New R Series Samsung LCD TV range

Got the pana 42px600a for $2750 with 4 yr warranty (panasonic) xtra $250 from Hardly Normal this morning. Just got to get furniture for it (can't install it until I get rid of the current ent unit) and I'll be able to start watching it. Bugger waiting for Xmas!!!

Good one. Maybe I should pay for your airfare to come up to Brisbane and you can negotiate a sale for me :blink: It would probably work out cheaper for me.

Better to stay on topic though, this is supposed to be a thread about the R series Samsung. There are a few other threads that are discussing the new Panasonic plasmas.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im after a new 32" LCD TV.

I had my heart set on a new 32" Samsung R series.. but after reading this im not so sure.

I will be using a wii/xbox 360/ps3 on the screen, is the 'game mode' available on the Samsung really a big bonus or more of a gimmick?

My budget is around $2000, do you think the Samsung 32" R series LCD is the best screen going around for that price?

What other screens should I be considering (e.g. Sony, Panasonic)?

Im a total n00b in this department so any advice on brands/models or anything else is much appreciated :blink:

ab84, there are a few other threads that might help with your search. Have a look at these for a start:

Panasonic Tx-32lxd600a, New Panasonic LCD Range

Most Capable 32" Hd Lcd Tv For Displaying Sd Television

New Sony V Vs Samsung R Bdx Series

If you're interested in the Samsungs you could also to look at some of the earlier models, there are still a few of those around.

Im after a new 32" LCD TV.

I had my heart set on a new 32" Samsung R series.. but after reading this im not so sure.

I will be using a wii/xbox 360/ps3 on the screen, is the 'game mode' available on the Samsung really a big bonus or more of a gimmick?

My budget is around $2000, do you think the Samsung 32" R series LCD is the best screen going around for that price?

I'd take a look at the other threads to help you in your choice but let me say this: since reading some of the posts here I have taken a very critical look at my 32R and I must say that it is impressive. It lacks the sound of my old Mitsubishi but then it does not need a crane to lift it into place and is designed for home theatre/extension speakers if you want surround sound.

I don't know about the 'game mode' but would guess if that is what they plug then Samsung has provided all you would want. No, I'm not paid by them but have bought a lot of gear from them and love that 3 year warranty.

We have used ours for Powerpoint presentations as we had been using our old Mitsibushi. It just gets fed via an 'S-video' connector from the back of the room for an audience of 20-30 and I must say the effect at the last workshop was brilliant.

Have fun and choose something that makes you happy! :blink:

not going to start a new thread, ill just plonk it to the end of this "things i dont like about my sammy" one. :D

I have a 40", and id like some opinions of other people with this tv.

my problem is not so much as a blurring but more like morphing.

its is the strangest thing I have seen on a tv. it is especially evident on close-ups of peoples faces. while they are talking certain parts of the face and hair refresh to the next frame but others dont. the result is a face that morphs and moves around in ways that can only be explained, as my girlfriend said "like being on drugs". :blink:

If anyone watched or caught any of that australian movie that was on, on saturday night, it happened regularly in that. or a few weeks back umm, what was it called. "the real jack and the beanstalk" or something like that, same thing.

other shows it is not noticeable at all.

id be interested in anything anyone has to say regarding this, because ive done plenty of search but nothing is really showing up.

For the person who questioned where the returned LA32R71BDX are going.

One word...... Ebay.

If you look there, about 7 sellers have Factory Seconds that have a 1 year warrenty. The extended warrenties are from them also, not Samsung direct which is why I haven't purchased one. I'd prefer a 3 year Samsung warenty.

Cheers

Guest daslacker

Hey everyone,Newbie here,been reading all through these posts in the sammy thread.Thanks for all the info.

Okay,I just bought the sammy LA32R71BDX and I sorta like it......Xbox(not 360) is great.DVDs are okay.....

but damn foxtel looks cr@p..blurry..and i can't watch sport at all and I love foxtel and sport.It's the main thing I watch.

I bought this cable for foxtel http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/CA0400 but the PQ still looks inferior at best.It's scart----->component 1.I thought this might do the trick,but PQ doesn;t come close to my Phillips 51cm CRT (worlds apart).Still blurry.Peoples faces still look smudged.Better but still mediocre.

Is there anything I can do to make foxtel look like it did on my old Phillips?I love the sammy but foxtel has to look good for me...

The oldies love my tv....atm...I'm happy to let them have it for like $1300(they want to pay $1700) and go back to the phillips....but I really want to keep it.

U see channel 50,80,90 look great....but foxtel grrrrr

Can i buy anything to make Foxtel digital(not IQ) look good?Change my set-up in anyway?

Any help would much be appreciated

cheers,

das

We've got the 40" Samsung and enjoying the big picture. Just need to make sure we keep our distance!! Although Apple PowerBook connected through VGA looks awesome.

I bought the Foxtel cable from Dick Smith too and was disappointed at the seeming lower quality of picture compared to our previous set up using SCART to composite (yellow, red, white RCA cables) on old Hitachi CRT TV. Any hints on how to improve the picture from the Foxtel cable would be appreciated. Or do we just have to wait until Foxtel go truely digital, i.e. digital out from set top box instead of the current analogue!!!

Thanks,

monitoring your responses here, plan to get the 32" BDX Sammie..

So whats up with Foxtel? .. have it too.

So if you are using Component [YUV] out from the Foxtel STB to the Sammie .. t'would be the equivalent of a SD STB.. roughly. And you're saying the picture isn't great? mmm

Is FTA the same? .. dodgy picture?

What inputs are you using for DVD ? Component / HDMI / Composite? .. quality good then?

Wondering how to connect up my TV to my home theatre system to get digital audio out.

I believe it's a Fibre Optic cable like a TOSlink thing. Is this right or can you use Coax with an RCA plug.

Also where did u buy your Optic cable from?

Coax will be a round connector, TOSLink a square one with a D-shaped receptacle and central socket to accept the fibre connection. Depends on your TV model which you have. Output either to the TOSLink / Coax input of your AV Receiver.

Toslink for the audio out...

I'm currently using coax to output audio to the HTS but i can also use Digital Out

Wondering if anyone has observed differences between the two.

I'm definitely getting audio to all 5 channels thru the analogue method too.

I'm currently using coax to output audio to the HTS but i can also use Digital Out

Wondering if anyone has observed differences between the two.

I'm definitely getting audio to all 5 channels thru the analogue method too.

You may well be getting audio to all five speakers, but i'm pretty sure this will be being converted from a 2 channel analog signal by your AVR. To get dolby out of your Sammie without the AVR having to convert anything you have to use the optical out. Mind you, not that many shows are braodcast in dolby anyway.

hey guys

i have been away a while - good to see this thread is still going well.

i have had my sammy 32 white tele for a couple of months now and remain very happy with it - it is wall mounted and i use it exclusively for watching FTA DTV. i, like many others was disappointed with the sound - however, i have made some adjustments to the equalizer and it sounds much better to my ears - i'd be interested in what other think.

one of my concerns was a perceived lack of volume and depht to the sound. then i adjusted all the equalizer to the maximums - wow what a difference! try it yourself if u r just using the tele speakers and not your hi fi.

the other thing i have noticed is the big difference in volume swithcing between ordinary TV (louder) and digital/

The volume of non-dtv is definetly much louder, i could confirm this :blink:.

Iv owned the 32R for roughly 1 month now, im very impressed with it. The only downsize iv noticed, is the left speaker buzz's when doing some types of sound, i guess this is in the unit itself, not the cone.

Otherwise, i would definetly recommend it for people jumping into the DTV/HD world. Just don't expect your old equipment (ps2/vcr etc) to look very nice.

Yip sound is louder on FTA so by the time it takes for the unit to switch from DTV to FTA my thumb is now trained to lower the sound by a fair bit :blink:

The buzzing sound only occurs on mine in DTV I switch to FTA and back ... all fixed... cannot replicate the sequence of sounds to make it happen at will.... so will live with it... It only happens once a month... I think...

basejump.. are all kitchen things in now?... I found some equlizer settings on the uk thread made it a bit more oommmffiii.... worth a look every now and then.

Still happy with my set. by the way in my neck of the woods they are still selling them at $2300, still +$300 more than i bought several months ago.

Hey everyone,Newbie here,been reading all through these posts in the sammy thread.Thanks for all the info.

Okay,I just bought the sammy LA32R71BDX and I sorta like it......Xbox(not 360) is great.DVDs are okay.....

but damn foxtel looks cr@p..blurry..and i can't watch sport at all and I love foxtel and sport.It's the main thing I watch.

I bought this cable for foxtel http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/CA0400 but the PQ still looks inferior at best.It's scart----->component 1.I thought this might do the trick,but PQ doesn;t come close to my Phillips 51cm CRT (worlds apart).Still blurry.Peoples faces still look smudged.Better but still mediocre.

Is there anything I can do to make foxtel look like it did on my old Phillips?I love the sammy but foxtel has to look good for me...

The oldies love my tv....atm...I'm happy to let them have it for like $1300(they want to pay $1700) and go back to the phillips....but I really want to keep it.

U see channel 50,80,90 look great....but foxtel grrrrr

Can i buy anything to make Foxtel digital(not IQ) look good?Change my set-up in anyway?

Any help would much be appreciated

cheers,

das

Heya!

I am far from an expert and still playing with the settings, but I too was dissapointed when I first saw Foxtel on my 40 inch Sammy.

I used a SCART to RGB/Component connector into the back of the Samsung, and changed the Foxtel Display settings to 16:9 from 4:3 which made a big difference. The 4:3 display looked stretch and grainy, although not all channels fill up the screen it does look more natural.

Let me know if you find any way to make it look better.

- M

Just bought a Samsung R Series 32"... stoked with it. Screen is fine no problems or discolouration and picture looks great.

Questions:

1. In my xbox 360 system settings, there are 3 display options - 480p 720p 1080i. I understand that p is better than i. In the user manual its says: This LCD TV displays its optimum picture resolution in 720p mode. This LCD TV displays its maximum picture resolution in 1080i mode. I have had the xbox setting on 1080i and its worked fine and picture looks great. My question is, will i get a better picture using 720p or 1080i?

2. I plugged my old n64 into my screen the other day.. the picture looked a bit blurry. WIll using my n64 on my new screen damage it at all? Are there any settings i should adjust to make the picture clearer? Should I adjust the Picture Size from 16:9 to 4:3?

3. I am using a standard aerial cord for my TV, is there a special high quality aerial that i should use to get a better picture for my TV? I dont know much about HD so if there are any other cords I should buy, or settings i should use to get a better picture, I would love to know :blink:

Thanks everyone!

Sorry about the newbie question, but what is the difference (other than the builtin HD tuner and price) between the Samsung LA40S71BX and the Samsung LA40R71BDX? Specifically, is the pic quality significantly different?

Which one do you think is a better buy?

I have an employee discount quote from a friend for a LA40R71BDX at $2600. Is this as good a deal as it seems?

All comments appreciated!

Street price for LA32R71BDX is now $1750 as reported a couple of pages back. I have also been offered this price at a couple of places in Brisbane, so they are definitely prepared to sell it for that price. I have opted for the Panasonic, ordered it yesterday, TX32LXD600a, based on it's performance on SD content, (it's very good on HD as well ofcourse and has better connectivity).

Street price for LA32R71BDX is now $1750 as reported a couple of pages back. I have also been offered this price at a couple of places in Brisbane, so they are definitely prepared to sell it for that price. I have opted for the Panasonic, ordered it yesterday, TX32LXD600a, based on it's performance on SD content, (it's very good on HD as well ofcourse and has better connectivity).

Hi dclay,

Do you mind me asking what price you ended up getting the Panasonic for?

daryl, Well, this is a thread about the Samsungs so we are getting a little off topic here, but you asked the question so I will answer it. I could not get anyone to budge below $2200. But I was really keen on this TV for a number of reasons so I went through the union shopper and got it for $1930 (no extended warranty). So this is not street price just yet, (at least I could not get any of the retailers anywhere near that price). Out of respect for the union shopper I will not divulge who the retailer is. Anyway I expect after xmas you will be able to get it for around this price and maybe cheaper as LCD prices seem to be dropping almost by the day. I couldn't wait as this is a xmas present for my wife.

So you shouldn't be paying any more then $2200 for the Panasonic TX32LXD600A right now, I was offered that at a few spots. The more places you visit, the more chance you have of getting it cheaper. It depends a lot on which sales droid you get to talk too.