New Samsung 42" Plasma with integrated HD STB?

Believe it or not most if not all of the built in tuners do not have a digital video or audio out.... I'm very frustrated by this also but if my analog audio out from the DTV doesnt work as you have found it will be going straight back to the shop.... whats the point in having a built in tuner if you cant get a signal out to your AV??

Mine hasnt arrived yet but I'll keep you posted once I get mine set up.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not most if not all of the built in tuners do not have a digital video or audio out.... I'm very frustrated by this also but if my analog audio out from the DTV doesnt work as you have found it will be going straight back to the shop.... whats the point in having a built in tuner if you cant get a signal out to your AV??

All the LG one's do.

I have also noticed a buzzing noise in the back of the plasma (42 Inch PS42D7HD), I have looked at the same model in the shop and there is no buzzing.

I have lodged all the issued with Samsung and will post their replies as soon as I get them.

I have also noticed a buzzing noise in the back of the plasma (42 Inch PS42D7HD), I have looked at the same model in the shop and there is no buzzing.

I have lodged all the issued with Samsung and will post their replies as soon as I get them.

Seriously you should've bought the HD tv unit, far better build quality than the Samsung and has digital audio out.

In terms of picture quality there's almost no difference, in terms of looks the Samsung looks cheap and nasty compared to the LG.

Seriously you should've bought the HD tv unit, far better build quality than the Samsung and has digital audio out.

In terms of picture quality there's almost no difference, in terms of looks the Samsung looks cheap and nasty compared to the LG.

The LG was my first option but is only has 1 year warranty and the plastic body on the front face is not straight it’s distorted and you can see it bad because of the gloss finish.

Picture quality I have to say SAMSUNG has it better then the HDTV LG 42” + i prefer the samsung look (its more elegant).

The LG was my first option but is only has 1 year warranty and the plastic body on the front face is not straight it’s distorted and you can see it bad because of the gloss finish.

Picture quality I have to say SAMSUNG has it better then the HDTV LG 42” + i prefer the samsung look (its more elegant).

True about the warranty, 2 years instead of 1. But meh, extend it to 5 years and bobs your uncle.

As for the face, I haven't really heard any complaints about the face, looks fine to me to be honest. Physical appearance I find the LG to be more elegant :blink: and the Samsung too plain jane, funny how opinions differ? :D

Picture quality as I said I really couldn't tell any difference between the two, other things like ease of use and channel changing was equally as good.

The omission of digital audio outs was a seriously stupid oversight, whoever did that should be shot.

The Aussie Samsung 42" Integrateds have an excellent picture. I'd dare day even slightly better than the LG 42PX5D.

Hey HNSDWWAC, you seem to be changing your tune about the PQ...... :blink:

[edit] Then again, you did say almost no difference, so I guess I'll have to take it back....

Hey HNSDWWAC, you seem to be changing your tune about the PQ...... :blink:

[edit] Then again, you did say almost no difference, so I guess I'll have to take it back....

I did say SLIGHTLY better and I mean ever so slightly.

At face value just looking at the two they look pretty much indentical after careful viewing the samsung does look SLIGHTLY better, but most customers i've shown couldn't see the difference.

Look picture wise they are both great panels, it's just up to the other features each has to attract a buyer.

I still stand by belief that the LG is the most polished, refined and still the best integrated plasma to get currently, that may/will change eventually.

Guest technut
Browsing through the Samsung Aus website, in the support section -> download center, found a downloadable manual for a PS42D7HD. 13 mb pdf manual, appears to have HD STB inbuilt, HDMI, only 1 component tho'. Can't find any other info on this model. Anyone heard of it?

Just saw one tonight at radio rentals i think was around the $3699...got no info for you.also they had a samsung all black...hd,1024res,hdmi,2 component..in catalogue for $2997

I'm still waiting on my Samsung (arriving tomorrow) and I'm very concerned about the whole no audio out for DTV :blink: .

I've got my man in Harvey onto it and I will not be buying this panel if I cant use my home theatre sound system to listen to it. I will be back in the store tomorrow and having a close look between the HD Pana and the LG. I've not been impressed with the LGs PQ in stores but Chris knows what hes talking about so I'm willing to give them another look. Its such a shame given the excellent PQ of the Samsung :D

That $2997 panel is last years model i would say (over a year old) and doesnt have the HD tuner built in.

What HD tv unit are you talking about here Chris? presumably the LG... is that the 42PX5D?

That $2997 panel is last years model i would say (over a year old) and doesnt have the HD tuner built in.

The specs of the panels are the same. Does anyone know if the panels are the same gen?

I'm still waiting on my Samsung (arriving tomorrow) and I'm very concerned about the whole no audio out for DTV :blink: .

I've got my man in Harvey onto it and I will not be buying this panel if I cant use my home theatre sound system to listen to it. I will be back in the store tomorrow and having a close look between the HD Pana and the LG. I've not been impressed with the LGs PQ in stores but Chris knows what hes talking about so I'm willing to give them another look. Its such a shame given the excellent PQ of the Samsung :D

What HD tv unit are you talking about here Chris? presumably the LG... is that the 42PX5D?

42PX5D

The 42PX5D when set up correctly gives a great picture, side by side with the Panasonic 500A I remember the Panasonic had noticeably better blacks, but not by a huge leap, so it was a toss up of convenience of the integrated tuner vs picture quality. Otherwise its a great unit, decent sound quality too, nice looks and yes so far reliable.

We've sold probably about 50 or so 42PX4D (the SD panel models) and not a single unit has come back with a fault and we've been selling them for almost a year.

Same with the 42PX5D's, none with any complaints or problems so far and we've sold about half of what we've sold in the PX4D models.

We also happen to have a 42PX4D here and I sold one to my sister and so far all good.

In experience selling LG plasmas there's been no more faults or issues with their product than there has been with other brands, LG seems to cop a bad rap but as I said in my experience it's undeserved.

Well after my man in Harvey Norman confirmed that there is no audio out when watching through DTV, I decided to get the Panasonic 42PV60a. I went for PQ over the built in tuner and apparently all the LG's coming into SA have tuning issues (factory default settings are not correct for SA conditions is what I was told).

I'll get the Pana tomorrow... so i guess I'll be posting in that thread not this one :blink:

Well after my man in Harvey Norman confirmed that there is no audio out when watching through DTV, I decided to get the Panasonic 42PV60a. I went for PQ over the built in tuner and apparently all the LG's coming into SA have tuning issues (factory default settings are not correct for SA conditions is what I was told).

I'll get the Pana tomorrow... so i guess I'll be posting in that thread not this one :blink:

Hi,

Im interested in your opinions on the Samsung plasma tv's, i really like the look of the PS50P5H and the PS42S5H.

How much picture difference would there be considering the 50 is 1366x768 and the 42 is 1024x768?

Also i have read some people have had sound issues with the Samsung plasmas,

i was going to get the HT-P1200T Samsung home threatre to go with the plasma,

would this work well?

As for the TV im not sure on which, the 50 may be too big, but if the picture quality is much better then i would get that one, i can have the 50 plasma for $4700 the 42 is $2695 and the sound system is $1150, so $2k diff for 8in is it worth it?

Hi,

those prices are from a seller on Ebay, the items are in Sydney and can be viewed before pick, as in you can check them out. Seems pretty legitamate as the guy has 380 or so feedback with 100%. Im not reccomending as i have not purchased from him but i def would at those prices.

42 Samaung plasma on ebay

If you look around Ebay there are some pretty good deals, i almost bought that new Denon HTIB for $800 yesterday (RRP$1400).

Basically i just wanted to know if you guys thought those Samsung TV's were ok, i prefer the finish to the newer flat black of the D7HD. And if the 42 with slightly lower res would still be worth buying, i like the 50 just it might be too big for my lounge room.

Thanks for the links jakieblak, I might be using them shortly...

I'm interested in buying this TV and am trying to understand what the actual resolution is for both the 42" and the 50" versions.

I've looked at the details from the Samsung website for both the PS42D7HD and the PS50D7HD and they both say on the Features page that the resolution is 1360 x 768 but when you go to the Specifications (PS42D7HD, PS50D7HD) it says that their resolutions are 1024 x 768.

The manual, which is for both TVs, says that 1360 x 768 is supported but it also says that "The PC text quality for PS-42D7H is optimum in XGA mode (1024 x 768@60Hz)" and "The PC text quality for PS-50D7H is optimum in WXGA mode (1360 x 768@60Hz)".

Does this mean the actual resolution of the 42" screen is 1024 x 768 even though it supports 1360 x 768?

I hope this isn't as confusing as it might sound. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

It's simple, PS42D7HD has a 1024 x 768 panel and the PS-50D7H has a 1360 x 768 panel. The website got me confused as well. I brought the PS42D7HD 2 weeks ago, and I would recommend it except for the no audio out when watching through DTV. If anyone have any question about this tv, feel free to ask me.