Sign in to follow this  
dennis3506

Dolby 5.1

I have watched, listened and carefully checked but I have never heard DD5.1 on Channel 10.

Have I missed any programs or are they not capable (or willing) to transmit DD5.1.

Some programs on HD I have heard this audio click at the start of film segments so I check the audio & it it is still DD2.

Surely they must have the appropriate equipment all the others have except maybe SBS

When was this demo on??? I want it.

:blink:

If dazza is in Adelaide, it would have been the Nine HD loop.

I have watched, listened and carefully checked but I have never heard DD5.1 on Channel 10.

TEN do not broadcast DD5.1. In lieu of this, try Dolby Surround decoding (Pro Logic I/II).

The only time I have experienced real dobly digital was today as channel nine had a HD dolby digital demo sounded really gr8 best I've heard on my setup. All the other channels broadcast DD as my STB recognises it. But my receiver usually shows a small DD input icon but today with the channel nine HD demo an extra red icon on my receiver light up showing it was a real DD transmission, the other channels must not be transmitting a true DD signal???

Are you checking out The Big Blue NOW on ABC 2 & 20 in 5.1?

Are you checking out The Big Blue NOW on ABC 2 & 20 in 5.1?

It doesn't sound too bad at all. Aunty has had some great sounding stuff lately, like the Kylie Minogue & Eagles concerts.

Hi Guys, I also have the Pana Plasma, but the problem I have is that my Pioneer amp only has 1 Optical input and 1 coax dolby input but I now have 3 devices with digital optical output, is there some sort of Hub or 3 to 1 switch so I can run all devices into the amp and select what one I am watching?? I have searched but cant find anything.

I appreciate any help and sorry to hijack :blink:

Cheers

Jas

Hi Guys, I also have the Pana Plasma, but the problem I have is that my Pioneer amp only has 1 Optical input and 1 coax dolby input but I now have 3 devices with digital optical output, is there some sort of Hub or 3 to 1 switch so I can run all devices into the amp and select what one I am watching?? I have searched but cant find anything.

I appreciate any help and sorry to hijack :blink:

Cheers

Jas

here you go homer

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...mp;SUBCATID=293

or

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?I...mp;SUBCATID=293

I seem to be struggling a bit with the DD5.1 as well.

I have the LG LST-5402P which outputs the signal to my Yamaha receiver via optic cable. The PVR is set to Dobly and on the amp it shows it as 5.1 speakers of sound is being output but the sound is really only stereo with some residual noise from behind. The display on the amp says it's Dobly Digital and depending on how I play around with its settings I either get centre speaker for voices and the L & R are pushed to the rear, or even worse is when ALL sound comes from the centre speaker.

I have it set at the moment so that it has a Pro-Logic kind of sound but it's really not 5.1

Anyone have any ideas or am I expecting too much and is TV's version of 5.1 not a very dispersed sound field.

Hope this is clear enough, thanks in advance for any help.

Horses for courses. When a movie with good quality DD 5.1 is being transmitted it is superb. eg, Terminator 3 or Harry Potter.

When it's not, it's not!

I seem to be struggling a bit with the DD5.1 as well.

I have the LG LST-5402P which outputs the signal to my Yamaha receiver via optic cable. The PVR is set to Dobly and on the amp it shows it as 5.1 speakers of sound is being output but the sound is really only stereo with some residual noise from behind. The display on the amp says it's Dobly Digital and depending on how I play around with its settings I either get centre speaker for voices and the L & R are pushed to the rear, or even worse is when ALL sound comes from the centre speaker.

I have it set at the moment so that it has a Pro-Logic kind of sound but it's really not 5.1

Anyone have any ideas or am I expecting too much and is TV's version of 5.1 not a very dispersed sound field.

Hope this is clear enough, thanks in advance for any help.

Some TV shows are broadcast in only 2 channel DD, but since you're hearing some bad noise from the rears, you could have a problem with your wiring/speaker connections? To test a proper DD5.1 broadcast switch to channel Sevens HD Demo (usually on during early afternoons I think).

Or maybe it's the optical input on your amp - have you tried plugging the audio cable from your PVR to another optical input?

If DVDs with DD5.1/DTS5.1 audio tracks play properly through your speakers, unplug your DVD player from your AVR & try using its' input for your PVR & see how that goes.

Let us know.

edit...

& yeah, FTA can broadcast stunning quality when it comes to sound - Spiderman, on the weekend just gone, had a 6.1DD audio track which sounded unreal. Terminator 3 was probably the best movie i've seen/heard since going digital. It matched DVD in audio, but killed it, visually.

I seem to have sorted out the issues with the sound. Most of the time I just get ambient sounds or music through the rears, it's not that it was bad or anything, I guess it was the expecting too much from TV shows. :blink:

I'll have to watch a few movies to see what I get, normally I don't watch them because if they're any good I usually have them on DVD anyway.

I've tried to listen to Seven's HD promo but I've seen it to many times and annoys the cr*p out of me.

Thanks to all who've replied.

I'll have to watch a few movies to see what I get, normally I don't watch them because if they're any good I usually have them on DVD anyway.

I've tried to listen to Seven's HD promo but I've seen it to many times and annoys the cr*p out of me.

Thanks to all who've replied.

If they're in HD, then the picture quality, at least, should be better than DVD.

& as much as the Seven promo annoys you, it's probably the easiest way to see if your rears are responding to 5.1 broadcast through your STB. Try & tolerate it for a few seconds. :blink:

Well, I have asked for and recieved the firmware update for the DGTec 7710, though I haven't applied it yet (I don't have the right cable lying around), but I thought I would just reiterate that the unit does not output the raw 5.1 stream for HD broadcasts.. it just plain doesn't!

I have a MacMini with EyeTV running that does output the raw digi stream to my Denon amp.. with this setup, the Denon says DolbyDigital, as opposed to the ProLogicII setting that it is derived by using the DGTec7710.

I saw a post somewhere else that suggested using this box as a door stop.

Not very complimentary but it's an idea! :)

I saw a post somewhere else that suggested using this box as a door stop.

Not very complimentary but it's an idea! :)

Mmm, I suppose you could, but the picture quality is great and the sound is fine, though not true surround... works fine as a secondary for me.