Sign in to follow this  
dkmaj

37" PYROD LCD (1920x1080) @ KMART

why did you purchase an upscaling dvd player ? are you aware that everything you feed it will be upscaled anyway by the tvs internal scaler ? So if you play dvd it will upscale to 1080i anyway without the need for an upscaling player

Read above Junkyard:

Please trust me when I say there is no comparison. I have done this test many times. Interlaced content is rarely treated properly by cheap displays. Most of them bob everything and ALL of them bob video based material. A good progressive player is the only way to go unless you have a high end display with top notch cadence detection and deinterlacing.

There is no comparison between the bob deinterlacing and basic scaling of a cheap LCD versus that in a good quality progressive/up-scaling DVD player. An up-scaling player is an absolute MUST on a screen like this. However it should definitely be set to 720p not 1080i so that the player does the deinterlacing (which will almost certainly look far better than the basic 1080i deinterlacing of the LCD).

Check out this thread for more information

Read above Junkyard:

There is no comparison between the bob deinterlacing and basic scaling of a cheap LCD versus that in a good quality progressive/up-scaling DVD player. An up-scaling player is an absolute MUST on a screen like this. However it should definitely be set to 720p not 1080i so that the player does the deinterlacing (which will almost certainly look far better than the basic 1080i deinterlacing of the LCD).

Check out this thread for more information

you think the dvd player doesn't bob de interlace to 720 ? don't make me laugh..

hi guys

can you explain what the 15% off dealie is?

I'm really interested in getting one in brisbane for this $1600 price. tried ringing a few kmarts but they don't (or claim not to) know anything about it. Haven't been able to get through to the morayfield branch.

you think the dvd player doesn't bob de interlace to 720 ? don't make me laugh..

Oh dear. Someone needs to check their facts. All decent progressive players, particularly those incorporating the FLI2300 chipset like the Pioneer, use a combination of progressive flag detection (impossible for ANY display to use) and proper cadence detection to get around incorrect flags. Something a screen like this lacks. The cadence chipset locks onto the source frame rate (determining whether its native interlaced video or 24/25fps film) then applies weave deinterlacing to film and motion adaptive deinterlacing to video. This results in a full 576 lines before it is up-scaled to 720p using high-tap region based scaling (as opposed to the basic 16-32tap scaling found in LCDs of this variety).

Bob scaling on the other hand (which this LCD would certainly use for 1080i) simply scales interlaced fields directly to the native resolution of the panel without weaving successive fields together.

Only the cheapest of the cheap Kmart style DVD players use bob deinterlacing. The vast majority use proper 2:2 weave processing and good quality scaling to 720p.

Read the well respected Secrets progressive DVD player shootout database to see which ones use 2:2 weave and which ones don’t if you don’t believe me.

Please check your facts before posting such uneducated rubbish next time. 5 minutes on Google will set you straight.

hi guys

can you explain what the 15% off dealie is?

I'm really interested in getting one in brisbane for this $1600 price. tried ringing a few kmarts but they don't (or claim not to) know anything about it. Haven't been able to get through to the morayfield branch.

ok, the price was supposedly $2299, then on special a week or so ago for $1899, after the sale the price suppose to go back up, then they had a 15% storewide offer, some kmarts gave the 15% off high price, some gave it off the weeks before special price, making it $1614... both offers have since finished...

Last night I received an email from AUO regarding a request I sent a fortnight ago in relation to the AUO panel used in the Pyrod.

The panel used is the T370HW01, of which there are 3 versions, V.0, V.1 and V.2.

Detailed technical information on the V.0 version can be accessed at http://www.displaze.com/PDF/LCD/AUO/T370HW01V0.pdf

The V.0 version is specified with a contrast ratio of 800:1 (typical) and a surface luminance (white) of 550 cd/m2.

The information I received from AUO last night is the same technical information, but for the V.2 version of the panel. Interestingly the contrast ratio in this version is 1200:1 (typical) and the surface luminance (white) is also 550 cd/m2.

I could not find any info on the V.1 version, but on the record of revision in the V.2 document, there is a record of revision, as follows,

Version Date.. Description

0.0...... Jul 05. Frist draft

0.1...... Jan 06 Add P.23 packing info.

According to Powerstrip, the unit I purchased (and subsequently returned) was manufactured in week 39 of 2005, so it must have had a V.0 panel.

If this is the case it is a mystery to me why AUO specify the contrast ratio of the panel as 800:1, but in the Pyrod user manual the contrast ratio of the unit is downgraded to 600:1. It is possible that;

1) The only difference between the display model I saw that had a 800:1 contrast ratio in the manual and the other 600:1 contrast ratio units is the number in the manual, or;

2) The display unit I saw used the newer 1200:1 contrast ratio panel and for some reason this was downgraded to 800:1 in the manual.

I'm hoping that 1 above is correct and in the not too distant future we will see these units with the 1200:1 contrast ratio panel. Then it may be worth a trip back to Kmart (during one of their 15% off storewide sales of course).

dinos22

I can see you taking it back.

You have some legitimate points, others are wrong conclusions.

Don't want to even attempt to about them here - use Media Centre Site, PC tuner cards and other DVB-t forums about that.

The fault on some points lies NOT in this display but your understanding of DTV sources, DVI and driver related to GPU.

Suggest conferring with the relevant forums for further insights.

DA

seems your response to new members is pretty much the same.....why not just stick that in the signature and be done with it

on that note:

just returned theunit and the replacements on first inspection still had that line down themiddle in slightly lower position and this one seems........i donno....what do you guys think.......the best way to see it is if youchange the background to white and get really close to the screen and look at it from top of the screen across......you will see what i mean if you have the same issue////

didn't check for dead pixels but it seems ok.....

Hello

Can anybody tell me the size of the packaging that this screen comes in?

Has anyone transported it in the backseat of a VT Commodore?

TIA and cheers

D V

I transported one in the back seat of a Corolla. It was a tight fit.

Approximate box dimensions were 1100mm wide by 750mm high. Depth was not an issue.

the unit was packaged with the speakers detatched and were packed in the box behind the screen.

Hello

TIA and cheers

D V

Hi,

I transported one on the back seat of a camry with ease.

What's the best connection to use when using a Toppy. Would RGB be better than component. It is in theory but is it in reality. The Toppy comes supplied with a SCART to component but I am now trying to decide whether I should go in for SCART to RGB.

Also for those using a computer to view DVDs are you guys using any particular software to send progressive scan to the TV?

Cheers.

Mario

Cheers.

Mario

so is anyone getting the lines...............is that a fault or what.......heh :blink:

Hello

TIA and cheers

D V

plenty of room in one of those....i trasported two in VW Golf and Vectra

so is anyone getting the lines...............is that a fault or what.......heh :D

Im pretty sure I havent noticed any lines on mine, I havent actually displayeda full white background yet though. I'll try it when I get home for you.

Also anyone know any good sites or sources for 1920X1080 wallpapers? I've searched google but nothing much that takes my attention :blink:

why did you purchase an upscaling dvd player ? are you aware that everything you feed it will be upscaled anyway by the tvs internal scaler ? So if you play dvd it will upscale to 1080i anyway without the need for an upscaling player

An upscaling player usally has DVI as well as component output. DVI to HDMI appears to provide the cleanest signal. Not sure that the TV upscales any source automatically anyway. I believe it attempts to display whatever source resolution is provided. I haven't found any function in the menus to control this. The I/P res shown in the display menu seems to be the only indicator of provided resolution.

it has a couple of lines going horizontally across the screen....i've used a lot of LCDs and never had that before so not sure if that's standard or not.... :blink: :confused: ....you guys seeing anything similar?

The set I returned got the same problem. It seems that the problem only happens to the batch with fat remote control.

the colour settings on the panel are a bit annoying but i got it OK now i think............if you guys still need more out of it powerstrip has a great interface and will cover that no probs :D

Would you mind to share the colour settings you currently use? That would save me a lot of time :P

The set I returned got the same problem. It seems that the problem only happens to the batch with fat remote control.

Would you mind to share the colour settings you currently use? That would save me a lot of time :blink:

Hey I got the fat remote too, as I said above, I havent noticed any lines yet (touch wood)

Also which is the newer revision? the fat remote or the skinny one? Which remote do you now have Scotia?

Also which is the newer revision? the fat remote or the skinny one? Which remote do you now have Scotia?

The unit I had, had a skinny remote, was manufactured in October last year (according to powerstrip) and there were no horizontal lines (or any other problem other than a few defective pixles) on a white background.

Hey I got the fat remote too, as I said above, I havent noticed any lines yet (touch wood)

The returned one comes with a fat remote. The replacement I have now got a skinny control with bottom right button labelled YPrPb and suffers from a brighter spot(a round area contains several pixels) on uniform background :blink: I don't know which one is newer. According to SumDumGuy's report in this thread, there are at least three batches in the market:

Panel 1: Thin remote with bottom right button labelled HDTV (actually is YPrPb).

Backlight brightness control does nothing.

Panel 2: Fat remote which seems more responsive.

Backlight brightness control works.

Panel 3: Thin remote with bottom right button labelled YPrPb.

Backlight brightness control does nothing.

The unit I had, had a skinny remote, was manufactured in October last year (according to powerstrip) and there were no horizontal lines (or any other problem) on a white background.

Hi,

I have the one with a skinny remote numbered --2002.

With a white screen I see that I have a sort of half inch horizontal line in the top part of my screen, and dead pixel.

With a black screen I notice there is light seeping in from a few areas in the bottom of my screen. I also see a bright pixel in the middle of my screen.

I don't see any issue when I watch tv in general.

I am contemplating taking it back and swapping it for a new one. I wonder if I can get the sales person to open it and connect it to a computer to check these issues, although that may be a bit too complicated for the Kmart person.

Cheers.

Mario

I am contemplating taking it back and swapping it for a new one. I wonder if I can get the sales person to open it and connect it to a computer to check these issues, although that may be a bit too complicated for the Kmart person.

I am thinking of swapping for a new one too but a bit worry of getting a worse one :blink:

I have the one with a skinny remote numbered --2002.

Sounds like the one I had.

With a black screen I notice there is light seeping in from a few areas in the bottom of my screen. I also see a bright pixel in the middle of my screen.

Mine was similar in relation to backlight leakage. Not noticable for general TV viewing, but was noticable in one corner when a 4:3 aspect ratio picture was displayed (with black bars either side) on the 16:9 aspect ratio screen. According to their defective pixel policy, one bright pixel is covered by warranty.

I don't see any issue when I watch tv in general.

I am contemplating taking it back and swapping it for a new one. I wonder if I can get the sales person to open it and connect it to a computer to check these issues.

Yuo won't be able to connect it to a computer at Kmart as they are a discount department store that don't offer that level of service. If you are happy with it in general, get a replacement unit.

Yuo won't be able to connect it to a computer at Kmart as they are a discount department store that don't offer that level of service. If you are happy with it in general, get a replacement unit.

I wonder if we would be able to take our own laptop computers and vga connection in.

Cheers.

Mario

Here's some information from CES USA -

Click:

http://media.digitaltrends.com/

Choose Benq LCD line up

Note: Consumer grade TV use and higher quality Videophile use.

Conclusion:

Some here on this forum thread are KIDDING themselves if this Pyrod consumer grade HDTV will satisfy them. They'll need to return and ensure they purchase the second TIER optimised LCD line up like the Benq's to ensure there strict quality requirements are realised - spending a FEW thousand dollars more is in the ball park.

DA

Some here on this forum thread are KIDDING themselves if this Pyrod consumer grade HDTV will satisfy them.

I have to agree. I tried the Pyrod and I'm afraid that when it came to black level and contrast ratio it simply did not cut the mustard. I returned it for a refund and now there is a big empty space in my lounge room where the Pyrod was. I'm not dissapointed however because I know that with advancements in LCD technology there will soon be a LCD unit that will satisfy my requirements for a reasonable price. It will obviously cost more than the Pyrod, but it will be worth it, both in terms of quality and a short wait.

All is good now. 2 wks ago I had probs getting 1080p to work but now with the free time I have I managed it both with an ATI and an nVidia card @ 60Hz. Not the magical 72Hz but 1080p none theless.

All is good now. 2 wks ago I had probs getting 1080p to work but now with the free time I have I managed it both with an ATI and an nVidia card @ 60Hz. Not the magical 72Hz but 1080p none theless.

why is 72Hz magical......it's not a CRT screen lol