Acer AT3705-MGW Inbuilt SD Tuner Synch Problem

Channel 10 (576i) Melbourne does not synch properly when using the TV's built in SD tuner. The picture does not stretch to the extreme left of the screen (always about a 15mm gap only on the left hand side of the screen). All other Channels seem ok. Have been told that this is occurring in both Melbourne & Sydney.

Managed to contact a Technical Engineer at Channel 10, who advised that this is a problem with the set and is not a Network Digital transmission problem. It seems to be that the built in SD tuner has a problem interpreting the Channel 10 SD 576i signal. (NOTE: I have also seen the 40" LCD Wintal unit, with built in SD tuner showing this fault when watching Channel 10). The picture is actually offset to the right, about 15mm of picture on the RHS is cut off, leaving a gap on the LHS.

Have successfully had the 17 hour switch on problem repaired with a firmware upgrade but the problem above still remains. (I don't seem to have the 50Hz problem as mentioned in other topics on the Acer 37" LCD, the set also seems to be more responsive after the recent firmware upgrade)

Have reported this fault again to Acer (new case no.) but have had no reply. (probably have to wait for the next firmware fix).

My TV is one of the first units, purchased at David Jones.

I was told that these 2 faults are probably in all the first batch of units sold.

Has anybody else having this problem with the inbuilt SD tuner?

Does the 37" DTV model have the same fault?

My 37"Acer has exactly the same problem with the offset channel 10 but also has fluctuating volume levels on ABC, which makes it almost unwatchable at times,ABC2 is ok though.

Lip sync. varies through the built in tuner but is also anoying at times I also notice it occasionally on SBS.

Through my Topfield PVR all lip sync., fluctuating volume levels and ch.10 offset are gone and the picture is top class on all stations.

Channel 10 ...picture does not stretch to the extreme left of the screen (always about a 15mm gap only on the left hand side of the screen).

Dude you have entered the twilight zone that is "digital television" in Australia. Why are stations allowed to provide superfluous "channels" which have all the same content (probably same video PID too)? Why is 576p allowed to be called "HD"? Why is Channel 10 offset on not only the Acer, but also some PC digital tuners (at least)? Why is overscan tolerated or accepted as required? In this day and age why do we still have those ugly white timing signals at the top and bottom of the signal on a *digital* channel. Why was I getting a white bar at at the bottom of the screen last week on Ch10 HD only, and no longer? Why are ads filmed in 16:9 widescreen and then transmitted in letterboxed 4:3 only even on a digital channel, causing double black bars on a widescreen, and *triple* bars on a 4:3 screen equipped with STB? How are stations allowed to change audio encoding methods or PIDs without even informing anyone? These questions and more plague DBAers.

How can you be sure it's the Acer at fault?

Dude you have entered the twilight zone that is "digital television" in Australia. Why are stations allowed to provide superfluous "channels" which have all the same content (probably same video PID too)? Why is 576p allowed to be called "HD"? Why is Channel 10 offset on not only the Acer, but also some PC digital tuners (at least)? Why is overscan tolerated or accepted as required? In this day and age why do we still have those ugly white timing signals at the top and bottom of the signal on a *digital* channel. Why was I getting a white bar at at the bottom of the screen last week on Ch10 HD only, and no longer? Why are ads filmed in 16:9 widescreen and then transmitted in letterboxed 4:3 only even on a digital channel, causing double black bars on a widescreen, and *triple* bars on a 4:3 screen equipped with STB? How are stations allowed to change audio encoding methods or PIDs without even informing anyone? These questions and more plague DBAers.

How can you be sure it's the Acer at fault?

Channel 10 have advised that this is not a resolutuion problem with the set but an interpretation of the SD 576i signal. (digtial coding issue). If the signal is passed through any SD tuner before the set there is no evidence of picture offset. Some TV manufacturers who have only recently started producing sets with inbuilt digital tuners have not allowed for all the variations in Australia. The problem only seems to be with Wintal and Acer TV's. There have NOT been any reports to Channel 10 of this problem with other brands of TV or digital tuner boxes of picture offset. Some PC tuner cards however have this same fault!

Channel 10 have advised that this is not a resolutuion problem with the set but an interpretation of the SD 576i signal. (digtial coding issue). If the signal is passed through any SD tuner before the set there is no evidence of picture offset. Some TV manufacturers who have only recently started producing sets with inbuilt digital tuners have not allowed for all the variations in Australia. The problem only seems to be with Wintal and Acer TV's. There have NOT been any reports to Channel 10 of this problem with other brands of TV or digital tuner boxes of picture offset. Some PC tuner cards however have this same fault!

well just to confuse the matter, my Acer was having this exact problem with channel 9 here in canberra - 10 was fine. Now having just checked again all stations are fine???? Don't know when this came good as I watch all tv through my topfield - the SD tuner on this tv too slow switching channels and often gets 'hung' when there is no service.

Yes, I also have this fault (in Perth). One theory is that Ten run their stream at a slightly different resolution. Sorry, I can't remember the details.
well just to confuse the matter, my Acer was having this exact problem with channel 9 here in canberra - 10 was fine. Now having just checked again all stations are fine???? Don't know when this came good as I watch all tv through my topfield - the SD tuner on this tv too slow switching channels and often gets 'hung' when there is no service.

Yes, this proves that theory. Ten use 704x576i for SD and so do WIN. The above quote says it occurs with WIN in Canberra.

CHANNEL 10 SD 576i is transmitted at full 16:9 ratio (for most Australian content programs). This is NOT a resolution problem BUT a picture offset problem. The FAULT is in the inbuilt tuner of the ACER TV and is a de-coding issue. The picture is being pushed to the RHS leaving about a 12mm black line down the LHS of the screen. I am confident ACER will come up with another firmware upgrade to resolve this fault, it apparently exists in all the 37" models with built in SD tuner. For some reason the fault only appears to exist in Melbourne & Sydney and only on the ACER or WINTAL brand TV's.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
same problem here in adelaide with Channel 10 only.

Acer are replacing the set, found a bright pixel as well, and the set started to turn itself off at high volume. Lots of bugs me thinks. Time will tell if Acer does the right thing and gives me a fault free set.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, Acer did give me a new/refurbished set. much better. so if you have probs, just don't accept it, demand a new one.

Are you saying that your replacement set does not have the issue with Channel 10 being offset to the right ?

Have you - or anyone else - experienced any audio sync problems ?

All,

The importers and manufacturers have to make their products conform to the Australian Standard;

AS 4933.1-2005 :

Digital television - Requirements for receivers - VHF/UHF DVB-T television broadcasts

TV stations have to conform to;

AS 4599.1-2005 :

Digital television - Terrestrial broadcasting - Characteristics of digital terrestrial television transmissions

Standards Australia Shop

AlanH

Are you saying that your replacement set does not have the issue with Channel 10 being offset to the right ?

Have you - or anyone else - experienced any audio sync problems ?

My replacement set DOES NOT have the channel 10 offset problem. I don't know how they fixed it or if it is a later version, but there are no bright pixels and channel 10 is perfect. I'm glad I jumped up and down about it. The offset on channel 10 bugged me.

I had occasional audio sync probs on the first set, rarely tho, but I've had none on this replacement set.

Guest skipp

I only just realised the problem does occur on mine too (in Adelaide). Hadn't noticed before, because I sit a bit left to the tv :blink:

v1.01

I wonder if I can register mine with Acer as I didn't get the warrantee card with it and then contact them to get a technician out here...?...

I only just realised the problem does occur on mine too (in Adelaide). Hadn't noticed before, because I sit a bit left to the tv :D

v1.01

I wonder if I can register mine with Acer as I didn't get the warrantee card with it and then contact them to get a technician out here...?...

My replacement set DOES NOT have the channel 10 offset problem. I don't know how they fixed it or if it is a later version, but there are no bright pixels and channel 10 is perfect. I'm glad I jumped up and down about it. The offset on channel 10 bugged me.

I had occasional audio sync probs on the first set, rarely tho, but I've had none on this replacement set.

interesting, whats the firmware on your replacement?

• 3 weeks later...

This problem is NOT a problem with Acer Tvs.

It is a problem with the signal broadcast by the proposed channels.

Has anyone noticed that this problem happens more in the programs and not at all during the commercials?

This is because with SD tuners, the signal is sent/recieved as 2 separate streams. With the ads, the tv station spends more effort trying to keep these 2 streams in sync, where as with the programs, they don't bother.

To register your warranty, call 1300 365 100 and quote your serial number (S/N: evm###blah##blah... its 22 characters long...)

As for getting a tech out, they wont do it for this problem because there is no way of fixing it from the TV end.

Hi all,

I had the problem on a brand new tv delivered last week with audio sync on ch2 and bar down the lh side on ch10.

I am in Adelaide and had fw V1.11.

I had the choice of waiting for a new 1 or getting it repaired. I chose the latter.

Both problems have now been eliminated. The guy i spoke 2 said the fw needed to be upgraded and that also the Digital tv FW had to be upgraded.

I can confirm that the fw is now V1.012.

As i didn't record the old DTV fw number can only tell you that the new is V1.08R2.

Certainly seems like an Acer problem to me!

Hope this help some.