New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a good price. but good to wait and cough up for the r81 instead. should be released today.

Who will have it released today?

I think you will find it will be mid next week, if not by the end of the week before any stores display or stock it.

If I am mistaken let me where to go and I will be there in a flash.

Hi guys, I've cracked and puchased the R71. I know its not the newest and its been out for a while, but I purchased it at $1450 from the Good Guys in Victoria, it fitted into my budget (I actaully wanted the Panasonic 600A).

I just wanna thank the ppl that post on this board because if it wasnt for the ppl that post here I wouldnt have been as well informed as I was when I when to purchase.

Thanks all!

hi all, I am still following this thread even though I have had my 32" since August last year. The prices now are so much better of coarse, but just to give you an idea of what is a so called good price in Wait Awhile (WA) Retravision 32" is advertised as $ 1699 and the 26" is $1499. I paied $2020 8 months ago, I am still happy with what I paied at the time whe the the best price then was $2800. So you are all doing well in the east. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys'

I just purchased the LA40R71BDX, did a lot of shopping around and finally settled on Domayne - who after a fair amnt of haggling got it for $2180 incl extended warranty to 5yrs + set of component monster cables (RRP $199).

Am really happy, no issues thus far.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

There are plenty of 40 Inch LA40R71BDX being sold online by ebay powersellers, I was just wondering if it would be a bad idea to purchase one as they are significantly cheaper than other prices I've seen. Or can someone let me know of a more reliable seller with competitive prices? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

> digitality

Help Wanted

My Sammy LA40F7 is fantastic. Really great PQ.

But I have a problem - It does not support HDMI at 480i, 480p, 576p at 50Hz or 480i, 576i, 576p at 60Hz. (Page 5 of the Manual)

My shiny new Onkyo Amp uses 480i at 60Hz or 576p at 50Hz to deliver it's on-screen setup menus. So I cannot use these menus via HDMI.

In addition, I had to change my DVD player to Progressive Scan in order that the Sammy would accept it.

(The Sammy de-interlaces better than my DVD player, so I prefer to send the interlaced signal)

Given that the Sammy supports ALL modes via Component connections, it's very dissapointing to find that this 'fully HDMI compatible' machine does not cover 6 of the HDMI modes.

Is there a firmware upgrade for this problem? Or maybe a hardware fix?

Currently, I'm using Component connections - a bit of a let-down for a 'Full HDMI' machine.

Any help will be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have a Samsung LA32R71 which I absolutely love, but I am having a few sound issues.

I know they have pretty poor speakers to start with however I am still having a couple of problems.

1. The volume when I watch TV is really poor.. Even on full volume its really not that loud at all. However when I play games, or watch DVDs the volume is much louder. Is this normal?

2. Occassionally when I turn my TV on the sound is really crackly.. almost sounds like a blown speaker. If i turn the set off then on again it usually fixes it, but yeah its still annoying me that something might be wrong with the speakers.

The TV is still under warranty so if there is something wrong I want to get it fixed ASAP.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks very much guys :)

• 1 month later...
jivnjim, from the research I did, apparently its the same panel with different processing engines ie. DNIe or Bravia with different casings.

Also, the V only has 1 HDMI and 1 component inputs IIRC.

Have been more than happy with my LA40R since I've had it this week. HD looks great and Divx scale quite well although Foxtel have been slightly worse moving from a CRT.

HTH

C.

Hi Guys,

Dilemma is the only word I can use between Samsung LA40RBDX and Sony KDL40V3100. The looks is amazing in Samsung (UNBEATABLE) when compared to Sony, but I guess when it comes to clarity..Bravia (I think to my eye) beats the DNIe engine. My mate works as a manager in Retravision and he is offering me Sony for almost the same price as Samsung ($100 difference). In this kind of a situation will you go for the Sony (name, clarity and 1yr warranty) or samsung (looks and 3 yr warranty)???@#3&^ . Please help me :((((

• 2 months later...
Guest SydneyGuy

I've had my LA32R71BDX and LA26R71BDX for almost a year now. Both have performed well and I am happy with my purchase. But I wonder if there has been any firmware updates for them??? With the new 7 day EPGs starting to emerge it would be good if there was an update so that owners of these models could see 7 days rather than just Now/Next.

Surely updates like this would be fairly trivial and I hope that Samsung hasn't forgotten about these "old" models with the advent of the R81s etc.

Hear Hear, I agree, most electronoics have firmware updates so why have we not had one on the air waves.

The UK mobs have has some over the airwaves... I am sure that most of us with this model are happy but there is always somthing to tweak... come on Samsung send us an upgrade for christmas... my firmware is T_CANBDAUNO_1005 09 May 2006.... I know there is later ones around

Happy christmas to all on the forums..

We would more than likely need to take it into a service centre and let a technition play with it with his / her laptop and hope for the best ... the manual states that firmware updates should be over the airwaves on a particular TV station like say ABC or commercial. who knows. I have asked before if any one has had an upgrade done like this and so far no response. I think that samsung are worried that upgrades will glitch some TV's and cause more problems than its worth.

By the way nice to see chatter on this thread again.

Hi guys, long time viewer, first time poster...

I have just bought the LA40R81BDX and have found it to be on a slight lean to the left. I rang the Good Guys (who I bought it from) and they said they've had customers complain of this before and to try adjusting the stand. I did this and now it's only about 2 millimetres out (it was about an inch originally). Anyone else have this issue? I have the right to return it but am hesitant just incase the one I replace it with is the same. Also, how durable are the screens? When I adjusted the stand I lay it flat on my couch face down and although it's a soft surface I was just wondering if the screen could flex or distort when layed on an uneven surface. It still looks fine though. But with any LCD screen when the screen is off I can see 'ripples' where the light catches it on an angle. Am I being a bit too paranoid???

We would more than likely need to take it into a service centre and let a technition play with it with his / her laptop and hope for the best ... the manual states that firmware updates should be over the airwaves on a particular TV station like say ABC or commercial. who knows. I have asked before if any one has had an upgrade done like this and so far no response. I think that samsung are worried that upgrades will glitch some TV's and cause more problems than its worth.

By the way nice to see chatter on this thread again.

I ma not sure about this

I read some where that firmware are through air and comes as popup on screen while watching programs and kilk ok to installl for majority of HD ranges.

I think from these year we can continue this thread with our year experince with R series

Edited by desi

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, Looking for some assistance from R series owners....

I just received a 26R series from Samsung as part of a current promo.

I have 2 queires though...

1. I'm sure there is a technical term for this but I'll describe what I am seeing when there is a dark scene on a movie or show. The people in the dark scenes appear to go very shiny or their hair looks like a "negative" in photo terms....Is this normal with this level of LCD or is it a problem. The picture looks really good otherwise..

2. I hear a slight crackling in the audio coming out of the right speaker in some instances. Not always there but happens every now and then...

Hopefully someone can help...

Thanks.

Hi, Looking for some assistance from R series owners....

I just received a 26R series from Samsung as part of a current promo.

I have 2 queires though...

1. I'm sure there is a technical term for this but I'll describe what I am seeing when there is a dark scene on a movie or show. The people in the dark scenes appear to go very shiny or their hair looks like a "negative" in photo terms....Is this normal with this level of LCD or is it a problem. The picture looks really good otherwise..

2. I hear a slight crackling in the audio coming out of the right speaker in some instances. Not always there but happens every now and then...

Hopefully someone can help...

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Love My display BUT has ANYONE EVER had one of these fictitious firmware upgrades for our LA32R71BDX displays.... it's been well over 18 months and I have never seen a firmware update yet.???? Or was it by some technical miracle released with the Perfect Firmware :lol: