Sign in to follow this  
drsonic

New Samsung 42" Plasma with integrated HD STB?

Thanks 306xt.

What's your opinion of the inbuilt DTV tuner?

Is it true that there is also no stereo output when watching DTV?

I think the inbuilt DTV tuner is great, its a one box solution. You plug in all the cables, turn on the set and away you go. The configuration took about 5-10min the tuning of all the channel is all automatic (no need for the manual) After everything is set up, you can switch between all the different function with the same remote. The EPG system is generally good with the usual features. Having the tuner built in is great if you aren't going to spend another grand on a PVR with 60GB harddrive. I've alraedy got so many stuff plug into my tv, I really dont need another machine just so I can watch TV.

It's true there's no stero output when watch DTV, which is a bummer! as my set up blows the 10+10W speakers away (quality that is).

I think the inbuilt DTV tuner is great, its a one box solution. You plug in all the cables, turn on the set and away you go. The configuration took about 5-10min the tuning of all the channel is all automatic (no need for the manual) After everything is set up, you can switch between all the different function with the same remote. The EPG system is generally good with the usual features. Having the tuner built in is great if you aren't going to spend another grand on a PVR with 60GB harddrive. I've alraedy got so many stuff plug into my tv, I really dont need another machine just so I can watch TV.

It's true there's no stero output when watch DTV, which is a bummer! as my set up blows the 10+10W speakers away (quality that is).

Get yourself an decent AMP, I plug my LG 4DV optical out to a Onkyo amp and get full surround sound Dolby Digital in analog of course, but as far as I know there is nothing out there yet that can record High Definition!. :blink:

Get yourself an decent AMP, I plug my LG 4DV optical out to a Onkyo amp and get full surround sound Dolby Digital in analog of course, but as far as I know there is nothing out there yet that can record High Definition!. :blink:

That's the problem with the PS42D7HD, there is no optical out from the set, so it doesn't matter what sort of amp or speakers, those with this TV is still stuck with the internal sound system

That's the problem with the PS42D7HD, there is no optical out from the set, so it doesn't matter what sort of amp or speakers, those with this TV is still stuck with the internal sound system

for the above reasons thats why i bought an individual HD set top box.

Optical out

SD output

having the box in the tv limits you so much plus i can just replace the box with something later and use the box as a spare tv etc rather than moving the plasma

at the moment there is only 1 LCD manufacturer (panasonic) that output in SD but even then you have the set on to output.

LG and sumsung only output analogue too bad if you want to record the WOrld cup you have to go buy a PVR but then you cant keep it via DVD.

I bought a HD box untill then put twin HD tuners ina DVD recroder (coming soon i hear) which solves all the problems. when they do come out ill put the box in another room as a spare/backup.

the idea is good but you sacrafice a lot of features (recording, sound, options, increase risk in repair/costs of repair etc)

Hi,

So am i right in thinking the only difference between the PS42D7HD and PS42S5H is that the

7HD has the intergrated tuner?

i've been looking at both these sets and i prefer the look of the S5H with the piano black finish,

from what i can see on the Samsung site the both have; 10000:1 contrast, 549B col, 1300cd/m2 Brightness

and 1024x768 res.

If the sound issue is as simple as hooking it up to a STB or HT thats not really much of a prob. (although Samsung should have set it right to begin with)

Also does anyone know how much picture quality difference there is between the 42 at 1024 res and the 50 at 1366?

Ive pretty much made up my mind to get the 42 but that screen res has been in the back of my mind.

And if anyone has the Samsung HTIB P1200T hooked up id like to hear your thoughts on it, i got offered a fair deal on that with the TV.

Thanks.

I bought a HD box untill then put twin HD tuners ina DVD recroder (coming soon i hear) which solves all the problems. when they do come out ill put the box in another room as a spare/backup.

LG have two HiDef twin tuner HDD's on the market a 160G (~$1000) and a 250G (~1200)..

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=35435

Well after my man in Harvey Norman confirmed that there is no audio out when watching through DTV, I decided to get the Panasonic 42PV60a. I went for PQ over the built in tuner and apparently all the LG's coming into SA have tuning issues (factory default settings are not correct for SA conditions is what I was told).

I'll get the Pana tomorrow... so i guess I'll be posting in that thread not this one :blink:

When you say no audio out do you mean no digital audio out? There is still a stereo analog signal from the free-to-air tuner isnt there? You could plug that into your receiver and do Pro-Logic 2 or something.

Cheers

Nick

The av out will only send the sound from the AV in,for instance XBOX, not from the internal tuner, insane really. Some friends have this unit and this is what they discovered. I rang samsung who confirm this

The av out will only send the sound from the AV in,for instance XBOX, not from the internal tuner, insane really. Some friends have this unit and this is what they discovered. I rang samsung who confirm this

Thanks for that - so you can hook up Foxtel and your DVD through the back - then hook them up to your amp for sound and there is no way to get the free-to-air sound to your amp? It really is insanity and may stop lots of people from buying this!

Cheers

Nick

Hi,

So am i right in thinking the only difference between the PS42D7HD and PS42S5H is that the

7HD has the intergrated tuner?

i've been looking at both these sets and i prefer the look of the S5H with the piano black finish,

from what i can see on the Samsung site the both have; 10000:1 contrast, 549B col, 1300cd/m2 Brightness

and 1024x768 res.

If the sound issue is as simple as hooking it up to a STB or HT thats not really much of a prob. (although Samsung should have set it right to begin with)

Also does anyone know how much picture quality difference there is between the 42 at 1024 res and the 50 at 1366?

Ive pretty much made up my mind to get the 42 but that screen res has been in the back of my mind.

And if anyone has the Samsung HTIB P1200T hooked up id like to hear your thoughts on it, i got offered a fair deal on that with the TV.

Thanks.

just for the record and if you want to compare other products the stats they quote (10:001 contrast & 549bil colours) arent correct, i just had to state that as it is one of my pet hates. the stats are not viewable rather than clever stat marketing BS

anyway regarding your 42 vs 50 and res difference.

YES the resolution is higher but it really depends on your seating position to weather you get any benefit out of it.

the link provided highlights the fact that depedning on how far away you sit SD can look just as good as HD (panel not transmission output) as your eyes can only see the individual pixels depedning on how far away you sit from the panel.

maxing out resolution

hope this helps

just for the record and if you want to compare other products the stats they quote (10:001 contrast & 549bil colours) arent correct, i just had to state that as it is one of my pet hates. the stats are not viewable rather than clever stat marketing BS

anyway regarding your 42 vs 50 and res difference.

YES the resolution is higher but it really depends on your seating position to weather you get any benefit out of it.

the link provided highlights the fact that depedning on how far away you sit SD can look just as good as HD (panel not transmission output) as your eyes can only see the individual pixels depedning on how far away you sit from the panel.

maxing out resolution

hope this helps

HI, thanks for the reply, why do you think the contrast of 10000:1 and 549 billion colours is not correct?

Im no expert but that info has been readily available for quite awhile, on Samsung official website and many other places, they would have us believe that those are the correct stats so im a bit confused as to where you have got your info.

The colour count may be out of human eye range but it does make a difference, a good example of this is computer monitors where you can control colour range etc, quite an obvious difference.

The contrast ratio and brightness could not be more important in my opinion.

Thanks.

Im not disagreeing with that fact that the more colours = the more realistic picture, in fact our eyes can see an infinite amount of colours (i did some research as i was intrested to see how many colours is too many) BUT they have to be in a contrasting range to each other a lsight yellow vs a darker yellow.

What i am stating is that the 549Billion colours and contrast ratios from Samsung are NOT VIEWABLE but rather quoting what their processor can handle = big deal

i will try and prove it via two means

1. from their own site ( LCD)

Samsung LCD

they quote 10bit = 6.4 Billion colours.

the real MATH behind colurs = 10 bit equals 2 to the power of 10 = 210v= 1024

that 1024 is then multiplied by REd, green and then blue = 1024 to the power of three

= 1.07 Billion colours

2. Down load their manual (from same link as above near top right of screen) and if you look at the specs in the back of the manual (page 60) it states total colours 16,77 Million colours (this is the same for ALL LCDs due to crystal movment and backlight issues) this is the REAL VIEWABLE colours

SO their colour range is actually 8bit (panel) and dont ask me HOW they get to their magical 6.4 billion colours and their 10 bit MATHS doesnt even stack up.

they are doing the same "MAGICAL" comparisons with their plasmas.

i suspect 1.07 billion or 16,77 million VIEWABLE colours (similar to most manufacturers) on their plasma.

SIMPLE REASON their is NO legislation to what you want to quote in regards to specs you can quote whatever you like its only a few honest manufacturers that tell WHAT IS VIEWABLE not what their spec sheeet and other processors are capable of.

if you notice on the lcd site to it mentions 5000:1 contrast ratio = crap

put that next to a plasma (in hometheatre room) and you see that plasma (any plasma but take a panasonic which is REAL 4000:1 (2005 model), and i gaurantee it will look a lot better, especially in dark scense.

here is a link to a panasonic 2005 brochure which on (page 8 down the bottom) highlights what i am trying to say a bit more

2 processors which is displayable/viewable which is a processor (they quote 4 trillion as their processor)

i dont mean to harp on about the pana it just supports what i am trying to say and has some proof to back me up

2005 brochure 3.4mb

You will aslo notice that the pana11 bit (viewable processor) is quoted at 8.58 Billion colours where the LCD samsung 10bit = 6.4 again doesnt add up on their part and it makes me doubt all the other stats too.

this is what i hate about the industry the smoke screens of misinformation and marketing BS to try and sell product- as i daid a lot of other manufactures do it with heaps o fthings

response times, cotnrast, colours, burn in (bullshit) etc etc

i didnt cover the constrast too much im sorry.

there are many ways in which to measure cotnrast ratios. Ful black and white on the screen should be the true test but thats not what manufacuters state.

1. take their own officail website again about the 5000:1 on their LCD, yes they make quite an ok LCD but why then is every other manufacturer stating 1200:1 such as Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic etc. Put the lcd next to the others and you cant see that their "magical" 5000:1 is any better then the others so why the rating?

2. they could measure "dynamic contrast" with their LCD backlight down in dark scenes then up in bright scenes again this is not what is viewabl AT ONE TIME if you were looking at white and black on the same screen

BACK TO PLASMAS some manufacuters measure there plasmas a number of ways. again their is no law to sate HOW you got to your numbers its relied on good industry faith (yeah right)

some measure without the glass and 'box" of their panel and then put it together and measure the black response (with black filter, glass etc) to get their contrast ratio

some meausre black of the unit turned off (yeah carzy i know)

others measure plasma in first 100hrs when the phospher is new and slightly brighter

then measure their blacks after the 100hrs

all i know is if they state 5000:1 and non VIEWABLE colours on the LCD why would they do any differnt for their Plasma, and why should i beleive theri 10,000:1 contrast ration when all the other stuff is NON viewable stat bashing.

Bottom line jakieblak - believe only your eyes, not the specs.........

agreed madmax, unfortuantly a lot of stores dont resemble your loung room or where your ogign to watch it..

does anyone else have bright flueors in their home when their watching hometheatre etc????

needs to be in a hometheate environment IMHO

Ok thanks for that, so stats really have no meaning then?

to some extent YES,unfortunatly apples are not APPles you can sometimes get lemons which taste nothing like apples.

if you dont have the time to download a nd critique everything they say (which unfortuantly you just about have to, and unfortuantly the salespeople spread the dribble that they have been told by reps etc as well unless they are an electrical enthusiast)

so yes, disregard them to some extent, im not going to say who is truthful and who isnt because i dont want to be seen as "promoting" one or two brands (thats about it all who speak the truth these days)

But i would, try and create an environment that resembles where you are going to whatch it (ie sooty at night, have it setup in a hometheatre room etc as im sure you doont hae BRIGHT fluros on your room, plus fluros and a too brightly lit room, washes out the subtle differnces and colours between panels) and pick one dvd that you love to watch that has some good content. ie some bright scenes, some really dark scenes (night shots etc) and some action (could be more than one disk)

use this disk as your base or trial. that way you are going to get a consistant pictue by using the same content

(i know sony central use a blueray player for some of their LCD demonstrations for example so its going to look better than DVD or better than when you take it home adn play your dvds)

and use this as a test. pcik 2-3 sets that you like or have been told are quite good and just focus on those 3 (so you dont get too confused)

then let your eyes decide.

I saw this panel the otherday and i thought it had a really good PQ. It was set up next to a pioneer and a pana and i thought it actually had the better picture. It proberly just the fact it was running on its intergrated hd tuner. I was going to add it to my shortlist in my quest for a big screen - until i checked back to this thread and realised the no audio out problem.

HOW CAN SAMSUNG GET AWAY WITH THIS?

If i had bought this screen and gto it home i would be really pissed off. makes you wonder how many of these have been returned.

Speaking as the former marketing manager of samsung (and the person who specified that particular TV with the factory in korea - I can recommend the integrated HD tuner model. A very good TV technically.

Speaking to everyone out there: Please watch out for manufacturers who package integrated HD tuners with SD panels. The Samsung is the real deal, and most of the cheaper brands are not.

Julian (brandscreen)

WTF??? If i had made such a big cock up and let the specification go through for a HOME THEATRE sized plasma without any way of hooking the sound up to a home theatre there is no way i would be posting that i was involved

i will try and prove it via two means

1. from their own site ( LCD)

Samsung LCD

they quote 10bit = 6.4 Billion colours.

the real MATH behind colurs = 10 bit equals 2 to the power of 10 = 210v= 1024

that 1024 is then multiplied by REd, green and then blue = 1024 to the power of three

= 1.07 Billion colours

2. Down load their manual (from same link as above near top right of screen) and if you look at the specs in the back of the manual (page 60) it states total colours 16,77 Million colours (this is the same for ALL LCDs due to crystal movment and backlight issues) this is the REAL VIEWABLE colours

SO their colour range is actually 8bit (panel) and dont ask me HOW they get to their magical 6.4 billion colours and their 10 bit MATHS doesnt even stack up.

Probably borrowed from the creative genii(is that the correct plural of genius?) at Hitachi with regards to the 8800 series PDP's. They claim 68.blah blah billion 'colours' using a variation of this method which includes four additional 'sub-scales' in each of the 1024 greyscales.

Take the tip from mythbuster & let your eyes decide.

Now, back to the actual topic of this thread; Samsungs complete lack of foresight in omitting ANY audio out whatsoever from the integrated HD tuner. WTF were they thinking??!! IMO a superior PQ to its non-integrated predecessor & the 42PX5D but at least you can output ALL D&A audio from ANY source on the LG thru a single optical out; A breeze for installations. And for thier next joke?

Bonus HTIB and/or DVD/HDD on these models!!!

BTW i have no affiliation with these or any other consumer electronics manufacturer......so there :blink:

Strange... The Features page (http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/plasmatv/ps_42d7hd.asp?page=Features) lists the resolution as "High Definition Panel 1366x768 Resolution", but the Specifications page (http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/plasmatv/ps_42d7hd.asp?page=Specifications) says "Resolution 1024 x 768".

I think the Features page specs are wrong. Someone at Samsung probably did a copy and paste from the LCD TV's specs and forgot to change them for the plasma! If it really is 1366 x 768, that would make this TV *very* interesting...

Has anyong checked out the resolution specified in the manual? I've only got a dial-up connection, so the 13MB PDF file would take me forever to download.

- Mav

I just bought one of these plasmas from JB-hifi and picked it up on Sunday under the impression that it was a 1366x768 capable plasma! This was a huge selling point for me, and also the integrated DTV tuner. But now reading this thread and realising that the resolution is actually only 1024x768, and the tuner has no audio out to my HT system, then I am strongly considering taking this back.

Does anyone know if I'm screwed? Do I have any options as I purchased the the product after being given incorrect specifications? Is it a JB or Samsung issue if I choose to take this up?

HELP!

I just bought one of these plasmas from JB-hifi and picked it up on Sunday under the impression that it was a 1366x768 capable plasma! This was a huge selling point for me, and also the integrated DTV tuner. But now reading this thread and realising that the resolution is actually only 1024x768, and the tuner has no audio out to my HT system, then I am strongly considering taking this back.

Does anyone know if I'm screwed? Do I have any options as I purchased the the product after being given incorrect specifications? Is it a JB or Samsung issue if I choose to take this up?

HELP!

I would take it back as its false advertising.

Take it back NOW!

Whats the point in getting a built in DTV with no way to listen to it through your AV receiver? This is such a huge Problem for Samsung I'm not sure why they havent pulled the unit all together or at least reduced the price hugely under the understanding that there is an audio out problem.

The guy who sold it either knew about the problem and chose not to share it, or geniunely didnt know about the issue at all (as was the case with me)

. Either way they should not have a choice in taking the unit back if they did not or could not tell you that the in built tuner would not work with an external amp.

Also there are no 42" Plasma with 1366 res its a physical impossibilty atm with the size of the pixels. Only 50" plus screens can do it.

HELP!

If JB advertised it as 1366x768 (in a pamphlet or on the price ticket) then it's false advertising and you are entitled to a FULL REFUND. Below is a quote from the Qld Dept. of Fair Trading website. If you are in another state, you'll need to check the local laws, but they won't be too different

- Mav

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/oft/oftw...E6?OpenDocument

Refunds

You are entitled to return goods and ask for a refund, exchange or repair if the goods you purchased:

- Have a fault that you could not have known about at the time of purchase;

- Are not the same as the description provided by the salesperson or advertisement;

- Do not match the sample you were shown at the time of purchase; and/or

- Do not do the job as you were led to believe.

You are not entitled to a refund if you:

- simply change your mind or no longer want the goods;

- realise you can't afford the goods;

- found the same item at a cheaper price elsewhere;

- chose the wrong size)or colour;

- knew about the particular fault prior to purchase; and/or

- were responsible for causing the fault.

If JB advertised it as 1366x768 (in a pamphlet or on the price ticket) then it's false advertising and you are entitled to a FULL REFUND. Below is a quote from the Qld Dept. of Fair Trading website. If you are in another state, you'll need to check the local laws, but they won't be too different

- Mav

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/oft/oftw...E6?OpenDocument

Refunds

You are entitled to return goods and ask for a refund, exchange or repair if the goods you purchased:

- Have a fault that you could not have known about at the time of purchase;

- Are not the same as the description provided by the salesperson or advertisement;

- Do not match the sample you were shown at the time of purchase; and/or

- Do not do the job as you were led to believe.

You are not entitled to a refund if you:

- simply change your mind or no longer want the goods;

- realise you can't afford the goods;

- found the same item at a cheaper price elsewhere;

- chose the wrong size)or colour;

- knew about the particular fault prior to purchase; and/or

- were responsible for causing the fault.

Thanks for the responses guys.

UPDATE,

I just looked through the latest JB catalouge and they have the specs listed next to the plasma as 1366x768!!! I have a leg to stand on!

The thing is, I still need a tv. So what can I exchange it for? I am thinking of the 40" LCD LA40M61B, but they will charge me nearly $800 to upgrade to that. (I bought my plasma for $3000 and their list price for the LCD is $3800).

hey all...

ive purchased this TV. I am bummed about the issue of the digital out on the audio... but to be honest, i dont consider it to be that much of a big deal. For one... i believe that for a TV with an inbuilt tuner, its got a very decent picture.. and for two... i wouldnt want to sit there and watch regular free to air tv through my home ent. Admitedly i dont have pay tv, when i do my ideas may change, but im happy with the tv particularly for its price.

BTW... i purchased this tv 4 weeks ago for $2500 delivered :blink: