Sign in to follow this  
tomlc

SelectTV - as per my Foxtel Complaints ***********

Hi All,

I posted a few days ago about Foxtel and how not happy etc and someone mentioned SelectTV will

be offering an English Version.

I emailed Select TV and have just had a reply and here is a cut and paste -

Hello,

You requested information in regard to when the SELECTV English Package is available - well, today is the day.

You can subscribe now via the website here: https://www.selectv.com/src/register/

The complete channel line up can be found here: https://www.selectv.com/cms/channel?package=english

We hope you enjoy the SELECTV English package - it's a great package at a great price!

Any feedback from the sign-up process would be appreciated as you are one of the first, please reply to this email or send feedback to: information@selectv.com.

We look forward to you being one of the first SELECTV English Package subscribers!

Thank you very much for your interest in the SELECTV service.

Regards,

Elizabeth Hughes

Selectv Limited

Level 7, 100 Collins Street

Melbourne VIC 3000

eMail: elizabeth.hughes@selectv.com

So click on the links. Seems you dont get to choose your own 18 stations but at least the basic version includes movie channels so its a much cheaper option to Foxtel.

Nothing about other packages you can subscribe to but they will probably release them soon.

Enjoy !

We hope you enjoy the SELECTV English package - it's a great package at a great price!

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit of an exaggeration?

On Optus, for example, you can get Basic + Movie Network + World Movies for as little as $63.90/month.

Sure, this is roughly double what you pay on SelecTV, but, in my opinion, the *value for money* is much better.

Comparison:

SelecTV package offers the following channels not available with Optus basic+movies:

TCM

Euronews

Real Madrid TV

A1

WineTV

E!

VH1

Optus basic+movies offers the following channels not available with SelecTV:

Fox8

TV1

Arena

Lifestyle

UKTV

CMC

TVSN

Aurora

CNBC

Fox Classics

Discovery

Expo

Disney

Fox News

Sky Racing

ACC

Weather Channel

Sky News

Fox Sports

Air

FBO (at additional cost)

On balance, I'd much rather pay $63.90 for the better channel package, than $29.95 for Movie Network, and a few (some actually freely available channels - eg. CNN) additional channels.

If you're on Foxtel, to get Movie Network, you must subscribe to Showtime etc., which makes the direct comparison less favourable.

One other 'benefit' is with Foxtel/Optus you don't own the equipment, so if there are any issues, you get it fixed for free.

If SelecTV achieves anything, maybe (emphasis on the *maybe*) it will force a re-think of Foxtel/Optus packaging...

My 2c.

balki

Well I'm going to wait for the other packages to be released before commenting anymore.

Getting those movie channels in my basic package is a bonus and if they have other packages

to buy that include those channels you mentioned it may still be cheaper.

Its their first day so give them a break. I am sure there will be some fine tuning on the packages.

A lot of people want the movie channels and this options is by far cheaper than Foxtel or Optus who make

you buy the movies as optional packages and as you say with Foxtel if you want the Movie Network you

have to pay $25 as you need to buy Showtime as well.

Sorry - I guess my post comes across as a little harsh.

Look, more power to them (SelecTV)... as I said, at the very least, they may stir up the industry a little, and give us a little more choice.

I guess I was a little dissapointed with the line up - though for $30/month, I should not have been surprised.

While I'm at it... those of you hoping to be able to pick and choose individual channels - forget it.

If we had the choice, channels like TVSN, Expo etc. would fold. AFAIK, these channels actually subsidise the other content, so without them, we'd actually be paying more.

Hi All,

I posted a few days ago about Foxtel and how not happy etc and someone mentioned SelectTV will

be offering an English Version.

Some of the Channels mentioned as part of the Select TV package are available for FREE if you have a C band satellite dish, eg BBC.

To see what is available for FREE, check out www.lyngsat.com.

Cheers

JB

After googling some of the channels on offer, I can't say that I'm inspired to fork out $400 or so to try it. It'd be different if I already had the necessary hardware.

For their sake, I hope I'm not indicative of a potential English package customer.

Select TV will not be for everyone, sure, but will suit folk on a budget.

The BIG PLUS is that it allows, for the very first time in Australia, you to use your own decoder, cabling, dish etc and so on. Something Foxtel, Optus, Austar simply do not allow and cannot work with.

They do offer a UEC 990 at I recall $175 IF for some odd reason you'd like one.

I would suggest: An 85cm dish - AND to this add a 3-way LNB holder vis;

http://www.adigitalife.com.au/digital_sate...=2&resultpage=2

SO, you can then have Pas 8 (For Select TV and other FTA stuff carried on Pas 8), say B1 (for unencrypted ABC/SBS) and say AMC23 for 'Russia Today' - a BBC like full-time English language service! AMC23 also carries church stuff like that on B3. Maximising your viewing potential. I do recomend Russia today.

The 3-way LNB holder will fix to most SINGLE ARM LNB-holder dish, I find most are satisfactory. Jonsa Ellies etc do however sell an 85cm dish specifically designed for it here:

http://www.jonsa.com.au/products.php?cPath=0_13_79&id=1636

You could motorise the dish but this is not suited to everyone.

NOW -

I had a play with their Subcribe page and at first couldn't avoid the Item:

"Existing Satellite Dish Re-Point(SPWIX-RE6) - $154.95". For many folk, a scary unnecessary charge.

IF chosen, basically means they send a tech out to ensure correct dish alignment. You AVOID this by answering thus:

Q1. Do you have existing satellite equipment in your home?> YES

Q2. Is this equipment currently being used for another service?> YES

Q3. Do you intend replacing this service with Selectv?> YES

Q4. Do you currently have a satellite dish installed on your roof?> YES

Q5. Is it a fixture on your house? etc.> YES

Q6. Would you like to use it?> YES

Q7. What service were you last watching?> CHOOSE TARBS

Q8. Do you have a satellite Set Top Box?> YES

Q9. What service were you last watching with your satellite Set Top Box?>CHOOSE OTHER

Q10. Does the satellite Set Top Box have a smart card slot?>YES

Q11. Is your Set Top Box Irdeto compliant?>YES

THIS then gives you the CARD ONLY option!

They do offer a UEC 990 at I recall $175 IF for some odd reason you'd like one.

Well, if I was going to sign up I'd need a compatible STB of some sort, and a dish, LNB, cable, etc, as I don't have satellite anything. It'd cost me $400 to get it all via Selectv, which seems like a fair market price from what I can tell, but that figure is a show-stopper for me, given what I'd then be getting for my $30 per month.

As an aside, I haven't seen a compatible STB with S-video out yet. Know of any?

Well, if I was going to sign up I'd need a compatible STB of some sort, and a dish, LNB, cable, etc, as I don't have satellite anything. It'd cost me $400 to get it all via Selectv, which seems like a fair market price from what I can tell, but that figure is a show-stopper for me, given what I'd then be getting for my $30 per month.

As an aside, I haven't seen a compatible STB with S-video out yet. Know of any?

Nothing in this world free eh? :-)

Most STB's have Component, RBG and some have S video. I use Topfield PVR's (S video). I would not use the Select TV optional UEC 990, except as a second decoder somewhere. Instead, buy a decoder with full channel edit functions - SKIP, DELETE, RENAME, etc. If your going to do this - do it right!

Colin, IF you ever decide to throw some money around, DO take on board the 3-way LNB holder idea ($32). Add the LNB's (variable cost), you will then need a DISEQ swich, say a 4-way (Cheap cheap cheap) to maximise your viewing potential. Russia Today on AMC23 is actually worth adding to your total channel load line-up. Ditto ABC/SBS on B1 (Better qualty than on Aurora carried on C1).

I've since found one STB that has S-Video and supports Irdeto, but it didn't say which version.

Dumb question time: Why would I want ABC and SBS via satellite if I already receive them via DVB-T?

I've since found one STB that has S-Video and supports Irdeto, but it didn't say which version.

Name the box, MOST new are Ir2 compliant.

Dumb question time: Why would I want ABC and SBS via satellite if I already receive them via DVB-T?

Good question - B1 can in your case be left purely optional, UNLESS you'd like to see the often funny, two primary ABC TV 'feed' channels on B1, and the off and on private service - Imparja/SC10 channel. OR you can set that LNB to C1 instead for the FTA TVSN and EXPO plus radio items OR even B3, for its FTA stuff instead. I would make the effort for AMC23's Russia Today though.

Check Lyngsat.

Just ideas.

Has anybody broached the subject of using a PCI DVB-S PC card with SelectTV. I have Austar at present and would really like a digital way of getting Pay satellite into my HTPC.

Example of DVB-S card :

http://www.digitalnow.com.au/dvbscards.html

the TwinhanDTV Sat-CI card.

Fatang

Should be okay for Select TV's Irdeto 2, the CAM is what is important here in that top of page product. Basically the latest firmware Irdeto CAM v1.1 in 2.09 or 2.06B. Kristal electronics can advise on the CAM requirment, and will update older 2.06B's for Select telly according to an email I received.