Sign in to follow this  
Grim

LG 71" SA1D - 180CM LCoS

Ted I would love to see your filter, at 2000 hours it would be 50% clogged (if you have a clean house),

You'd have fits , my friend! Well over 2000 hrs now on this nice day in Sydney. And all the best for 2009 for you and all 71SA1D owners.

Cats abound here. All 5 housebound and 2 forever moulting. Theres bits of fur all around the screen. The only maintenance -

- vacuum the floor irregularly (don't create dust)

- cockroach bomb next the screen - every month or so

- turn off screen main switch 5 mins after standby. (to stop those fans drawing more dust in). Good one Blacky!

- spare lamp near by

When theres no good picture will be calling LG and telling you all here.

Thanx Blackman for giving depth to the experience and being available with your knowledge. But every time I turn the set on and often thru the movie I almost s**t myself waiting for the inevitable?!

Ted

p.s. good to see that Oz charity racer got off in USA a few days back. (curve in road)

You'd have fits , my friend! Well over 2000 hrs now on this nice day in Sydney. And all the best for 2009 for you and all 71SA1D owners.

Cats abound here. All 5 housebound and 2 forever moulting. Theres bits of fur all around the screen. The only maintenance -

- vacuum the floor irregularly (don't create dust)

- cockroach bomb next the screen - every month or so

- turn off screen main switch 5 mins after standby. (to stop those fans drawing more dust in). Good one Blacky!

- spare lamp near by

When theres no good picture will be calling LG and telling you all here.

Thanx Blackman for giving depth to the experience and being available with your knowledge. But every time I turn the set on and often thru the movie I almost s**t myself waiting for the inevitable?!

Ted

p.s. good to see that Oz charity racer got off in USA a few days back. (curve in road)

HaHaHa

When there is no good looking picture, to much green or yellow its time for a new light engine and guess what there just about impossible to get for the original price of $1350 anymore. I sold my second LG with just over 6000 hrs on it with a clean dust filter on it, (cleaned it the day before he picked it up and sprinkled holy water over it as the new owner does not look after things) my other LG has been resting the last few days because of the excessive heat but is due for a filter clean next week as its done 650hrs on it since the last filter clean.

I'd be calling Rhiannon, Lea, Trudi or Andrew as problems start occuring. Law covers you for 8 or 10 years in N.S.W. for a fullly operational set and such should be expected if you paid over 7 grand.

Otherwise I'd do as recommended by Blackman and claim for damages/time etc - $100/hr standard rate? - from LG. Whether the 71sa1d is a rarity or not but it seems to be more headed that way unless maintenance is carried out and thats no proviso in the purchase agreement with LG!

A bug leaving a smear on the insides of your set is not your problem, Blackman. Its a design flaw!

A Bug might have left a smear on the mirror now thats even harder to remove without the correct cloth, Even God won't be able to fix it if No Light engines are no longer available for the lg's.

Time for a Pioneer PDP LX 609 for the kids soon or who knows even me. These LG's require to much maintenance for my liking, the fans are a problem running to much on standby causing excessive wear and dust intake. TED Remove you head out of a Hole mate and Clean the filter before its to late, TRUCK!!! Have you got a mate that's a tradesman and good with his hands, If so pm me your Phone number and I will ring you one night and tell your mate how to clean the damm thing.

Thanx & thanx Blacky. But stiff chance I'll get a repair job or replacement from LG if theres been any tinkering or tampering bar a globe replacement.

The 71SA1D obviously has a short lifespan and can be increased with time, energy and more $ outlay if following your recommendations. And certainly v. costly to match the lifetime of a plasma.

Ted

Thanx & thanx Blacky. But stiff chance I'll get a repair job or replacement from LG if theres been any tinkering or tampering bar a globe replacement.

The 71SA1D obviously has a short lifespan and can be increased with time, energy and more $ outlay if following your recommendations. And certainly v. costly to match the lifetime of a plasma.

Ted

The Tv's require maintenance and that's it. I cleaned my filter yesterday and it was slightly dirty at only 700hrs. remember my mate LG MW60 lives and its done over 27,000 hours but it lives thanks to extra cooling.

The 71said will live if you keep them 200mm+ off a wall, clean the filter and don't use them if you room temp is over 30 Deg C. That's not much to ask for owners of them. and I know LG has a trick up their sleeves

for people that don't use them according to user manual instructions and are pushing this from now on to stop replacements and it has nothing to do with the filter.

Anyhow I said enough on this LG thing and sometime I wonder if anybody that has them has ever listened to me.

Edited by Blackman

The Tv's require maintenance and that's it. I cleaned my filter yesterday and it was slightly dirty at only 700hrs. remember my mate LG MW60 lives and its done over 27,000 hours but it lives thanks to extra cooling.

The 71said will live if you keep them 200mm+ off a wall, clean the filter and don't use them if you room temp is over 30 Deg C. That's not much to ask for owners of them. and I know LG has a trick up their sleeves

for people that don't use them according to user manual instructions and are pushing this from now on to stop replacements and it has nothing to do with the filter.

Anyhow I said enough on this LG thing and sometime I wonder if anybody that has them has ever listened to me.

theres no actual legal requirement for maintenance. If anything they may, just may get you on using the wrong 'model' lamp replacement.

But if you go ahead and maintain beyond what is said in the manual, i.e. cleaning the actual screen. then theres no legal leg one stands on for replacement etc.

theres no actual legal requirement for maintenance. If anything they may, just may get you on using the wrong 'model' lamp replacement.

But if you go ahead and maintain beyond what is said in the manual, i.e. cleaning the actual screen. then theres no legal leg one stands on for replacement etc.

I bet if a tech came out to your house he would find what I've been told that they are looking for so there is NO warranty whatsoever. Sneaky devils buts its in the user manual and I don't blame them and there is not a court in this country that will side with anyone with this matter. No its not the filter.

Well I haven't been here for a while but catching up makes for some interesting reading. I wonder whether I've been exceptionally lucky or what. I have an LG 71SA1D and I live in Cairns (hot and humid) despite this I have never done any maintenance whatsoever (lamp / ducts) and the set has worked absolutely flawlessly since I bought it. The picture is still brilliant. Perhaps not a outright bright as my new LED backlit LCD but it was so bright I had to turn it way down anyway. In fact the LG is set to well below maximum for brightness and contrast and I reckon it's still arguably an easier to watch picture than the latest LCDs. Anyway I now have 8,000 hours on the lamp and the 2nd light on the front has gone orange warning of a looming lamp replacement. I'm hoping here might be some answers to my questions from someone knowledgeable here.(and it seems there's plenty of you)

1. The lamp has 8,000 hours - is it safe to let it go until it actually fails? The picture still seems perfect.

2. I have emailed LG to see if they can supply a new lamp? Are these still available? Is LG the only place to get them?

3. I read lots about these dust ducts but damn if I can find them. I saw a post which linked to some pictures of the location of various parts including the ducts but the links were all dead. Would anyone still have these pictures?? Or (please) be able to post some of where these ducts are? I'm thinking 8,000 hours must have resulted in some dust in there somewhere ;-)

Much appreciated for any help in advance.

Cheers.

Well I haven't been here for a while but catching up makes for some interesting reading. I wonder whether I've been exceptionally lucky or what. I have an LG 71SA1D and I live in Cairns (hot and humid) despite this I have never done any maintenance whatsoever (lamp / ducts) and the set has worked absolutely flawlessly since I bought it. The picture is still brilliant. Perhaps not a outright bright as my new LED backlit LCD but it was so bright I had to turn it way down anyway. In fact the LG is set to well below maximum for brightness and contrast and I reckon it's still arguably an easier to watch picture than the latest LCDs. Anyway I now have 8,000 hours on the lamp and the 2nd light on the front has gone orange warning of a looming lamp replacement. I'm hoping here might be some answers to my questions from someone knowledgeable here.(and it seems there's plenty of you)

1. The lamp has 8,000 hours - is it safe to let it go until it actually fails? The picture still seems perfect.

2. I have emailed LG to see if they can supply a new lamp? Are these still available? Is LG the only place to get them?

3. I read lots about these dust ducts but damn if I can find them. I saw a post which linked to some pictures of the location of various parts including the ducts but the links were all dead. Would anyone still have these pictures?? Or (please) be able to post some of where these ducts are? I'm thinking 8,000 hours must have resulted in some dust in there somewhere ;-)

Much appreciated for any help in advance.

Cheers.

At 8000 hours your lamp will be just about dead, The message on the screen should have came up by now to replace the lamp. My LG QA friend that refuses to work for LG Australia told me some of these units will go over 8000 hours with the lamp but at a very reduced light output.

1/ CHANGE the LAMP now as if it shorts out it takes out the ballast ????? and no ballast in the country.

2/ There is a guy on eBay that gets them lots cheaper forget LG, That's where I got my spare from which I still have today, have forgotten his ebay name just do a search or maybe someone on this site can help

3/ the dust DUCT is the size of a 1/3 of a house brick, If I was in your house I could remove it in the time it take you to go for a piss and thats how easy it is. Two little screws and pull it back towards you and it slides of its rails. when you remove the rear it actually stares at you but you think its a part of the Light Engine which it is but remove two small 4mm screwsand its like a draw it allows you to pull it towards the rear, you remove it clean it and fir it back (Don't drop the little screws) Use a good magnetic screw driver.

Yes I removed the pictures but I will see If I can find one on my puter and post it again 4 U

Tell me, High humidity have you noticed the green or blue or red blob when you first start the tv and it burns away after 20 seconds. This only happens when the humidity is over around 90%.

Here is one pic that explains it all, Remove two small screw and it will bite you its that big. depending how dirty it is either use a vacuum cleaner (Be careful) or wash it with warm water and let it dry.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/V...A1DDustDuct.jpg

Edited by Blackman

Here is one pic that explains it all, Remove two small screw and it will bite you its that big. depending how dirty it is either use a vacuum cleaner (Be careful) or wash it with warm water and let it dry.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/V...A1DDustDuct.jpg

Again remove the two marked small screw and pull it to the rear its on slides. Whiles you are at it clean the two fans you can see the LCos driver card fan (50MM) and lamp fan and give the TV a general clean.

The LAMP side panel can be removed to make it easier to clean by.

1/ remove Lamp Cover door

2/ remove 4 screws front

3/ remove 2 screws rear

4/ remove 1 screw that hides in the hole of the lamp access door.

Yes this large section of the side of the TV comes off and you then can remove the big black plastic lamp duct (3 screws and you can clearly see the third fan (Engine fan) and the ballast in front of it.

Have fun!

When I clean mine I remove the Left and right which is (sub woofer side) panels. including the complete front panel ( where the power on LED is). this way its very easy to access everything.

At 8000 hours your lamp will be just about dead, The message on the screen should have came up by now to replace the lamp. My LG QA friend that refuses to work for LG Australia told me some of these units will go over 8000 hours with the lamp but at a very reduced light output.

1/ CHANGE the LAMP now as if it shorts out it takes out the ballast ????? and no ballast in the country.

2/ There is a guy on eBay that gets them lots cheaper forget LG, That's where I got my spare from which I still have today, have forgotten his ebay name just do a search or maybe someone on this site can help

3/ the dust DUCT is the size of a 1/3 of a house brick, If I was in your house I could remove it in the time it take you to go for a piss and thats how easy it is. Two little screws and pull it back towards you and it slides of its rails. when you remove the rear it actually stares at you but you think its a part of the Light Engine which it is but remove two small 4mm screwsand its like a draw it allows you to pull it towards the rear, you remove it clean it and fir it back (Don't drop the little screws) Use a good magnetic screw driver.

Yes I removed the pictures but I will see If I can find one on my puter and post it again 4 U

Tell me, High humidity have you noticed the green or blue or red blob when you first start the tv and it burns away after 20 seconds. This only happens when the humidity is over around 90%.

Crikey! thanks for the post. It's becoming clearer now... I have to remove the entire outer casing and then all this comes into view. I though the ducts were accessible from the outside without taking the whole cover off.

In respect of the lamp.. again all I can say is maybe I've been lucky. The manual does indicate 8,000 as the point at which the (2nd) light is supposed to come on and warn of impending lamp replacement. Everything seems to be occurring exactly as described in the manual. Notwithstanding your comments my lamp was st 8,011 hours this morning and the picture is as good today as it was the day I got it. There has been no detectable reduction in lamp output whatsoever. Brightness and contrast etc are set well below their maximum (100) values. There has been no message on the screen - just the orange warning light (front centre bottom of TV).

I got a response from LG regarding letting the lamp fail and they said there is no known danger to letting the lamp progress to failure but nevertheless do not recommend it. I've ordered a new lamp for $289 delivered to Cairns from Statewide Appliances. Seems like a fair price I had been under the impression that these lamps were like $700+.

I've not noticed any blobs of any colour ever. The picture remains totally excellent as it has been for 8,000 hours plus. We regularly have over 90% humidity in Cairns but when it's hot (at least 6 months over summer) we basically always have the air conditioning on during the day so maybe this has helped?

Thanks again for the info.... will now have to think about getting the main back casing off the TV and finding all those ducts / fans etc.

Cheers.

When I clean mine I remove the Left and right which is (sub woofer side) panels. including the complete front panel ( where the power on LED is). this way its very easy to access everything.

Err.. just to push my luck a little further... you wouldn't by any chance have a copy of the Service Manual would you? Or know where I could d/l one?

Cheers.

JS

Err.. just to push my luck a little further... you wouldn't by any chance have a copy of the Service Manual would you? Or know where I could d/l one?

Cheers.

JS

The Service manual is a Joke, it has so many mistakes in it that the author of it should be hung! Mind you they cannot even count how many screws to remove the rear cover to get to the Dust Filter.

remember there is only one dust filter. Also once you change the lamp you will notice a big difference in the brightness as you have become use to the tv the way it is now.

As for D/loading it I'm not sure I bought my useless copy that even has a mistake on how to access the service menu.

Edited by Blackman

Hi Blackman,

I have a 71said that is now due for lamp replacement and want to clean the filter as well. I am not sure how to remove the rear panel of the TV to access the filter.

Could you please help by advising which screws need to be removed. A photo and any other advice would be great. Thanks.

Regards,

Les

:o Hope someone can help me with this one,,,,,,,,,,,, My LG LCOS TV now lives in Thailand with me having moved it from Australia. The set has developed a problem since coming here of simply turning off without warning. If you leave it sit for a while without touching anything it will come back on by itself (at varying times). I have tried a new lamp but the same problem continues. Have also cleaned filters etc without any change. I think the fault is temperature related because putting a pedestal fan blowing across the back of the set appears to slow down the rate of turning off, after all it is 30 degrees + here all the time with fairly high humidity. If I have the air con running in the room it also appears to stop the "turning off" which reinforces my heat theory. I have considered fitting an auxilliary fan to the rear of the cabinet using one that you would use in a switchboard i.e. about 6" diameter with a good quality filter. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Hi Blackman,

I have a 71said that is now due for lamp replacement and want to clean the filter as well. I am not sure how to remove the rear panel of the TV to access the filter.

Could you please help by advising which screws need to be removed. A photo and any other advice would be great. Thanks.

Regards,

Les

I clean my filter every 6 months, just before summer and just before winter, My second LG 71said has been sold to a friend now and irs never turned off and the last time I went over there it was now over 12,000 hours on its second globe.

I force him to change the globe no later than 6000, hours for me I change mine at 4000 hours and its a small cost. I know one guy that the globe stuffed up killed the ballast and killed the SMP supply that feeds it.

Please Clean the filter especially living in QLD, I know I have written on this site how to remove and clean the filter its very easy to do but must be done otherwise you will kill the OB.

:o Hope someone can help me with this one,,,,,,,,,,,, My LG LCOS TV now lives in Thailand with me having moved it from Australia. The set has developed a problem since coming here of simply turning off without warning. If you leave it sit for a while without touching anything it will come back on by itself (at varying times). I have tried a new lamp but the same problem continues. Have also cleaned filters etc without any change. I think the fault is temperature related because putting a pedestal fan blowing across the back of the set appears to slow down the rate of turning off, after all it is 30 degrees + here all the time with fairly high humidity. If I have the air con running in the room it also appears to stop the "turning off" which reinforces my heat theory. I have considered fitting an auxilliary fan to the rear of the cabinet using one that you would use in a switchboard i.e. about 6" diameter with a good quality filter. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

DO NOT HAVE THE TV back against the wall FLAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Back of the TV must be at least 6 to 10 inches away from the wall otherwise if the room temp gets to say 28-32 Deg C the O/temp LED will flash and shut the TV down.

I Have a very unique cooling system to cool my LG and so does my mate. Do a search on this site and you will find it.

I found that these LG's love to be put into a corner because if you put it into the corner they run cooler. Please check that the lamp fan is running and check that the OB block fan (engine) is running and this can be done by either removing the front lower cover or removing the side cover where the lamp lives BUT YOU MUST STICK a match to trigger the micro switch otherwise the TV will think the lamp door has been left open. Both fans must be running even on and off on standby the LCOS driver card fan must also be running in this period. By the way I have been told that one of these tv's has had stuffed fans (stopped) but the TV still started and shut down when overheated (a thermister near the lamp and another near the Engine)

:o I think the fault is temperature related because putting a pedestal fan blowing across the back of the set appears to slow down the rate of turning off, after all it is 30 degrees + here all the time with fairly high humidity. If I have the air con running in the room it also appears to stop the "turning off" which reinforces my heat theory. I have considered fitting an auxilliary fan to the rear of the cabinet using one that you would use in a switchboard i.e. about 6" diameter with a good quality filter. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Be careful where you put the other fan as this can kill it. "EG" stick you head outside a car doing 100MPH facing the breeze you will find you can't breath. Don't force air into the area when the lamp exhaust is otherwise you will have a stalemate and the tv will overheat. Tv Fan blowing air this way > <extra fan blowing air this way Equals no air.

DO NOT HAVE THE TV back against the wall FLAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Back of the TV must be at least 6 to 10 inches away from the wall otherwise if the room temp gets to say 28-32 Deg C the O/temp LED will flash and shut the TV down.

I Have a very unique cooling system to cool my LG and so does my mate. Do a search on this site and you will find it.

I found that these LG's love to be put into a corner because if you put it into the corner they run cooler. Please check that the lamp fan is running and check that the OB block fan (engine) is running and this can be done by either removing the front lower cover or removing the side cover where the lamp lives BUT YOU MUST STICK a match to trigger the micro switch otherwise the TV will think the lamp door has been left open. Both fans must be running even on and off on standby the LCOS driver card fan must also be running in this period. By the way I have been told that one of these tv's has had stuffed fans (stopped) but the TV still started and shut down when overheated (a thermister near the lamp and another near the Engine)

The TV is about 10" of the wall as I am familiar with this one. Haven't checked the fans but will check this out on the weekend. Have seen the micro switch hole and will sort this one out. Just watching the TV now and it (for about the fifth time went to bright white flashing screen, just like a pulsing of the LCOS engine on and off giving a white flashing screen similar to a pulsing strobe. this was accompanied by a very electrical sounding buzzing noise ( I am an electrician and it sounded like a short circuit arc). Also I get a relay like clicking noise when I try to restart after the white flashing. I am pretty good at this sort of thing and really want to try and sort this out (need my Aussie news and Rugby on Australia Network, I watch the Aussie rules too, in case you are in Mlbourne!!) Whatever you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Be careful where you put the other fan as this can kill it. "EG" stick you head outside a car doing 100MPH facing the breeze you will find you can't breath. Don't force air into the area when the lamp exhaust is otherwise you will have a stalemate and the tv will overheat. Tv Fan blowing air this way > <extra fan blowing air this way Equals no air.

Understand what you are saying. Any idea what the air flow direction through the tv is??? I will have a look next time I dismantle the back. By the way LG here is as helpful as in Australia........ Totally useless!!!!

The TV is about 10" of the wall as I am familiar with this one. Haven't checked the fans but will check this out on the weekend. Have seen the micro switch hole and will sort this one out. Just watching the TV now and it (for about the fifth time went to bright white flashing screen, just like a pulsing of the LCOS engine on and off giving a white flashing screen similar to a pulsing strobe. this was accompanied by a very electrical sounding buzzing noise ( I am an electrician and it sounded like a short circuit arc). Also I get a relay like clicking noise when I try to restart after the white flashing. I am pretty good at this sort of thing and really want to try and sort this out (need my Aussie news and Rugby on Australia Network, I watch the Aussie rules too, in case you are in Mlbourne!!) Whatever you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Can't find the details on your unique cooling system..... where is it??? ..... Maybe I need to fly you to Thailand to sort out the problem?????

this was accompanied by a very electrical sounding buzzing noise ( I am an electrician and it sounded like a short circuit arc). Also I get a relay like clicking noise when I try to restart after the white flashing.

Sound like the lamp is trying to re fire.

See if you accidentally turn the tv off and 10 seconds later you say turn it back on the tv spits the dummy out, you will hear clicking arcing so on so on so on and two things will happen the TV will fire up in protest or shut down again again.

If we get a power failure and the power comes back on the TV switches itself back on standby to stop this but every now and then it doesn't and it tries to start again which causes the above.

Your Tv is shutting down for a reason and could be trying to fire up again and trust me they don't like this as you have to wait a min, of 1 minute before it restarts but in our case a power failure was only for 2 seconds causing this problem.

Check your fans.

Can't find the details on your unique cooling system..... where is it??? ..... Maybe I need to fly you to Thailand to sort out the problem?????

It should be on one of the Lcos threads or maybe its in the Sony SXRD thread that I have said how I modified a wall with fan and filter with auto start to cool the TV from the AV/ HDMI/Comp/ input side.