It's very difficult search for short acronyms in the forums - so sorry for what is probably just a bunch of repeat questions.

Anyway, I want to connect my PC's DVI port (on the video card) to my plasma's DVI port just it try it out (playing movies & maybe games).

I'd totally fogotten that there's more than one type of DVI cable, so I just bought the cheapest (a DVI-I cable).

So, if I use this DVI-I cable, will it work? will it cause problems? And do I really need to buy a DVI-D instead?

Looks like I'll have to snap off the four analog pins on one end of the cable to make it fit - is that a good idea?

Not the best idea :D

I'll have a little search around but i'm they have an adapter for situations like that...i would say there is almost an adapter for every cable connection. :blink:

Not the best idea :D

I'll have a little search around but i'm they have an adapter for situations like that...i would say there is almost an adapter for every cable connection. :blink:

I found this adapter online (DVI-I to DVI-D adapter) - but that's US$39. They have to be kidding, I'm going to cut the pins off my AU$14.95 cable - I can't see why it won't work.

Well, I removed the four analogue pins - but then it turned out the wide pin in the centre was a little too wide. I managed to cut & file that down to size.

And now the cable works perfectly.

Why are DVDI-D cables so stupidly expensive (around $50 for the "cheap" ones). When I can get a DVI-I cable for $14.95 which actually has MORE functionality, more pins and more wire (ie the analogue connection). So the DVD-D cable should be cheaper (like $12.50 or something).

The prices being charged for digital cables are just ripping people off.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I removed the four analogue pins - but then it turned out the wide pin in the centre was a little too wide. I managed to cut & file that down to size.

And now the cable works perfectly.

Why are DVDI-D cables so stupidly expensive (around $50 for the "cheap" ones). When I can get a DVI-I cable for $14.95 which actually has MORE functionality, more pins and more wire (ie the analogue connection). So the DVD-D cable should be cheaper (like $12.50 or something).

The prices being charged for digital cables are just ripping people off.

I ran into the same problem today after buying the $15 cable from DSE. I had the same idea about removing the pins but didn't have the guts to try till I read your post ! :blink: It works perfectly. Thanks AdrianW.

I also bought the DSE DTR 8000 HD STB at the same time and discovered that the flat pin in the DVI-I didn't have to be filed down (although I did have to file the pin to fit in my 27" Samsung LCD TV).