Scoop On Z4's

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all gone quiet......everybody is busy playing!

I found out that my existing Z1 ceiling mount doesn't fit the Z4. So I'm considering making a platform for it to sit on, suspended from the ceiling using long thin poles, rather than purchasing a ceiling mount.

Oh sorry, you wanted some feedback on the Z4.....stay tuned as I've only just made it through each menu and have it balancing on a coffee table using poor quality cables trailing across the floor. Give me a week or so. Initial thoughts are that it is much brighter than the Z1 and the resolution knocks my socks off.

Can't thank you enough Steve.

Grinner.

Briefly checked out 'Alien' and 'Chicken Run' after determining the best settings for my setup using the Oppo.

All I can say even at this early time in evaluating its performance is that the Z4 is ' Absolutely Brilliant ' and surely rates as one of the top LCD projectors out there.

There is absolutely no vertical banding at all,and an there is the option in the a menu settings to fine tune out any residual if it is 'perceived'.

SDE is invisible from normal veiwing distance, black levels make the picture look 3 dimensional and presents a great depth of field to the viewer.

The huge number of tweaks make it a little confronting at first as to what is the best compromise for one's viewing, I guess this will take a little time to arrive at, though Video Essentials may quickly fine tune most settings.

Out of the box, 'natural' seemed the most balanced of all the preset settings but could do with a little tweaking on my system.

Lastly, I am still waiting on the paper work........have any of you received anything or the -.pdf ? Otherwise we have no warranty with Sanyo or proof of ownership.

C.M

I actually have been slack with the emailing of invoices, they will be out this evening in your inboxes..

Cheers,

Steve

PS This brings me to another point (Except those i already know) those who would like the invoice made out to a business name, feel free to email me with it..

Cheers,

Steve

:-)

Received my PJ yesterday afternoon - no time to play yet but I look forward to getting into it on the weekend and then scouring these pages for advice and tips on the finer points of tweaking this machine!

Thanks again to Rising Phoenix!

Cheers,

yes lets make a z4 tweaking thread

Stuartj,

When one calibrates a projector one has to do it in conjunction with the peripheral equipment in the loop,so in fact one calibrates the DVD player and the projector together as a working 'model' through a specific input of the projector.

A DVD player/projector could possibly have a different calibration 'model' via component input to that of a HDMI input, and likewise with a SVHS input.

Different DVD players will present different calibration settings for the projector.

Then there are other peripherals such as HD STB's , so trying to work out the best compromise in settings for them would surely have to based on personal preference.

Thus giving 'Menu settings' may not be as worthwhile as one might hope.

C.M

Stuartj and anyone else who is getting to know their new Z4's (like me). I've found a good Z4 review, which I reckon is a great compliment to the owner's manual. The manual says "this is the menu item for X" - the review says "X is great/crap feature and here's where you'll find it helpfull/waste-of-time". As the Z4 is my first projector I'm currently on a steep but enjoyable learning curve, so I find reviews like this very helpful.

www.projectorreviews.com/Manufacturers/sanyo/plvz4/index.asp

cheers

Hey guys.. love new z4 its great..

my question is when playing a dvd .the scene when a camera moves slowly across landscape the picture jerks for a split second & then on every second there is probably a name for it .

I would like to know how to fix this but not sure where to start.

dvd player is an OPPO.

any ideas.?????

cheers stuart

Stuartj

The 'jerkiness' that sometimes occurs when the camera is panning is quite normal,it is not a product of the Oppo or the projector but the fact that films are made at 24fps, whereas the video signal is sent at 50 or 60 frames per second to your projector, what it means is a lot of frame shuffling needs to go on to make panning workable.

I am not too clued up on this... but Preacher, Darklord and a few others who are into 3:2 pulldown film/video techniques and could explain it much better than I.

Largely it is to do with the incompatibilities between film and the video requirements for projection.

You might need the latest firmware upgrade from the Oppo website if you haven't downloaded that yet, but there are limitations to what can be done.

With regards to projection on the Z4,the native 720p resolution of the projector should prove to be the best as it best matches the 720p output of the Oppo without any additional conversions.

C.M

Stuartj,

When one calibrates a projector one has to do it in conjunction with the peripheral equipment in the loop,so in fact one calibrates the DVD player and the projector together as a working 'model' through a specific input of the projector.

C.M

S**t you mean now I need a DVD player... will this expense never end? Next you'll be telling me I need some sort of screen!!

:P:blink:

Hi Guys,

As a forum only special.

Just got an option, if we can get some numbers Sany Z4's Full Aus Spec, Delivery, Warranty.. $2400each, you just pay for freight from office (or ask if it can be picked up etc)

Cheers,

Steve

Missed out on this. Is there another one of these soon?

my question is when playing a dvd .the scene when a camera moves slowly across landscape the picture jerks for a split second & then on every second there is probably a name for it .

dvd player is an OPPO.

any ideas.?????

cheers stuart

Indeed their is a word for it. Welcome to the wonderful world of motion judder. To get rid of it you need to adjust the refresh rate of your display device to match the source.

For smooth motion you need:

PAL (Australia, Europe) Video (TV): 50Hz

PAL (Australia, Europe) Film (movies): 50Hz

NTSC (USA, Japan) Video: 60Hz

NTSC (USA, Japan) Film (region 1 movies): Nothing. It doesn't matter what you do it will judder. You should set everything to 60Hz though so at least it's consistent judder.

In short to play PAL (Australian) DVD's without judder you need to ensure your DVD player is outputting a 50Hz signal and that you display device is capable of taking a 50Hz signal through your chosen input.

A lot of display devices only take 60Hz through their digital input. Look in the manual and confirm that it can take 50Hz. If it can't take 50 Hz through the digital input then you may have to use either the Component inputs or the VGA. That's going to make the Oppo a bit pointless though as it doesn't deinterlace or scale via it's analogue outputs. The scaling and deinterlacing on the Z4 though is probably reasonably competent for film sources so it's no biggie.

My cousin just discovered this problem last week. He paid $1600 for a new Hitachi LCD TV to hook up to his PC. He played a DVD and it was motion judder city. I said, no problem, change your refresh rate on your PC to 50Hz, at which point the screen went dark. It will only accept 60Hz via its PC input.

I hope the Z4 isn't that limited. Check your manual and determine which inputs can take 50Hz and stick with those.

dvd player is an OPPO.

any ideas.?????

cheers stuart

The Z2 had a native internal refresh rate of 60Hz. So no matter how you tweaked there would always be a few frames dropped resulting in judder. Sounds like the new units still have an internal refresh rate of 60Hz so you will always get some... This can be largely avoided by using the analog connections or feeding non native resolution such as 1080i instead of 720p.

The Z2 had a native internal refresh rate of 60Hz. So no matter how you tweaked there would always be a few frames dropped resulting in judder. Sounds like the new units still have an internal refresh rate of 60Hz so you will always get some...

OMG. I hope not. IMO any display device that cannot do a true 50Hz should not be certified for sale in a PAL country.