New Samsung 42" Plasma with integrated HD STB?

Guest liam01

I purchased this TV a few weeks ago. Am very happy with it, bar 3 minor niggles :

1. No audio out for TV set top box. Not a problem for me as I got the TV for DVD's and games. If it ever becomes an issue, worst case scenario I buy another set top box.

2. Could do with more inputs - has one of everything but could do with two of HDMI and AV.

3. The 1366x768 resolution advertised on the Samsung website and JB in fact being 1024x768. I called Samsung about this and they offered a refund so anyone else can do the same presumably. Where this annoys me is I can't figure out how a 1024x768 resoltuion works with a 16:9 ratio screen. I want to use the screen as a PC gaming monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio.

If anyone can give me a bookmark to somewhere that explains the issues surrounding my problem in (3) above, I'd be very, very grateful.

All in all though, love the TV and would reccommend it to anyone so long as they understood its drawbacks.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE 2:

I spoke to the Store Manager at the JB I purchased the plasma from and she was very accomodating after I pointed out the catalogue error to her. Money back is an option should I choose to accept it.

She told me that I she could give me the latest Samsung LCD 40" tv (R71) for $3,400 including extended warranty. Meaning, I would simply have to pay the extra $100 over the $3,300 I initially spent on the plasma. The catch is though, I would have to return my plasma immediately, and I would also have to wait for the R71's to be back in stock. She is saying they are expecting them in September! By that time, the price of them would have gone down even more so it would be stupid to lock in a price now and receive it then right?

So I did some shopping around and I received an enticing offer from Harvey Norman. They had the previous model of the samsung HD plasma (PS42S5H) on the floor. However it was the LAST one and he was offering it to me as a display model. He said it had been on display for around 2 months now. There were no scratches, and no evidence of screen burn when we put a blue screen on. However, I am still aprehensive of buying a display plasma.

His offer was:

Samsung 42" HD plasma PS42S5H (floor stock) + Samsung HD tuner with HDMI out $2,800

Extended warranty to 5 years on plasma $260

Samsung DVD player with progressive scan, HDMI out, and divX compatible $178

Delivery $40

TOTAL $3,238

He then said that he'd round it up to a clean $3,300 (exactly what I would get refunded from JB) and throw in delivery and installation at my home and a Crest HDMI to HDMI cable worth $70.

So for the same price, I am effectively getting much more. The only thing signing up to this is that it's a floor unit.

What are your thoughts people?

Oh and one last thing! I just measured the space that I will be putting the TV, and it's 3.1m wall to wall. Making it approximately 2.1m viewing distance. Is this too close for a 42" HD plasma? 32" LCD just seems so small!

hey all...

ive purchased this TV. I am bummed about the issue of the digital out on the audio... but to be honest, i dont consider it to be that much of a big deal. For one... i believe that for a TV with an inbuilt tuner, its got a very decent picture.. and for two... i wouldnt want to sit there and watch regular free to air tv through my home ent. Admitedly i dont have pay tv, when i do my ideas may change, but im happy with the tv particularly for its price.

BTW... i purchased this tv 4 weeks ago for $2500 delivered :blink:

Where did you get it from for $2500 delievered? Was it from an authorised Samsung dealer and it's not a factory second? And does it come with the standard 2 year warranty, and an option to extend it to 5?

I'd be tempted to return my plasma and get it again at this price!

Hi,

Is the only differnce between the PS42S5H and PS42D7HD the inbuilt tuner in the later?

On the Samsung website the S5H is listed with a RRP of $4499 and D7HD RRP $3949

so is the S5H better?

Also the sound issue, does it affect both tv's? and is there a way around it, like using the DVD player or HD STB for AV out.

I am a bit confused as to what actually happens with the sound, could somone please help with these questions, i have almost decided to buy the S5H, i like the looks and the prices are quite good now, it seems $2500 new or $1700-1800 factory second. I do not really want to risk a second though.

Thanks.

Hi,

Is the only differnce between the PS42S5H and PS42D7HD the inbuilt tuner in the later?

On the Samsung website the S5H is listed with a RRP of $4499 and D7HD RRP $3949

so is the S5H better?

Also the sound issue, does it affect both tv's? and is there a way around it, like using the DVD player or HD STB for AV out.

I am a bit confused as to what actually happens with the sound, could somone please help with these questions, i have almost decided to buy the S5H, i like the looks and the prices are quite good now, it seems $2500 new or $1700-1800 factory second. I do not really want to risk a second though.

Thanks.

Where are you finding these prices for the PD42S5H for? Nearly everywhere I've looked in person is sold out or only has floor stock.

Where are you finding these prices for the PD42S5H for? Nearly everywhere I've looked in person is sold out or only has floor stock.

Hi, Ebay has the factory seconds, i have watched 5 or 6 go for $1700, it says they still have warrant etc.

The New prices, around $2600 i found using Google net search of Australian.

Gecko sales $2619

UPDATE 2:

I spoke to the Store Manager at the JB I purchased the plasma from and she was very accomodating after I pointed out the catalogue error to her. Money back is an option should I choose to accept it.

She told me that I she could give me the latest Samsung LCD 40" tv (R71) for $3,400 including extended warranty. Meaning, I would simply have to pay the extra $100 over the $3,300 I initially spent on the plasma. The catch is though, I would have to return my plasma immediately, and I would also have to wait for the R71's to be back in stock. She is saying they are expecting them in September! By that time, the price of them would have gone down even more so it would be stupid to lock in a price now and receive it then right?

So I did some shopping around and I received an enticing offer from Harvey Norman. They had the previous model of the samsung HD plasma (PS42S5H) on the floor. However it was the LAST one and he was offering it to me as a display model. He said it had been on display for around 2 months now. There were no scratches, and no evidence of screen burn when we put a blue screen on. However, I am still aprehensive of buying a display plasma.

His offer was:

Samsung 42" HD plasma PS42S5H (floor stock) + Samsung HD tuner with HDMI out $2,800

Extended warranty to 5 years on plasma $260

Samsung DVD player with progressive scan, HDMI out, and divX compatible $178

Delivery $40

TOTAL $3,238

He then said that he'd round it up to a clean $3,300 (exactly what I would get refunded from JB) and throw in delivery and installation at my home and a Crest HDMI to HDMI cable worth $70.

So for the same price, I am effectively getting much more. The only thing signing up to this is that it's a floor unit.

What are your thoughts people?

Oh and one last thing! I just measured the space that I will be putting the TV, and it's 3.1m wall to wall. Making it approximately 2.1m viewing distance. Is this too close for a 42" HD plasma? 32" LCD just seems so small!

Where did you get it from for $2500 delievered? Was it from an authorised Samsung dealer and it's not a factory second? And does it come with the standard 2 year warranty, and an option to extend it to 5?

I'd be tempted to return my plasma and get it again at this price!

believe it or not... i just went to MYER on the first night of the big sale and got it for that price. Yes it is brand new and not factory second and yes ive got all the regular warranties.

One question for you though...

Would you rather go backwards a model (which in this day and age seems a little silly due to the fact a new model seems to come out every 6 months or so), have a floor model... deal with more componentry and 2 remotes and the confusion it causes for anyone trying to use the tv.... all for the sake of being able to watch TV through 5.1?

Ive got many mates that do have the option of using home theatre for tv (and indeed they use to in the beginning) but now they will only ever bother putting it all on when they are watching a DVD...

thats my thoughts....

ive been mucking round with the tv for about a week now and im a fan... minus the fact i cant uses PIP in HD mode and even in SD i can only use PIP with whatever the AV input is...

ive had a few scrambling issues on the HD channels also but i believe thats the fault of poor signals and interference from those channels at the time and not a fault of the tv... im yet to investigate this one properly

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals,

been reading this column with interest as I have a just purchased said unit, and I'm pretty happy with it so far, minus its stupid no audio out for dtv.. but it was relatively cheap so I cant expect the world....

I was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction with a few queries I have -

1) Since there is no av out in dtv, the cheapest way to fix this would be to purchase another hd set top box with av out.. but that seems stupid since I already have one inside the tv.. I was shown at JB a product which has hd set top box and hdd recorder which would allow me to record digital tv... would that let me listen to audio out if I used that? I believe it was a dvd recorder with hd set top box and hdd and sold for roughly $750 but I cant for the life of me remember the product name sorry....

Im trying to work out the best/cheapest way in the future so that I can listen to a decent sound when watching dtv... if anybody has a cheaper way of doing it, please let me know! :blink:

2) there seems to be an annoying glitch in the sound, whenever somebody pronounces a "s" it distorts a little... I'm presuming that it has to do with my aerial, because on SD the reception is not good at all... Am I on the right track here?

appreciate any assistance!

Apart from that, I've moved from watching a 34cm tv to a hd plasma.... its ridiculous!

Guest thegordons

Have just put in an order for one of these today and then read the forum.....not impressed at this point!

So before I go and yell at the salesman - there are NO audio outputs on this TV? Or the ones that are there only work when there is a seperate input into it - STB/DVD/PS2?

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks

Guest liam01

The basic thing with this TV is there is no audio out for the inbuilt HD tuner. Presumably it was a factor when you bought the TV that you would save $x00 by not having to buy a separate TV tuner (it was for me). The price of this is there is no audio out on the inbuilt tuner. For some (like me) this is no drama - what little there is worth watching on free to air TV won't really be improved by surround sound. Sound from all other devices I plug direct into the home theatre setup.

The 's' hiss is a reception thing. I too have a crappy aerial and I've found its worse on SBS. To test play a DVD throught the TV speakers.

Overall I love the TV, very happy with it. If I took the same amount of money into a shop today I'd still buy the same one.

Guest thegordons

Yep - I bought it on the strength of the picture quality - but do notice the difference in sound quality between crappy in-built speakers and nice Wharfedale ones.

With a built in HD tuner a consumer would expect all of the normal inclusions of a STB to be provided.

For Samsung not to provide this basic function is treating their customers with contempt. And as said above the "Former Samsung Marketing Manager" has gone particularly quiet....

Even my 20 year old 68cm Masuda has audio outputs!

In the end it's not a deal breaker - but I will be up for a bit more cash to get the set up to do what I want it to do......

Guest liam01

The sound issue is a case of simple mathematics. Say the Samsung costs $3000. Can you get another TV with the other features you want plus a STB (internal or external) with audio out for that price? If so get that one. If not decide whether the extra cost is worth the audio out.

At the end of the day whatever TV you buy or don't buy will require a compromise on something. The decision is subjective and don't let anyone else tell you what is major or minor to you.

Hi peoples,

I just went and put a deposit on this today and was told by the sales guy that it WILL output Stereo Sound to my amp. Is it DEFINETELY NOT POSSIBLE to get even stereo out of this unit? I don't mind having a minumum of stereo running to my amp as it can at least output a pro logic signal but if I have to listen to tv speakers I might just be changing my mind on this unit.

With a built in HD tuner a consumer would expect all of the normal inclusions of a STB to be provided.

For Samsung not to provide this basic function is treating their customers with contempt. And as said above the "Former Samsung Marketing Manager" has gone particularly quiet....

... bit of a joke isn't it, what a stuff up! They did however include an optical sound pre-out on their 32 and 42 inch LCD's... can be had for $3300 if you search and haggle.

JSmith :ph34r:

... bit of a joke isn't it, what a stuff up! They did however include an optical sound pre-out on their 32 and 42 inch LCD's... can be had for $3300 if you search and haggle.

JSmith :ph34r:

Hi Guys !

Currently I own a Samsung ps42d5s SD panel and have been quite happy with it and thought maybe its time to upgrade to something bigger and better with HD . Thoght I would go out and buy a better Panel to complement my new Amp .

Am I glad I read this thread before picking up my new Sammy PS50D7HDX PLASMA . I actually went to Harvey Norman today to purchase the PS50P5H but got upsold to a D7hd instead . Bought the thing and left a big deposit, apparently it is on backorder and was told that They will let me know on monday when I can get it .. I am shocked that a $5999 RRP plasma has no Audio output to complement an amplifier . I have a Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S Amp which I spent big bucks on =- if I cant use it with this plasma I think that deposit will go straight back in my pocket . I will have to look at another alternative . This is really gonna hurt Samsung badly ... I'll be back there tomorrow , I think I will stick to my original plan and purchase the PS50P5H INSTEAD .. and a separate set top box .. after all it is all about HOME CINEMA !! otherwise you can still watch TV on a 34 cm TV too .

I know everybody asks this same question but I would really like the opinions of the folks on this thread ..

Any body have any suggestions as to what panel to go for ? HDMI is a must and 50" price range 4-5K

Thanks to all in advance !!

Does it have to be a Samsung? You can get the Panasonic 50" with 5 year warranty now for between $4000 & $4500. It has two HDMI Inputs.

I found it quite bizarre that the new generation Samsung actually has a lower RRP than the older model on clearance . $5999 compared to $6499on the older model . The specifications are almost identical with the older model having more advantage with extra inputs . Why would any company go backwards ?

Even though I am happy with my current samsung I think my loyalty just ran out

I have done a little bit or reserch and came across this review on the LG which was going to be my next choice ... ,even though it has all the features that I need , it rated extremely poorly . Its very interesting reading actually .

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/index.php/...3;pid;1442;pt;1

I will go and have a look at the panasonic today, can I ask which model Panasonic you were referring to ? and what price would be fair to pay for it =- since it has no integrated HD card . it will require a HD stb and cabling .

Many Thanks

Tony

The 's' hiss is a reception thing. I too have a crappy aerial and I've found its worse on SBS. To test play a DVD throught the TV speakers.

Overall I love the TV, very happy with it. If I took the same amount of money into a shop today I'd still buy the same one.

thanks mate! I thought it was - I have played a dvd through it and its fine that way....

I'm pretty happy with my tv too :blink: I'll just wait till the set top boxes with built in HDD get cheaper before worrying about the sound too much.... its going to be great when I hook up my stereo for the dvds :D

Hello,

Bought a JVC 32SH6 LCD (integrated HD) the other day and then came across this website. Obviously got a bit concerned about the apparent inability to send the digital image to my vcr (no I haven't got a dvdr yet). I went home and had a look a the plug holes (tech terms) and my set does have some "out" holes (audio/video).

I connected the tv to the vcr and lo and behold I was able to view the and record the digital image on to video tape (of course viewing the tape made the image not quite as good of course, but the aspect and reception was perfect).

I'm not the most technical bloke in the world so I'm probably not explaining this correctly, but by using the vcr's AV2 input I was able to record a dvt channel while also watching another dvt channel through the tv's analogue signal. But because it was sending the digital image to the vcr, I was able to watch the second channel in digital (or pretty close to same quality) as well.

I've only played with it like that for a few minutes but that is what it seems like to me.

I've found no reviews or mentions of the JVC models on the net but it seems really good on first impressions. Apart from the channels changing pretty slowly, I have no complaints yet.

I got one PS50D7HDX when it first came into Australia few months ago (late May).

to answer your questions, it as

1 x set of RCA/Composit output (Yellow, Red, White)

1 x HDMI in, with Stereo RCA Audio in next to it.

1 x Component in

1 x S-Video in

1 x D-SUB with mini headphone type socket Stereo in.

Am I glad I read this thread before picking up my new Sammy PS50D7HDX PLASMA . I actually went to Harvey Norman today to purchase the PS50P5H but got upsold to a D7hd instead . Bought the thing and left a big deposit, apparently it is on backorder and was told that They will let me know on monday when I can get it .. .............

FYI : Back order for this unit is Mid ~ 3rd week of Sept.... if you want to wait.....

have a read my previous post here : ETA for Samsung LCDs and Plasma

Hi guys, could anyone who owns the 42" Samsung with integrated STB tell me how easy it is to change inputs. I want a plasma that is straightforward to use for my retired Dad.

He has PayTV (not Foxtel, a mob called UBI) and when changing from PayTV to free-to-air, it needs to be as easy as possible.

As it is, he struggles to remember that he has to switch to channel 3 on the TV to watch PayTV, and then use a *different* remote to change channels on PayTV.

My grandma has the 50" integrated Samsung and I noticed it was tricky to change to DVD. It seemed as though you need to go through a menu screen and select the input that way, rather than pressing ONE button on a remote. On my Hitachi 8800, it's easy peasy - you just select the input (eg, HDMI, AV1, AV2, etc).

Reason I'm looking at the Samsung - integrated STB and good value for money.

Many thanks

Michael

• 2 months later...
Guest c9806103

I own a Ps42d7hd and am seriously p'd off now that I can't get any sound output when in DigitalTV mode.

ARFGH!!!!!!!!!!

Now I've made a commitment that I am either taking on HN or Samsung to get this replaced with the latest version (very recently released as an ultra quick patch model to replace this stuffed up model with no sound output). The HN sales guy told me that the difference between this and the LG with integrated tuner was just down to user preference, plus the LG's stand could be rotated to angle the TV. But no mention of the Samsung's lack of audio output for DTV. They(someone) is going to replace my TV as this is clearly not acceptable. I am going to start my battles on Monday by ringing HN where I bought it from.

SAMSUNG you suck, especially after I've also bought your $2200 super duper fridge (which I love) and your $1000 washing machine. What a let down you filthy cheapskate idiots.

These are all the other peoples' comments I've collected from this thread:

"3. When watching DTV, I can not get any sound to the external amplifier viai AV out. And what looked liked 'Optical out' to the sales assistant is a PC AV out. NO SOUND/VIDEO OUT FOR DTV!!"

"The omission of digital audio outs was a seriously stupid oversight, whoever did that should be shot."

"I was going to add it to my shortlist in my quest for a big screen - until i checked back to this thread and realised the no audio out problem.

HOW CAN SAMSUNG GET AWAY WITH THIS?

If i had bought this screen and gto it home i would be really pissed off. makes you wonder how many of these have been returned.

WTF??? If i had made such a big cock up and let the specification go through for a HOME THEATRE sized plasma without any way of hooking the sound up to a home theatre there is no way i would be posting that i was involved"

"Take it back NOW!

Whats the point in getting a built in DTV with no way to listen to it through your AV receiver? This is such a huge Problem for Samsung I'm not sure why they havent pulled the unit all together or at least reduced the price hugely under the understanding that there is an audio out problem.

The guy who sold it either knew about the problem and chose not to share it, or geniunely didnt know about the issue at all (as was the case with me)

. Either way they should not have a choice in taking the unit back if they did not or could not tell you that the in built tuner would not work with an external amp."

"ive purchased this TV. I am bummed about the issue of the digital out on the audio"

"1. No audio out for TV set top box. Not a problem for me as I got the TV for DVD's and games. If it ever becomes an issue, worst case scenario I buy another set top box."

"Have just put in an order for one of these today and then read the forum.....not impressed at this point!"

"Yep - I bought it on the strength of the picture quality - but do notice the difference in sound quality between crappy in-built speakers and nice Wharfedale ones.

Even my 20 year old 68cm Masuda has audio outputs!"

"Cancel the order !

You are willing to spend $2500 on a panel that doesnt give you what you are after.

Sound isnt just a minor issue its a MAJOR issue."

"... bit of a joke isn't it, what a stuff up! They did however include an optical sound pre-out on their 32 and 42 inch LCD's... can be had for $3300 if you search and haggle."

"Am I glad I read this thread before picking up my new Sammy PS50D7HDX PLASMA . I actually went to Harvey Norman today to purchase the PS50P5H but got upsold to a D7hd instead . Bought the thing and left a big deposit, apparently it is on backorder and was told that They will let me know on monday when I can get it .. I am shocked that a $5999 RRP plasma has no Audio output to complement an amplifier . I have a Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S Amp which I spent big bucks on =- if I cant use it with this plasma I think that deposit will go straight back in my pocket . I will have to look at another alternative . This is really gonna hurt Samsung badly ... I'll be back there tomorrow , I think I will stick to my original plan and purchase the PS50P5H INSTEAD .. and a separate set top box .. after all it is all about HOME CINEMA !! otherwise you can still watch TV on a 34 cm TV too . "

Edited by c9806103