so i f*@ked my DIY sub driver

bensl

i have a tempest x driver powered by an oaudio 500w amp in a ~200l sealed box. recently i have been hearing a strange clacking noise from the driver so at lunch i pulled the driver out and found one of the 4 braids connected to the cone has come away and was hitting the cone. i have emailed stuart (at audio marketplace) but he tells me it cannot be repaired and must be replaced. i trust what stuart is telling me but i cant seem to get my head around how the whole drive can be written off by one little cord.

majorly bummed out :P

If it's only a noise issue and the driver is still operating normally, it may be possible to glue the lead back on.

Is it possible to post a pic of the damaged lead?

(..how u could damage that driver, with that little amp, and in a sealed box?)

Edited by Mika75

I'm not surprised. Considering costs like shipping and labour, it could easily be in the "not worth it" basket ... even though it's probably quite easy to fix for someone set up to do it. DIY mods could easily change the moving mass, or simply not last.

I'm assuming you're covered by warranty or does this put you out of pocket?

If it's only a noise issue and the driver is still operating normally, it may be possible to glue the lead back on.

Is it possible to post a pic of the damaged lead?

(..how u could damage that driver, with that little amp, and in a sealed box?)

the noise issue can be solved easily but i was under the impression the driver will not operate correctly with the braid un-attached. it looks like it works ok but im not a expert. im not sure how i damaged it. i think i had the subsonic filter too low causing the driver over extend. i will post a pic tomorrow.

I'm not surprised. Considering costs like shipping and labour, it could easily be in the "not worth it" basket ... even though it's probably quite easy to fix for someone set up to do it. DIY mods could easily change the moving mass, or simply not last.

I'm assuming you're covered by warranty or does this put you out of pocket?

the impression i got was it was unrepairable by anyone. stuart said they cannot be repaired . shipping and labour didnt even come into it.

im pretty sure its not covered by warranty as it would be classed as 'abuse'.

Would a solder glue work? You could reinforce the bond with a layer of araldite.

thats what i was wondering. i dont even know what the braids do. i was told the braids are what carry the current to the voice coil. It forms an electrical connection. Once broken there is no way to fix it.

i trust stuart as he has no reason to mislead me but i was hoping a DIY guru could shed some more light on it.

Edited by bensl

I'd be extremely surprised if you couldn't fix this very easily. It's just one of the wires to one of the voice coils.

If, some odd reason, it can't be fixed you can still run the sub using a single voice coil. It may even work better.