Sign in to follow this  
paul_c100

Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

Good luck with all that. I managed to get a refund from Castel ages ago, and my 72" had nowhere near the problems you have experienced.

Toshiba now look after these TVs themselves - Castel has lost the agency. So this may work in your favour.

Good luck!

Toshiba now look after these TVs themselves - Castel has lost the agency. So this may work in your favour.

Good luck!

Unfortunately not......Toshiba have not been helpful (apparently I haven't had enough failures to warranty a refund and am only entitled to a repair).

I will list both Castel and Toshiba as respondents to the claim since Castel were the distributor at the time of the sale, sold me a spare globe, and also were involved in some of the globe changes (and gave me a hard time about changing the globes....).

Unfortunately not......Toshiba have not been helpful (apparently I haven't had enough failures to warranty a refund and am only entitled to a repair).

I will list both Castel and Toshiba as respondents to the claim since Castel were the distributor at the time of the sale, sold me a spare globe, and also were involved in some of the globe changes (and gave me a hard time about changing the globes....).

I sent an email to the Toshiba Japan english feedback web site (can't find the link sorry), I didn't get a direct reply but Castel seemed to move more quickly and I eventually obtained a refund (note that this was twelve months ago).

Good luuck with your claim.

I've just noticed a seller auctioning 30 or so of these tv's on ebay, the model is 72MX196, are these an overseas model and when were they released?

Despite going through 4 bulbs (admittedly right in the middle of the faulty globe debacle about a year ago up until Castel was given the flick as Toshiba distributor), and one complete light engine change due to diagonal lines and noisy colour wheel, all seems terrific now.

I was very happy when Toshiba assumed their own responsibility in this country for their products, and when I contacted their Customer Service number with an outline of how shabbily Castel treated repairs, as well as the failure of the maps and Light engine kit needing swap out, not only did Toshiba recommend a tremendous local repairer who did a great job, but shipped the Light Engine up overnight and directed the repairer to prioritise my request.

I have nothing but praise for the way they have handled my situation at least - I was particularly impressed with their direction of replacing the Light Engine kit to the local tech - I also now have a 1 year warranty on the light globe, which is twice as long as anything Castel ever offered.

I had Aaron from Avical come up and re-do the calibration last week (I needed a new calibration after the Light Engine Kit swap-out), and the result is just unreal.

I have compared what I now get on this HDTV to anything else in-store, and while I have not yet seen the new Pioneers - and understand they are very good also, I can only state that it's hard to imagine how the displayed picture could get much better.

Further to this, and brand loyalty aside, I often wonder why DLP technology is not discussed in more open detail here, or favoured as a display of choice.

I would honestly put the calibrated result of this 72" Toshiba DLP HDTV up against any other set and it would have to rank at or near the top for outright display capability.

Cheers,

chuk.

Edited by sweetchuk

I had one a year or so ago and thought it was fabulous, but just couldn't get rid of the diagonal line problem. So I manged to get a full refund from Castel.

Do you live in the country? I have never been able to get Aaron to come to me but maybe I should try again.

After suffering 3 globe failures in under 12 months with the 62" version of this set....and battling Castel to get replacement globes under warranty (which I changed myself).....I wrote to Harvey Norman (the retailer of this set) and Castel to indicate that I would seek a refund if I had any further failures.

I didn't receive a reply from either....despite having approached Harvey Norman personally and indicating my disappointment at this.

Then to add insult to injury my colour wheel went noisy. Not wanting to go through a protracted battle (as past experience indicates I would)...I simply elected to have the unit repaired under warranty. The technician replaced the whole light engine. Unfortunately after he left (same day) the unit exhibited the same problem....only worse!!

I have now sought a refund (5 failures in just over a year is enough). I am pretty certain that this is within my rights...but it will be a long battle.

Harvey Norman have washed their hands of it. Despite their obligations here, they simply defer to Toshiba (I find DSE much better to deal with when you have problem). Toshiba have indicated they will only repair the unit....I am not entitled to a refund ... apparently 5 failures is not enough. The other excuse was that I should expect to need the unit service / globe changed every 6 months (at $500 a pop that is a worry!!). I've been told by various people there is no problem with the globes (and all of this despite the US website admitting the problem and extending globe warranty to over a year!!)

So it look as though I am off to VCAT to get the matter resolved since I consider this a breach of the Trade Practices and Fair Trading Acts (goods not of merchantable quality. I am pretty sure that there is some misleading and deceptive conduct issues with some of the players here.

Can only urge other people experiencing problems like this to assert their rights.

:angry:

To all of those who've taken interest in this:

Toshiba finally came to the party on this issue and made me an offer to settle the matter which I think was fair and reasonable...so the matter is now settled.

Cheers

After suffering 3 globe failures in under 12 months with the 62" version of this set....and battling Castel to get replacement globes under warranty (which I changed myself).....I wrote to Harvey Norman (the retailer of this set) and Castel to indicate that I would seek a refund if I had any further failures.

I didn't receive a reply from either....despite having approached Harvey Norman personally and indicating my disappointment at this.

Then to add insult to injury my colour wheel went noisy. Not wanting to go through a protracted battle (as past experience indicates I would)...I simply elected to have the unit repaired under warranty. The technician replaced the whole light engine. Unfortunately after he left (same day) the unit exhibited the same problem....only worse!!

I have now sought a refund (5 failures in just over a year is enough). I am pretty certain that this is within my rights...but it will be a long battle.

Harvey Norman have washed their hands of it. Despite their obligations here, they simply defer to Toshiba (I find DSE much better to deal with when you have problem). Toshiba have indicated they will only repair the unit....I am not entitled to a refund ... apparently 5 failures is not enough. The other excuse was that I should expect to need the unit service / globe changed every 6 months (at $500 a pop that is a worry!!). I've been told by various people there is no problem with the globes (and all of this despite the US website admitting the problem and extending globe warranty to over a year!!)

So it look as though I am off to VCAT to get the matter resolved since I consider this a breach of the Trade Practices and Fair Trading Acts (goods not of merchantable quality. I am pretty sure that there is some misleading and deceptive conduct issues with some of the players here.

Can only urge other people experiencing problems like this to assert their rights.

:angry:

To all of those who've taken interest in this:

Toshiba finally came to the party on this issue and made me an offer to settle the matter which I think was fair and reasonable...so the matter is now settled.

Cheers

Hello there allanjohn,

The total cost to get it ISF calibrated from Aaron was $370. This included a 3 1/2 hour on-site calibration which was both very thorough and provided superb results.

Aaron was also at our disposal for any questions we might have had, and the very next day, a full report of the calibration, with information about settings etc was sent to us via e-mail .... all in all, an excellent service and one I'm happy to recommend without reservation.

Also as a sidenote, and giving credit where it is deserved, I must also commend Jonathon from CASTEL, who really went above and beyond in his efforts to get this situation sorted out.

He was both understanding & very helpful, and produced an expedient solution to the above situation which resulted in a tech coming out and replacing the blown lamp.

I confess to being a bit leery about lamp-life on these sets, but I guess time will tell, and with the defective bulb gone, and one of the (hopefully) new lamps installed, I'm back to a trouble-free viewing with a spectacular picture ... I just hope this lasts longer than a month this time, or 2, or 6 or ... :unsure:

Cheers,

Dave

Hi do you know what Aaron did for the calibration?? or have his contact details?? I live in sydney and have my 72cm9ua on ebay right now

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd bring this old thread back from the grave for the hell of it :)

I've still got my 62CM9UA and she's been running like a dream since I got it...~years ago now?

I've had ONE problem with it and that's: VERY occasionally (at most, once a week), when turning the screen on, the fan wouldn't start up and the orange LED would flash, not bringing any picture up. A quick turn off/on at the wall would fix this issue.

I just checked my service menu and it seems that: TIME: 004615 (LAMP: 006079).

I'm still extremely happy with the picture it produces from my HTPC but I think the picture it produces may just be dulling up a tad; might just be time for a new lamp.

Those D95-LMP's from America do the trick? or do the D95-LMP's differ from the D95-LMA's?

Thanks,

KLoNe

I still miss my 72" Tosh but mine was one of the ones with the diagonal shadows that they couldn't seem to fix.

Glad to see you are still happy with yours. Presumably you don't notice the rainbow effect?

Probably would have swapped for a 70" SXRD as well if I had the chance, but yes, I am still incredibly happy with my TV (considering I'm an absolute nazi with technology).

Nice presumption pietro. I either don't notice it or it doesn't bother me :)

P.S. geez it's been a few years now since we've been in this Toshi sub-forum! ;)

Bring back the old Toshi 57” CRT, that was a fine TV for its time.

Bring back the old Toshi 57” CRT, that was a fine TV for its time.

I have one in my spare room which I keep for emergencies. I even tried to give it away and there were no takers. When you say it's as big as a piano people lose interest.

My 72" Tosh is still going strong - lamp must be over 8000 hours and still nice and bright.

I also had the diagonal line fault but that was fixed with a new OB I recall.

Damn, all the old players are back. Now how the hell do we get some of the new Mitsubisho Laser sets over here? ;)

Owen: Yeah, I had daily checks of your 57" (Wasn't it a Hitachi?) upgrades - spraypainting the inside of the enclosure. Good times.

This is a REALLY long shot, but thought I'd ask here.

(To make it easier, I have just copy/pasted the email I sent to Toshiba support)

Hello Toshiba Service Centre staff,

I have a Toshiba 62CM9UA rear projection set which, since last night, is not turning on.

In the last week I have seen dimming in the lamp & was about to get a replacement lamp & housing but now am unsure if a lamp replacement would be the best fit.

I have tired unplugging the set for an hour then replacing and also leaving the set unplugged overnight before replacing and the same outcome occurred:

Upon replacement of the plug and switching on, fan & colour wheel sound like they are starting correctly (with ORANGE light blinking continuously at 0.5s intervals and BLUE light is ON (SOLID)) then the set will reset – this happens EIGHT times before the set stops trying to turn on and the lights ORANGE & BLUE blink continually at 0.5s.

Do you have any guidance on what should be done?

Many thanks.

----------

Any ideas guys?

Cheers.

This is a REALLY long shot, but thought I'd ask here.

(To make it easier, I have just copy/pasted the email I sent to Toshiba support)

Hello Toshiba Service Centre staff,

I have a Toshiba 62CM9UA rear projection set which, since last night, is not turning on.

In the last week I have seen dimming in the lamp & was about to get a replacement lamp & housing but now am unsure if a lamp replacement would be the best fit.

I have tired unplugging the set for an hour then replacing and also leaving the set unplugged overnight before replacing and the same outcome occurred:

Upon replacement of the plug and switching on, fan & colour wheel sound like they are starting correctly (with ORANGE light blinking continuously at 0.5s intervals and BLUE light is ON (SOLID)) then the set will reset – this happens EIGHT times before the set stops trying to turn on and the lights ORANGE & BLUE blink continually at 0.5s.

Do you have any guidance on what should be done?

Many thanks.

----------

Any ideas guys?

Cheers.

Well I had the same symptoms on my 72" Tosh last Friday. So I ordered a lamp for $190 from this PureGlare company. It arrived today and installed it and I'm back up and running.... yeah!

Lamp looks ok, but time will tell I guess.

I'm impressed with the life on the old lamp. From the service menu I see I got 10,400 hours!

Wow, cant complain about that mate, I thought I was going well with 5000 hours and counting on my Sony. You must watch a lot of TV.

Wow, cant complain about that mate, I thought I was going well with 5000 hours and counting on my Sony. You must watch a lot of TV.

Yeah it's been trusty and reliable family workhorse :D

What is also surprising is that after 5 years there is still no affordable replacement :huh:

Hi guys; I've finally come to a roadblock with my TV. Hopefully someone can help or give me some ideas...

I have a 62CM9UA 62” Toshiba DLP rear projection television (Australian model) which has stopped working for a few months now.

The first lamp died at the end of last year after about 8000hrs and replaced with a genuine Toshiba lamp & housing which worked flawlessly for another 4-5months.

This is where we’re at now. Without testing anything, I thought it was just another lamp gone; ordered another and tried it out – no dice. After reading up a little about the status LEDs, it looked like it was a (as the manual states) an ‘ABNORMAL OPERATION OF BUS LINE’. Believing that this may be related to the televisions power supply, I found some info about the Toshiba’s ballast unit dying. I ordered the part, installed tonight and still no joy.

What I have noticed is that, on normal operation, there are 2 fans starting up with a higher than normal rpm then settling down to a nominal rpm after start-up; during this troubleshooting process, you cannot hear the two fans (or at least the start-up faster rpm) running. The fan cooling the lamp is working, but tomorrow I will check if the ballast cooling fan is operating properly.

Is there anything else you think I should look for?

Many thanks.