37" PYROD LCD (1920x1080) @ KMART

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone got one yet :blink:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but there's a thread on here about this panel - they've been selling it at Strathfield for a while (at least I assume it's the same 37" 1920x1080 Pyrod), so have a search if you're interested. Apparently it's fairly straightforward to get it running at 1080p from a PC.

The panel is made by AUO if memory serves me correctly.

Harris scarfe had these on special about 3 months ago ($1999) so the Kmart price is good. I happened to see these in Harris Scarfe on the weekend again and the price was approx. $2400 if I remember correctly.

The picture at Harris Scarfe was bad, but they haven't got a clue when it comes to setting these things up for even a remotely decent image.

I'd be willing to bet that any of these that you see setup look bad, that's what retailers seem to do best, hook them up to the poorest available source, use the worst possible input and then wonder why people don't like them. Unfortunately it's hard to get to look at what you're buying but the best feedback is perhaps here from people that actually have them.

Yes, same panel as Strathfield had, two year warranty now instead of three (that helped get the cost down) and the panel is by AU (same as what the Benq uses) you can grab the brochure from here ftp://ftp.jokiin.com/LCD/Pyrod37.jpg if you want more detail

Kmart's offering them with a three year warranty... :blink:

http://www.kmart.com.au/catalogue/20060608...=&PageNumber=11

Kmart's offering them with a three year warranty... :blink:

http://www.kmart.com.au/catalogue/20060608...=&PageNumber=11

Ok, good news then, they originally did the deal with only a two year warranty, they did triple their order though so I guess they might have squeezed the extra warranty back into the deal. Whatever the reason this has to be one of the best deals going at the moment for an LCD

On the bottom of the Kmart catalogue there is an offer to buy now and pay nothing for 12 months (12 months interest free) for purchases of $500 or more on a Coles Myer card.

Assuming a 10% interest charge for 12 months by a third party finance provider, the amount received by Kmart would be $1709 with the remainder of $190 going to the finance provider to give a purchase price of $1899.

This suggests some haggling room for a cash purchase.

I have never tried haggling at Kmart (never purchased anything expensive there), but it would be interesting to know what success others have had trying to bargin a reduced price for an expensive item at Kmart.

I have never tried haggling at Kmart (never purchased anything expensive there), but it would be interesting to know what success others have had trying to bargin a reduced price for an expensive item at Kmart.

Yeah, I'll send my mum in, she always manages to get deals out of Kmart :blink: (god knows how) I think floor stock they can do deals on, not sure what their policy is on other stuff

Just so people understand, there is no “1080i goodness” with cheap LCD’s, as they use bob deinterlacing with 1080i source, which limits vertical resolution to 540.

As I'm often told on DBA, there are no true 1080 sources anyway, thanks to our friend Kell. So 540 is just fine :blink:

From the earlier comments it seems this panel does 1080p? So your HTPC could deinterlace for you.

What LCDs do "better" than bob de-interlacing? How would one discover if an LCD tv performs better de-interlacing? It is not something commonly written in specifications...

As I'm often told on DBA, there are no true 1080 sources anyway, thanks to our friend Kell. So 540 is just fine :blink:

From the earlier comments it seems this panel does 1080p? So your HTPC could deinterlace for you.

I think Owen's point is that with a 1080i source (not 1080p) you're losing half your resolution because of the bob deinterlacing. Properly deinterlaced 1080i would be equivalent to (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) 1080p. But this panel, fed a 1080i source can't do that - what you're seeing if you input 1080i is only actually 540 lines of resolution.

The way around it, as you point out, would be to use an HTPC feeding in a 1920x1080 signal, and let the PC do the deinterlacing.

However, it would seem that this panel might not be much good for those wanting to use it with 1080i sources like a HD STB. Although, note that Campster on the other thread was pretty happy with XBox 360, although I can't remember off hand if that was with 720p or 1080i.

Considering the quality of digital TV here that is not a big loss.

Well, you might be right - but I'm sure there are those who will buy this panel from kmart thinking that they simply need to plug their HD STB @ 1080i into it for perfect quality. Actually, someone who did do this would probably be significantly more educated about digital tv/displays than most people buying a tv from kmart, but I hope you know what I'm getting at?

Well, you might be right - but I'm sure there are those who will buy this panel from kmart thinking that they simply need to plug their HD STB @ 1080i into it for perfect quality. Actually, someone who did do this would probably be significantly more educated about digital tv/displays than most people buying a tv from kmart, but I hope you know what I'm getting at?

can i ask a question, are people saying that you will get a worse picture on a 1920 x 1080 lcd, than a 1366 x 768 lcd, when connecting it to a HD STB?!?

can i ask a question, are people saying that you will get a worse picture on a 1920 x 1080 lcd, than a 1366 x 768 lcd, when connecting it to a HD STB?!?

Hi, I'll have a go at this, although there are others who are far more qualified to answer correctly. But, no. No one is saying that this panel will look worse than a 1366x768 panel when connected to a HD STB (did anyone even make such a comparison). All that was said was that it probably doesn't handle a 1080i input in an ideal manner. It may well look worse than a 1366x768 panel when fed exactly the same signal, but there are a lot of variables, including which 768p panel you're talking about, what deinterlacing method it uses, the quality of its scaler (scaling 1080i to 768p), the distance you stand from the screen, and so on. On the other hand, it could well look better.