37" PYROD LCD (1920x1080) @ KMART

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased one of these from Kmart in the middle of last year. Apart from a few dead pixels I found it very good as a very large high definition PC monitor. Via the DVI input there was 1:1 pixel mapping at native resolution and no sharpening effects around text on tinted backgrounds.

It's performance as a TV however was poor with a poor and uneven backlight black level the most obvious drawbacks. The picture via it's analogue tuner was shocking. With a PC doing the image processing and feeding a 1080p signal to the TV, the picture was somewhat better.

Overall I was dissatisfied with the unit's performance as a TV and shortly after purchase I returned it to Kmart for a full refund.

Thanks "Nico6". I read the 25 pages and it had much the same information as here.

Ended up removing the Nvidia driver and installing a Nvidia Forceware thing which I think had the same drivers but a slightly different timing screen which accepted the settings supplied by "Inm8" and it runs 1920x1080p with crisp text. I think it works because the reinstall flushed out inappropriate custom settings. Anyway works reliably now without panning and reboots OK as well.

Just to let you guys know..

Electronics Australia has ceased trading..

Warranty thourgh them is going to be a problem

The freecall number had been disconnected

the itnernet site is gone

the local phone number has a message to state that they have ceased to exist and warranty concerns should be placed in writing...

Quote - "Now I get a little bit worry about the warranty status of my Pyrod"

KMart is providing a warranty (3yrs indicated in manual) through "United Electrical" 1800 786 231. I rang them before purchasing a $1050 37" Pyrod and the girl in sales confirmed they were the people carrying out the warranty work. Maybe KMart did a deal when they purchased these units from the importer? I also returned the warranty slip to Electronics Australia because it threatens you with no service if the slip is not returned. I attached a note asking if they were dead or alive and to let me know by email, but there was no response, which is usually the case with most Australian firms even when they are not deceased.

This would suggest to me that "United Electrical" have been paid to service the warranty contract for these units. If this is the case then the trading status of "Electronics Austraila" should not impact on warranty provision.

With regard to the warranty slip, these may just have been forwarded on from "Electronics Australia" to "United Electrical". If not, then the purchase receipt from Kmart should be sufficient to initiate a warranty claim if push comes to shove.

Just to let you guys know..

Electronics Australia has ceased trading..

Warranty thourgh them is going to be a problem

The freecall number had been disconnected

the itnernet site is gone

the local phone number has a message to state that they have ceased to exist and warranty concerns should be placed in writing...

Is "Electronics Australia" listed in the documentation that came with the unit as the contact for warranty claim ?

If this is the case and they cannot be reached, the next port of call is Kmart.

Is "Electronics Australia" listed in the documentation that came with the unit as the contact for warranty claim ?

If this is the case and they cannot be reached, the next port of call is Kmart.

Electronics Australia is listed in the documentation and all the parper work to be the port of call for warrnaty work.. No where does it state that united electrical are involved..

The internet site is gone..

the Freecall number is disconnected

This is the local number 613-9765-9355 (off a scan of the spec sheet)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7153/pyrod378lv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest diseaselogic
Currently on clearance at Kmart for $1049....

There is very little stock around though....

Just bought a second one....

kky, which Kmart did you get it from for $1049?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had the 94cm Pyrod for almost 18 months and have recently connected to a Playstation 3.

I have been unable to use the DVI port through HDMI from my PS3.

Has anyone had success with this? Have tried various DVI to HDMI cable with no success.

I was able to utilise component video source from my PS3 and am very impressed with the quality.

1920 x 1080 resolution reproduces well.

It is comparable with 1080P displays I have seen using the same source - only difference is a slight outline interlacing flicker on small objects (as it is using interlaced and no progressive scanning.

PS3 games Virtua Tennis, Motorstorm and FIFA 08 are particularly impressive.

A great result considering it is around a third the cost of a 1080P TV of a similar size

I have had the 94cm Pyrod for almost 18 months and have recently connected to a Playstation 3.

I have been unable to use the DVI port through HDMI from my PS3.

Has anyone had success with this? Have tried various DVI to HDMI cable with no success.

I was able to utilise component video source from my PS3 and am very impressed with the quality.

1920 x 1080 resolution reproduces well.

It is comparable with 1080P displays I have seen using the same source - only difference is a slight outline interlacing flicker on small objects (as it is using interlaced and no progressive scanning.

PS3 games Virtua Tennis, Motorstorm and FIFA 08 are particularly impressive.

A great result considering it is around a third the cost of a 1080P TV of a similar size

The DVI input on your TV probably isn't HDCP enabled. Your PS3 outputs an encrypted signal over the HDMI (digital) interface and if the DVI input on your TV isn't enabled to receive (and decode) such a signal, the PS3 simply won't output a signal over HDMI. Both devices need to "shake hands" digitally. Check your TV manual for HDCP compliance.

Your component (analog) connection will give you almost as good an image, so stick with that.

• 2 months later...
I just got one of these... great screen except it has a REALLY annoying buzzing noise like a cicada which varies in loudness. It is intermitent but there more often than not.

Is this fixable? Or it is stuffed?

Where did you get it from ?

If it was from a store then the obvious choice is a replacement or refund. I can't comment on second hand or eBay as I don't know enough about it.

Where did you get it from ?

If it was from a store then the obvious choice is a replacement or refund. I can't comment on second hand or eBay as I don't know enough about it.

Yeah eBay... my own fault I guess, seller said there was no problem when he had it, probably happened during courier transit. Or he's lying.

I only use the screen for movies though so it's not *too* bad, and sometimes it can even go for long periods without any noise, but if it was general 24/7 PC use it would drive me up the wall.

Guest instigator
Yeah eBay... my own fault I guess, seller said there was no problem when he had it, probably happened during courier transit. Or he's lying.

I only use the screen for movies though so it's not *too* bad, and sometimes it can even go for long periods without any noise, but if it was general 24/7 PC use it would drive me up the wall.

Hey mate,

I bought this screen about 18 months ago. I also noticed the noise but I have not heard it for probably a year now. I wouldnt be too worried. I also spoke to some people from Overclockers.com.au and a few of them experienced it too.

Quick question how much did you pay for it?

Hey mate,

I bought this screen about 18 months ago. I also noticed the noise but I have not heard it for probably a year now. I wouldnt be too worried. I also spoke to some people from Overclockers.com.au and a few of them experienced it too.

Quick question how much did you pay for it?

Hm ok. I paid $800 for it including freight.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...