New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

Sweet - thanks for the update. No blotches on the screen I presume?

None at all. If you've got the option of a change over, i deffinately reccomend you check the Sony out. RRP on both sets is about the same, so i don't see why you shouldn't be able to.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tested all the inputs on my 40R last night. 2 X Component, S-Video and PC and no issues The only problem I have seen on my set has been Channel 7 SD having overscan. The other day only half the top half of the text was showing in the banner at the bottom of the screen. If I turn both my TV's on I can see the seven logo sitting at the very bottom of the screen on the Sammy and on my old CRT there is a gap under the logo before the edge of the picture. Not a major problem but one I want right.

Have contacted service agents in WA and one said take it back if it's only a week old and the other one tried to convince me it couldn't do it and I must have it on the wrong aspect ratio for that to happen even after I told him i have another TV in the next room that I can watch the same thing on. Also said watch everything on HD if thats alright. Rung Samsung and waiting for them to call me back. If they try my patience too far I will take it back but wouldn't get another as they are probably all adjusted the same. My original thought was that it would be a quick call followed by a quick visit to tweak the overscan and I'd be happy.

Actually I saw the same phenomenon on my dad's LG 4100 set top box. I'm sure it was channel 7 SD which was overscanned exactly as you describe......so it may not be the tv's fault. Maybe channel 7 are sending are faulty signal?? Can anyone else confirm if they have seen this?

Actually I saw the same phenomenon on my dad's LG 4100 set top box. I'm sure it was channel 7 SD which was overscanned exactly as you describe......so it may not be the tv's fault. Maybe channel 7 are sending are faulty signal?? Can anyone else confirm if they have seen this?

Thanks I think it can be with the transmission but as the Sammy has built in tuner and my other crt with stb running I can compare by standing in the doorway and looking at both.

Hi everyone,

Ive been reading this thread for ages, and I like many others want to know how to get DVI to HDMI working on the sammy r series.

I stumbled across these settings at another site.

So here is whats needed from the Nvidia Advanced Settings,

Front porch = 56

Back porch = 200

Sync pol = negative

Front end active = 1360

Sync width = 144

Backend active = 1360

Front porch = 1

Back porch = 19

Sync pol = positive

Front end active = 768

Sync width = 3

Backend active = 768

Refresh rate = 50.001hz

Haven't tried it for myself yet but i thought yous might want to know.

Cheers

smijo

Hi all

Well I did a quick trawl through the last 15 pages and it seems the 40" r71 is winning the duds comp. way back in august Flyingfox spoke about bright 4 corners, 40", dethb4dishonor said bright spots in his 32", wedge shut down on own 40", luke123, similar thing with heat, Gutty... ongoing saga 40", Minto, no pc input 40", surroundfan , on going...40"

So what's with the 40"s bigger is not always better. Just thought you might be interested.....

Time for an update.

I eventually got my PC input to work last weekend. After trying 3 different VGA cables I discoverered that the PC input jack on the TV is very fickle about the type of plug in it. I have eventually found a plug that the Sammy is happy to detect. (Interestingly all the other cables/plugs I tried work fine on my old Sony Trinitron G400 monitor, which made fault finding very difficult). I went with one of the gold plated plugs and now the TV works as advertised.

I have also checked for any "sun spots" and can happily say that I have none.

By the way my software version is T_CANBDAUO_1001.

Now I am very happy with the LA40R71. Shame it took so long.

Hi everyone,

Ive been reading this thread for ages, and I like many others want to know how to get DVI to HDMI working on the sammy r series.

Front porch = 56

Back porch = 200

Sync pol = negative

Front end active = 1360

Sync width = 144

Backend active = 1360

Front porch = 1

Back porch = 19

Sync pol = positive

Front end active = 768

Sync width = 3

Backend active = 768

Refresh rate = 50.001hz

Cheers

smijo

Anyone willing to try? I would be interested but do not have the cable and like others would like to know it works before I bougtht one. Will ask around and see if I can borrow one over the weekend.

Hi everyone

I have spent a fair amount of time going through this forum and others to see if I can find some solutions to a number of issues I am having in trying to hook an HTPC up to our 40" Samsung R7.

Prior to trying to get MCE running we never had a problem with the TV - I thought it had a great picture, particularly Digital TV with the inbuilt tuner.

I have read all the problems with trying to set up an HTPC through the HDMI/DVI connection with this TV. We can get it producing a picture but suffer from the usual overscan issues.

We have therefore tried to connect the HTPC by VGA-VGA or DVI(from the PC)-VGA. Doing either we can get the picture through but it suffers from a very annoying flicker. Occasionally the desktop looks pretty clear but when we go into MCE the flicker begins, usually in the top right hand corner but quickly spreading over the whole screen. The picture is still watchable but there is no way you would settle for it. (Note that the flicker does not show up when connected DVI-DVI......but this connection of course has other issues).

We have tried everything on the TV settings but nothing seems to get rid of it. Do we need to find a top of the line VGA cable? Could it be a fault with the PC connection on the TV? I don't think it is a video card issue but I could of course be wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/comments.......as it is becoming increasingly frustrating .......ready to ditch the HTPC out the window!

Once this problem is sorted I will of course move on to the next one........terrible stutter on Dig TV channels through the HTPC........but one thing at a time....

Cheers guys

Edited by CampBirriga

Hi everyone

We have tried everything on the TV settings but nothing seems to get rid of it. Do we need to find a top of the line VGA cable? Could it be a fault with the PC connection on the TV? I don't think it is a video card issue but I could of course be wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/comments.......as it is becoming increasingly frustrating .......ready to ditch the HTPC out the window!

Once this problem is sorted I will of course move on to the next one........terrible stutter on Dig TV channels through the HTPC........but one thing at a time....

Cheers guys

CampBirriga Have you tried the HTPC on a PC monitor?

I have a PC connected to my 40R with cheap vga cable and it is a good qaulity desktop with settings of 1360X768 @ 60hz on my PC. Also have a tuner card and channels display correctly.

CampBirriga Have you tried the HTPC on a PC monitor?

I have a PC connected to my 40R with cheap vga cable and it is a good qaulity desktop with settings of 1360X768 @ 60hz on my PC. Also have a tuner card and channels display correctly.

Cheers Gar.

very envious of people who have got theirs all working well!

When the guys at auspc put in the new video card they tested it at the shop on a monitor and it worked fine apparently. Am going to have the girlfriend (she has much more IT knowledge than me) take it in to her work and try the HTPC on monitors and other Samsung LCD's.......if it works on those screens then it may be that the R7 is the problem.

The Dig TV stutter is the other big issue. We have a GeForce 7600 video card running with PowerDVD 6 and a Hauppage 1300 MCE Digital DVB/Analogue TV Tuner (as we wanted the option of running our Fox digital through it). Not sure if our signal strength is causing stutter......our wall antenna connection is pretty ordinary (loose) but the inbuilt tuner in the R7 still put out a v.good picture.......

Guest maximus9314
Hi everyone,

Brilliant! Much appreicated for sharing the finding.

I'll try it tonight on my Nvidia GeForce 6600GT + DVI<->HDMI + 32" and let everyone know the outcome.

Guest maximus9314
Brilliant! Much appreicated for sharing the finding.

I'll try it tonight on my Nvidia GeForce 6600GT + DVI<->HDMI + 32" and let everyone know the outcome.

Bugger that. Tried the settings in both Nvidia advanced settings and PowerStrip to no avail. The Samsung just keep giving me the good & old 'Mode not supported'.

Can people who claimed to get it working PLEASE come forward and give some pointers. :blink:

Hi everyone,

Cheers

smijo

Didn't work for me either. is there a link to the source? maybe there's some other setting that needs to be en/dis-abled for this to work?

Replaced the Samsung with a Sony. No bright corners and nice, even backlighting. Well worth the extra $300 (plus warranty).

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=42849 for pics.

Good stuff ! Played with any of the picture settings yet ?

Just wondering what the country of manufacture is for everyone's set. I bought my 32" in August and it says Made in Korea. My friend bought one a week ago and his is Made in Thailand.

Perhaps this would explain the problems with the recent batches?

Hmmm, very interesting. :blink:

Just checked my 32".... good quality Korea... That is very interesting, as I said Samsung was ( might still be) good value for money but if they have compromised quality for cost them walk away... I think we the earlier purchasers were lucky. Perhaps they got the Thailand facility to bolster the quick orders they needed to fill the huge demand, and it backfired....

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any overscan adjustment on the R series. I am waiting for a service tech to call me back but have looked at the screenshots of the service menu in the thread and do not see anything that looks like overscan adjustment.

I have had my 40R for nearly 2 weeks and not having any major issues other than some ovescan which I thought could be adjusted but if not I might take the set back. It's not bad but I'm fussy with a $$ new purchase. I had it running side by side with my old 76cm ws crt and the text banner on the bottom of the Samsung (Ch7 SD) was only displaying half the text on the bottom of the screen while the crt was displaying it all.

Picture quality is on the high side of reasonable but not close to a friends plasma screen so I would choose plasma if picture quality was my highest priority.

Hey guys.

Just wondering if I connect my TV (40" Samsung) to the surround sound system via optical out on the TV, will I get sound out from the DTV tuner > surround sound system?

Yes, although bear in mind that 5.1 is rare on FTA TV...

can anyone tell me what the Calibration Option does in the Service Menu?

I accidentally ran the HDMI Calibration and now I have "HDMI Calibration FAIL"

Serve me right going into the sevice menu. :blink: