SelectTV - as per my Foxtel Complaints ***********

Have they taken the names off again of D1 to D5 because my Opentel 4000IR isn't showing them?

A couple of them report Euronews German has moved.

Delete all Select channels manually except for STV1, then rescan.

If your decoder can, 'rename' the channels as needed.

The D1, D2 etc are renamed now. D1 for example is Animal Planet, crikey!

ATM - my sub card does not open them, they are probably not quite ready and may be an additional cost per month.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply can't get enough sport. I wish I could get DirecTV (biggest American satellite tv provider). I want to be able to watch college (NCAA) basketball and football. I want to be able to watch the NFL draft and the NBA draft. I want Golf Channel! Is it technically and legally possible for selectv to possibly offer channels such as ESPNU, ESPN (not international), ESPN 2, CSTV: College Sports Television, NFL Network and Golf Channel? What about Foxtel? I need more sports. lol. I would pay >$50/ mo extra just for a complete ESPN package complete with ESPNU, ESPN 2, ESPN Extra, etc. I really want DirecTV though, I know they aren't allowed to offer their services here-- may be a dumb question-- but would their satellites reach Brisbane?

List of 250+ channels available on DirecTV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DirecTV_channels

And you can get all that for US$65/ mo (for the first 3 months- normally US$90)

Edited by Big Game

I simply can't get enough sport. I wish I could get DirecTV (biggest American satellite tv provider). I want to be able to watch college (NCAA) basketball and football. I want to be able to watch the NFL draft and the NBA draft. I want Golf Channel! Is it technically and legally possible for selectv to possibly offer channels such as ESPNU, ESPN (not international), ESPN 2, CSTV: College Sports Television, NFL Network and Golf Channel? What about Foxtel? I need more sports. lol. I would pay >$50/ mo extra just for a complete ESPN package complete with ESPNU, ESPN 2, ESPN Extra, etc. I really want DirecTV though, I know they aren't allowed to offer their services here-- may be a dumb question-- but would their satellites reach Brisbane?

List of 250+ channels available on DirecTV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DirecTV_channels

And you can get all that for US$65/ mo (for the first 3 months- normally US$90)

If you don't mind paying a lot for internet and streaming Paytv service 185 channels try

http://www.a2btv.com/

I think their desperate and will accept Australian citizens. Free trial available by initiating consultant chat.

If you don't mind paying a lot for internet and streaming Paytv service 185 channels try

http://www.a2btv.com/

I think their desperate and will accept Australian citizens. Free trial available by initiating consultant chat.

I wasn't aware of that service. I would be really excited if only the picture quality availavble via the net was better. I am considering giving it a try even though it is a bit of a rip off.

I would have to pay US$99/ mo to these a2btv guys just to enable me access DirecTV via the internet and then I need to pay DirecTV directly a further US$50/ mo (2 year contract also applies) for the 185 channels plus extra for the premium sports package and HBO. It's close to US$200/ mo. I would be thrilled if I could pay that ammount and get all those channels picture perfect direct to my tv via satellite. But paying that much to have poor quality tv that needs to involve my internet connection and hooking my computer up to the tv... I don't think so.

So now we have the discovery pack, what about the rest. Family, Adult, Music and International movies?????

Being greedy what about any more new channels, anyone heard roumors??

Also how come now "discovery channel", just the bastard channels.

So now we have the discovery pack, what about the rest. Family, Adult, Music and International movies?????

Being greedy what about any more new channels, anyone heard roumors??

Also how come now "discovery channel", just the bastard channels.

Rumour only: Sky Racing, AlJazeera International, Main Event, World Movies.

R rated AUS market AO is ho-hum. Try C band and Tesltar 18 instead for X AO.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped into MySelectv this 14th day of March 07 to subscribe to the Discovery Pack. Could not do this yesterday.

Had to re-select Great TV, only then would it add the Discovery Pack.

You then 'review' your purchase, I had chosen, it said - the standard Great TV package twice, and Discovery pack:-) Guess the second Great TV pack will drop so one isn't charged 2 x $29.95/month plus a single $5.95.

Status reads 'Awaiting Activation'. Can't tell yet if the card works, I'm not near it.

You just can't enter and tick Discovery, you need to confirm Great TV (as the basic) once again too.

Dropped into MySelectv this 14th day of March 07 to subscribe to the Discovery Pack. Could not do this yesterday.

Had to re-select Great TV, only then would it add the Discovery Pack.

You then 'review' your purchase, I had chosen, it said - the standard Great TV package twice, and Discovery pack:-) Guess the second Great TV pack will drop so one isn't charged 2 x $29.95/month plus a single $5.95.

Status reads 'Awaiting Activation'. Can't tell yet if the card works, I'm not near it.

You just can't enter and tick Discovery, you need to confirm Great TV (as the basic) once again too.

I have the same issue as 'Keepleft'

I've added the Discovery Pack to my Great Tv package, but its status is shown as 'Awaiting Activation'. So despite subscribing on Wed night 14 March, I can't view these channels. Perhaps whenever a new package is added to that originally subscribed to, you need to call Selectv to reactivate your Smartcard to allow the viewing of these extra channels?? I haven't tried this yet. Or is it just that Selectv are being slack in activating my upgrade.

I have the same issue as 'Keepleft'

I've added the Discovery Pack to my Great Tv package, but its status is shown as 'Awaiting Activation'. So despite subscribing on Wed night 14 March, I can't view these channels. Perhaps whenever a new package is added to that originally subscribed to, you need to call Selectv to reactivate your Smartcard to allow the viewing of these extra channels?? I haven't tried this yet. Or is it just that Selectv are being slack in activating my upgrade.

Just try the activation number, enter card sn etc.

Make sure card is inserted correctly etc.

REM too, some non fully licensed Irdeto decoders won't 'activate' canrs from start, but will play pre-activated cars.

Box dependent. Try that activation number and wait 20 mins or so for pics.

after spending 2 months with select I`ve kinda grown tired of there packages ( maybe just me that it dosent suit). I`ve waited 12months to see added channels and want real happy with them. We just seem to get the discovery channels bastard children channels, and I feel channels to be added will be of the same nature.

The actuall quality of the audio/video isnt real flash either, and it dosent take much bad weather to knock the service out ( I know that my ex-austar dish is partly to blame for this).

Is there away to copy the smart card, I dont want to have to pay another subscription cost to watch the service in another room.

I`m seriously concedering switching to austar, at $36.95 no lock in contract, $10 install, and if a friend refers me we both get a $50 credit and the basic package I think is better (for me anyway, I dont have time to watch movies). I think the only decent channels on select are mtv,vh1, discovery real time and National geographic.

I think it come down to the old saying "you get what you pay for".

But for the budget concious its a good option for some varity in your TV vewing, but if movies isnt your thing @ $7 extra a month I thing austar at the moment is also worth considering.

Sorry to take off topic but there is a question in there and I`de just like to share my view : )

Aparently the main Discovery Channel has an exclusivity agreement with Foxtel/Optus/Austar so legally cannot be with another provider

Don't expect that to be exclusive forever though if the other Discovery products have gone to Select already, more likely they are waiting for the contract period to expire on the main channel. Different story for the Foxtel generated content like Fox Sport, none and buckley's there.

Quite right OzHTFan, I wonder when the contract runs out.

Yeah also I think anything on XYZ entertainment (Channel [V] etc) will not be showing up on any other providers for a while if at all.

Looking at their website I am sure that the new channels they will announce will be Adults Only (for Adult) World Movies (for international movies) I'm interested in what Music channel package they will come up with, given above Re Channel [V] I am thinking it might be MCM, a French channel available in NZ and also on Neighbourhood Cable and TransACT here in AUS. I am not sure on the Family package either I am thinking Boomerang but not sure what else would class as "Family" - any ideas?

Yeah also I think anything on XYZ entertainment (Channel [V] etc) will not be showing up on any other providers for a while if at all.

Looking at their website I am sure that the new channels they will announce will be Adults Only (for Adult) World Movies (for international movies) I'm interested in what Music channel package they will come up with, given above Re Channel [V] I am thinking it might be MCM, a French channel available in NZ and also on Neighbourhood Cable and TransACT here in AUS. I am not sure on the Family package either I am thinking Boomerang but not sure what else would class as "Family" - any ideas?

Family - Boomerang, Disney Channel

Music - TMF

Correct on XYZ content same scenario essentially as them trying to get Fox Sports. I would suggest a few intl content providers may be available that haven't been offered here before. Definitely more music content to add to MTV and VH1, as they both play less and less music these days. For adult I wouldn't be surprised if they got ahold of a channel like Playboy.

• 2 weeks later...
Add the History channel to those, and that would complete my list of wanted channels :blink: Though Sci-Fi would be good too...

I wouldn't worry about Sci-Fi channel Oz. It's a pale version of the original US version with none of the premier content and more like an extension of sister channel TV1. I also suspect it's locked up in an exclusive arrangement with Foxtel and Austar for a while.

I'd like History, or Disc Military Channel or even The Pentagon Channel. SKY RACING now loads (no pics yet) and is part of the $29.95/month basic 'Great TV' package.

You can add additional FTA channels to your Select TV service by using one of these dishes, that are 'fixed', not motorised!! This is best done (but not impossible) if you choose to buy a non provider decoder instead!

A Torroidal 90 - this allows reception of key Ku band sats servicing AUS/NZ: (Recommended, I use one, see this Ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=160059458973

http://www.toroidal.co.nz/

Or see Page 8 of this 1.4mb Pdf for an 85cm unit that will do 3 sats:

http://www.jonsa.com.au/common/file.php?fi...atalogue_13.pdf

To an existing 85cm dish, you can add a 3-way LNB holder such as these examples to achieve the same:

http://www.sattronics.net/catalog/index.ph...5f5953c5ebb7346

Key channels in full English, and FTA, you can install for on the one single dish would then be;

Russia Today on Optus B3.

Arirang TV South Korea on Intelsat 2.

ABC/SBS for all states and Imparja TV on Optus D1 (good pic quality).

AlJazeera International/TVSN/EXPO on Optus C1 (the sat used by Foxtel/Austar).

I am hoping NASA TV will eventuate on an Aussie beam one day from NSS5, the T90 will be suited to that.

The satellite Optus B3 has much more than Russia Today too, IF you have kids, and want safe (albiet Christian in source) content, see 'Smile Of A Child TV":

http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb3.html

http://www.smileofachildtv.org/

Russia Today (good viewing).

http://www.russiatoday.ru/test/

Arirang TV:

http://www.arirang.co.kr/intro.asp