Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

Out of interest - how does the line look when watching B&W material (especially noisey old B&W) ??

My 57vw9ua (crt based) has a line issue, its fairly not visible for normal colour viewing, but I was watching an old dr.who dvd (earth invasion of the daleks) which is an extremily shitty/noisey quality B&W (its pretty old LOL) but what I noticed was the line issue was MUCH MUCH worse and EASILY visible 90% of the time when watching this sort of material..

Cheers,

Bitey

Bitey, the screen needs to be predominately the one colour (of the right shade) in the area where the line occurs (e.g. bottom right corner) as soon as you have different colours, particularly of different intensities, it will not be visible. It does not have to be colour of course as I find that certain grey shades also show the anomaly e.g. 20 or 40% field test patterns on DVE.

But alas we are drifting off topic........................

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flip, glad you like the new set, I hope the price was right for the refurb and that you still have the full 2yr warranty. The noise you can hear (I am pretty sure) is the colour wheel and a couple of us have noticed that it appears to get a bit quieter over time and of course it depends on how close you are as to whether you notice it much. Also make sure you do not place the set to close to the wall behind it as the air exhausting from the back of the set is quite warm.

Re your colour settings, I used DVE to set my 62" up with the following resultant settings:

Brightness 67

Contrast: 52 (did not make much difference moving it around the 50 - 58 range anyway)

colour: 38

tint: 0

black stretch: on

picture: standard

Try this out as you will find that the colour will be much better saturated and the black levels should be pretty spot on.

BTW I was sorry to read that you could see the diagonal line, I assume you saw it on your DVD blue screen and it is in the bottom right corner, out of interest is it a dark or light shade?

Thanks for the reply. I had a bunch of colour settings off this thread, but yours seem good to my eye. I was going to get the DVE DVD, but as there don't seem to be too many adjustments available on the Toshiba, I am probably just as well off using these.

I gather by picture standard you mean Colour Temp = standard?

The diagonal line is very hard to pick. It is dark. If I get up close I can't see it. It is more visible at a reasonable distance square on horiz and vert. If I move much at all off square it disappears. It is only visible on the blue screen on inputs with no signal. It goes up a fair way. I have seen the photos posted a while back, and it is much the same angle etc.

If it was part of the projection it would surely be more visible up closer. So perhaps it is a flaw in the prjection surface. Its hard to be sure with all the light blitzing your eyes, but I think there is a very vague diag line on the other side as well.

I just looked across from my PC (at around a 15 degree angle to the set, and I can see parallel lines that are very broad, dark light, dark in the centre, light then probably dark on the other side (too slight an angle to tell). So it seems it could just be refraction of a not perfectly flat surface.

I can hear two noises. One is clearly the fan, as it runs after the set is off (on standby cooling down), the other one is a different tone, and as you suggest, probably the colour wheel.

In my opinion, and I am pretty fussy, neither the diag line/s or wheel/fan noises are a problem as they are not perceptible during normal viewing.

I got the 2 year warranty.

Cheers,

Flip

Thanks for the reply. I had a bunch of colour settings off this thread, but yours seem good to my eye. I was going to get the DVE DVD, but as there don't seem to be too many adjustments available on the Toshiba, I am probably just as well off using these.

I gather by picture standard you mean Colour Temp = standard?

The diagonal line is very hard to pick. It is dark. If I get up close I can't see it. It is more visible at a reasonable distance square on horiz and vert. If I move much at all off square it disappears. It is only visible on the blue screen on inputs with no signal. It goes up a fair way. I have seen the photos posted a while back, and it is much the same angle etc.

If it was part of the projection it would surely be more visible up closer. So perhaps it is a flaw in the prjection surface. Its hard to be sure with all the light blitzing your eyes, but I think there is a very vague diag line on the other side as well.

I just looked across from my PC (at around a 15 degree angle to the set, and I can see parallel lines that are very broad, dark light, dark in the centre, light then probably dark on the other side (too slight an angle to tell). So it seems it could just be refraction of a not perfectly flat surface.

I can hear two noises. One is clearly the fan, as it runs after the set is off (on standby cooling down), the other one is a different tone, and as you suggest, probably the colour wheel.

In my opinion, and I am pretty fussy, neither the diag line/s or wheel/fan noises are a problem as they are not perceptible during normal viewing.

I got the 2 year warranty.

Cheers,

Flip

Flip

The reason the line dissapears when you are not square on horz and vert is probably that you are not viewig the screen at the optimal position (the same reason the normal picture also degrades when viewing off axis).

Yes I did mean colour temp = standard as the default I think is cool (no idea why) and if you havn't already done so, make sure you use the low power setting on the lamp to extend its life.

Glad to hear about the warranty too.

BTW DVE is also useful for the audio tones to set up your AVR.

My theory about the diagonal line (which on mine looks like a shadow) is that on some sets (due to an assembly fault???) there is something blocking the light path that causes it.

I'm happy to accept that I'm probably totally wrong. Castel is prepared to replace the light engine to try to remove the line.

Pietro, good to see you back!

G'day again, all....................

Haven't posted for a while - been too busy sitting on my fat arse enjoying my new 62CM9UA! What a ripper it is.

Some time ago there was a fair bit of talk about people considering getting Aaron from Avical in to calibrate their 72CM9UA's. Did anyone ever actually do it?

Even though I'm very happy with the setup I've achieved on my unit, I'm always open to the suggestion that it could be made better by a bloke with the skills and equipment.

Would love to hear of anyone's experiences with Aaron or anyone else in the same field.

G'day again, all....................

Haven't posted for a while - been too busy sitting on my fat arse enjoying my new 62CM9UA! What a ripper it is.

Some time ago there was a fair bit of talk about people considering getting Aaron from Avical in to calibrate their 72CM9UA's. Did anyone ever actually do it?

Even though I'm very happy with the setup I've achieved on my unit, I'm always open to the suggestion that it could be made better by a bloke with the skills and equipment.

Would love to hear of anyone's experiences with Aaron or anyone else in the same field.

Sparky66 had his older model 62" done and highly recommends it as the colour temp is not correct x factory and I believe the same is the case for our models.

My theory about the diagonal line (which on mine looks like a shadow) is that on some sets (due to an assembly fault???) there is something blocking the light path that causes it.

I'm happy to accept that I'm probably totally wrong. Castel is prepared to replace the light engine to try to remove the line.

Pietro

I've had my 72 since late May and I still am awed by the PQ. Mine did the lamp in at 2 months - no probs replaced under warranty. Over the last fortnight I have noticed the dreaded dark line from the top RH corner of the screen - very evident on blue backgrounds as a darker shadow. I have also noticed a similar line from the bottom RH corner - this one is more evident on cream to yellow back ground colours. I am interested in your comments regarding Castel wanting to replace the light engine - can you keep us updated as I suspect the lines are caused by system degradation as they have only recently appeared. I also have what I consider excessive fan noise - a loud hum that can be heard above the general viewing noise. :blink:

Please keep us updated

Cheers

Python

Pietro

I've had my 72 since late May and I still am awed by the PQ. Mine did the lamp in at 2 months - no probs replaced under warranty. Over the last fortnight I have noticed the dreaded dark line from the top RH corner of the screen - very evident on blue backgrounds as a darker shadow. I have also noticed a similar line from the bottom RH corner - this one is more evident on cream to yellow back ground colours. I am interested in your comments regarding Castel wanting to replace the light engine - can you keep us updated as I suspect the lines are caused by system degradation as they have only recently appeared. I also have what I consider excessive fan noise - a loud hum that can be heard above the general viewing noise. :D

Please keep us updated

Cheers

Python

Python,

I've noticed the diagonal RH corner line as well, however, only with a grey background, and it doesn't bother me at this stage.

I've also have the humming fault as well. I had the colour wheel replaced after having the set for a few weeks and it appeared to resolve the issue, however, I'm still getting the humming intermittently and it varies in pitch and volume, and can be quite annoying at times. I've logged another call with Castle and the service dude said this was unusual and he'll come out and replace the colour wheel again. Hmmmmmm :blink:

If this doesn't resolve the fault I may start thinking about trying to get a refund (the diagonal line issue and bulb failure issue add support to this line of thinking) ..... and then wait for the SXRD.

Huong

A good quality Leadtek 7800GT can be had for $445, so don’t much around with lesser cards.

Owen- what are you basing the assumption on that you need to pay so much for a video card.

I understand it if you are going to use the card for gaming on the big screen, as you need a lot of herbs to drive 1080 lines, but most video is 2D work, and with the high-end cards you are really paying for its 3D capabilities, the ability to visualise and render 3D models of things realistically and in real time. Shader engines, vertex processors, graphics pipelines etc etc etc

So, a $99 Nvidia 6200 card may be enough for most people.

I'm asking for your experience, or other information you may have about how/why the higher end cards are useful. My experience and reading on the web is that for Linux HTPCs (I run mythtv), pretty much any card except ATI is "good enough" (though some card's 2D acceleration can be used to help the deinterlacing).

Maybe we can continue a discussion in the HTPC section?

Owen- what are you basing the assumption on that you need to pay so much for a video card.

I understand it if you are going to use the card for gaming on the big screen, as you need a lot of herbs to drive 1080 lines, but most video is 2D work, and with the high-end cards you are really paying for its 3D capabilities, the ability to visualise and render 3D models of things realistically and in real time. Shader engines, vertex processors, graphics pipelines etc etc etc

I'm asking for your experience, or other information you may have about how/why the higher end cards are useful. My experience and reading on the web is that for Linux HTPCs (I run mythtv), pretty much any card except ATI is "good enough" (though some card's 2D acceleration can be used to help the deinterlacing).

I had a $99 Nvidia Card running in my HTPC and I found that in High Definition TV the image was not 100% smooth and often the card couldn't keep up. After installing the 7800GT I found that the speed of the image was materially better and didn't have any speed issues. I also found the quality of the picture was better. Although I don't understand why (I was using DVI on both), it just was. I also found my Windows desktop was just sharper and better than the cheaper card. Again, I don't know why, but it was. For me, I do occasionally play games on the 72" Toshi (why wouldn't you) and having the horsepower of the 7800GT was certainly nice.

Just my two cents !

I have been discussing this issue in this thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=482538

If you use a 1920x1080 display and watch 1080i content, you need a good card, and I speak from personal experiance.

If you are just watching digital TV on a lower resolution display in Overlay mode, almost any card will do.

I have been discussing this issue in this thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=482538

If you use a 1920x1080 display and watch 1080i content, you need a good card, and I speak from personal experiance.

If you are just watching digital TV on a lower resolution display in Overlay mode, almost any card will do.

As Owen also knows well, if you've been through as many HTPC upgrades as I have over the past 3 years, you'll quickly understand the importance of both GPU and CPU power to drive HDTV resolutions. Even more so if you use HD .TS files and to a lesser degree H264 encoded files with software decoding. Not to mention any decent attempt at HTPC is going to involve using some filtering software like FFDShow, avisynth, etc for DVD playback all of which require decent levels of grunt to run, especially at 1080i or p.

Hey, any of you guys got the Harmony Remote (880) working with the Toshiba ? I can't get it to send the right instructions to the screen. Even if I record the IR codes from the Toshiba remote manually, some of the important ones don't work properly. For example, the up arrow and down arrows don't correctly record.

Its frustrating cause I can't automate my TV switching !!!!!

Thanks,

Paul

Hi All,

I have the 62" Toshi, and although I love the TV I've had pretty much all of the problems that you can have - and still have them.

Originally I had a faulty set, half of the TV had lines across it. This was promptly replaced by Toshi, had to wait a week without a TV though.

The new set was great and ran flawlessly for 2 months, then I started to get this strange flickering shadow when the TV was turned on (A little like a moth flying in front of the lamp). This lasted for several minutes and eventually went away. I also noticed the diagonal shadow from each corner.

I called Castel and they referred me to a local repairer, they picked up the TV and took over a week to replace the Lamp / test the TV. (Another week with no telly).

The TV was fine for a few weeks, then the moth & diagonal lines are back. I'm not sure what to do at this point, has anyone had any luck resolving either of these issues so I can point Castel / the repairers in the right direction? If the units are basically faulty and there is no fix, what are my chances of getting a refund? I purchased the TV in June.

I'm not keen on sending the TV back to the repairer and being without a TV for a week with no gaurantee that the problem will not return.

Ben

Hi All,

I have the 62" Toshi, and although I love the TV I've had pretty much all of the problems that you can have - and still have them...

Ben

Bit of an update on this. Spoke with a tech from Castel who didn't fill me with hope.

1. The moth effect. This apparently is very rare, and the suggested fix is replacing the lamp. I did this however and the problem remains.

2. The diagonal shadows. This one is more common and they have replaced the light engine on a few of these. It fixed some, didn't fix others - so no gauranteed fix at this stage.

They are in talks with Toshiba about a resolution for both issues and told me to call back in 3 weeks. Perhaps a recall is pending? Not happy, but will wait 3 weeks. If they still have no answers I may be demanding a refund.

Also, I'd be interested to know if both of these problems are apparent on both the 62" and 72" or unique to just the 62".

Ben.

Don't know about the moth effect but the shadows are on both sizes. I just received a replacement 72" (batch 63x......) and in the daylight at least there seems to be no sign of the shadows. (which on mine were brom the bottom right and left) Also the colour-wheel noise seems very low.

Has anyone actually obtained a refund I wonder. Castel has been fantastic but not sure how they would be if a refund was requested.

Don't know about the moth effect but the shadows are on both sizes. I just received a replacement 72" (batch 63x......) and in the daylight at least there seems to be no sign of the shadows. (which on mine were brom the bottom right and left) Also the colour-wheel noise seems very low.

Has anyone actually obtained a refund I wonder. Castel has been fantastic but not sure how they would be if a refund was requested.

Can you tell me more about batch 63x. How do you tell what batch your TV is - and have they stated that the latest batches included any improvements / fixes?

Unfortunately I have no idea what the batch no. signify, though there did seem to be problems with batch 69x. The no. is at the back of the set near all the inputs.

Whether 63x is newer or older is anyone's guess. Castel have made no comment about batch nos. to my knowledge. Though I'm sure the replacemet is a new set, not a rebuilt one.

Interesting.. found this on the US and Canada Toshi sites. Is the 50HM66 or 56HM66 similar to the 62CM9UA?

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-ima...hm66_56hm66.asp

To ensure the satisfaction of our customers and to maintain the integrity and quality of our products, Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. is issuing a product update regarding the 50HM66 and 56HM66 DLP televisions.

Toshiba is committed to customer service and to continuously improving the quality of its products. Accordingly, we are advising you that in a limited number of 50HM66 and 56HM66 DLP TVs, a diagonal shadow may develop at the top of the screen after a number of hours of use (see example below). This results from a flawed light engine provided to Toshiba by a third party component supplier. If you own either a 50HM66 or a 56HM66, please enter your serial number in the box below to determine if your particular DLP television qualifies for a light engine replacement. The serial number can be located on the back panel of the television. Be assured that Toshiba DLP televisions are of the highest quality and this update regards a limited issue. This is not a safety issue.

[EDIT] - Actually looks like a different issue after reviewing the Image. The diagonal shadow is from the top, whereas the one we are discussing is from the corners towards the center.

Sorry to hear the continued and (in light of this 'moth' effect) increasing problems with this set, as it looked so promising at the start.

For those of you, as some have indicated, that are interested in pursuing a refund/credit, there is a big (62+ page) thread on the LG MW60; and a few months back I posted some brief thoughts on a possibility of forcing a refund/credit of that set under the consumer protection provisions of the TPA. This proved to be unecessary in my case as LG, to their credit, came to the party without even mentioning this, however some of the arguments/points may be applicable to this situation, so it may be worth a look.

But anyway, for those interested, the discussion occurs around p53, with a very brief summation at post#1045 (though most of that post relates to my actual discussion with LG). http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=125&st=1040

Sorry to hear the continued and (in light of this 'moth' effect) increasing problems with this set, as it looked so promising at the start.

To top things off - my replacement bulb blew today. Running time, a massive 3 weeks :blink:

Does all Toshiba AV equipment buzz ??

I gave up on Toshiba service trying to solve the buzzing noise problem with my 72" DLP and decided to place a sheet of acoustic foam (from Clark Rubber) behind the unit, and it does a good job at reducing the buzz to the point where it now doesn't bother me.

Today I finally got around to setting up the bonus Toshiba SD-63HK DVD Home Cinema Kit you can get with the DLP in the bedroom.I plugged in the AMP/Bass unit and the thing started buzzing!! Is this normal?

As with the DLP it's a nice unit let down by a few annoying flaws.

BTW I also have the diagonal line problem and will log a fault with Castel next week. Once I noticed it, it became annoynig.