Sign in to follow this  
paul_c100

Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

The Toshiba is a TV, and MUST overscan, like ALL TV’s

If it did not, customers would complain about nasty ragged edges around video.

RPTV’s provide overscan in the optics, and don’t need to scale a 1920x1080 image.

1080p flat panels must use scaling to provide overscan.

The Toshiba will require a custom resolution to show the entire Window desktop on screen.

The Sony is due in November, no pricing available.

Thanks Owen.

All I want is a bigcsreen I can hook up to my computer and use it as a monitor 24/7.

Most of the posts I've read indicate ppl have trouble doing this. They either get overscan,blurry letters or some other weird problem.

Will the sony have any of those problems?

Cheers

The Sony is no different to any other TV , and will overscan.

You can use a custom resolution to give you a full screen Windows desktop with 1:1 pixel mapping.

OK...thanks Mate.

I'd like to hear from any Tosh owners that have achieved the above.

Cheers

Come on now, when you make comments like that about Foxtel, your credibility comes into question.

Foxtel – Austar provide a relatively smooth, artefact and noise free picture, due to pre filtering, but it is VERY soft, and completely lacking in fine detail, because of that filtering.

It definitely is not 720x576 resolution, so on a big screen, there is only one way to describe the picture, and that is BLURRY.

How far away from the screen do you sit, and have you ever seen 1080i.?

Hi Owen. I guess picture is subjective and / or subject to the equipment you use. I have been purchasing high end audio / video equipment for many years and have come to appreciate picture and audio quality. With respect to Foxtel digital, there is no way I could describe the picture as 'blurry'. There is plenty of detail, I was looking at this specifically. I have certainly seen blurry pictures on Foxtel, however this is the source, not Foxtel. For example, I notice the West Wing is not brilliant quality compared with what I have seen. I would describe that as blurry. There are other examples, but West Wing comes to mind recently.

I have been paying special attention to the picture quality in the past 24 hours and it is still stunning where the source show is good. I would still describe it as comparable with DVD. Perhaps what I am experiencing is the TV's internal technology which is a) upscaling and :blink: applying other video enhancing technology to improve the picture. I really don't know other to say it's good.

As a final word, I looked again at the Panasonic 500A 50 inch Plasma which I had previously regarded as a very high quality picture. On reviewing the Panasonic, I have to say that that picture is probably the same in quality as the Toshiba, however it's incredibly SMALL. Once you get used to 72 inches, 50 inches is tiny lol.

One thing that I didn't understand is your comment about 1080i. I don't think I said Foxtel was as good as 1080i cause put simply it's not. I had the new LG 160gb High Def recorder to try out and the picture quality coming out via HDMI brings a tear to the eye on HD sources. Foxtel is clearly not in the same league give it's only SD. However, this experience completely supported my comments above. The picture quality was highly dependant on the show being broadcast. On the same channel, the quality variance was huge. It become somewhat painful after seeing something in high quality and then seeing something straight after that looked like crap.

Hi All,

Does that mean there is finally a RPTV that works flawlessly connected to a pc via DVI?? No overscan problems etc etc?

Any chance of getting some pics of a windows desktop??

I'd like to wait for the Sony but I'm sick of waiting!

BTW, Owen -any news on when the Sony will arrive(and price)? Sorry if it's already been covered elsewhere, first time I've been on for a while.

cheers

I will try and take a photo of the windows desktop in the next couple of days. Probably won't show you the level of detail you are after, but will do my best. In relation to the PC desktop.

I am using the Nvida 6200GT chipset which supports 1080i and custom resolutions. In 1080i using a custom resolution that the graphics card automatically selected.

I found the picture to be 100% stable with no perceivable flicker. This is expected given the 1080p panel. I find the picture quality excellent when playing DVDs (via PowerDVD). Windows WMV HD files are just unbelievable. I will try and post one or more of these also.

In relation to the all important text. Its not as clear as a computer monitor with a native 1920x1080 resolution, however it's completely readable and I would say satisfactory for my purposes. Clearly this is a TV and not a computer monitor, so I am not complaining about this. I have a 23inch widescreen Philips compputer monitor with native 1900x1200 resolution and text is great, however picture quality is nothing compared with the Toshiba. So I guess, the screen is designed fas a computer display.

If I drop the resolution down to 720p then i would describe the text quality as VERY good. I am not using this screen as a computer as such, rather a HTPC so I don't need detailed text. I can see the windows desktop, the windows explorer text (from 2-3 meters away) at 1080i so for me, that's satisfactory. I wouldn't want to run a spreadsheet at high resolution off it though lol.

Hope this helps. I would suggest taking a laptop to the local toshiba dealer and checking it out for yourself. Just make sure your laptop can out put the resolutions. Note my bad experience with ATI based cards. I won't be buying ATI again.

Thanks Paul.

I'll look forward to the pics.

Cheers

Guest Sparky66

At last someone else has seen what I have also noticed over a year ago. Back then, nothing could come near the Toshiba 62" DLP's overall performance (These screens 'sing a fine tune' when displayed a good sourced signal, so it doesn't surprise me that the 72" 1080p DLP is continuing to further that performance !)

I fully agree with what you are saying in regard to Foxtel digital. I have your Toshiba's older brother - the 62" DLP 62JM9UA (720p/1080i), and although it runs a lower res compared to the 72", the picture on the "movie" channels varies from excellent SD Dvd quality to complete crap on the same channel. With HD (720p / 1080i ) the picture quality is outstanding .Toshiba's DLP Tv's are without a doubt at the forefront of DLP implementation and the best value for money, kick arse displays that when set up correctly, question what all the fuss is about in comparabley sized plasma's. Without starting a war, rest assured plasma screens are way over rated by many on this forum, due to the bling-bling of a flat panel with a glass screen. I'm expecting people to question this so - Let the Sledging begin !! :P:blink:

Hi Owen. I guess picture is subjective and / or subject to the equipment you use. I have been purchasing high end audio / video equipment for many years and have come to appreciate picture and audio quality. With respect to Foxtel digital, there is no way I could describe the picture as 'blurry'. There is plenty of detail, I was looking at this specifically. I have certainly seen blurry pictures on Foxtel, however this is the source, not Foxtel. For example, I notice the West Wing is not brilliant quality compared with what I have seen. I would describe that as blurry. There are other examples, but West Wing comes to mind recently.

I have been paying special attention to the picture quality in the past 24 hours and it is still stunning where the source show is good. I would still describe it as comparable with DVD. Perhaps what I am experiencing is the TV's internal technology which is a) upscaling and :P applying other video enhancing technology to improve the picture. I really don't know other to say it's good.

As a final word, I looked again at the Panasonic 500A 50 inch Plasma which I had previously regarded as a very high quality picture. On reviewing the Panasonic, I have to say that that picture is probably the same in quality as the Toshiba, however it's incredibly SMALL. Once you get used to 72 inches, 50 inches is tiny lol.

One thing that I didn't understand is your comment about 1080i. I don't think I said Foxtel was as good as 1080i cause put simply it's not. I had the new LG 160gb High Def recorder to try out and the picture quality coming out via HDMI brings a tear to the eye on HD sources. Foxtel is clearly not in the same league give it's only SD. However, this experience completely supported my comments above. The picture quality was highly dependant on the show being broadcast. On the same channel, the quality variance was huge. It become somewhat painful after seeing something in high quality and then seeing something straight after that looked like crap.

I have been paying special attention to the picture quality in the past 24 hours and it is still stunning where the source show is good. I would still describe it as comparable with DVD. Perhaps what I am experiencing is the TV's internal technology which is a) upscaling and :blink: applying other video enhancing technology to improve the picture. I really don't know other to say it's good.

I’m glad you find you Foxtel picture so pleasing, but my expectations of a quality picture are obviously very different to yours.

Foxtel is heavily compressed, and to achieve an image free of blocking and pixelation, pre filtering of the video is used.

This filtering removes the high frequency content (fine detail) of the video to make it much easier to compress effectively.

I have been viewing Foxtel –Austar for 6 years, and have used 5 different decoder boxes.

While quality has improved significantly over the last 6 years, it is still at best only about 60-70% of DVD or free to air digital TV quality, and only 20-30% of 1080i.

Even using high quality scaling and processing via a top spec HTPC cannot create a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I don’t wish to denigrate Foxtel – Austar, unduly as without it, I would not watch TV at all.

However picture quality is definitely very ordinary on a big screen, viewed up close.

At what distance do you view your Toshi.?

Guest Sparky66
"While quality has improved significantly over the last 6 years, it is still at best only about 60-70% of DVD or free to air digital TV quality, and only 20-30% of 1080i."

To put all DVD quality as you state in one basket is very one eyed, as we all know not even all Dvd's put out similar quality due to varying levels of Mpeg compression factored in at the authoring stage.For example, have a look at "War of the Worlds"-totally crapola. I have to disagree at your estimate of 60-70 %as that is totally not what I have seen with certain movies on Showtime. For e.g. viewing Friday Night Lights , Drumline etc.,etc definitely is as good as Dvd quality-not 60-70%

"However picture quality is definitely very ordinary on a big screen, viewed up close."

"At what distance do you view your Toshi.?"

If he sits 9-10 feet away, certain programme material will look very ordinary depending on the quality of the broadcast material. If it's produced well (even Foxtel) it should be no problem at all.

Yes, not all DVD’s are good, and free to air digital SD TV is often much better, but Foxtel has a VERY restricted data rate, and it shows in a lack of fine detail, cleanness of image and colour resolution.

I wont watch movies on Foxtel - Austar, I would rather hire the DVD, as the quality is always significantly better on my HTPC – display.

I struggle to understand how you can consider Foxtel the equal of DVD, or especially SD digital TV.

I’m glad you find you Foxtel picture so pleasing, but my expectations of a quality picture are obviously very different to yours.

Foxtel is heavily compressed, and to achieve an image free of blocking and pixelation, pre filtering of the video is used.

This filtering removes the high frequency content (fine detail) of the video to make it much easier to compress effectively.

I have been viewing Foxtel –Austar for 6 years, and have used 5 different decoder boxes.

While quality has improved significantly over the last 6 years, it is still at best only about 60-70% of DVD or free to air digital TV quality, and only 20-30% of 1080i.

Even using high quality scaling and processing via a top spec HTPC cannot create a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I don’t wish to denigrate Foxtel – Austar, unduly as without it, I would not watch TV at all.

However picture quality is definitely very ordinary on a big screen, viewed up close.

At what distance do you view your Toshi.?

I will do an experiment and see if I can take a photo of Foxtel Digital (on Channel 9) and FTA Channel 9 in standard def on the same image. Will try and press the pause button on both at the same time .. I will try and do that in the next week or so ..

Sorry, you asked the question about viewing distance in your earlier post and I didn't respond. I sit about 2.5 meters away from the TV. This is well within the recommended viewing distance for a screen of this size, but because the resolution of the panel its completely acheiveable. There is no pixelation visiable at all. The image looks completely fine.

I will do an experiment and see if I can take a photo of Foxtel Digital (on Channel 9) and FTA Channel 9 in standard def on the same image. Will try and press the pause button on both at the same time .. I will try and do that in the next week or so ..

Sorry, you asked the question about viewing distance in your earlier post and I didn't respond. I sit about 2.5 meters away from the TV. This is well within the recommended viewing distance for a screen of this size, but because the resolution of the panel its completely acheiveable. There is no pixelation visiable at all. The image looks completely fine.

I am new to this forum and have been following this thread with interest. However can anyone please tell me what the lifespan of the Toshiba lamp is ?

I am new to this forum and have been following this thread with interest. However can anyone please tell me what the lifespan of the Toshiba lamp is ?

6000-8000 hours

Guest Sparky66

Should last about 4-5 years if viewed for 5 hours per day for every day of the year !

Thats alot of TV viewing. If you factor in the cost of a globe you replace yourself at $350 - $500 after this period of viewing it's not that bad a mileage - obviously lamp life may vary - there 's no given time span set in concrete.

The good news is the picture does not degrade leading up to this "dooms day", but with the knowledge that the picture will look as new as the day you purchased it after a globe replacement and then good for another 5 years, is very enticing. Compare this with Plasma and LCD's that will gradually fade and degrade from initial purchase to their final death is not very enlightening at such an expense.

Don’t bother with the photos Paul.

If you can’t CLEARLY see the difference between free to air SD digital and Foxtel, there is no way a photo will show anything useful.

I am SHOCKED you can’t see the difference at a viewing distance of 2.5 meters on a 72” screen.

I have seen the Toshiba 71” displaying SD digital TV at a viewing distance of 2.5-3.0 meters, and the picture was exactly what I would have expected for a screen that size, e.g. very ordinary.

Foxtel-Austar on my 86cm CRT is soft, but quite acceptable at a 2 meter viewing distance, but on my 57” screen, viewed from 2.8 meters it is barely acceptable.

If I move back to 4-5 meters, it looks about the same as on the 86cm at 2 meters, which makes perfect sense.

Decent quality DVD,s look a lot better then anything Foxtel can produce on my 1080i 57” screen, viewed from 2.8 meters, and SD digital TV can be even better.

1080i content is simply INSANELY better then Foxtel, and so clean, clear and detailed, I feel I can reach into the picture and touch things.

Even at 6 meters, Foxtel looks like crap in comparison.

Anyone know anything about the globes themselves. If I buy a Toshi or LG Rear pro, will the lamps be easy to purchase in lets say 8-10 years time? Or do they stop production of that particular globe when the set or range is obsolete? :blink:

People worried about lamp cost should consider the alternatives.

If you by a LCD or Plasma flat panel of the same size, it will cost you 3 times the price.

The interest payments alone on the difference in price would be enough to buy 2 lamps per year.

Think about that for a while.

Lamps for 10 year old projectors are still available, so it is safe to assume that lamps for the Toshiba will also be.

It's interesting to compare FTA ABC and SBS with Austar (I presume Foxtel is the same).

The Austar version is very ordinary compared with the FTA. Much much softer.

I have had both Foxtel and Austar satellite , and for a short time, both.

Picture quality was identical, so unless something has changed, I expect they still are.

7, 9 and 10 are not available on my Austar service, but ABC and SBS are both a lot softer via sat.

The good news is the picture does not degrade leading up to this "dooms day", but with the knowledge that the picture will look as new as the day you purchased it after a globe replacement and then good for another 5 years, is very enticing.

My understanding is that the lamp (and image) will dim over time (I'm pretty sure this is mentioned in the manual). However, getting a new lamp after 3 or 4 years will restore the image brightness to it's original level (again, it's in the manual :blink:).

Anyone know of a good DVD to play when evaluating a TV that you intend on purchasing and comparing displays. Like a few on this forum, I like a Black to look black and I appreciate good skin tones and textures that are not soft or have unusual artifacts. I see many LCD displays (not all) including the one we just put in at work that is less than impressive at displaying facial skin detail and definition especialy with movement. I like picture or the new Toshi DLP and LG LCOS 72 inch sets and wish there were a store that had them both on display (dream on!). I noticed that Clive Anthony in the Carseldine Brisbane store had a HD 1080i player marked "not for sale" which was used to demonstrate the LG 72 inch rear pro, however it was faulty and they could not demo a 1080i feed. :blink: I might go back when they have it fixed. To My eye the Toshi and the LG are VERY close but the Toshi is Significantly cheeper. Goin down the same road as you I think Paul C100.

Guest Sparky66
My understanding is that the lamp (and image) will dim over time (I'm pretty sure this is mentioned in the manual). However, getting a new lamp after 3 or 4 years will restore the image brightness to it's original level (again, it's in the manual :blink:).

The manual quotes: "The light source for this TV is a projection lamp unit with a limited service life . When the lamp wears out, the picture may become dark or black or the lamp may fail, at which time you must replace the lamp unit ". The limited service life they mention is the generally quoted 6000-8000 hrs.

I don't think it degenerates considerably over a said period but that eventually what happens is that after 4-5 years the picture fades and goes dark or the lamp blows. I think more technology and research goes into the development of these RPTV lamps than people assume, or else why are we paying so much for a 150 -200 watt mercury vapour discharge lamp. Lamps of this nature are very long term sustainable and run fairly constant light outputs over their lifespan . I'll see if I can find it ,but I can't remember where I read an article on the net where it shows a graph of the pattern of lamp luminance degradation. Basically the lamp life is evaluated showing that light output begins fairly steady and linear over its' recommended lifespan (8000hrs +/-) and then dramatically drops off, largely fading or failing very quickly at this point.

Guest Sparky66
I have had both Foxtel and Austar satellite , and for a short time, both.

Picture quality was identical, so unless something has changed, I expect they still are.

7, 9 and 10 are not available on my Austar service, but ABC and SBS are both a lot softer via sat.

That's an interesting comment. It would be good to do a survey of people who have Foxtel, Foxtel Digital, Foxtel Digital IQ, Austar and Optusvision - if it is via cable or Satellite - are they using the Scart to component , s-video or composite ? and see what level of picture satisfaction they are getting and get them to rate it when watching various channels such as Showtime, Movie One, Show Greats, ABC, SBS, 7, 9 & 10.

With Foxtel Digital IQ, basically 'Showtime' and 'Movie One' on only some various movies have showed near DVD quality. All the rest seem compressed.

Note when I pass the Foxtel signal thru the DVDO VP30 Video Processor, the info screen shows that the Foxtel IQ is inputting 576i to the VP30 or TV for de-interlacing to progressive !

With Austar the best you can hope for is s-video, though I read on this site that they are supposedley updating the decoders.

But how long will that take, and how much better (???) are the new ones?