Sign in to follow this  
tomlc

SelectTV - as per my Foxtel Complaints ***********

Do you have one?

No, I haven't bought a box yet - still looking at options. Is the only other box that Selectv endorses (the Opentel 4000) any good? Another budget box I've come across is the Wavelength DSR807, which looks to me as though it might work with Selectv also - any ideas or opinions on that one?

Looks like I've managed to score a 65cm dish and LNB for nothing at least. :blink:

I think SelecTV is a great option. I have a sat box and dish which is otherwise unused. $50+ for Foxtel is unjustified IMHO, but $30 is a price point I can consider.

The best part of the SelectTV package is the ability to use your own equipment, including TV cards for those that use a HTPC and of course with all benefits (recording, timeshifting, etc) that come with it :blink:

No, I haven't bought a box yet - still looking at options.

I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a new XSAT 430, then signed up for a "card only" from SelecTV.

FWIW, their equipment wizard seems to think that postcode 2905 is rural, not that I was looking to get anything more than just the card from them.

I'm gonna wrestle with my dish, try to find out the correct rotation for the LNB and get the stupid thing to point at PAS8 and actually lock onto the signal, before I order my card, otherwise I'm doomed to be paying for something I haven't a hope in hell of receiving.

OTOH maybe I should cough up the $100 and get some dude to come and do it for me.

Any volunteers?

I'm gonna wrestle with my dish, try to find out the correct rotation for the LNB and get the stupid thing to point at PAS8 and actually lock onto the signal, before I order my card, otherwise I'm doomed to be paying for something I haven't a hope in hell of receiving.

OTOH maybe I should cough up the $100 and get some dude to come and do it for me.

Any volunteers?

IF you can see "Optus C1" carrying Foxtel/Austar/Optus/Aurora, then you will see "Pas 8", dish looks 'slightly right' of C1, move it SLOWLY. You can then adjust 'tilt'- the up and down movement for improved signal and quality. Once locked, you can then adjust the LNB for strongest quality reading.

Create a new satellite called "Pas 8 (K)" in your decoder set up menu, then enter from Lyngsat below the first Select TV frequency, polarisation and symbol rate. On some decoders the FEC or 'forward error correction' must be entered. Once done, move the dish and search for a signal and QUALITY.

http://www.lyngsat.com/pas8.html

Once done and loaded, DO A NETWORK SEARCH>>> CAS & FTA. (CAS=Encrypted services)

You then might like to look at that lyngsat list to add other free to air services, check and enter the frequency details etc and then NETWORK SEARCH>> "FTA" for these.

IF you get really good, you could add a 3-way LNB holder to the dish and align this for reception of AMC 23 for the service RUSSIA TODAY, its actually quite good and in full time English. You'd need to create another satellite called AMC23 (K) and enter the frequency detail.

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc23.html

WHEN any new channels are added, you need to network search again. Those you've saved to date are not deleted, unless you specify so.

GOOD decoders allow you to RENAME, SKIP and DELETE unwanted channels.

I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a new XSAT 430, then signed up for a "card only" from SelecTV.

FWIW, their equipment wizard seems to think that postcode 2905 is rural, not that I was looking to get anything more than just the card from them.

Colin - about your STB note this thread:

http://www.vetrun.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3352

If you get it to work please advise.

Does anyone know if the Euro-Sports channel carries full Live F1 coverage? It would be worth considering if they had all the practise & qualifying sessions Live!

I've got everything except an DVB-S STB and would prolly buy a single Tuner Sat-PVR (eg emtech) for it if I decided to go down that path.

If you get it to work please advise.

The person selling them said, "Ideal for SelecTV", so I hope he's right. :blink:

I considered:

UEC box from SelecTV (supported, but no S-Video)

Opentel 4000 (supported, but no S-Video)

Wavelength DSR807 (but don't know if it'll work, and still no S-Video)

XSAT 410 (used, and not sure if it'll work, but at least it has S-Video)

XSAT 430 (told that it'll work, and it has S-Video)

I came across this from a SelecTV rep:

http://www.aus-city.com/NonCGI/ultimatebb....0192;p=1#000001

I've applied for access so that I can ask which boxes they've tried, but I can't post there yet.

Update:

Picked up dish, LNB and mounting hardware last night.

Smartcard arrived today.

Can buy RG6U and connectors any time.

Now just waiting on receiver to arrive.

El-cheapo satellite finder should be on its way too.

Will mount dish on weekend, weather permitting.

It'd be nice if the receiver arrived before then, but I doubt it's even been sent yet.

SelecTV are now running a promotion on their English package; $1 for the first month. It started on the 15th of April, but I haven't seen it on their website until today. Typical - I signed up on the 14th.

I've e-mailed them, asking if they can be flexible. Maybe they'll take pity on me. :blink:

Sounds good for that $1! If i buy the satellite and box and instalation from SelecTV does the dish rotate and can you rotate it to another satellite in space la la la and pick up other channels, because on lyngsat site PAS8 have more channels! (that's a question too)

Thanks, and SelecTV does look like something I want to get! With Widescreen broadcasts too =)

Sounds good for that $1!

You still have to get the required smartcard from them though, which is another $29.95, unless you're getting a hardware package from SelecTV which includes it.

If i buy the satellite and box and instalation from SelecTV does the dish rotate and can you rotate it to another satellite in space la la la and pick up other channels, because on lyngsat site PAS8 have more channels! (that's a question too)

No, it'd be fixed (unless you made other arrangement$ with the installer). But SelecTV is on PAS-8, not that I think anything else that's going to be receivable is worth watching (except DW-TV until it's encrypted).

PAS 8 at 166.0°E

MTV Mandarin

MTV China

Nickelodeon New Zealand

Nickelodeon Japan

(MTV feeds)

VH1 Thailand

MTV Philippines

MTV Southeast Asia

Discovery Networks Asia

Discovery Channel Taiwan

Discovery Channel Australia

Animal Planet Japan

CNN International Asia Pacific

CCTV's

ESPN's

Disney

SELECTV

HMV Tv

http://www.lyngsat.com/pas8.html

can you get those? Oh and I know about the card you need that's $29.95 every month!

can you get those?

You need to understand what the other columns mean. Short answer: No.

Oh and I know about the card you need that's $29.95 every month!

No, the card is a once-off $29.95 and it remains the property of SelecTV. If you cancel your subscription and fail to return the card then you must pay a further $50.

The $29.95 monthly charge is for the English package subscription (but only a $1 for the first month if you sign up between 15/4/06 and 11/6/06).

The $29.95 monthly charge is for the English package subscription (but only a $1 for the first month if you sign up between 15/4/06 and 11/6/06).

yeh i know about the card. yu pay monthly.

why can't yu get other channels from PAS8?