Sign in to follow this  
Grim

LG 71" SA1D - 180CM LCoS

feel better now eh?

I got one as replacement for MW60SZ. V. pleased. But how long do these lamps really last for?

Another guy that I have been speaking to has one and he has just gone over 5000 Hrs still on the same lamp. the trick is shut them down correctly, Keep the Dust Duct Filter clean. By the way everyone so far I have spoken to about the Lg sets nobody knows that a Dust filter exists inside these sets, Clean it every 500 hours, depending on the environment of your house if its dusty or not. I cleaned mine just after 350 hrs and it was slightly dirty.

Another guy that I have been speaking to has one and he has just gone over 5000 Hrs still on the same lamp. the trick is shut them down correctly, Keep the Dust Duct Filter clean. By the way everyone so far I have spoken to about the Lg sets nobody knows that a Dust filter exists inside these sets, Clean it every 500 hours, depending on the environment of your house if its dusty or not. I cleaned mine just after 350 hrs and it was slightly dirty.

ok, sounds good information. thanx. But I am a strong believer in what Quenton Crisp says and thats to only dust the place every 4 years. Since I do a bit of burning too thats a good idea as regular dusting only keeps dust in the air.

ok, sounds good information. thanx. But I am a strong believer in what Quenton Crisp says and thats to only dust the place every 4 years. Since I do a bit of burning too thats a good idea as regular dusting only keeps dust in the air.

Depend where you live, some new areas with new housing are extremely dusty, our area you had to clean the TV room every 3 days and if you left it for a week it would be shocking. Most established housing you can leave the dusting for once a week or lately with all this rain in QLD dust just about does not exist. Trust me after 5000 hrs usage it resemble the lint catcher on a cloths dryer now that has to restrict the air flow through the upper and lower engine housing duct via the 90 mm Quad duct fan. Remember I have 3 strategically placed Jay-car digital thermometers placed inside the TV doing so testing and temp recording. Stupid me I should have set this temperature setup before cleaning the filter The tv has two thermocouples inside doing the temp recording for it and its these two that are responsible in warning you first them shutting the tv down if you fail to turn it off before it overheats.

Mind you I won't get into the recirculating filtered cooling fan setup I have for the LG it works brilliant The hottest inside temp recorded on a 30 deg room temp day was 39 Degrees, normally it would be around 50Deg + and Yes I did some test to see that it did not disturb the air flow for the lamp fan which of course is a lot cooler.......I like playing around, this is what happens when you retire and get board!!!

just clean or replace the dust filter?

thanx

Ted

just clean or replace the dust filter?

thanx

Ted

I just vacuumed mine ( Be careful fragile) but it was still slightly dirty so I washed it and let it dry. I have also bought a new one for a spare but I now don't recommend dealing with the big warehouse for LG spares, when you have a problem and its their end they refuse to answer their emails as you cannot ring them at all and I don't like that. All spares can be purchased at WES in Sydney and you can ring them if needed.

Ted

LG's might be cheap and nasty as some might say, but I find these LCoS sets terrific. The LG has three fans, fan 1 draws the heat away from the lamp, fan 2 cools the LCoS driver card and fan 3 quad duct fan circulates the air in the upper and lower duct of the engine housing. The air also circulates past the lens in the big chamber, keeping the lens dust clean and moisture dry during the high humidity days, it then chucks a U turn and gets sucked in to that dust duct that you are cleaning and around again.

If you take off your left and right dust inspection holes and if you had to disturb some dust in there which there should not be any, as the dust passes the lens you will see the dust getting blown away in a hurry and six inches on the left hand side of the lens looking from the front is the dust duct entry port, where you will see the dust getting dragged in in a hurry.

Whatever you do, do not touch the mirror, the mirror might look 100% spotless but when you start the TV and the pictures are going, have a look at the mirror, you possibly could see some marks on it, what I am trying to say is the mirror might be 100% clean when turned off, but only 80% clean when running. I cleaned mine with a microfibre cloth (in the shape of a glove) on a telescopic pole and I was able to wipe the extreme fine dust on the mirror, also the lens and this is how I spotted the circulation and the airflow, there was the slightest bit of dust in one pile about 10 inches away from the lens, once I disturbed it, it drifted past the lens, it got blown out of the way and sucked down the dust duct. The dust I am talking about was so fine it could barely be seen.

Have you kept a check on your cooling fan sequence? You will find on high humidity days, above 80% or temp days below 25 degrees the fans will start and stop in cycles continually until the inside temperature matches reasonably the ambient room temperature, then the fans will cease to operate. You hear stories of other rear projection TV's where the green and blue blob appears only to disappear a few minutes later when the moisture gets burnt off. I wonder if other rear pro's have got this cycling of fans on and off on the bad days?

Ted

Another note!

I have done some digging on these LG LCos Tv's via a friend that use to work for LG QC in Asia, he tells me these one off Lcos sets from LG were the best rear pro ever produced and they canned them IDIOTS!! mainly the T3 ( last model) they were extremely reliables, but he did recommend to me to change the lamp every 4000hrs as the lamp is fairly cheap as sometimes if the lamp dies it can take out the ballast and when the ballast dies it takes out the switch mode power supply.( Ballast $250, SMPS $102) If you look at the left rear of the SMPS you will notice a socket ( large ) with two fat wires in it they go to the ballast ( Test point to check V output if needed).

Also when removing the dust duct, be careful not to knockoff the single black wire that connects to the line input card called LIGHNING,( single push in socket) If you follow that wire it connects to the RF input for Lightning protection. Also after 10,000 hrs he recommends to replace the three fans because the do get some use even when the set is turned off, two are very easy to replace ( LAMP and LCoS drive card fan) the Quad duct engine fan takes more time as you have to remove the chassis to get to it as it lives behind the ballast. All connect electrically side by side to the digital card in that box with all the cards on the RH Side. ( ps to inspect or clean remove lower sub woofer panel 4 screws and you can get at everything!!! I love these LCos sets IDIOTS LG and others why cann the rear pro's !!!

I've actually bought another and I got it cheap, smashed screen plus other damage they couldn't steal it so they stuffed it!! but its Going as good as the original after I spent $1200 fixing it.

Edited by Blackman

Blackman! You are a minefield of information! Or should I say goldmine?!!

Thank you so much. Much to be heeded there.

Last night I spent watching Apocalypto 1080p dts from my Popcorn Hour on my beloved lcos. What a glorious sight to behold!!!

Tonights its A Clockwork Orange in 720p.

Heres a used lcos going for $6000 on Ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/71-180cm-LG-LCOS-HD...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Ted

Last night I spent watching Apocalypto 1080p dts from my Popcorn Hour on my beloved lcos. What a glorious sight to behold!!!

Tonights its A Clockwork Orange in 720p.

Heres a used lcos going for $6000 on Ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/71-180cm-LG-LCOS-HD...1QQcmdZViewItem

Ted

I have now played with three of these TV's and in every case the engines focus was out to buggary and its easy to adjust.

1. You have to remove the long skinny front cover where your power button identification is on the right hand side and on the left hand side you have the input, mute etc, yes that long strip of glossy plastic.

2. Remove 2 phillips screws at either end

3. Its like a typical car dashboard, start on the right hand side underneath with your 8 fingers and two thumbs pull the bottom away from the TV, you will find it will unclick, typical male into female plastic plug. Unclick the whole panel and remove.

4. Do not worry about your LED panel as the panel on this plastic strip is only a dummy (cover)

5. Look for the bottom of the lens.

6. Go find yourself a 5/32nd allen key

7. You will notice the small allen screw which is screwed into the lens mechanism and a slot either side.

8. Loosen the allen key just so the washer spins

9. To adjust just grab the allen screw and push it either way of the slot, it moves very easily, its on bearings.

10. I used blu ray player, sony blu ray movie for its test patterns, I punch in 7669 to bring these patterns up and when the first pattern comes up (colour bars) get the second pattern (black and white, plenty of numbers and letters on it), called resolution pattern, I think. Once this pattern is up press your pause button on your blu ray player which locks the pattern in,

11. Have fun, when you can see on the bottom right hand mid corner Rochester and the phone number which is about the size of this writing on this post on your tv TV from 3 metres away, you have adjusted your focus because trust me in the three which I have done it was impossible to read at 1 metre away. Check all corners of the screen for clarity. Also, check your white screen that it has the same intensity in all four corners otherwise your illumination adjustments are out. (Thats adjusted from two spring loaded screws inside the set). If yours is like the others you will get a shock at the clarity at the finish.

Quality control with LG is a joke.

My second LG 71 in Lcos that I got cheap ($900 smashed screen) with 12,500 hrs on it has been totally pulled to bits and rebuilt and sprayed with black flat paint (inside housing) to stop bracket reflection to the mirror and it is if not better than my new one. Surprising what a bit of time and a few tricks can do to improve a TV to 1000%

Edited by Blackman

How did you go with the filter?

If you do the focus don't over tighten the Allen screw, Also have a good look around while you have that front panel off, check the Quad duct fan to see if its clean, check to see if the thermistor has not come off on the heatsink in front of that fan, if it does you will never know if it overheats (kill the engine)

How did you go with the filter?

If you do the focus don't over tighten the Allen screw, Also have a good look around while you have that front panel off, check the Quad duct fan to see if its clean, check to see if the thermistor has not come off on the heatsink in front of that fan, if it does you will never know if it overheats (kill the engine)

am staying well clear of it all for now thanx!!!!

am staying well clear of it all for now thanx!!!!

How many hours has your set done?

Edited by Blackman

850hrs

My opinion it must be cleaned at a max of 2500 hrs.

My second LCoS I got cheap had 12500 hrs on it and the filter was NEVER cleaned once, I can tell as the silver foil in front was not disturbed, Have you ever cleaned a lint filter in a cloths dryer after forgetting it for 6 months use? yes you can just about knit another jumper what you dig out of it. The 12500 hrs filter what chock a block, I do not know how if any air did ever circulate through this filter which would have caused the Engine to over heat plus not circulate clean air around the lense.

2500 soundz like a good time, cats and all. But the way you describe sounds llike a scary business and I don't care to bring on an early death to the monster.

Edited by Ted

2500 soundz like a good time, cats and all. But the way you describe sounds llike a scary business and I don't care to bring on an early death to the monster.

Yeh I bit of a maintenance man I am the same with everything around the house even my cars, I change the oil every 6 months even if they have only done 10 miles. My wife is the exact opposite the vacuum cleaner is 150% full and she still has not cleaned it. Some time I just pull my hair out. Anyhow help is always here as long as I am above the ground, ( The fruits of getting old and sick!)

thanx Blackman. Stay in touch.

I've stored a copy of your article for that day...

Photo's for Ted.

http://www.geocities.com/auscitycars/LGEnginefan.jpg

Pics shows engine fan, NB note the thermister on the RHS of the fan ( black thingy with wire). Ballast on RHS two red wires fead the lamp the red and blue come from the SM power supply. Do you like the big brass nuts they adjust the tilt you have a pair on each corner (total 8 nuts) + me.

http://www.geocities.com/auscitycars/LGdustduct.jpg

Dust duct marked with red X, small fan is the LCoS driver card fan all Electronic boards live in the box on the RHSide ( Away and cool) except for the LCoS driver card, SMPsupply and the Line input card.

http://www.geocities.com/auscitycars/LGdustduct1.jpg

Dust Duct.

http://www.geocities.com/auscitycars/LGfocusadjust.jpg

looking through one of the four front holes with the front lower panel removed to adjust the focus. Look up the top black rear of the lense you will see a shiny allen head screw with a big washer all you do is loosen it .grab the head of the allen screw and slide it front or back it its slot. It moves very easy. Tighten again when focus is spot on. I used Sony Blu-ray movie hidden test pattern to adjust Like I said before I have done 3 of these tv now and in all cases the 3 were out and one was big time out, WHY? got me stuffed maybe it just poor LG Quality control.

http://www.geocities.com/auscitycars/LGfrontoff.jpg

The front off to check Engine fan,ballast.Adjust focus and what ever. 4 screws and its out. Also look at the three LCD temperture monitors Yes LHD is the engine, middle is the room, RHS is the lamp exhaust

I have put plenty of red "X" on the pics mainly because of someone before stealing my pics and using them to make $$$$ selling spares

Edited by Blackman

looking good!

BUT, whats to do with a cockroach walking inside the screen! Yes, there is is while watching The Day AFter Tomorrow this afternoon.

looking good!

BUT, whats to do with a cockroach walking inside the screen! Yes, there is is while watching The Day AFter Tomorrow this afternoon.

cockroach?????

Yankie one (small) or a Aussie one LARGE!

If you have a cocky inside the housing it must be a small one as I would not know how a large one would ever get in there as the mirror screen assembly is very well sealed.

But if you have a cocky in there I would be worried if it gets sucked inside the dust duct, Have a look at the pics that shows the rear of the TV with the dust duct you will see it pressed upwards towards the mirror/ screen housing. Or I might be worried if the Cocky would enter the dust duct and eat the fine material of the filter.

As for removing a dead body inside the housing I once dropped a section of my mirror cleaning tool and I scratched my head how to remove it. So argggggh I went to Repco and bought one of those thingy things with multiple fingers ( Long about 900mm) that mechanics use to grab a nut that has fallen inside a engine and it worked perfect.

I removed the inspection hold on the side of the tv housing and entered the grabber tool which is operated from the outside with your thingers and it grabs it with its four fingers 900mm away.

Spray some surface around the TV to stop the cockies but I would be more concerned if they have found a place to live inside the electronics section as they will crap and destroy the circuits boards.

Remember do not TOUCH THE MIRROR!!!!!!!!!!! as only a micro fiber cloth will clean it, and if you attempt to use another rag or paper it will only get worst.

cockroach?????

Yankie one (small) or a Aussie one LARGE!

yankie. ah yeh. spraying post haste with the indoor reppellent now avail with hose.

yankie. ah yeh. spraying post haste with the indoor reppellent now avail with hose.

Ted if you use a external amplifier for the aerial switch of the LG internal aerial booster ( all inputs can be set different, on or off) otherwise the TV will play up ( errors, slow channel changing, etc)

Do you have the ACE function turned on? if not switch it on. :D

yeh, The ACE is on.

How many of these sets do you reckon were manufactured? No doubt all sold in Oz.

According from a mate of mine off shore he use to be a QC man for LG but left after complaining about the QC was going down the drain 6 years ago, he inquired for me that Australia was the dumping ground for these LG LCos sets after Spatialight could not supply the quantity of light engines required by LG and others.

He did say that the Light engines were very reliable better than any other LG Product and better than what other manufactures uses for there sets of the same or similar technology. The biggest problem was Spatialight could not deliver these T3 engines + the publics reactions on rear Pro. We all know the world wants those things that hang off the wall thus the demise of the best thing that LG ever produced.

Australia had two models of the LG 71SA!D one after the other but mainly got th T3 and the T3 was the last and best of them all.

The T1 has a slightly different front look and had a funny res of around 1280x960 I have posted twice on the AVS forum as the yanks said they were going to get them before us but I cannot find one

in the US considering I have posted twice asking them has anyone got one and I have had no replies but as you read below the yanks had there version cancelled..

All up Australia got around 243 of the T3 model and thats about it.

LG you Idiots!!

If they had them today a 71 inch Monster a slight hardware change + firmware upgrade to fix the 1080i to P and worked on the slight blacks problem they would be a ripper and if they sold them for under $4000 they must sell them and if not the tv hunting population must be nuts to buy a power guzzling hungry plasma or LCD around the same size for 5 to 10 times the price.

this was a typical post.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336237