many have said in this thread the sound leaves a bit to be desired but that is OK in the rooms we are using the TVs in. Picture quality and reception are excellent.

Now I wonder where I could put the 40" model .......

Hi, SydneyGuy,

Which store gave you that price, I am thinking of getting that model.

cheers

Hi, SydneyGuy,

Which store gave you that price, I am thinking of getting that model.

JB HiFi at Westfield Hornsby in Sydney.