Good Guys extended warranty

Hi

I asked the sales guy in a Good Guys store about extended Sony warranty (I knew that Sony charge about $600 for this) and he gave me the info for "Good Guys Horizon 5 Extended Warranty" which cost $175 (1 year Sony Manuf + 4 yrs extended warranty). Is the GG warranty worth the paper it is written on or should I pay more for Sony's extended warranty?

Any thoughts on this?

Greg

Hi

I asked the sales guy in a Good Guys store about extended Sony warranty (I knew that Sony charge about $600 for this) and he gave me the info for "Good Guys Horizon 5 Extended Warranty" which cost $175 (1 year Sony Manuf + 4 yrs extended warranty). Is the GG warranty worth the paper it is written on or should I pay more for Sony's extended warranty?

Any thoughts on this?

Greg

Any takers?

I to am interested in peoples views / opinions on this subject.

Has anyone had to make a claim?

Any takers?

I to am interested in peoples views / opinions on this subject.

Has anyone had to make a claim?

You have to read the POLICY, if the GG extended warranty is the same to the manufacturers waranty, then you are getting a good deal, (you are in fact getting extended Sony warranty).

Compare both the policies, you should be able to make a good decission.

I read the GG extended warrranty, and although the underwriter does also provide many of the credit card schemes with their "extended warranty" for Gold / Platinum cards, the terms & conditions are quite diffferent.

From what I read, it said that their extended warranty ends if they replace your TV with a new unit or one of equivalent value. In other words, the extended warranty is only good for 1 unrepairable fault.

So IMO you buy a 5 year ext. warranty and at year 3 your TV dies, there is no further warranty and you'd have to "rebuy" a new ext warranty.

I read the GG extended warrranty, and although the underwriter does also provide many of the credit card schemes with their "extended warranty" for Gold / Platinum cards, the terms & conditions are quite diffferent.

From what I read, it said that their extended warranty ends if they replace your TV with a new unit or one of equivalent value. In other words, the extended warranty is only good for 1 unrepairable fault.

So IMO you buy a 5 year ext. warranty and at year 3 your TV dies, there is no further warranty and you'd have to "rebuy" a new ext warranty.

I would take that since it will only cost me $175 to get a new TV.

yes, that seems to be the same with most store extended warrantys. Harvey Norman was the same. I took the view that it was a 'last resort' warranty and should only be used when everything else had been tried (i.e. beating up the manufacturer)...

I think the Sony warranty would be a genuine warranty, but I can't be sure of that ..

yes, that seems to be the same with most store extended warrantys. Harvey Norman was the same. I took the view that it was a 'last resort' warranty and should only be used when everything else had been tried (i.e. beating up the manufacturer)...

I think the Sony warranty would be a genuine warranty, but I can't be sure of that ..

Thats funny coz when I went to HN in town a while back the guy said their extended warranty was for 5 years regardless of what happened ( I told him about the GG warranty) but when I asked to see the actual disclosure statement, they didn't have one in the store to show me - but could do a deal on the day !

Just another one for ethical sales practices 101

Also check who carries out the repairs after year one. Is it Sony? I doubt it. I've been caught before with extended warranty that was peddled out to the lowest bidding repairer, and they had no idea what they were doing. It took me around six month to get the thing fixed and that only happened because I went back to the original store (Myer) and finally got them to pay for a tech. from the manufacturer. He fixed in 10 minutes what the contracted repairer could not after 6 monthe and a dozen visits.

Read the fine print and ask questions, not all extended warranties are the same.

Grant

i think the good guys warranty (horizon) is actually pretty good have a read of the T&C..

here's a snip

"There is no claims limit, however if it becomes necessary to replace your product with a brand new equivlant product then this warranty will end when the replacement occurs . In the event that a product of equivalent specification is not available. We reserve the right to make a cash settlement up to the value of the original purchase price"

nothing really bad about that..

Yes the GG warranty is OK except for the usual disclaimers like image retention, dead pixels and the "1 replacement ends the warranty" clause.

It's alot cheaper than the manufacturer warranties, it's a matter of you get what you pay for - Panasonic will stick you $1500 for 5 year warranty on a 50" !

It's alot cheaper than the manufacturer warranties, it's a matter of you get what you pay for - Panasonic will stick you $1500 for 5 year warranty on a 50" !

Is that right?!!!

Sheesh! That makes the Pioneer much better value then in that case, it seems to be around $1000 dearer than the Panasonic but includes free delivery & setup plus 5 yr FULL on-site warranty, incl a loner if they need to take yours away

Guest cliveb

GG warranty also includes fair ware and tear on the tv also is transferable if you sell the set. I dont think that the HN covers these cases.

From what I was told, they outsource the service the same way everyone else does.. but with the brand name behind it, the consumer would think it was done by Panasonic techs themselves.

I do know that when I was looking at the PHD8WK commercial panel, the 5 years was almost half the price compared to the PV500/60.

Does make you wonder doesn't it, what games people play when setting prices.

Hi

Thanks for all your thoughts on the topic. I went to Harvey Norman a couple of weeks ago and I was under the impression that their extended warranty was "Sony's". I will definitely asked to see the terms and conditions for theirs to validate that.

My problem with GG (& HN if not Sony warranty) is that they do not say they will use a "Sony" authorised repairer so it could be anyone. I guess I will have to make a decision with value for money and risk in mind. Flip a coin :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Any thoughts on this?

Greg

Used the good guys extended warranty with a faulty DVD remote, - two years after I had purchased the unit. Rang the insurers (company that covers the extended warranty), who simply gave me a number, which I then presented to the good guys warehouse and they kindly presented me with a brand new unit ( in the box). I thought that was pretty great. The best part having to travel 2 hours to my nearest good guys store, was that I didnt have to leave the thing there, have it looked at by a technician and then maybe a couple of months later after numerous phone calls have to drive another 4 hours (there and back ) to collect the new replaced unit. After all. who has a spare dvd player just hanging around.

I mean put your car in for a service and you can often get a courtesy vehicle - why not courtesy tv, courtesy dvd player, courtesy blah blah blah?

• 1 year later...

My Samsung Plasma's screen is playing up 2 years through a 4 years Horizon extended warranty. Contacted Horizon Monday with the details, they told me a service mob will be in touch within 24 hours. Phoned them again Wed morning, still no contact people, told me repair manager was away (obviously things stop when he's not around) and will re-submit job sheet, no contact made with me wed. Have to say Im less than impressed with this so far.

Edited by dilligafocau