37" PYROD LCD (1920x1080) @ KMART

Was talking to a Kmart bloke today & he reckons these LCD's will be available as regular instore stock in the next 2 or 3 weeks at about the same price.

I don't know if he's right but it might pay to hold off on these for the moment.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest goodnite
I still have trouble with this TV's sound when using DVI. Hope anybody can help me? The DVI is not able to transfer audio so I connect audio cables (L and R) from STB to TV's Video 1 ports (the group has VIDEO, R, L and S-VIDEO). When I switch signal to DVI on this TV, it doesn't pick audio from Video 1 so there is no sound. Are there any way to force the TV working with DVI and bring the audio from Video ports?

Next to the DVI port on the Pyrod unit, there is a 3.5mm green audio input jack. Grab a L&R RCA to 3.5mm audio jack cable and you should be set. I've connected my PC to the Pyrod via DVI and the audio out (3.5mm) to this green 3.5mm input jack and the sound works fine when I was playing video clips from the PC.

Am thinking of building a media PC to connect to the Pyrod via DVI. Picture quality of any video playback, be it Xvid/DVD or whatever looks so much better coming from a PC than from a DVD/media player connecting via component/s-video.

Goodnite

Next to the DVI port on the Pyrod unit, there is a 3.5mm green audio input jack. Grab a L&R RCA to 3.5mm audio jack cable and you should be set. I've connected my PC to the Pyrod via DVI and the audio out (3.5mm) to this green 3.5mm input jack and the sound works fine when I was playing video clips from the PC.

Am thinking of building a media PC to connect to the Pyrod via DVI. Picture quality of any video playback, be it Xvid/DVD or whatever looks so much better coming from a PC than from a DVD/media player connecting via component/s-video.

Goodnite

Thank you Goodnite and jok11n so much. You are right. There is a 3.5mm audio jack there. The manual doesn't mention it. I need to knee down and lower head to find it. Now I'm watching HD program with DVI signals. I woundn't go back to watch TV with D-Sub or component anymore. DVI signal is perfect.

BTW, this TV seems to don't have TELETEXT supported. It has Close Cation. But I haven't see any channel display it. It's not a big issue to me. My STB can do TELETEXT.

but how does this tv perform when fed standard resolution signals from devices such as set top boxes and dvd players? I dont want it to look blocky and unclear/unsharp.

From what I have seen on Kmart display units which have been fed the above types of signal the picture quality was not as good as the other LCD models on display. If you have a Kmart store nearby this is something you can check for yourself.

Guest goodnite
It seems most people are using a htpc to feed custom resolutions to the display, but how does this tv perform when fed standard resolution signals from devices such as set top boxes and dvd players? I dont want it to look blocky and unclear/unsharp.

IMHO, I think if you want to only connect set top boxes or dvd players to it via component/S-video, I think there are better panels out there. The lower resolution Samsung PQ seems to be better. DVI into the Pyrod from a PC gives it a very good picture. I don't have a set top box with DVI output, so I can't comment on that. My SD Set top box and DVD player connects via s-video and component. The PQ on those are decent and good depending on the source material, but I still find playing media files through the PC via DVI to the panel gives the best quality, that's why I'm considering building a HTPC. :blink:

Goodnite

Guest goodnite
anyone know if this is going to stay on sale past june 13?

Might want to give Kmart a call on that. There is a 15% storewide sale coming up next Thu 15th I think, but the sale of the Pyrod ends 14th. According to the current catalogue, it says non-sale price is $2299. So 15% off that is still $1954.15, so not as good as the current price.. unless they still have it at $1899 after the 14th :blink:, then you'll be able to get it at around $1614 or so (which is an awesome price :D). So give your local Kmart a call tomorrow to find out.

Goodnite

Might want to give Kmart a call on that. There is a 15% storewide sale coming up next Thu 15th I think, but the sale of the Pyrod ends 14th. According to the current catalogue, it says non-sale price is $2299. So 15% off that is still $1954.15, so not as good as the current price.. unless they still have it at $1899 after the 14th :blink:, then you'll be able to get it at around $1614 or so (which is an awesome price :D). So give your local Kmart a call tomorrow to find out.

Goodnite

I purchased one today. Kmart do haggle. I flashed the cash and got it for $1800.

It does have a few stuck pixles however (not sure how many, I have not done a complete check) and getting it to display 1920x1080 using powerstrip (X800GTO graphics card) is proving problematic (first time I have ever used powerstrip so it may be a case of me not being far enough up the learning curve).

I purchased one today. Kmart do haggle. I flashed the cash and got it for $1800.

It does have a few stuck pixles however (not sure how many, I have not done a complete check) and getting it to display 1920x1080 using powerstrip (X800GTO graphics card) is proving problematic (first time I have ever used powerstrip so it may be a case of me not being far enough up the learning curve).

Wow only $1800? May I know which Kmart you deal with?

This is getting extremely frustrating. No joy getting 1920x1080 out of this thing.

The maximum resolution I can get using powerstrip or the ATI software is 1280x1024. When I set the resolution above this using the ATI Catalyst software or Powerstrip (under display profiles) the Pyrod will not display the full windows desktop on the screen.

Under Advanced timing options in Powerstrip I cannot modify the active area under either horizontal geometry or Vertical geometry, although I can modify all other parameters.

I can modify all parameters under "custom resolutions" but I get no joy when using a custom resolution either.

Any help would be appreciated (X800GTO graphics card).

Under "monitor information" in powerstrip i get,

EDID revision : 1.3

Date of manufacture: 2005, ISO week 39

Also, the contrast ration in the manual is 600:1, and I purchased it from the same Kmart that had the contrast ratio of 800:1 listed in the manual of the display model. I have a horrible feeling that I have one of the older Strathfield units that has done a couple of laps across the country.

Also, the contrast ration in the manual is 600:1, and I purchased it from the same Kmart that had the contrast ratio of 800:1 listed in the manual of the display model. I have a horrible feeling that I have one of the older Strathfield units that has done a couple of laps across the country.

Even if it is these were capable of 1920x1080 using powerstrip, must be something still that is not right.

600:1 or 800:1, it does not matter, as you cannot trust any quotes spec.

Either way contrast ratio is very ordinary.

Even if it is these were capable of 1920x1080 using powerstrip, must be something still that is not right.

I'm hoping that I am dunce of the powerstrip class and there is something simple that I have overlooked. In any case I have found a bright pixel so it's a warranty job, or I might just take it back to Kmart and get my money back (after a little more playing of course).

For the record it has 4 dark pixels and one bright pixel.

I'm hoping that I am dunce of the powerstrip class and there is something simple that I have overlooked. In any case I have found a bright pixel so it's a warranty job, or I might just take it back to Kmart and get my money back (after a little more playing of course).

For the record it has 4 dark pixels and one bright pixel.

Hi drsmith,

How do you go about checking for 'not-very good' pixels?

I am contemplating taking the plunge and buy one of these.

Cheers.

Mario

I just picked purchased one but now reading back through all of these posts I'm wondering whether I got the newer revision or the older one. drsmith and pathetic, can you guys describe your two remotes (as they seem to be the only easily identifiable difference between the two)?

When I take it home this afternoon I'll describe mine. I just hope my one can handle 1080p.

Hi drsmith,

How do you go about checking for 'not-very good' pixels?

I am contemplating taking the plunge and buy one of these.

Cheers.

Mario

I just looked at it against a white background. Two are next to each other and as a consequence stand out clearly on a white background from a viewing distance of 1m. The bright pixel could been from a distance of over 2m on a darkened screen (backlight only) in a dark room. The failed pixels were not noticable when using it to watch digital TV from about a viewing distance of 1m to 2m.

In relation to resolution I changed Powerstrip version from beta version (silly me) to the latest complete version and it went instantly to 1824x1026 resolution. I can't get any higher though, same problem as last night. It could be me though as I'm a first timer user of powerstrip. I'm running a 24" lcd at native 1920x1200 resolution as well so maby the graphics card can't hack it. Still trying.

EDIT:

I've managed to get the ATI software to send 1920x1080 to the Pyrod by adding 1080p as a custom HDTV format, but I get "signal out of range" on the display. Interestingly one resolution (1360x1024) only occupies part of the screen at native resolution. Text is crystal clear at native resolution.

I'm running a 24" lcd at native 1920x1200 resolution as well so maby the graphics card can't hack it. Still trying.

Have you tried it with the 24" lcd disconnected? Or with the Pyrod set as primary monitor? Maybe it will make a difference?

Wow only $1800? May I know which Kmart you deal with?

Hi guys,

Just remember that the present discounted value of $1900 paid 1 year from now is around $1725, assuming around 10% interest rate.

Your getting it 12 months interest free.

Thus you could bargain upto say $1725 if you pay cash now.

Someone else allready mentioned this here but I wanted to add it again to remind people about their bargaining power when paying cash now.

Cheers.

Mario

I just looked at it against a white background. Two are next to each other and as a consequence stand out clearly on a white background from a viewing distance of 1m. The bright pixel could been from a distance of over 2m on a darkened screen (backlight only) in a dark room. The failed pixels were not noticable when using it to watch digital TV from about a viewing distance of 1m to 2m.

In relation to resolution I changed Powerstrip version from beta version (silly me) to the latest complete version and it went instantly to 1824x1026 resolution. I can't get any higher though, same problem as last night. It could be me though as I'm a first timer user of powerstrip. I'm running a 24" lcd at native 1920x1200 resolution as well so maby the graphics card can't hack it. Still trying.

Thanks Drsmith.

I've managed to get the ATI software to send 1920x1080 to the Pyrod by adding 1080p as a custom HDTV format, but I get "signal out of range" on the display.

SUCCESS

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I rebooted with the Pyrod set to 1920x1080 and the Windows desktop displayed at 1920x1080 for a short period before giving "signal out of range"

I then uninstalled powerstrip and BINGO 1920x1080 at 60hz, nice and stable. It seems that the unit will display 1920x1080 at 60hz from the ATI software alone.

SUCCESS

.... BINGO 1920x1080 at 60hz, nice and stable. It seems that the unit will display 1920x1080 at 60hz from the ATI software alone.

Congratulations!

It is odd however that a while ago Campster123 was able to get 1080p72 without a hitch, but recently people have found it a bit harder.

Adrian

congratulations drsmith. Actually if u've got dead pixels, I'd recommend u bring it back and swap it for another. Thats what I did. Mine's perfect now. By the way, my remote is the fatter one. The previous one slim and i like that one better. But I only use it to turn on the lcd so doesn't really bother me.

In case anyone wanna know...I've solved my tv viewing and desktop brightness by turning it up on the lcd for tv viewing and turned down the brightness on Nview. This way I get the best of both worlds and picture is sharp and clear as ever.

mine also works perfectly. quick trip into nvidia advanced timing and sweet 1080p goodness is provided.

the black levels leave a bit to be desired (my Dell 2001FP beats it in this regard) but the pure size and clarity when pluged into a pc is just awesome for the price.

the analogue tuner is horrid. don't even think about buying this if you're not planning on connecting it to a pc.