Sign in to follow this  
tomlc

SelectTV - as per my Foxtel Complaints ***********

why can't yu get other channels from PAS8?

They're either...

a) On C band, or

B) Beamed elsewhere, or

c) Encrypted

Even if you set yourself for up C band, you still have B) and c) to deal with.

IMO, most of what is FTA (free to air - that's what the "F" means in the "Video Encryption" column), receiveable in Australia, and even remotely worth watching is on C band. Even then, there's nothing that I'd be able to watch that makes me want to rush out and buy a C band setup (not that my wife would let me, anyway). FTA Ku is worse. But I stress, this is just my opinion. If you're into shopping channels, religious television, ethnic programming or just like to chase signals for the sake of doing so, then don't let me stop you.

Maybe they'll take pity on me. :P

They did! I just received a 'phone call to say that they'll credit me with the difference. I like them already. :blink:

Matt -

As highlighted, the Select UEC 990 will do other FTA services on K band and C band on that Sat. In my personal view, I'd not use a UEC except as a second box. Rather, I'd go and buy something else, say with Compnent or S-Video, or Cinch out - with Optical Out.

A Topfield PVR, Extreme, Strong etc and so on.

Colin - I purchased for $31, a 100 metre roll of quad shield. One never buys from general retail, rather from Sat shops direct, saves $$.

I do suggest using a 3-way LNB holder, for say B1, Pas 8, and AMC23 for Russia Today - this FTA service is worth the addition.

Or a Motek (rotator), so one can view most Sats, me however, I like a 'fixed' system with virtually instant channel changing sat to sat. A really suitable dish is called Torroidal, a "T90". Melbourne Satellites have them $220 plus LNB's and post.

Colin - I purchased for $31, a 100 metre roll of quad shield. One never buys from general retail, rather from Sat shops direct, saves $$.

At this stage I only need about 15m, and Bunnings sell RG6U quad shielded for 96¢/m. The nearest "sat shop" to me wants $2/m.

I do suggest using a 3-way LNB holder, for say B1, Pas 8, and AMC23 for Russia Today - this FTA service is worth the addition.

Maybe once I've got it all up and running, and I have some time to myself without the family around, I'll have a bit of a play to see what I think of the other programming, and take it from there.

This'll make you laugh (or cry, maybe)......

Last week, at a time when my wife knew that I'd bought a dish but hadn't collected it yet, we drove past a mesh dish that was 3m, maybe. Her comment was, "You're not buying one of THOSE, are you?". Guess that rules out C-band for me anytime soon. :P

She's lucky that I'm not still into amateur radio. Years ago (1986), when I lived in Coonabarabran, I bought

nearly $3000 worth of antennas, tower, rotator, etc. Sadly, most of it has never been used. Shortly after I bought it I moved, and haven't been anywhere since where I can use it all. I really should round it all up and flog it off on eBay...... then waste the proceeds on satellite stuff. :blink:

Most of these are on C-band and require a Dish sized of about 2.3 metre or larger to recieve channels off it and most that you listed below are encrypted also

PAS 8 at 166.0°E

MTV Mandarin

MTV China

Nickelodeon New Zealand

Nickelodeon Japan

(MTV feeds)

VH1 Thailand

MTV Philippines

MTV Southeast Asia

Discovery Networks Asia

Discovery Channel Taiwan

Discovery Channel Australia

Animal Planet Japan

CNN International Asia Pacific

CCTV's

ESPN's

Disney

SELECTV

HMV Tv

http://www.lyngsat.com/pas8.html

can you get those? Oh and I know about the card you need that's $29.95 every month!

Colin - about your STB note this thread:

http://www.vetrun.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3352

If you get it to work please advise.

The XSAT 430 arrived yesterday, and I was able to activate the smartcard and see all the channels. I have a few things to iron out though. The SF-95 satellite finder (which also arrived yesterday) doesn't bl**dy work, so I had to drag a TV to where I could see it from up the ladder, and do it the hard way. And the signal that I'm getting from the two secondary transponders is sometimes borderline, or below. I was hoping to use the satfinder to peak it, but I'll have to move a TV back later and do it that way again. I also made the mistake of buying screw-on F59 connectors, as I don't have a suitable crimping tool. But I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy one, then change them over. I should've known better than to treat 2GHz with contempt.

Colin, you might be lucky by just adjusting the skew of the LNB by turning it around slowly (try turning it both left and right).

No, I've already played with the skew, and it was pretty damn close to what was calculated. There's a little bit of focal length adjustment, but it makes no difference (it's only a few mm).

But in re-arrangeing everything to make room for the sat STB, I heard a rattle inside it..... the PCB-side shield had come off the tuner module! I've since put it back on, but I haven't finished reconnecting everything yet.

In a round about way, yes. Check out Renura's thread with his magic all seeing 4 tuner DVB card. It has comments about this. See a similar thread at forums.dvbowners.com as well.

Is it just my setup (XSAT 430), or are the audio and video on SelecTV's movie channels often out of sync? Also, the audio levels across the channels seems not to have been normalised (eg; A1 and a couple of others are LOUD w.r.t. the rest), but at least I can turn them down.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with what I'm getting for the price. About 75% of the channels appeal to at least one person in our household. The rest are an acquired taste at best.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with what I'm getting for the price. About 75% of the channels appeal to at least one person in our household. The rest are an acquired taste at best.

That's good to hear Colin - we're seriously considering getting Select. We have an Austar dish going to waste at the moment, but I'm buggered if I'm going to pay their rates again.

That's good to hear Colin - we're seriously considering getting Select. We have an Austar dish going to waste at the moment, but I'm buggered if I'm going to pay their rates again.

You're part way there, then. If I can install something from scratch then re-pointing an existing dish should be a piece of cake. What about your receiver, though? Can you put an Irdeto smartcard in it, or is it tied to Austar? (Or maybe it was theirs and it went back. I've never had Pay TV before, as you can probably tell.)

DW-TV went encrypted today, but I'm not about to pay an extra $20 for the German package just to get it back. Nor can I justify a C-band install. Guess I'll make do with what's on SBS.

Just an update on my XSAT 430.....

Sometimes (but thankfully not often) when changing channels it locks up. The screen goes to black and the display reads "T430". The only option seems to be a power reset, and then press and hold "Format" on the remote so that it reboots and toggles to the rear card slot. The clock that's displayed when in standby then goes back to "00:00", and there doesn't seem to be any way of setting it via the menus. (If I'm up at midnight, and the standby clock is wrong, I power reset it then.)

My gut feeling is that it's a firmware issue rather than a fault with my particular unit, but until I come across someone using the same box for the same thing, I won't really know.

There may be updated firmware available for all I know, but I can't read Chinese. :blink: