Sign in to follow this  
hmkwin

has anyone bought a KOnka LCD?

Hi all

Just wanna check if anyone has bought a KOnka LCD. I was looking at Konka 37" LCD on the weekend for approximately $2100(obviously it's a good price for that size)... I just want to see if anyone has issue with the LCD if they have bought one. Is it a good buy? or it's not worth buying? should I bother with something else less?

any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks

jees you'd want ot be brave buying any elctronics with a brand nakme liek that.

does it come with a mtching sand pit as well :blink:

mate keep your money rather than spoend it on no-name crap like this. save up and buy some thing from one of the knowm brands and decent. lot less grief this way and youd be a lot happier with the result

jees you'd want ot be brave buying any elctronics with a brand nakme liek that.

mate keep your money rather than spoend it on no-name crap like this. save up and buy some thing from one of the knowm brands and decent. lot less grief this way and youd be a lot happier with the result

That post gets a cookie for the most amount of spelling mistakes in a single post!

That post gets a cookie for the most amount of spelling mistakes in a single post!

You know what they say about throwing stones. :blink:

Yes, I have recently bought a Konka 98cm wide screen lcd tv.. and have had no worries with it. If anyone has issues against buying a brand name that they'd never heard of - think back to when LG came out.. it was something that no-one had ever heard of before, and it was cheap cheap cheap.. now it's one of the most reliable and well name brands that are out.

By the way, we paid $1799 for ours at good guys - they were having a birthday sale.

I disagree with the comment of this brand being crap - why else would the manufacturer offer a three year guarantee with their products when other brands offer only one or two?

In what univerase is LG viewed as quality?

Most reliable? mwhahahaah..

My friend had a Konka CRT. It was basically a Panasonic tube and chassis from memory. It has lasted many years. Great set.

But whats changed? There are only a handful of makers, so it cant be all that bad. Components can be sourced from anywhere. Look at Apple computers for example. Do you think they make everything at the factory? No way.

At the end of the day I would be looking at picture quality. Because thats what you want. You dont necessarily have to spend extra for the Sony badge guys, there can be some great bargains out there (and lemons also).

As for the Konka, I would continue to research elsewhere for some serious answers rather than getting jokes here :blink:

As for longevity, all you guys seem to do is update your gear to the latest anyway.

Better get those wallets ready for the 1920x1080 screens! :D:P:P

If anyone has issues against buying a brand name that they'd never heard of - think back to when LG came out.. it was something that no-one had ever heard of before, and it was cheap cheap cheap.. now it's one of the most reliable and well name brands that are out.

Oh, people had heard of LG alright. They'd heard of them under their old name - Goldstar. That brand name, by the end, virtually screamed "WILL FAIL WITHIN SIX MONTHS" :blink:

The name change to LG was, I suspect, an attempt at rebuilding their reputation. In my view they've only partially succeeded.

LG = Lucky Goldstar, the result of the marriage of Goldstar and the Lucky Chemical Company (I kid you not).

Ah, and coming back on topic I wouldn't touch a Konka. My friend had a Konka CRT that died - admittedly it lasted four years.

Hi all

Just wanna check if anyone has bought a KOnka LCD. I was looking at Konka 37" LCD on the weekend for approximately $2100(obviously it's a good price for that size)... I just want to see if anyone has issue with the LCD if they have bought one. Is it a good buy? or it's not worth buying? should I bother with something else less?

Thanks

Ok they are made in China but so what..half of Australia is by now with regards to labels.

The only issue I would have is the service centre.

With cheaper brand electronic always expect the unexpected.

Ok they are made in China but so what..half of Australia is by now with regards to labels.

The only issue I would have is the service centre.

With cheaper brand electronic always expect the unexpected.

I agree, China make some top class stuff now. Sure there are some bad chine manufacturing, but a lot of it is A Class nowadays.

jees you'd want ot be brave buying any elctronics with a brand nakme liek that (Konka).

Heh heh - we have a DVD player with the brand "Shinco" - sounds like a combination of shitty and shonky, which describes it well (although it has lasted and has been our first and only DVD player so Im not complaining)

Anna

Let me tell you the truth. Konka is the original manufacturer in China, it is also the biggest TV maufacturer in China.Their factory is so big that you will never see this size in Australia.So KONKA is a reliable brand, it does not like Centrex staff, aslo made in China,but made from cheap staff.

Their factory is so big that you will never see this size in Australia.So KONKA is a reliable brand, it does not like Centrex staff, aslo made in China,but made from cheap staff.

Just because it's a big factory doesn't guarantee reliability of it's products.

Cheap staff, you mean they don't pay them much, or is it a behaviour thing? :blink:

Konka, I thought they made toy trucks !!! :blink: - AAHH, now I remember from my childhood that was Tonka - great trucks, virtually indestructible, lasted for years :D

Shame we can't say that about Konka :P

Konka is marketed in Australia by a company in Victoria called Pebble Electronics (Scoresby). They also sell stuff under the "Conia" label and I think (not 100% sure) they import dishwashers and other whitegoods for Mistral (Clipsal) to sell in Kmart. I don't think there would be an issue with service. The one Konka set I owned (which I sold on when I bought a widescreen tv) was perfectly okay and when I rang Pebble to ask a question about setting the unit up they were most helpful.

As for LG...I had an extremely bad experience with service on a tv from this company and would never, on principle, buy any of their goods ever again.

i'm not sure though the last i heard, samsung had something to do with konka as a subsidiary company..

as for LG as far as i know licences technologies made by other companies and releases the products under thier own name badge...

from memory lg is a kiwi company...

most whitegoods we buy now days comes from westinghouse and thier subsidiary companies from NZ..

i'm not sure though the last i heard, samsung had something to do with konka as a subsidiary company..

as for LG as far as i know licences technologies made by other companies and releases the products under thier own name badge... from memory lg is a kiwi company...

most whitegoods we buy now days comes from westinghouse and thier subsidiary companies from NZ..

Konka and many other companies use each other's "bits" (tubes, ICs, etc...) to make their goods. LG hails from South Korea. It used to be known as "Goldstar" and was, for a time, imported into Australia by the Kambrook Company, in Victoria...I believe. Interesting aside: "LG" is used in advertising to denote "Life's Good". The real story behind the two letters has to do with a merger between Lucky Chemical Company and Goldstar... hence "LG"

As far as the whitegoods are concerned I know that Fisher Paykell originated in N.Z. but I would guess that Electrolux dominates whitegoods manufacturing in Australia, being that they sell stuff under labels like Hoover, Simpson, Dishlex etc...

Hi all

Thanks

Hello Group,

Just checking back to see if the original poster decided to buy this Konka LCD tv. I am evaluating it 32inch model here in San Diego as Tigerdirect.com is offering it for $629 USD. Has it been holding up for you?

Edited by tom in san diego

dunno about there LCD's but I have had konka CRT (refurbished one at that) for 10 yeasr and never a problem. Probably the best purchase I have ever made. I think at the time the salesman told me that konka was a subcintract for tubes for panasonic or something and also made parts for phillips, so the tv was a combination of these.

Yes, I have recently bought a Konka 98cm wide screen lcd tv.. and have had no worries with it. If anyone has issues against buying a brand name that they'd never heard of - think back to when LG came out.. it was something that no-one had ever heard of before, and it was cheap cheap cheap.. now it's one of the most reliable and well name brands that are out.

By the way, we paid $1799 for ours at good guys - they were having a birthday sale.

I disagree with the comment of this brand being crap - why else would the manufacturer offer a three year guarantee with their products when other brands offer only one or two?

I am looking at the same set and wondering if you are still having good luck witht his brand. Any new issues with it? Please help. thanks, tom

Edited by tom in san diego

As for LG...I had an extremely bad experience with service on a tv from this company and would never, on principle, buy any of their goods ever again.

Ditto ! Mini system, problems palying CDs since day one, returned under warrenty 3 times...still crap

Front loader washing machine, needed $350 in repairs a month after the warrenty ran out.....stuff that is standard issue on the 12month newer models so IMO should have been done as a factory recall... :blink:

LG....Load of Garbage

As for Konka, brothers ex girlfriend has a DVd and 68cm CRT....very average quality(picture,sound), but no problems so other far...

Why is everyone so against LG?

I've had a 68cm crt work perfectly for over 5 years that will be retired to the kids rumpus soon. 50" plasma will replace it!

A LG washing machine for over 6 years that still works perfectly.

A LG vacuum cleaner and LG microwave that costs half what the other brands cost and they still work perfectly after at least 3 years.

For me LG is cheap but reliable.

Back on topic. Why buy a no name brand LCD when you can buy a bugger brand name plasma for a lot cheaper?