DivX Playback

Is there any way of doing so?
Not without putting it on a PC, and re-encoding it into a DVD.

Why not consider getting one of the relatively inexpensive DivX certified players that are around?

The Pioneer DV 383 player can be picked up for about $140 at Hardly Normal. Plays DVDs, is DivX certified etc. Great unit.

current DVD player from Aldi will play it. $45.
There are probably a lot of cheap players that may be able to play a range of DivX and XviD files.

HN had a stack of cheap $69 players in their entrance area (grab your attention) that had DivX printed on the box. But they weren't DivX certified, for sure.

Unless you want a cheap player, the DivX certification logo is what you want to look for. That will guarantee the players will play back files produced (encoded) with certain DivX profiles, like 'Home Theatre'. It also is an indication that the units are produced with a certain level of quality engineering.

And there are hundreds of units out there now that use the chipsets internally that allow this DivX certification to happen. Philips, Pioneer, LG, Samsung etc.

• 4 months later...
Can be either, some players won't recognise the .divx extension but will play the file when renamed to .avi
Interesting. I've got heaps of .avi files and my encoder tells me some are DivX but I have never seen a file with the .divx extension.

I find all the formats and extension of all the files from all the various devices we use a bit perplexing and am interested in compiling a list of them all. If anyone feels keen could they PM me all the ones they know about?

Interesting. I've got heaps of .avi files and my encodere tells me some are DivX but I have never seen a file with the .divx extension.

From version 6 onwards the divx encoder has created files with .divx file extension, renaming to .avi will work for most players, most of the stuff downloaded is more likely encoded with xvid as this is more popular amongst the enthusiast community, divx is generally not favored due to their business model more than anything else

If you want to learn more about your files download Gspot and open your files, it will give you all the info regarding the file http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

From version 6 onwards the divx encoder has created files with .divx file extension, renaming to .avi will work for most players, most of the stuff downloaded is more likely encoded with xvid as this is more popular amongst the enthusiast community, divx is generally not favored due to their business model more than anything else

If you want to learn more about your files download Gspot and open your files, it will give you all the info regarding the file http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Yes I've got Gspot. And of course http://www.doom9.org/ is a good place to visit too. Will do some more reading. Just I have never seen a filename.divx file to date.

Was wondering what format mkv is? Never heard of it before.

Matroska, go here if you want to learn about it http://www.matroska.org/ the only chipset I'm aware of the supports it is the 86xx series from Sigma Designs, you won't find this chipset in any players below around the $500 mark though, just because the chipset can support doesn't mean that the manufacturer has MKV support implemented though, a few have announced future support but still not implemented from what I'm aware.

If you want something that supports everything sometimes a HTPC is the way to go

The trouble with .mkv is that it can contain all kinds of video & audio streams (eg. mp4, xvid, divx & mp3, ogg, etc) plus subtitle streams. I'd think you'd be very unlikely to find a standalone that can play all flavours of mkv.

With most mkv files you can use something like mkvextract (with mkvtoolnix) to extract all the files it contains (a video track, one or more audio tracks, optional subtitles & sometimes even fonts). And then use something like VirtualDubMod to re-encode to a basic XviD format. This is obviously a long and arduous task.

As jok11n says, the best way to ensure you can play everything is to go for an HTPC.

I'd think you'd be very unlikely to find a standalone that can play all flavours of mkv.

I went and checked and it seems to date none of the standalones support it, I thought the Helios might but no mention of it on their website, I know Zensonic are talking to Matroska about getting it working but it's still not done as yet (and no time frame as to when it might be either) HTPC is perhaps the best solution

Anybody know of a combo VCR/DVD (all formats) with DivX playback but also with USB.

I'm sick and tried of converting avi's into DVD's then burning them which I never will watch again. Rather just copy the AVI file to a USB key and plug in. Still need a VCR for the kids and I don't need a PVR as I don't record anything these days.

I'm sick and tried of converting avi's into DVD's then burning them which I never will watch again.

Just buy some DVD+/-RWs (I prefer the "+" variety). I've been reusing the same discs for a couple of years now.

Still buy a DivX player though, so you can just burn the avi's to the DVDs without having to convert to DVD format.