Sign in to follow this  
paul_c100

Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

Guest Sparky66
With Austar the best you can hope for is s-video, though I read on this site that they are supposedley updating the decoders.

But how long will that take, and how much better (???) are the new ones?

Why would you bother with s-video ?

The FOXTEL IQ is connected via component video and outputs 576i @ 50hz / 16:9 Widescreen

Normal Foxtel and Foxtel “Digital” sat services use exactly the same Mpeg2 streams, and are also the same as Austar.

The Foxtel “IQ” is just a different decoder box, with recording – time shifting functions.

Svideo is perfectly adequate for SD video, especially the low quality stuff from Foxtel-Austar.

Component or RGB may look “different” , mainly in regard to colour, but video bandwidth of the low grade video is not a problem for a reasonably well implemented Svideo connection.

My DV camera produces better video quality then anything on Foxtel, and Svideo direct from the camera, looks so close to the digital output, it’s just is not relevant.

Foxtel is 576i, it has to be, or you could not watch it on a PAL TV, but it is NOT 720x576 visible resolution.

A VHS VCR is also outputs PAL standard 576i, but cannot provide anywhere near 720x576 visible resolution.

Saw the 72" setup at HN Asply today. Wanted to like it, but the picture certianly wasn't "WOW". Where else can I see one of these? Had a sale price of just under $7k. They didn't have any of the 62"ers there but I asked for a price and they said $5999. I took a walk.

Where will I have to go to see one of the 62" setup correctly, so I can throw some $5k at them?

Guest Sparky66

Normal Foxtel and Foxtel “Digital” sat services use exactly the same Mpeg2 streams, and are also the same as Austar.

The Foxtel “IQ” is just a different decoder box, with recording – time shifting functions.

Svideo is perfectly adequate for SD video, especially the low quality stuff from Foxtel-Austar.

Component or RGB may look “different” , mainly in regard to colour, but video bandwidth of the low grade video is not a problem for a reasonably well implemented Svideo connection.

I have to disagree, as the S-video connection implemented on the Foxtel box ,at the time of installation was no where near the picture quality displayed when connected via component. But I guess you wouldn't know that since you don't have Foxtel Digital IQ.

My DV camera produces better video quality then anything on Foxtel, and Svideo direct from the camera, looks so close to the digital output, it’s just is not relevant.

Are we talking about PC video based material or Film based material ?

Hey guys,

Gave Sunnybank Hifi a call today inquiring about the 62" and the 72", asking if they had them setup and on display, yes was the answer and told me to come down for a look.

I turned up and has a quick look around. Almost instantly, the giant 72" monster caught my eyes. Picture was just excellent compared to the one at HN Asply and the LG at Clive Anthony's. Kept walking around and saw the 62", which was just as good.

After a few seconds looking at the 62" a lady named Chau came over to assist. First things first, Chau is very knowledgable about these sets and knew exactly what she was talking about, and couldn't be happier to help with questions.

Not long into the conversation, I popped the question: "So,... what kind of...."

"How much am I selling them for?" She jumped in with.

"Um, you waste no time :blink:.... yeah, what are we looking at?" I replied

"Well, at the moment these retail at $5999, so, depending on how your paying, we're probably looking at around the $4800 mark"

Just about to throw all my money at her in excitement, I calmed myself and kept chatting.

She showed me a HDTV feed at 1080i which looked pretty good, but I won't be using at Set top box, so I asked to see a DVD.

She said that it would be no problem, but she would have to setup a DVD player etc. So a couple of minutes later we were a few meters back from it checking out Gladiator.

This thing just looked incredible. The details, the blacks. I had just seen nothing like it.

After a while more of watching and talking about the set, I asked about pricing for the set and the cabinet. I mwas expecting to pay about $200-$250, but no... she said that she would be happy to sell the set and the cabinet for $4800.

I was totally shocked. This lady wasn't trying to scam me, or do some sort of salesperson trick to try to get me to buy more, she was a genuine person who knew what she was talking about, trying to get me the best deal she could.

I said that I was very happy with the price and asked for delivery costs. Once again: "North Brisbane you say you live? Free delivery". I just couldn't get over it.

I will be going to Sunnybank Hifi for ALL of my Display/Audio needs ALWAYS from now on. I will be going straight back there in the next few weeks for my Audio setup.

JUST FANTASTIC! A+++

Oh, the set will be delivered next weekend, so I'll report on how it looks then :P

That's great work there KLoNe!

What type of DVD player did she attach?

Was it an upscaling player?

What connection did she use?

Cheers,

Peter

PS> I can't wait to see what some of the longer term experience is like with this unit, hopefully it will be better than the LG in This thread! :blink:

Hopefully im not breaking any forum rules here.

62inch $5300

72inch $6900

Like I said the 62 inch for 5k is a great price, so anywhere around that mark your doing well.

I live at the mid north coast and is wondering what deal I can get for the 72" DLP TV with HDMI x 2

Toshiba 72CM9UA (HD) we can get it on 12mths intrest free but retro want 7300 and on top 500 for 5yrs cover is their anywhere you know I can get better. Thank you whathe69

That's great work there KLoNe!

What type of DVD player did she attach?

Was it an upscaling player?

What connection did she use?

Cheers,

Peter

PS> I can't wait to see what some of the longer term experience is like with this unit, hopefully it will be better than the LG in This thread! :blink:

G'day mate.

Don't have the exact model I'm afraid, or the connection. But it was a Cambridge Audio DVD player, and yes, it was an upscaler (We watched it on 576p/720p/1080i).

Dont know if its helpful, but I posted this in another thread on Saturday

I went up to Pymble Hifi to see the 62" Toshiba DLP screen this evening on the way home from work (Thu 27th April).

These were my limited impressions from 1/2 hr with screen.

It is very well set up:

Iscan DP30 -> HDMI -> screen

SD DVD + Toshiba j35 HDTV as inputs

Being night, the room lighting is dim, which suits the screen

SWeIII DVD (upscaled to 1080 via IScan):

Fantastic blacks, no motion artifacts, very 3D feel to picture

Not absolutely sharp, but this seems to be how good HD images look

HDTV (Ch9) Looked good, but this is obviously so source dependant. I suspect if I was watching CSI the image would have been stunning. SD tv looked ok, but poor source looked fairly ordinary

Overall seemed to be a little 'duller' than I recall the Fujitsu and Panasonic 50" plasmas - but I would be the first to admit that there was nothing to compare this to and I am going from memory. The store owner also suggested that plasma is brighter. The black levels were very impressive.

Off axis viewing - side to side, essentially no issue unless you were viewing from a very (odd) wide angle (perhaps relevent to my 3yo when watching scary movies )

Off axis viewing - vertical, this was more noticeable with the image 'dulling' as one moved from a dead on view. Obviously one would set up the couch properly so that you head was in the best position.

No discrete on/off input commands for screen (Toshiba, what were you thinking???)

Overall -

+'s

No image retention

Huge Screen

True HD

Great Blacks

Same cost as 50" plasma

No motion blur

-'s

Seems duller than plasma (I need to test this against one side-by-side)

Bulk (not too bad considering size of screen), no deeper than ones other components

Lamp replacement (but $500 / 5 years seems quite reasonable)

Mild vertical off axis viewing

More evident poor source quality (mostly related to overall huge image and hi resolution)

No discrete on/off

Compared to a 65" plasma, the image is heaps better, at less than 1/2 the cost

If room aesthetics are important, then a flatscreen is still my choice.

If huge image is all important (especially with good quality image) then this screen is fantastic

If the room was bright, then plasma (or LCD with its drawbacks) would be my choice.

I suspect that wife approval will be lacking because of the bulk of the screen.

J.

Hope this is of some use to somebody

I live at the mid north coast and is wondering what deal I can get for the 72" DLP TV with HDMI x 2

Toshiba 72CM9UA (HD) we can get it on 12mths intrest free but retro want 7300 and on top 500 for 5yrs cover is their anywhere you know I can get better. Thank you whathe69

I can get it for you for 6900 delivered direct to you, however have no way of offering you an extended warranty or interest free terms.

Klone.....you lucky bugga :blink:

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it.

@scalpel.....great review mate.

Cheers

Up scaling dose NOT improve resolution, so when you are watching a DVD, all you are getting is SD resolution at best.

Good 1080i HD is anything BUT soft, however 1920x1080 displays tend to look smoother then lower res displays.

Sunnybank HIFI in Brisbanes South side is one of THE most knowledgeable and friendly people around when it comes to Audio/Video. No, I dont work for them but can vouch for them because I have been dealing with them for about ten years now and it has come to the point that I dont bother going anywhere else for quotes. As KLoNe has just found out, they are also one of the most competitive. Talk to Chau or Kaung (I'm not sure on the spelling) even if you live outside of Queensland. If you are sick of Sales Drones talking crap and all the rigmoral that goes with it, give these guys a call, you won't regret it.

Up scaling dose NOT improve resolution, so when you are watching a DVD, all you are getting is SD resolution at best.

Good 1080i HD is anything BUT soft, however 1920x1080 displays tend to look smoother then lower res displays.

Owen, could you give me a quick summary of what upscaling actually does do? (also upconverting if you have time )

Thanks mate.

Can anyone suggest a DVD that demonstrates dither. And of course at what point on the DVD the dither occurs. I'd like to be able to check this out when I have a demo of this set.

Don’t bother with the photos Paul.

If you can’t CLEARLY see the difference between free to air SD digital and Foxtel, there is no way a photo will show anything useful.

I am SHOCKED you can’t see the difference at a viewing distance of 2.5 meters on a 72” screen.

I have seen the Toshiba 71” displaying SD digital TV at a viewing distance of 2.5-3.0 meters, and the picture was exactly what I would have expected for a screen that size, e.g. very ordinary.

Foxtel-Austar on my 86cm CRT is soft, but quite acceptable at a 2 meter viewing distance, but on my 57” screen, viewed from 2.8 meters it is barely acceptable.

If I move back to 4-5 meters, it looks about the same as on the 86cm at 2 meters, which makes perfect sense.

Decent quality DVD,s look a lot better then anything Foxtel can produce on my 1080i 57” screen, viewed from 2.8 meters, and SD digital TV can be even better.

1080i content is simply INSANELY better then Foxtel, and so clean, clear and detailed, I feel I can reach into the picture and touch things.

Even at 6 meters, Foxtel looks like crap in comparison.

Fair enough then. All I can say is that everybody who has seen this TV in operation has been blown away by the picture quality from Foxtel. If you think Foxtel digital is crap on the Toshiba 72" then as it's your opinion I guess I can't comment on that.

I can't even recall what we are discussing. Currently Foxtel is only SD. Of course, like you I prefer the DVD version of a movie (rather than Foxtel) because I upscale it on my HTPC which gives me a better picture again. However, I am still happy with the picture quality of Foxtel Digital on the Toshiba as are a number of people who have visited my place to see it. I shall look forward to Foxtel moving to High Def in the future, until they do, I will deal with what they offer ..

Anyone know of a good DVD to play when evaluating a TV that you intend on purchasing and comparing displays. Like a few on this forum, I like a Black to look black and I appreciate good skin tones and textures that are not soft or have unusual artifacts. I see many LCD displays (not all) including the one we just put in at work that is less than impressive at displaying facial skin detail and definition especialy with movement. I like picture or the new Toshi DLP and LG LCOS 72 inch sets and wish there were a store that had them both on display (dream on!). I noticed that Clive Anthony in the Carseldine Brisbane store had a HD 1080i player marked "not for sale" which was used to demonstrate the LG 72 inch rear pro, however it was faulty and they could not demo a 1080i feed. :blink: I might go back when they have it fixed. To My eye the Toshi and the LG are VERY close but the Toshi is Significantly cheeper. Goin down the same road as you I think Paul C100.

The other thing to keep in mind. The Toshi is NOT a LG !! I think it's fair to say that in terms of quality a reliability I know I would prefer to own the Toshiba. Having experienced hopeless aftersales and quality issues with LG I was very pleased to see that the Toshiba was about the same price as the LG. Then it was of a case of why bother with LG at all. To keep pricing at parity, the LG "should" be around $1,000 cheaper than the Toshiba at least. I think Toshiba have a hot product at a hot price. If you read the global reviews of the US version, the pricing is aggressive there as well which has lead to a very good review ..

Why would you bother with s-video ?

The FOXTEL IQ is connected via component video and outputs 576i @ 50hz / 16:9 Widescreen

Good point mate .. Cause I am lazy .. I will dig out my SCART / Component plug and use that in due course .. Interestingly enough, last time I did that with my LG 60" LCD RP I found the component only as good as S-Video. At the time I had a shortage of component inputs so I left the S-Video because of a marginal improvement. It will be interesting to see the improvement with the Toshiba ..

Dont know if its helpful, but I posted this in another thread on Saturday

I went up to Pymble Hifi to see the 62" Toshiba DLP screen this evening on the way home from work (Thu 27th April).

These were my limited impressions from 1/2 hr with screen.

It is very well set up:

Iscan DP30 -> HDMI -> screen

SD DVD + Toshiba j35 HDTV as inputs

HDTV (Ch9) Looked good, but this is obviously so source dependant. I suspect if I was watching CSI the image would have been stunning. SD tv looked ok, but poor source looked fairly ordinary

Overall seemed to be a little 'duller' than I recall the Fujitsu and Panasonic 50" plasmas - but I would be the first to admit that there was nothing to compare this to and I am going from memory. The store owner also suggested that plasma is brighter. The black levels were very impressive.

Off axis viewing - side to side, essentially no issue unless you were viewing from a very (odd) wide angle (perhaps relevent to my 3yo when watching scary movies )

Off axis viewing - vertical, this was more noticeable with the image 'dulling' as one moved from a dead on view. Obviously one would set up the couch properly so that you head was in the best position.

No discrete on/off input commands for screen (Toshiba, what were you thinking???)

Overall -

+'s

No image retention

Huge Screen

True HD

Great Blacks

Same cost as 50" plasma

No motion blur

-'s

Seems duller than plasma (I need to test this against one side-by-side)

Bulk (not too bad considering size of screen), no deeper than ones other components

Lamp replacement (but $500 / 5 years seems quite reasonable)

Mild vertical off axis viewing

More evident poor source quality (mostly related to overall huge image and hi resolution)

No discrete on/off

Compared to a 65" plasma, the image is heaps better, at less than 1/2 the cost

If room aesthetics are important, then a flatscreen is still my choice.

If huge image is all important (especially with good quality image) then this screen is fantastic

If the room was bright, then plasma (or LCD with its drawbacks) would be my choice.

I suspect that wife approval will be lacking because of the bulk of the screen.

J.

Hope this is of some use to somebody

There are two lamp modes. Low and High. Low is much duller than the High model. Having said that, I run mine in Low all the time because the room I have it in is not very bright during the day. In the evenings, the pictuure is very bright and clear in either high or low .. The other advantage of using the low setting is that it extends the life of the lamp ..

Nice review also .. Good work ..

I guess the moral of the story, don't watch poor quality source .. LOL ..

I am by no means an expert on this subject, but :

I understood upscaling took the incoming image and spread the image over the upscaled resolution (e.g. 576 vertical to 1080 vertical). This would leave lines inbetween. I then understood that an interpolated image between the line above and line below was created. While this doesn't create any more information, it does have the effect of increasing the quality of the image on the screen because the image is effectively more smooth.

Please don't flame me if I am off the mark here .. Happy to learn on this subject !!

sorry but i just cant accept an RPTV looking better than an lcd... ive been doing lots of auditioning lately and havent seen one RPTV ive liked, some top end models too... im not into technical jardon just what my eyes see and rptv's just arent as sharp or clear at all. It is afterall just a projected image onto a screen

Owen, could you give me a quick summary of what upscaling actually does do? (also upconverting if you have time )

Thanks mate.

Upscaling or upconverting simply converts a low pixel count image to a high pixel count image.

It cannot create resolution or visible detail that was not there in the original image.

Upscaling a 720x576 pixel image to a 1920x1080 pixel image does not create extra resolution, because the extra pixels are only interpolated from the existing low res image.

Pixel count and resolution are independent of each other.

In fact DVD video, though nominally 720x576 resolution or pixels, rarely has that level visible detail.

The same goes for HD formats like 1080i, which never has 1920x1080 viable detail (resolution), even if it does have 1920x1080 pixels of data.

If we scaled video from a VHS player up to 1920x1080, what resolution would we get?

If done well, upscaling can smooth out the aliasing or jagged edges of low resolution video for display on a large, high res screen.

Without good scaling, SD video tends to look pretty ragged on a big screen.

Here is a review of the 62" Toshiba 1080p from www.goodgearguide.com.au :

Link Here

sorry but i just cant accept an RPTV looking better than an lcd... ive been doing lots of auditioning lately and havent seen one RPTV ive liked, some top end models too... im not into technical jardon just what my eyes see and rptv's just arent as sharp or clear at all. It is afterall just a projected image onto a screen

have you seen this TV in action ? if not, you might be surprised ..

there are a number of technical reasons why the DLP can be (is?) better than the DLP .. Most noteably the fact that contrast ratio of DLP is currently better than DLP .. I understand your point about the projection versus the direct image of the LCD panel. I also expected the same .. I can't explain why, but the Toshiba pictire is better than any LCD that I've seen .. You also have to adjust for the fact that the toshia is almost twice the size as the biggest LCD on the market. If you look at Plasma or LCD, the bigger screens (i.e. 50inch) look nowhere as good as say a 42 inch or smaller.

With respect to the Toshiba, the panel driving this image is a much higher resolution / definition .. This goes a long way to explaining the improvement over LCD / Plasma which is still 1368x720 pixels in the larger versions ..

I have a 1920x1200 DELL LCD display and a modified Hitachi 57” 1080i CRT RPTV.

When displaying 1080 video under normal indoor lighting, at a corrected equivalent viewing distance of 4 times screen hight, there is not much in it for quality. Visable detail is the same, the LCD has a little more punch, that’s all.

However, when the lights are dimmed, and the video contains any significant blacks or night - dark scenes, then the CRT RPTV blows the LCD away, no contest.

The LCD looks washed out, with grey blacks and lacks image depth.

A guy on AVS forum has a 45” Sharp 1080p LCD flat panel, a 50” Panasonic Plasma and a 60” Sony SXRD 1080p RPTV.

In his opinion the Sony RPTV offers the best 1080 HD picture quality of the three, and simply crushes the 768p Plasma.

Just because you have not seen a good RPTV, does not mean they don’t exist.

The Toshiba DLP is not quite up there with the Sony SXRD, but it should still be damn good, and the only RPTV worth looking at in Oz at the moment.

Comparisons with MUCH smaller LCD’s is difficult, simply because of the size difference.

Using a corrected viewing distance of 3 or 4 times screen hight is a great equaliser.

I saw Toshiba 72” and LG LCOS 71” side by side at Harvey Norman , Chadston ( Melbourne). On dark scenes , LG show more details than Toshiba. In my view, LG picture quality looks better

Are you sure that you saw the new 72" 72CM9UA (1920x1080) and not the older 72" 72JM9UA? Most Harvey Norman stores are still trying to get rid of the older models and do not stock the new one yet.

Anyone know of a good DVD to play when evaluating a TV that you intend on purchasing and comparing displays. Like a few on this forum, I like a Black to look black and I appreciate good skin tones and textures that are not soft or have unusual artifacts. ...

Suggest you invest in a SUPERBIT DVD, they are DVDs that have had all the extras removed, and the extra storage space is used for extra video bandwidth. I have The Fifth Element and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and they are both exceptional quality, remastered by people who cared!

Cheers,

Indulis

Are you sure that you saw the new 72" 72CM9UA (1920x1080) and not the older 72" 72JM9UA? Most Harvey Norman stores are still trying to get rid of the older models and do not stock the new one yet.

This was definitly new modle 1080P resolution. They also had older modle of 62" (62JM9UA) next to that.