Sign in to follow this  
dkmaj

37" PYROD LCD (1920x1080) @ KMART

The 2 options for de-interlacing are MADI and Motion, with the Motion having 3 levels: Low, Medium and High.

Upscaling DVD players are a no show to upscale as it just scales it back down. I have a modded Xbox and thru XBMC I can normally output up to 1080i on the NTSC setting however on this screen whether I play a PAL or NTSC DVD it still scales back to 1920x540. This is thru YPbPr.

It looks like HTPCs are the only way to get the best out of this screen.

Hi,

As far as I know about de-interlacers, a motion-adaptive one will do a Bob interpolation for any movements and a weave of the fields for any still parts. Games would normally have very few still parts and thus you would effectively get a 540 resolution for most of it even if you have a motion-adaptive de-interlacer.

I don't know much about these things but I would assume that if you output 720p from you xbox the picture on your screen will be clearer. Or maybe not.

Cheers.

Mario

Will my 6800GT be able to power this LCD at 1080p?

ifrit375 not sure about vesa standard, the manual's vga compatability list is fairly good, especially compared to some of the screens I and my misus have checked out lately.

Only times I have seen this screen before, it looked crappy (to say the least), however had a minute or two checking one out tonight at Kmart quickly and it looked fairly good running a animated (always looks better) dvd via the composite inputs - even my misus thought it looked worthy of a purchase considering size to cost ratio. I was just pleasantly supprised at the image quality for a standard dvd source.

A couple of the guy's on here have these screens running at 1920x1080 via dvi input, I think Campster123 may have been one - it's in another thread on this lcd on this forum. From memory they are very pleased with the Pyrod for the money.

I believe somebody mentioned earlier that the DVI on this set isn't HDCP compliant, but at the price this isn't a huge issue for us and although it would be 'nice' to have it, it isn't going to be a deal breaker for us if this set is the way we go - we just cancelled our lay-by Magnavox 32" for $1200 odd.

Our problem, and before all the HD o'philes remind me of how crappy SD dtv is, that we only have a standard def stb at the moment, and this is what we will be using until HD twin tuner pvr's become more common as we only purchased it recently. I am worried how standard def digital tv will look on something like the Pyrod (or any lcd for that matter), as their have been few decent demo's in stores of lcd's running at this level. Now if Topfield would hurry up and release a nice 'glitch' free twin tuner hd pvr then this might not an issue either. :blink:

EDIT...

Can anyone who owns one of these beasties confirm if the 16:9 & 4:3 works on vga input? And any general input on how it behaves with vga & dvi inputs with regards to displaying the image centrally on the screen? (ie does it bump the image left or right etc, or does it display it centrally with borders down the sides? Thank you.

ifrit375 not sure about vesa standard, the manual's vga compatability list is fairly good, especially compared to some of the screens I and my misus have checked out lately.

I was refering to the mount standard, thinking of mounting this on the wall and need to found out if its VESA standard.

I dropped into Kmart on the way home from work late this afternoon to check out the unit.

Firstly, there is one thing I can clear up from the instruction manual that came with the Kmart display unit. The contrast ratio is specified as 800:1.

The unit itself was displaying SD output from Channel 10.

Upon first glance the picture quality was poorer than the Sanyo LCD's either side. Closer inspection suggested that the de-interlacing on this unit was inferior to the surrounding Sanyo's. The picture was softer and the circle around the channel 10 logo (when breifly bright white after a segment of adds) was less well defined than on the Sanyo's.

Furthermore when there was a narrow horizontal bright band across the image (for example in an add), the unit had trouble resolving the boundary between the edge of the bright band and the surrounding background on some parts of the display (best description I can give as a novice). This effect was not evident on the Sanyo's.

The color was different to the Sanyo's, but this was only a product of the settings (skin tone on the Sanyo's was poor).

The Kmart assistant in the section advised me me that the unit was simply plugged in and turned on with no adjustment to the settings. I requested the manual and the remote and I had a play with the deinterlacing settings, but I could not get any discernable improvement.

In summary if I was asked to provide a one word description of the SD picture quality of the Kmart display unit, I would say that it is poor, both in terms of the picture itself and in comparison to the surrounding Sanyo LCD's.

I'm no expert however and if there is an owner of the unit who has been able to modify the settings to get a better SD picture, I would be interested in trying those settings out on one of the Kmart display units.

When I purchase a TV (LCD or plasma) it is my intention to connect it to a PC with a digital TV tuner, so I am actually more interested in the TV picture quality via DVI with this set than through a STB as was the case with the Kmart display unit.

I'm not quiet ready to give up on this unit yet because the next brand putting 1920x1080 LCD's on to the market is TEAC. I have allready had an experience owning a TEAC TV.

Owen, can those DVD player upconvert to 720p?

I don’t know, probably.

But what sort of scaling quality to you expect from a cheap upscaling DVD player.

Any upscaling DVD player that would provide a worthwhile improvement costs more then the Pyrod LCD.

Stand alone scaler deinterlacers that can do motion adaptive deinterlacing of 1080i, costs $5000.

The only economical option is a suitable PC.

If you can get the Pyro to accept 1080p from a PC, you should be able to get a very nice picture, given the limitations of the display.

OK...i picked up this display just now and its currently sitting in front of me. Brilliant picture i must say. The thing is, I dont know how to get it to work at 1080p. I've download powerstrip and I'm using 6800GT to drive the screen. Can someone guide me on setting things up. THanks.

OK...i picked up this display just now and its currently sitting in front of me. Brilliant picture i must say. The thing is, I dont know how to get it to work at 1080p. I've download powerstrip and I'm using 6800GT to drive the screen. Can someone guide me on setting things up. THanks.

Try this thread for the correct settings. You don't actually need powerstrip- the advanced timings in the NVIDIA driver will do everything you need it to to get 1080p running on this screen.

I've got it to display 1920X1080p. This is marvelous. Refresh rate maxed out at 68.1MHz. One thing though, its freaking bright. Still need to play with the screen's setting. One thing for sure....it sure lives up to the 1080p as others have claimed. So damn happy with my purchase...woohoo. Upgraded from 17" lcd.

Yep yep...I'll get to it tonite. Camera's battery was flat last night and I'm at work at the moment. Pics will be up very soon. One thing though...my screen has a band about 2mm thick on the left travelling to the right for about 10cm. Only noticed it when the background is white. Probably some defect. I'm gonna go back to Kmart and exchange for another tomorrow. The band is not dead pixel. Its just a got a slight purplish colour. Wonder what isit.

I've got it to display 1920X1080p. This is marvelous. Refresh rate maxed out at 68.1MHz. One thing though, its freaking bright. Still need to play with the screen's setting. One thing for sure....it sure lives up to the 1080p as others have claimed. So damn happy with my purchase...woohoo. Upgraded from 17" lcd.

How is it for general desktop computer use? Are the icons, text etc all crisp and clear? I am looking at purchasing one to use as a computer monitor and was wondering how it fared in comparison to your 17inch LCD monitor?

Cheers :blink:

The contrast ratio is specified as 800:1

I bought one yesterday, and page 7 of the manual has a nice table showing the 37" model at 600:1. (Don't make me have to scan it in).

Other items of interest:

1. It had 4 dead pixels out of the box. Prior to purchase I would have thought that this would mean that I would instantly return it. However, the pixels on this panel are so small that the defects are not visible unless: (a) you've got a static uniform colour backround, (B) you know where they are or you search very hard looking, and © you are within 0.5m of the screen. So I'm keeping this panel. I consider the smaller (possible) defect size to be an advantage of this high-res panel over 1366x768 panels.

2. Digital SDTV from my Topfield looks very good when connected via YCbYr.

3. There seems to be some issues with the YPbPr input. When trying to use this (with the Topfield and then my DVD player) there was lotsa "colour shimmering" and occasional picture drop-outs. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. I dropped back to S-Video for the DVD player for now, because this is only a temporary solution anyway.

4. I got DVI input at native 1920x1080 working, and it looks really really good. I pity you poor guys who think component inputs give the best picture. Once I get my act together, all sources will be driven by the PC via DVI at native resolution.

5. I haven't yet bothered to connect an antenna and tune the analog tuner, and I probably won't ever, so I can't comment on the quality.

6. 16:9 / 4:3 switching does not work when sourcing from the VGA and DVI inputs.

7. I couldn't get the different deinterlace settings to make any difference that was visible to me. Not that I will be using the internal deinterlacer anyway, so I don't care.

Anyone got it running at 1920x1080x50Hz ?

One thing though, its freaking bright. Still need to play with the screen's setting.

Try lowering the contrast. Most LCDs have the contrast wayyy too high by default. It gives them a 'wow' factor but it's nowhere near optimal. My Benq PC display defaults to 50% contrast and I lower it to about 20%. It's probably only about 1/3 as bright but it looks far more natural (once the other settings are adjusted too)

I bought one yesterday, and page 7 of the manual has a nice table showing the 37" model at 600:1. (Don't make me have to scan it in).

Other items of interest:

1. It had 4 dead pixels out of the box. Prior to purchase I would have thought that this would mean that I would instantly return it. However, the pixels on this panel are so small that the defects are not visible unless: (a) you've got a static uniform colour backround, (:blink: you know where they are or you search very hard looking, and © you are within 0.5m of the screen. So I'm keeping this panel. I consider the smaller (possible) defect size to be an advantage of this high-res panel over 1366x768 panels.

3. There seems to be some issues with the YPbPr input. When trying to use this (with the Topfield and then my DVD player) there was lotsa "colour shimmering" and occasional picture drop-outs. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. I dropped back to S-Video for the DVD player for now, because this is only a temporary solution anyway.

4. I got DVI input at native 1920x1080 working, and it looks really really good. I pity you poor guys who think component inputs give the best picture. Once I get my act together, all sources will be driven by the PC via DVI at native resolution.

5. I haven't yet bothered to connect an antenna and tune the analog tuner, and I probably won't ever, so I can't comment on the quality.

6. 16:9 / 4:3 switching does not work when sourcing from the VGA and DVI inputs.

7. I couldn't get the different deinterlace settings to make any difference that was visible to me. Not that I will be using the internal deinterlacer anyway, so I don't care.

Dude how are you finding it for desktop computer use?

Other items of interest:

1. It had 4 dead pixels out of the box. Prior to purchase I would have thought that this would mean that I would instantly return it. However, the pixels on this panel are so small that the defects are not visible unless: (a) you've got a static uniform colour backround, (:blink: you know where they are or you search very hard looking, and © you are within 0.5m of the screen. So I'm keeping this panel. I consider the smaller (possible) defect size to be an advantage of this high-res panel over 1366x768 panels.

Hi SumDumGuy,

I am glad you are enjoying your new tv.

Have you tested it to see what sort of de-interlacer it has (Bob or adaptive).

Re. your remark no. 7, I am also curious to know how you plan to do do the de-interlacing of the interlaced video sent out by your Toppy without using your tv's internal de-interlacer. Do you have an external de-interlacer between your Toppy and your TV?

Cheers.

Mario

Re. your remark no. 7, I am also curious to know how you plan to do do the de-interlacing of the interlaced video sent out by your Toppy without using your tv's internal de-interlacer. Do you have an external de-interlacer between your Toppy and your TV?

Note his point 4 - he's going to replace the Topfield with a PC as PVR, and run via DVI @ 1920x1080.

Its primary purpose is as an entertainment display in the lounge room, but I did have it on my desk for a few hours during initial evaluation. My comments:

1. It is huge as a desktop monitor. I normally use a Dell 2405, and the Pyrod makes that look small. I couldn't put it far enough back on my desk to make the distance comfortable. You would probably have to sit 1-1.5m back from this thing to avoid whiplash, so make sure you can comfortably read text at that distance. Gaming would be awesome, but I don't have much time for that these days.

2. Input via DVI at native was perfect, and the desktop was completely sharp.

3. It is very bright. I didn't spend time adjusting it because the desktop was not its final destination.

For PC use its fantastic if you're sitting at least 1 metre away. This screen is huge. Icons and text are sharp and easy to read. However, if I lower the brightness to less than 50%, I can't really see anything on movie playback but fine for desktop use. I might just have to keep adjusting brightness according to my use. Turn it up for movie and down for general pc usage. Definitely recommend it.

Thanks for the info Pathetic and SumDumGuy, really appreciate it. I wanted this monitor mainly for desktop use and some movie watching so your positive comments are a good sign that it'll be as clear and crisp as my 17inch lcd from the sounds of it. I'm short sighted so I think a bigger monitor would be great for me even at closer distances. :blink: Gonna go pick up one myself on the weekend. Cheers for the feedback :D

Did I read some where that its DVI connection is not HDCP ?

yes - possibly earlier in this thread or in one of the others floating around the board. I checked with the distributor and it's not :blink:

Did I read some where that its DVI connection is not HDCP ?

Doesn't matter as AUSID only has component.

hehehe.