LG 71" SA1D - 180CM LCoS

Sound like the lamp is trying to re fire.

See if you accidentally turn the tv off and 10 seconds later you say turn it back on the tv spits the dummy out, you will hear clicking arcing so on so on so on and two things will happen the TV will fire up in protest or shut down again again.

If we get a power failure and the power comes back on the TV switches itself back on standby to stop this but every now and then it doesn't and it tries to start again which causes the above.

Your Tv is shutting down for a reason and could be trying to fire up again and trust me they don't like this as you have to wait a min, of 1 minute before it restarts but in our case a power failure was only for 2 seconds causing this problem.

Check your fans.

This could be the problem for the white out as we have very dodgy power here. I have considered using a UPS between the mains power and the TV as a 750VA unit is only about $125. I think I will go ahead and do this. The problem is definately temperature as I have the air con on tonight and no problems. This is the case whenever the air is on. Haven't checked the fans yet so I don't know if they are both working but will try and do this before doing anything else. Thanks for your ongoing help with this, maybee I need to fly you over here to fix it!!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be the problem for the white out as we have very dodgy power here. I have considered using a UPS between the mains power and the TV as a 750VA unit is only about $125. I think I will go ahead and do this. The problem is definately temperature as I have the air con on tonight and no problems. This is the case whenever the air is on. Haven't checked the fans yet so I don't know if they are both working but will try and do this before doing anything else. Thanks for your ongoing help with this, maybee I need to fly you over here to fix it!!

I'm retired and don't fly anywhere anymore :rolleyes: Just check your three fans, and check the one and only filter because if this is dirty this will cause big over heating problems.

• 5 months later...
I'm retired and don't fly anywhere anymore :rolleyes: Just check your three fans, and check the one and only filter because if this is dirty this will cause big over heating problems.

I have just changed the lamp in my TV. Ordered a replacement from Australia via E-Bay. Arrived with no problems in a correctly marked box etc. Installed the new lamp and the picture brightness was significantly less than with the old lamp (old one has 7,500 hours use). The new lamp appears to be "new" and shows no signs of being used (checked plug pins for score marks etc). I let the lamp "burn in" for abpout 4 hours with no change in brightness, from what I could see. This morning the TV was on for a while in daylight and the picture was very dim in the daylight. I then swapped the new lamp for the old one and the picture brightness was significantly higher, even the 5 year old watching commented on the difference. The lamps are both Phillips brand with exactly the same markings for wattage etc and are basically identical to look at. The only difference I can see is that the old lamp was made in China and the new lamp was made in Belgium. Has anyone come across the same thing or have any answers ???? <_<

I have just changed the lamp in my TV. Ordered a replacement from Australia via E-Bay. Arrived with no problems in a correctly marked box etc. Installed the new lamp and the picture brightness was significantly less than with the old lamp (old one has 7,500 hours use). The new lamp appears to be "new" and shows no signs of being used (checked plug pins for score marks etc). I let the lamp "burn in" for abpout 4 hours with no change in brightness, from what I could see. This morning the TV was on for a while in daylight and the picture was very dim in the daylight. I then swapped the new lamp for the old one and the picture brightness was significantly higher, even the 5 year old watching commented on the difference. The lamps are both Phillips brand with exactly the same markings for wattage etc and are basically identical to look at. The only difference I can see is that the old lamp was made in China and the new lamp was made in Belgium. Has anyone come across the same thing or have any answers ???? <_<

Forgot to add that I appear to have cured my "turning off" problem which I was sure came from overheating. I have installed a second 240 volt exhaust fan on the lamp exhaust outlet to replace the grille that was there. For thius I have used a 5" computer fan. I have then cut a hole in the rear cover right next to the input connection panel and installed a 6" computer fan with a filter grille (same foam type filter as LG use ). This blows cool air into the chassis area. All of this appears top have fixed the problem. Even on 35 degree days we don't appear to have any problems however to be safe I still have a small pedestal fan off to one side that blows cooler air into the area behind the TV (TV is about 300mm off the wall).

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to use the search button but wont work?

My lcos has just come up with the light red, I think bulb light I have not had the message on the screen.

I cant find my manual but can you get the hours on screen some how ?

thanks

cameron

• 3 weeks later...

OK I just bought myself a 2nd one of these on the cheap with "issues". Namely it turns off after 10 mins - longer in cool weather and the image is very blue and yellow tinged.

Now the 2nd issue will be bulb I'm guessing and I have a new one ready to go so that should be OK.

Turn off problem would be cooling ducts all clogged? Or could it also be capacitor issues? Has anyone had one apart and can direct me to where I would go hunting first if cleaning out all the fans and ducts doesn't work?

Thanks

LT.

• 1 month later...
Forgot to add that I appear to have cured my "turning off" problem which I was sure came from overheating. I have installed a second 240 volt exhaust fan on the lamp exhaust outlet to replace the grille that was there. For thius I have used a 5" computer fan. I have then cut a hole in the rear cover right next to the input connection panel and installed a 6" computer fan with a filter grille (same foam type filter as LG use ). This blows cool air into the chassis area. All of this appears top have fixed the problem. Even on 35 degree days we don't appear to have any problems however to be safe I still have a small pedestal fan off to one side that blows cooler air into the area behind the TV (TV is about 300mm off the wall).

I have a LG Lcos 71SA1D TV bought 4 years ago. It has worked marvellously and given us a lot of enjoyment. Today, we tried to turn it on, the picture appears for about 10 seconds and the TV turn off by itself. The light flashing red on the second from the top. We tried several times turning it on and same thing happened. We checked the filter and it is quite clean. I rang the LG helpdesk, they asked if the light in front is orange when it turned off by itself, I said no it was green turning on and then flashes red when it turned off by itself. She said in this case, it would not have been the lamp/globe. It must be something else.

Can anyone help? it is the long weekend and we would like to have it fixed if it is something simple. Also in case it is the lamp, can someone recommend where we can get an inexpensive source?

I don't think I have the same problem with PThai regarding his overheating problem. TV is not overheated

• 2 weeks later...

I have a LG Lcos 71SA1D TV bought 4 years ago. It has worked marvellously and given us a lot of enjoyment. Today, we tried to turn it on, the picture appears for about 10 seconds and the TV turn off by itself. The light flashing red on the second from the top. We tried several times turning it on and same thing happened. We checked the filter and it is quite clean. I rang the LG helpdesk, they asked if the light in front is orange when it turned off by itself, I said no it was green turning on and then flashes red when it turned off by itself. She said in this case, it would not have been the lamp/globe. It must be something else.

Can anyone help? it is the long weekend and we would like to have it fixed if it is something simple. Also in case it is the lamp, can someone recommend where we can get an inexpensive source?

I don't think I have the same problem with PThai regarding his overheating problem. TV is not overheated

Hi Pitu8,

Mine also had a turning off problem which I tracked down to being a poorly positioned or stressed decoder board. I removed the rear cover panel and by putting pressure on the DVI plug I could stop it turning off. I ended up fixing it by putting some rubber gromits behind where it screws into the main chassis. This fixed that issue.

However I've since pulled the whole thing to bits looking for the colour problem. It appears the colour filter (LCOS) unit might have a burnt out filter. Now that I have that unit out I'm going to try and find somewhere to either replace or repair it - don't like my chances but I might as well try before dumping the thing :)

Cheers

LT.

• 3 months later...
Guest ARTHUR05
See the yellow is your problem and that not good as there has been a few complaint about this and unfortunately in most cases its a engine problem that craws in around 4000 hrs.

As for a little to much red or green or blue that is easy to adjust out as all you do is go to the W_Balance and adjust your RGB offsets there

Try the White Balance and reduce the offset GREEN .This has corrected the "yellow" problem for me...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Blackman,

Unfortunately, my PM function on this forum isn't working and I'm not sure whether or not you still check this thread, but I'm hoping so since you seem to be the most knowledgable on this particular tv set! I was wanting to get a few more tips on maintainence and calibration. If possible could you shoot me a email offline at saferisk@gmail.com

I'm located in Melbourne if there is anyone you could recommend to help me over this side?

• 1 month later...