Pioneer PDP-5000EX

Enhanced ISF C 3 capability allows a certified calibrator to perform advanced colour calibration with never-before-achieved simplicity, accuracy and reliability. It includes a detailed gamma selection with eight steps.

That's good news means that what you see in store can be improved on later :blink:

cheers laurie

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good news means that what you see in store can be improved on later :blink:

cheers laurie

alright for $200 bucks a pop... you wouldn't want to change you curtains, lighting or the location of the panel in the house, otherwise you have to get them out again.

This would be good if you could hook it up to a PC and do a DIY calibration (with in factory set parameters so you don't damage the panel).

The denon avr-4306 I'm looking at has this functionality, which is good. pretty soon everything in your home will be hooked upto your pc by either wireless or network cable.

Bring on the TV - I wanna see it.

Keg75

Direct from Pioneer on an email today;

Thanks for your inquiry about our PDP-5000EX true high-definition plasma.

I'm pleased to tell you that the split-screen Picture & Picture option allows you to swap between all available sources.

As for availability, we are expecting to launch the PDP-5000EX in the July-August period.

If there is anything else you would like to know about our products please don't hesitate to contact us.

I saw it on the European site here;

http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/content/pre.../PDP5000EX.html

Looks fantastic, I'm going to save up as I'm not happy with any brand out there at the moment. If its not the PIP not working on all inputs, its something else like only 1 HDMI input or something!

Mossy

I bet you will use PIP for the first week and never use it again :blink:

alright for $200 bucks a pop... you wouldn't want to change you curtains, lighting or the location of the panel in the house, otherwise you have to get them out again.

This would be good if you could hook it up to a PC and do a DIY calibration (with in factory set parameters so you don't damage the panel).

The denon avr-4306 I'm looking at has this functionality, which is good. pretty soon everything in your home will be hooked upto your pc by either wireless or network cable.

Bring on the TV - I wanna see it.

Keg75

use a Spider and do your own if you want! if you spend $15000 or so what's $200 just over 1% of the purchase price to get an extra 20% in picture performace!

cheers laurie

Is this new Pio will be better quality compared to Hitachi Director series (1080p panel as well), which probably in the $8000 range, 40% cheaper compared to the price of this Pio? You can buy decent scaler for that price difference!

use a Spider and do your own if you want! if you spend $15000 or so what's $200 just over 1% of the purchase price to get an extra 20% in picture performace!

cheers laurie

200/15000 isn't much but if you move it 5 times ina year (for whatever reason) that a 1000/(15000 - depreciation)

so is costly.

keg75

Is this new Pio will be better quality compared to Hitachi Director series (1080p panel as well), which probably in the $8000 range, 40% cheaper compared to the price of this Pio? You can buy decent scaler for that price difference!

ben1680 - what/ where did you get this info? I've look on hitachi's us website and their panels are virtual 1080P - which I assume there are upscaled to acheive this?

what are the panels you've suggested? where did you get the info - can you post the link? I have heard of a another 1080P plasma coming out soon however it has a wacky native resolution of 1024 x 1080p. isntead of 1980 x 1080p.

thanks keg75

ps - one of the guys responded to my emails - he said that pioneer has been surprised by the amount ot interest this future aus product has received...hope this means lower pricing not raised pricing.

the hitachi is 1024 x 1080...

the others ones I've seen and used for comparison of price to get the 12300 or what i mentioned bfore. so pioneer if they price at 14-15K are gonna get a nice premium...

I have just got off the phone to pioneer.

The lady told my that they will be released this month, but that may push back to July.

She said that they have the first shipment in the modifcation department at the monent getting checked for quality purposes.

I asked the price and she said she had a price of $15000.00 at this time. She didn't expect that to change.

She said that the first shipment they received was small and that the next shipment in a month will be quite large. I guess they test the water with a few models rather than getting heaps in and not be able to move them...

Anyway thats the news from pioneer as at 10:25am WST.

I better have a bit of big cause that a whole lot of money to sepnd on a 50" panel...

keg75

I have just got off the phone to pioneer.

The lady told my that they will be released this month, but that may push back to July.

She said that they have the first shipment in the modifcation department at the monent getting checked for quality purposes.

I asked the price and she said she had a price of $15000.00 at this time. She didn't expect that to change.

She said that the first shipment they received was small and that the next shipment in a month will be quite large. I guess they test the water with a few models rather than getting heaps in and not be able to move them...

Anyway thats the news from pioneer as at 10:25am WST.

I better have a bit of big cause that a whole lot of money to sepnd on a 50" panel...

keg75

:blink: What ... July next year? We've been in July for a week, haven't we. Pioneer & Topfield aren't related are they! :P

Anyhow ... when this baby drops to $5000 I'll have a piece of it! :D:P

I think $15,000 for a panel these days is lunacy. Must be one hell of a panel this one. I can remember panels costing moeny like this few years ago. And many paid that sort of cash for them. It was unfortunate though that it wasnt not that many years later that people were payign half that for even better performing panels. Ah the price of the bleeding edge.

:blink: What ... July next year? We've been in July for a week, haven't we. Pioneer & Topfield aren't related are they! :P

Anyhow ... when this baby drops to $5000 I'll have a piece of it! :D:P

sorry thinking i'm in june so next month would be august.... the guy originally said july/ august.

I think $15,000 for a panel these days is lunacy. Must be one hell of a panel this one. I can remember panels costing moeny like this few years ago. And many paid that sort of cash for them. It was unfortunate though that it wasnt not that many years later that people were payign half that for even better performing panels. Ah the price of the bleeding edge.

yes it is lunacy - but people like to bragg about what they have. that why people go and buy top not PC's and top notch cars - it;s all about a stats symbol.

taker a suburb street. Family A went out and bought a 15000 TV. so everyone thinks they must be made of money. family B go out and buy the same TV 6months after and paid 1/2 price. the guy who buys the tv at 1/2 price is obviously the smart one as he saved his $$$. but thats all he's recognised for in his family, wheres the guy down the road is know as the tosser with the big TV....hehe.

The Panel is uspposed to te the SH!T. being the first True HD panel they can command more for the product even thought the numbers are crap. If you see my comparison of price betwwen Uk and here for the same product this TV should be around 12400 RRP bot 15000RRP, but pioneer know that there are tossers out there who like to bragg out the 15K TV they just bought.

What I'd like to know is what pioneers markup (ie difference between cost and retail). My girlfriend couldn't find that many products from them so as best I can tell you can save 7% (which I think is too low). with sony (going from GF's pricing) you can save around 20% and panasonic is a whopping 35%. If you assume 20% for pioneer you could get this panel for around 12000.

Cool. Can't wait to cop a review of this panel.......

on avsforum a guy had one on order and was going to post some stuff.. the next day he said he had it and post a couple of bits then he must have got caught up watch his tv because he didn't provide the review that he intended.

just had alook and he's added a couple of snippets..

check out...

the link to a pdp-5000 user review

I cant see how the price of this 50” is sustainable when the 65” 1080p Panasonic can be had for the same sort of money.

The 65” Panasonic should be $10K USD, and that would mean close to $15k AUD.

Personally, I would not even consider a 50”, and it yet to be seen if the 65” Panasonic is better then a 70” Sony SXRD at half the price.

I cant see how the price of this 50” is sustainable when the 65” 1080p Panasonic can be had for the same sort of money.

The 65” Panasonic should be $10K USD, and that would mean close to $15k AUD.

Personally, I would not even consider a 50”, and it yet to be seen if the 65” Panasonic is better then a 70” Sony SXRD at half the price.

I've seen the 61" pioneer for 12K in perth.

In my room the 61" would be like sitting in the front row at a cinema. the 50" is bordline too big but I'd like the large format for future rooms - Plus i'd like 1980x1080 and you can't get any smaller than 50" in true HD.

I'm not familiar with the pana and sony sxrd but I've heard people compare to the sony heaps.... it must be pretty good.

You must have a VERY small room there mate.

I currently view a 57” screen from 2.8 meters and its not big.

A 65” viewed from the same distance provides a viewing angle of only 28.8 degrees, which is the equivalent of sitting near the back of the cinema.

For your eyes to be able to fully resolve 1920x1080 res on a 65”, you would need to sit only 2.6 meters from the screen. For a 50” it would be only 2.0 meters.

The whole idea of a 1920x1080 res is it allow you to sit very close to a BIG screen.

If you are going to sit 3 meters from the screen, a 50” is way to small, and 1920x1080 res is wasted, as your eyes just cant resolve it. You may as well buy a 768p 50”.

That why I said I would not consider a 50”.

The 61” Pioneer you saw was only a 768p model.

The new 65” Panasonic is 1080p, and is due for release in the US late this year at around $10k US.

It’s anyone’s guess when it will come down under.

The third generation Sony 1080p SXRD’s are due for release in the US this month, and here late this year, if we are lucky.

A 70” SXRD should be little more then half the price of the 65” Panasonic, and performance should be very comparable.

You must have a VERY small room there mate.

I currently view a 57” screen from 2.8 meters and its not big.

A 65” viewed from the same distance provides a viewing angle of only 28.8 degrees, which is the equivalent of sitting near the back of the cinema.

For your eyes to be able to fully resolve 1920x1080 res on a 65”, you would need to sit only 2.6 meters from the screen. For a 50” it would be only 2.0 meters.

The whole idea of a 1920x1080 res is it allow you to sit very close to a BIG screen.

If you are going to sit 3 meters from the screen, a 50” is way to small, and 1920x1080 res is wasted, as your eyes just cant resolve it. You may as well buy a 768p 50”.

That why I said I would not consider a 50”.

The 61” Pioneer you saw was only a 768p model.

The new 65” Panasonic is 1080p, and is due for release in the US late this year at around $10k US.

It’s anyone’s guess when it will come down under.

The third generation Sony 1080p SXRD’s are due for release in the US this month, and here late this year, if we are lucky.

A 70” SXRD should be little more then half the price of the 65” Panasonic, and performance should be very comparable.

The length between screen and eyes would be around 3.8m. I think that the 50" would suffice personally, the 61" would look huge in my room, it would just dominate it, even though it technically might be fine for wiewing angles and from a perception point of view (articles on view distance ), I still think it's overkill....

I'd like something which will looks nice, is great to watch and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to own.

From talking to pioneer the pdp-5000ex is gonna be quite pricey (14 or 15000 depending on which week you phone...), I personally would have liked to spend no more than 10K.

With the pdp-5000ex I talked to the guy I am going to buy my stuff from - he said I should hold off buying it for about 3 months as the price will come down a bit. Pioneer need to sell it in volume (not just to people who want to brag). This will suit me as I've decided that I'm getting my audio equipemnt first and TV Last. This was brought about by seeing the toshiba 47wl66 (which can look good but i've seen it look bad, and it looks bad), I'm not happy with plasma reflections so thought I'd wait an see what happens with TV's in Aus.

I also figured that audio (speakers and receivers) isn't changing at the same rate as plasma/lcd TV's are so I happy to wait till the october/ november (or later) as something a bit better might have come out by then (braviaX lcd?). The guy has said that I'll get a anywhere upto 23% off the price (depending on pioneers markup) would this seem about right?

But I'm still waiting to see what thias panel look like. Like I said the toshiba wasn't that good, considering it was suppsed to be 33% quicker and have better colours etc. So may be the Hd model plasam won't be that great either. {sidenote: I saw the pioneer PDP-43MXE1 setup yesterday that look nice watching the afl - only thing I would crticise is that players looked like they had a black outline at times.}

I just checked out the US sony sxrd Tv's - nice. Is there any likely hood they will come out here? Not an option for me as I don't want a 'thick' TV but for my parents HT room it would be a good compromise between projector and plasma/ lcd. My dad's working on the mines now so hopefully they can afford some good gear :blink:

later Keg75

A 50” screen with 1920x1080 res is a complete waste of time at 3.8 meters.

Save your self a heap of cash and buy a 768p 50”.

SXRD’s should be here by years end.

whadaya mean it s complete waste of time? what do you suggest then? did you see the link about view distance on what we perceive? the 50" is fine.

You seem to have misinterpreted the graph in your link.

If you look again, you will see that to resolve 1080 on a 50” screen, you would need to sit no more then 6.5 feet form the screen.

For 720p you would need to be closer then 10 feet.

3.8 meters is over 12 feet so for a 50” display, 768 resolution is more then you need, and 1080 will be completely unresolvable to the human eye, hence a waste of time.

Here is another viewing distance calculator to compare.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vie...calculator.html

It also confirms that to resolve 1080 resolution on a 50” display, you need to be no more then 6.5 feet or 2 meters from the screen.

A 65” display would need to be viewed from around 2.6 meters to resolve 1080, so even that is way too small for a 3.8 meter viewing distance.

That is way I want a 65-70” screen for my 2.8 meter viewing distance.