Sign in to follow this  
tomlc

SelectTV - as per my Foxtel Complaints ***********

Just an update on my XSAT 430.....

Sometimes (but thankfully not often) when changing channels it locks up. The screen goes to black and the display reads "T430". The only option seems to be a power reset, and then press and hold "Format" on the remote so that it reboots and toggles to the rear card slot. The clock that's displayed when in standby then goes back to "00:00", and there doesn't seem to be any way of setting it via the menus. (If I'm up at midnight, and the standby clock is wrong, I power reset it then.)

My gut feeling is that it's a firmware issue rather than a fault with my particular unit, but until I come across someone using the same box for the same thing, I won't really know.

There may be updated firmware available for all I know, but I can't read Chinese. :blink:

Sounds like the Box is crashing like when a computer does and needs a reset a firmware upgrade might fix it ?

Maybe ask the shop were you got it from about this problem your having they may have a solution to fix this ...

Maybe ask the shop were you got it from about this problem your having they may have a solution to fix this ...

I bought it (new) on eBay (where it's always "buyer beware", of course), but there's probably no harm in asking them.

You're part way there, then. If I can install something from scratch then re-pointing an existing dish should be a piece of cake. What about your receiver, though? Can you put an Irdeto smartcard in it, or is it tied to Austar? (Or maybe it was theirs and it went back. I've never had Pay TV before, as you can probably tell.)

They took the receiver back when we cancelled unfortunately, so we'll have to get one of these as well

They took the receiver back when we cancelled unfortunately, so we'll have to get one of these as well

If you're happy enough with composite video then there's quite a few to choose from. But if you want S-Video, as I did, there doesn't seem to be many around. I bought an XSAT 430 on eBay. Price was good, but I can't honestly say that I'm 100% happy with it. Maybe it's just my particular unit, but my gut feeling is that it's just the nature of the box, and another one would do the same thing. If I was going to buy again, I'd look closely at a Manhattan ST120, or maybe even the model that can take a hard drive. But even the ST120 costs over $100 more than what I paid for the XSAT 430.

Also works with Topfield 3200IR, soon I'll be trying a Homecast/Emtech EM150IR.

btw specs for STGOLD ST4000IR show RGB O/P on TV SCART but haven't tried it yet.

btw specs for STGOLD ST4000IR show RGB O/P on TV SCART but haven't tried it yet.

I've seen a few boxes that mention "RGB" in their specs, but RGB isn't much good to me as is. When you have a play with it, see if there's any mention of "YUV". It's too late for me now, but it'd be handy to know for others.

In the menu on my XSAT 430 I can toggle between "RGB" and "YUV", but it doesn't actually have a physical output for it. There seems to be several different versions of it; some have SCART connections, and I guess this is where the RGB/YUV setting would come into play.

but I can't honestly say that I'm 100% happy with it.

Hi Colin, can you elaborate please?

Hi Colin, can you elaborate please?

Mostly as per my comments in post #48.

Another gripe is that the "Format" button doesn't change the aspect ratio at all, as the manual says it should. Even changing the format via the menu doesn't allow me to do one of the things that I can do with my SD STB's, which is to use "Panscan" to enlarge 4:3 material slightly so that it fills a 4:3 screen. ie; I'm stuck with a "postage stamp" format on widescreen channels when it's a 4:3 source.

Mostly as per my comments in post #48.

Another gripe is that the "Format" button doesn't change the aspect ratio at all, as the manual says it should. Even changing the format via the menu doesn't allow me to do one of the things that I can do with my SD STB's, which is to use "Panscan" to enlarge 4:3 material slightly so that it fills a 4:3 screen. ie; I'm stuck with a "postage stamp" format on widescreen channels when it's a 4:3 source.

Thanks Colin.

Can anyone recommend a good quality DVB-S Box with integrated irdeto1/2 that also has S-Video Out? One option I have found is a Manhattan 120 for about $250 - does anyone have any experience with these?

Manhattan 120 for about $250

That's the next cheapest that I could find after the XSAT 430. They seem to have a good name, and I gather that the Irdeto is actually licensed.

You might get a better response to your question on the Vetrun forum, or even amongst the rabble on austech.info (I didn't last long there, but that's another story.)

... and AMC23 for Russia Today - this FTA service is worth the addition.

Off original topic, but the word on Vetrun is that RT on AMC23 is no longer.

OK, back on topic....

Wine TV seems to be up and running now, and they've rehashed their website.

EDIT:

So far on Wine TV I've seen a cooking show in German with English voiceover, something else entirely in French, and an ad that looks as though it's come straight off a UK channel (UK 'phone number, UK website, and prices in UK pounds).

This could be interesting in a bizarre sort of way. :blink:

OK, back on topic....

Wine TV seems to be up and running now, and they've rehashed their website.

EDIT:

So far on Wine TV I've seen a cooking show in German with English voiceover, something else entirely in French, and an ad that looks as though it's come straight off a UK channel (UK 'phone number, UK website, and prices in UK pounds).

This could be interesting in a bizarre sort of way. :blink:

Yep! I'll drink to that, cheers:-)

Im very curious to see the make-up of their "extra's" packages and I think I'll wait till they release them before taking the plunge.

Btw, Optus's new packages are quite well structured and better value than Foxtel$ imo.