New Samsung 42" Plasma with integrated HD STB?

Browsing through the Samsung Aus website, in the support section -> download center, found a downloadable manual for a PS42D7HD. 13 mb pdf manual, appears to have HD STB inbuilt, HDMI, only 1 component tho'. Can't find any other info on this model. Anyone heard of it?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can it be a Set Top Box if it's a card or chip inside the set? :blink:
Good point :P

drsonic, The only caveat I mention with most inbuilt tuner TVs is that you usually can't on send the digital image to say a DVDR or VCR for recording. Such TV (for some unknown reason) usually only have an output of the analogue signal (if any). Might not be an issue but pays to be aware of it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 4 weeks later...

It's a new model that appeared on our Samsung price list on Friday.

The one line description is:

106 cm DVB-T (HD tuner built-in), Plasma TV, HDMI, PIP,1300cd/m2, 10000:1 C/R, DNIe, Filter Bright, Bottom Speakers with SRS® TS-XT

Our direct deposit sell price is $2799 excluding delivery.

It's about time these displays all start coming with a built in digital tuner. How can people be expected to take up digital TV if when buying the so-called latest technology plasma or lcd panels the vast majority need an the additional purchase of an external box to acheive a quality picture ! I've nothing against stb - have a few as they are a requirement for a projector, however a pj is not mainstream like a TV (plasm/lcd). i'm keen to buy a flatscreen but refuse to untill a suitable digital intergrated tuner version is available. The above mentioned point about the lack of digital outs from intergrated models is valid but IMO far less of an issue than the lack of a digital tuner.

Steve

I only have the one line description at this stage.

Google first Austen, ask questions later :blink: !!

Found two (US) models that match, both are 1024*768.

I looked for 42in models with a built-in tuner (figure that the actual plasma doesn't have a tuner built-in, rather a place to slot a tuner "blade") 1300mcd / and SRS-Type sound.

Seems OK if the Aussie version is indeed based on these ............

Austen.

just saw this panel on display at Myer Melbourne.

Pic was a stand out compared to those around it. (to my inexperienced eyes at least).

Listed price is $3499 but I would think that this can easily be brought down :blink:

Inc 2 year warranty and +1 can be bought or +3.

are there any concerns with Samsung panels.

I know there were issues with the SD panel and the infamous blue light. any others generally speaking to do with Samsung.

I must say it is a very good looking panel, predominantly black frame etc.

I was impressed. (but now Im confused)

Strange... The Features page (http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/plasmatv/ps_42d7hd.asp?page=Features) lists the resolution as "High Definition Panel 1366x768 Resolution", but the Specifications page (http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/plasmatv/ps_42d7hd.asp?page=Specifications) says "Resolution 1024 x 768".

I think the Features page specs are wrong. Someone at Samsung probably did a copy and paste from the LCD TV's specs and forgot to change them for the plasma! If it really is 1366 x 768, that would make this TV *very* interesting...

Has anyong checked out the resolution specified in the manual? I've only got a dial-up connection, so the 13MB PDF file would take me forever to download.

- Mav

Samsung have done this in the past. I remember looking in one of their product prochures for the previous range, and it said the resolution for the 42" was 1366 x 768, but it was confirmed to me that they must've copied the spec's from the 50" version, and that they were 1024 x 720/768 (can't remember vertical).

Brazzwald

I saw this panel at Myer Chermside on Saturday, and could walk around it, and noticed there was a distinct lack of component connections at the rear, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Component and a couple more. Didn't check to see if there were any front inputs. Unless there are some more hidden away (I'm sure Chris MJT will correct me on this one...) I think it might deter people from buying.

It was set up in front of the previous HD model, but I could not see too much difference in picture (again, how it is set up in store...)

Actually, Myer in Chermside had a good range of Plasma and LCD on display, so for those on the Northside in Brisbane might pay to check out their range as well (I don't work for them by the way...)

Brazzwald

you're right Brazz.

had a better look at the panel yesterday.

again, very impressed with the PQ, and the look of the display, but noticed it was very short on inputs at the rear.

I also had a chat to the sales guy and he told me that Samsung weren't really the go for Plasma. Apparently put all their money into LCD, which he said were decent, but that the Plasma's not so good.

I think I might be off the bandwagon now :blink:

you're right Brazz.

had a better look at the panel yesterday.

again, very impressed with the PQ, and the look of the display, but noticed it was very short on inputs at the rear.

I also had a chat to the sales guy and he told me that Samsung weren't really the go for Plasma. Apparently put all their money into LCD, which he said were decent, but that the Plasma's not so good.

I think I might be off the bandwagon now :blink:

Samsung definately make better LCD's than Plasmas.

However their IDTV unit is very much equal to the 42PX5D, same price but has 2 years warranty instead of hte one on the LG.

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a 42" Plasma and had more or less settled on the Pana, PV or PA depending on deals. I wandered down to Harvey Norman Marion Road in Adelaide today and being a Monday arvo had the run of the place to myself (not one salesperson came to see "if your alright" either).

They have one of the better Plasma and LCD displays in Adelaide at the moment (beleive me I've been to a few) and the signal each unit was getting was the 9HD loop and it seemed to be a good strong signal to each unit.

I was amazed at how the Samsung panels PQ looked and then i realised I was looking at the SD model :!: When compared side by side to the HD model you need to know what to look at to differentiate between the SD and HD signal. The SD PQ was up there with the Pana when comparing SD to HD of the same model. That said I do know the difference and I'm furture proofing myself as much as I can and for only $500 more you can get the Samsung HD version where you'll need to part with $1000 more for the Pana HD compared to the SD Pana.

I had previously thought I would get the SD viera (outstanding PQ) and use the money left over from not buying the HD to get a 5 year warranty... but after seeing the HD Samsung and realising its got the HD tuner built in, I'm almost positive thats what I'll be getting.

I dont rate the PQ on the LG's at all and all the decent LCD's are still too much extra money over a similar size Plasma screen.

I'll go check out a few other store displays and get a DVD played (anybody know any good film scenes to test out a Plasma??) before deciding. I still like the Pana PQ though but imho the Samsung has got to be better value for money for a PQ thats 9/10 compared to the Pana.

BTW: Whats the diff between the PS42S5H $4499rrp model and the PS42D7HD $3849rrp models???

Speaking as the former marketing manager of samsung (and the person who specified that particular TV with the factory in korea - I can recommend the integrated HD tuner model. A very good TV technically.

Speaking to everyone out there: Please watch out for manufacturers who package integrated HD tuners with SD panels. The Samsung is the real deal, and most of the cheaper brands are not.

Julian (brandscreen)

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a 42" Plasma and had more or less settled on the Pana, PV or PA depending on deals. I wandered down to Harvey Norman Marion Road in Adelaide today and being a Monday arvo had the run of the place to myself (not one salesperson came to see "if your alright" either).

They have one of the better Plasma and LCD displays in Adelaide at the moment (beleive me I've been to a few) and the signal each unit was getting was the 9HD loop and it seemed to be a good strong signal to each unit.

I was amazed at how the Samsung panels PQ looked and then i realised I was looking at the SD model :!: When compared side by side to the HD model you need to know what to look at to differentiate between the SD and HD signal. The SD PQ was up there with the Pana when comparing SD to HD of the same model. That said I do know the difference and I'm furture proofing myself as much as I can and for only $500 more you can get the Samsung HD version where you'll need to part with $1000 more for the Pana HD compared to the SD Pana.

I had previously thought I would get the SD viera (outstanding PQ) and use the money left over from not buying the HD to get a 5 year warranty... but after seeing the HD Samsung and realising its got the HD tuner built in, I'm almost positive thats what I'll be getting.

I dont rate the PQ on the LG's at all and all the decent LCD's are still too much extra money over a similar size Plasma screen.

I'll go check out a few other store displays and get a DVD played (anybody know any good film scenes to test out a Plasma??) before deciding. I still like the Pana PQ though but imho the Samsung has got to be better value for money for a PQ thats 9/10 compared to the Pana.

BTW: Whats the diff between the PS42S5H $4499rrp model and the PS42D7HD $3849rrp models???

A question for you:

If you are going HR panel with integrated HD tuner, why not buy LCD?

With very low refresh rates it's more relaxing to view, and certainly more intense viewing pleasure.

And no reflections!

Speaking as the former marketing manager of samsung (and the person who specified that particular TV with the factory in korea - I can recommend the integrated HD tuner model. A very good TV technically.

Speaking to everyone out there: Please watch out for manufacturers who package integrated HD tuners with SD panels. The Samsung is the real deal, and most of the cheaper brands are not.

Julian (brandscreen)

Julian (brandscreen)

A question for you:

If you are going HR panel with integrated HD tuner, why not buy LCD?

With very low refresh rates it's more relaxing to view, and certainly more intense viewing pleasure.

And no reflections!

If your a person who likes black to look black when watching the TV in the dark then LCD may not be for you.

I agree about the sound outputs, but given I will have my Foxtel and DVD connected through the amp 90% of the time its not an issue as far as I'm concerned. In fact as soon as they are cost effective ($500 or so) I'll be getting a HD stb with built in HDD (as per the LG model just released). This may be 6 months or so and thats fine by me.... my Foxtel IQ is going OK but I'd like one PVR dedicated to free to air transmissions.

I took the plunge and bought it today :P at Harveys for $3500 incl 5 year warranty, delivery and $160 worth of video (crest) leads: component to component (x2) and Scart to Component for the foxtel.

Will post my findings as soon as Its hooked up.

... now to find a nice bit of furniture to put under it :blink:

I purchased a plasma HDTV (42 Inch PS42D7HD) last weekend.

Picture great!

But...

I have noticed the following problems with the sound.

1. When watching DVD and the sound is routed through an SONY external amplifier (via AV out ) I get a delay in sound that sounds like and echo.

2. When watching TV(analogue) and the sound is also routed through the external amplifier (via AV out ) I get a delay in sound that sounds like and echo.

3. When watching DTV, I can not get any sound to the external amplifier viai AV out. And what looked liked 'Optical out' to the sales assistant is a PC AV out. NO SOUND/VIDEO OUT FOR DTV!!

I have tested this amplifier with my SONY TV and there is not delay with DVD or TV.