Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

-'s

No discrete on/off

Are you sure there was no discrete on/off? Just because the remote didn't have one doesn't mean the remote code doesn't exist. I've done some remote hacking via JP1 and OneForAll remotes and have discovered commands not implemented on the supplied remote.

Of course, it might not be there...

My personal HATE is when there are no discrete Input selects, and you are expected to know what AV mode the TV is in, then send virtual "cursor move" commands to get to the right AV input. Are you listening Palsonic?

Turning the set on/off is a lot easier to teach one's non-home theatre partner than trying to make a macro command sequence that does the multiple cursor move sequences so that my wife can just press the "play DVD" macro key and everything sets itself up to play DVDs. I'd take a device with no discrete on/off but with discrete AV input select funtions any day over the reverse!

I really think the manufacturers don't think we will pair up their big sets with home theatre setups, cos the remote commands are so often toggles or require on-screen cursor moves, which make it near impossible for us to integrate the equipment.

Cheers,

Indulis :blink:

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Toshiba 72” and LG LCOS 71” side by side at Harvey Norman , Chadston ( Melbourne). On dark scenes , LG show more details than Toshiba. In my view, LG picture quality looks better

That makes perfect sense.

LCoS-SXRD technology has the best shadow detail of any digital display.

I have not seen the big LG, and there is no overseas feedback, but it certainly has potential to be a good thing, and in several ways better then the Toshi DLP.

Are you sure there was no discrete on/off? Just because the remote didn't have one doesn't mean the remote code doesn't exist. I've done some remote hacking via JP1 and OneForAll remotes and have discovered commands not implemented on the supplied remote.

No, I'm not sure :blink:

I also only asked him about on/off discretes, not av inputs. He had the remote control, and I was more interested in the screen quality than the remote in the 25 minutes I was there before closing.

Aiming to go back though and have a peek in the daytime.

But the owner of the store seemed quite knowledgeable, and said that he had complained to toshiba (Castel) about the probelm because a number of his buyers wanted these codes and could not implement them. He seems to sell rather a lot of these Toshiba DLP screens!

This seemed to be a problem with all the Toshiba products from what he was saying ?? :P

J.

The Toshiba DLP is not quite up there with the Sony SXRD, but it should still be damn good, and the only RPTV worth looking at in Oz at the moment.

what are you basing this statement on ? I have not yet seen any comparison review of the Sony and the Toshiba ?

Spend some time over on the AVS Forum mate.

The Toshiba, Samsung, Mistubishi and HP 1080p DLP sets have been on sale in the US for about 6 months now.

The Sony SXRD’s are superior to any DLP RPTV, and that is pretty much unanimous amongst people that have seen them.

No dither noise, better shadow detail, no rainbows and apparently better deinterlacing and video processing as well.

That’s why I am waiting for the 70” SXRD, hopefully available in November.

I don’t care if it costs more then the DLP sets. I won’t even consider the Toshiba or LG until I have evaluated the Sony.

If the Sony does not cut it with me for some reason, then my next choice will probably be the 65” 1080p Panasonic Plasma.

Suggest you invest in a SUPERBIT DVD, they are DVDs that have had all the extras removed, and the extra storage space is used for extra video bandwidth. I have The Fifth Element and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and they are both exceptional quality, remastered by people who cared!

Cheers,

Indulis

You think the superbit version of Fifth Element looks good, wait until you see the 1080i version.

Man, DVD is NEVER the same again, after you have seen good 1080i on a full 1080 display. :blink:

You think the superbit version of Fifth Element looks good, wait until you see the 1080i version.

Man, DVD is NEVER the same again, after you have seen good 1080i on a full 1080 display. :blink:

Does this mean you have seen the Fifth Element in 1080i or are you just commenting on how significant the improvement will be going from Superbit DVD to HD DVD/Blue Ray or some other hardware capable of 1080i?

Hey Paul C100, I am very serious about getting the Toshiba 62 or 72inch as soon as my TV unit arrives in 4-5 weeks. Now that you have been viewing the set for a good amount of time, have you seen any false contouring (im not sure if that this is what its called). I noticed it when comparing the JVC and the TOSHI side by side. The only thing that I noticed about the Toshi was occasionaly the screen had a small distortion when light gradually turned into a darker area. eg. when watching the tones of blue in the sky go from light to darker and sometimes I noticed the skin on peoples faces somehow distort with movement. Is this called "clay faces"? I was watching a SD show through a Toshiba HD STB with HDMI running to the Toshi and component to the JVC. I didnt see any of these distortions on the JVC. If anyone else can give some first hand info on this subject I would be greatfull as $7000 is a lot of money for a TV and I want to get it right.

Set turned up today. Looks pretty good :P

Anyone know how to get into the Service Menu yet?

The sequence or the American model doesn't work, and I have yet to hear back from HCSD about the service manual.

Edit: Looks like Toshiba wont help out HCSD with the service manuals anymore :blink:

Hey guys,

Set is really nice, but I've only had DVD's and my computer hooked up over Component atm. HDMI-DVI cable should turn up tomorrow.

Colours are fantastic and clarity is really nice. Haven't had too much time to play around with it, but will try and answer questions where I can, althought I'm still a n00b in the HDTV area :|

I visited HN Chadstone today to see the Toshiba 72".

HN have the Toshiba next to the LG LCoS. IMO, the LG picture looked slightly better than the Toshiba.

They have the 72" Toshiba on sale for $6978 inc stand and 5 years warranty under their 0% finance facility. I asked for a better price and was told $6500 inc stand + 5 yr warranty inc delivery for cash.

So although the picture quality might be in favor of the LG, the Toshiba wins on price in my book.

Nev

I can't believe the difference and the apparent lack of effort of the retailer to show off a $7000 Tv to the best of it's capability. As just prieviously mentioned, I spent some time comparing the Toshi to the JVC side by side. Today I went down to JB @ Stafford (Brisy store) and I could not believe how poor the picture was compared to the HN SD free to air transmission. They were playing Charlie and th chocolate factory through a Yamaha DVD (not sure of cabling) and it looked wowfull!! They had,nt even chose the correct aspect ratio on the Player or set? because all the Umpalumpas were 2 foot instead of 4. :blink: I also noted that the images from this movie were extremely soft especialy skin texture. Maybe they have such a turnover of stock that they dont care for the few that actualy can see these faults (obvious to us) and sell as per there monthly quota's??? I do'nt want to condem all sales people and I want to commend one particular guy at HN Aspley for his knowledge and helpfullness with Demoing of the Toshi & JVC as he was very easy to get along with and knew what he was talking about. He was very profesional and did not bag any one product or opposition and just pointed out facts and the pros/Cons of each TV. I think I will take a couple of DVD's to HN/ Clive Peters or Anthony (whatever) and view the LG,JVC, TOSHI on the same day and buy on that day. I might even take my DVD player to make sure the stakes are at an even. Anal??? yeh maybe but I dont buy a TV of this price too often and we all know how a particular set can be grossly missrepresented by a poor retailers set up. I might just go to Sunnybank and save a lot of time.

Guest Sparky66
I'm not totaly sure but I think they can arrange delivery from the wholesaler down there in Melbourne

Given that all the Toshiba monitors come directly via the Toshiba distributor-Castel in Melbourne, NevB lives in the best possible location for swift hassle free delivery.

Klone...Let us know how you go hooking it up to your computer over HDMi.

cheers

Ok. Back into it.

DVI-HDMI Cable turned up yesterday, along with my new GFX card: X1900XT (OC'd to X1900XTX and then some :P ).

Straight up. ATI drivers are just terrible compared the the easy to use nVidia ones. ATI is just a pain to setup.

After awhile, I had the vid card spitting out a 1080i image to the Toshi, and yeah, it does look REALLY nice. A much clearer picture then on my Hitachi 47" CRT Rear Pro.

But.... Got some problems.

Is there a good way of doing custom resolutions with the ATI card (first time ATI user)? I've ended up getting PowerStrip and trying that, but whenever trying to run 1808x1017 or 1840x1035 on the Toshi, the screen just goes black (remembering, these resolutions worked fine on the 7800GTX)

Does anyone have any help for me? :blink:

MANY thanks,

Chris