Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

I have only seen the 71” under less then ideal circumstances, but it looked promising.

It’s probably the best big screen on the market at this time, but I am waiting for the Sony SXRD.

When it is available, I will do a detailed comparison with the Toshi DLP.

My money is on the Sony.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only seen the 71” under less then ideal circumstances, but it looked promising.

It’s probably the best big screen on the market at this time, but I am waiting for the Sony SXRD.

My money is on the Sony.

I thought that would be that case, the only problem is the waiting for the Sony part :blink:

My money is on the Sony.

When is the Sony due out??

After a very lengthy review process and considerable research and deliberation, I have now purchased the Toshiba 72CM9UA, the 72 inch 1080p DLP rear projection TV.

Before I do the review, let me provide some pricing info for those interested :

Harvey Norman Liverpool will offer the following prices (for now at least) :

72 inch - $7100 + $200 for 5 year extended warranty (RRP $8499)

62 inch - $5000 + $250 for 5 year extended warranty (RRP $6499)

Thats just an incredible price for a 62" 1080p tv thats as good as this Toshiba is!

I think i've found my new TV!

Hope i can get one in Adelaide for that money!

Wags

Does anyone know what's the BEST price in WA is ?? I've rang around and the best I've got is about $5600-5700!!!

I got a price of $5500 from Bunbury Hi-Fi - can't remember the name of the guy that I spoke to, however they are a direct dealer for Castel and only stock the best gear.

Cheers :blink:

I got a price of $5500 from Bunbury Hi-Fi - can't remember the name of the guy that I spoke to, however they are a direct dealer for Castel and only stock the best gear.

Cheers :blink:

Thanks!! That's still $600 more than what they're paying in the Eastern States .. maybe it's worth while to get it shipped over.

Toshiba 72" Update

----------------------

Just installed the TV today. Spent about 60 minutes watching it on different things. In summary, I am upset that I spent so long in buying this TV. The four weeks I waited could have increased my viewing experience by four weeks ! This TV is simply the best .. Full Stop ..

Just answering some of the questions that have been raised since I started this thread and the questions that were important to me :

Test Equipmetnt

--------------------

Played Star Wars Episode 4 off a DVD from a Palsonic DVD recorder via component output using cheap component cables.

Contrast / Blacks

--------------------

Wow, wow, wow. The blacks are truley black. The opening scene with the moon and the stars above showed the level of contrast possible. The moon was bright and the night sky was black with the stars a bright white. I have to say, that I have never seen Star Wars in this level of detail. It was amazing. I love black blacks. This was as black as the new Panasonic 500A plasma that has amazing contrast. The Toshiba was at least as good as far as I could see.

Rainbow Effect

--------------------

None seen so far. Not expecting too though

Internal Upscaling

--------------------

I was watching regular DVDs from a pretty ordinary player on pretty ordinary cables. The picture quality was very sharp and the definition was clear. On good displays I notice the lines on faces. You could certainly see that on this TV. So in my opinion, very happy with this.

Colours

--------------------

The colours were all very bright. I didn't notice any problems with colours. Again, on Star Wars, the colours stood out against the backgrounds very nicely. Can't complain about that.

Sound

--------------------

Not that we really care about this, cause most of us will run through a dedicated HT amp, but in order to get up and running quickly, I plugged into the line ins. The sound was good and spacial. Good base considering the speakers are TV speakers. Can't really complain.

So, so far, its amazing .. I have yet to test the HDMI inputs, and run 1080i HD TV into it .. I will do that tomorrow hopefully .. That is going to blow me away ...

My recommendation. Go buy one of these puppies, either the 61 or the 72 .. You can NOT go wrong .. This is easily the best screen on the market at the moment in my opinion .. Further more, if you are not planing on hanging your Plasma on the wall, you might consider this RPTV instead .. its the same price at a 50 inch plasma and in my opionion, the picture is better (in 1080i) than the Panasonic plasma.

Finally found a place in WA that's willing to sell the 62” unit for $5300, including stand.

Anyway, I connected my HTPC to the 72" that’s on display at West Coast Hi-Fi , but couldn't get 1080p to display properly. Even when feeding 1080i signal to the TV, the picture appears to be "interlaced" and jaggy. I thought the TV would interpolate the 1080i signal and turn it into 1080p !!??

In 720p the picture quality is AMAZING !! Although it appears to be pixilated at close range (0.5-1.5m). But at about the >3m onward the picture quality is just astounding. Black is BLACK !!! My HTPC connected to the Sharp Aquos 45” LCD running at 1080p without a problem, so I was wondering if this is an issue with the Toshiba not accepting 1080p input ??

I also connected my HTPC to the Panasonic 50" plasma. I have to say the Toshiba 72" DLP's picture quality is better than the Panasonic 50" Plasma.

Finally found a place in WA that's willing to sell the 62” unit for $5300, including stand.

Anyway, I connected my HTPC to the 72" that’s on display at West Coast Hi-Fi , but couldn't get 1080p to display properly. Even when feeding 1080i signal to the TV, the picture appears to be "interlaced" and jaggy. I thought the TV would interpolate the 1080i signal and turn it into 1080p !!??

In 720p the picture quality is AMAZING !! Although it appears to be pixilated at close range (0.5-1.5m). But at about the >3m onward the picture quality is just astounding. Black is BLACK !!! My HTPC connected to the Sharp Aquos 45” LCD running at 1080p without a problem, so I was wondering if this is an issue with the Toshiba not accepting 1080p input ??

I also connected my HTPC to the Panasonic 50" plasma. I have to say the Toshiba 72" DLP's picture quality is better than the Panasonic 50" Plasma.

How did you connect your PC.

Component, HDMI, VGA???

Where you using a full 1920x1080 desktop, and not a custom resolution?

1080i really should work properly if the PC is configured right, although some video cards will have issues.

How did you connect your PC.

Component, HDMI, VGA???

Where you using a full 1920x1080 desktop, and not a custom resolution?

1080i really should work properly if the PC is configured right, although some video cards will have issues.

I connected the TV through my 9600XT using a DVI - HDMI cable. The 9600xt should have enough bandwidth to display these monitors. I’ve set it up with the Apple 30” (2560x1600) without a problem. As I mentioned, I've also connected my PC to the Sharp Aquos 45” LCD and that displayed 1080p without a problem. I suspect the issue might lies with the timing. I’ve got a Samsung 61” LCD at home and in 1080i mode it’s fine, except that the picture is interlaced and flickering of course.

1080i input coming from the computer to the Toshiba is sharp & non-flickering but you can see staircase affect every where. Anyway, I’m heading down there again with Powerstrip to see if I can play around with the timing.

I’ve tried VGA, but that can only go up to 1024x768. At 1280x720 @ 60hz, there’s a green tint and 1080i in VGA won’t display.

The 1920x1080i/p resolution is just an option on the ATI Catalyst 6.2 driver that you can choose to output to the display.

I just found out that there are certain issues currently with ATI Catalyst Driver and the HDMI implementation that is preventing the use of 1080i signals. What happens in almost all of these cases is that the signal will only be 720p, this explained why I got a rock solid image with staircase effect. This is something that is being fixed right now and should be resolved in a future update of the drivers (ATI Catalyst).

The current workaround is to use component cables instead of the HDMI cables or use 720p until a fix is available. Darn I wish I have one of those ATI DVI->Component dongle.

Nvidia video card doesn't have issues with 1080i over HDMI issue to the Toshiba.

Well, might wait for the driver to be fixed or get a new Nvdia card.

Owen have you looked at this Toshiba 72"?

Next time I'm in Melb I will be visiting Castel who have it set up with the J35 via HDMI. If it doesn't look good with that, it never will.

Yes I have seen the 72” Toshi, but not under good enough conditions to make any judgment about it.

The SXRD’s are considered superior by US observers, so I am waiting for them before I bother with any serious evaluation of the Toshi.

I connected the TV through my 9600XT using a DVI - HDMI cable. The 9600xt should have enough bandwidth to display these monitors. I’ve set it up with the Apple 30” (2560x1600) without a problem. As I mentioned, I've also connected my PC to the Sharp Aquos 45” LCD and that displayed 1080p without a problem. I suspect the issue might lies with the timing. I’ve got a Samsung 61” LCD at home and in 1080i mode it’s fine, except that the picture is interlaced and flickering of course.

1080i input coming from the computer to the Toshiba is sharp & non-flickering but you can see staircase affect every where. Anyway, I’m heading down there again with Powerstrip to see if I can play around with the timing.

I’ve tried VGA, but that can only go up to 1024x768. At 1280x720 @ 60hz, there’s a green tint and 1080i in VGA won’t display.

The 1920x1080i/p resolution is just an option on the ATI Catalyst 6.2 driver that you can choose to output to the display.

I just found out that there are certain issues currently with ATI Catalyst Driver and the HDMI implementation that is preventing the use of 1080i signals. What happens in almost all of these cases is that the signal will only be 720p, this explained why I got a rock solid image with staircase effect. This is something that is being fixed right now and should be resolved in a future update of the drivers (ATI Catalyst).

The current workaround is to use component cables instead of the HDMI cables or use 720p until a fix is available. Darn I wish I have one of those ATI DVI->Component dongle.

Nvidia video card doesn't have issues with 1080i over HDMI issue to the Toshiba.

Well, might wait for the driver to be fixed or get a new Nvdia card.

Cool, that sounds more like it.

The Toshi should work great with 1080i, unlike the Samsung, which is obviously using bob deinterlacing with 1080i, hence the flicker.

A progressive display should never show flicker with interlaced sources, if the deinterlacing is any good.

That must be a new model Sharp, as the older models would not accept 1080p, and use BOB deinterlacing for 1080i.

The Radeon is most likely putting out 540p, rather then 720p, in 1080i or 1080p mode.

That would give you significant stepping on edges.

Yes I have seen the 72” Toshi, but not under good enough conditions to make any judgment about it.

The SXRD’s are considered superior by US observers, so I am waiting for them before I bother with any serious evaluation of the Toshi.

Cool, that sounds more like it.

The Toshi should work great with 1080i, unlike the Samsung, which is obviously using bob deinterlacing with 1080i, hence the flicker.

A progressive display should never show flicker with interlaced sources, if the deinterlacing is any good.

That must be a new model Sharp, as the older models would not accept 1080p, and use BOB deinterlacing for 1080i.

The Radeon is most likely putting out 540p, rather then 720p, in 1080i or 1080p mode.

That would give you significant stepping on edges.

Finally got 1080i output to work on the HTPC using the Nvidia 6600GT.

First of all the picture quality of the desktop is not that great. i.e texts are not correctly rendered due to the de-interlacing process I assume. For example, the letter “I” doesn’t look straight, every second line is out of alignment. But that doesn’t seem to affect “video”, so video in 1080i up scaling to 1080p is quite impressive still.

Unlike the Aquos 45” LCD which takes in 1080p input and display computer desktop perfectly.

Hopefully, ATI will fix the 1080i using DVI->HDMI connection to the Toshiba in the future.

Will order my Toshiba 62” DLP TV next week.

Finally got 1080i output to work on the HTPC using the Nvidia 6600GT.

First of all the picture quality of the desktop is not that great. i.e texts are not correctly rendered due to the de-interlacing process I assume. For example, the letter “I” doesn’t look straight, every second line is out of alignment. But that doesn’t seem to affect “video”, so video in 1080i up scaling to 1080p is quite impressive still.

Unlike the Aquos 45” LCD which takes in 1080p input and display computer desktop perfectly.

Hopefully, ATI will fix the 1080i using DVI->HDMI connection to the Toshiba in the future.

My HTPC has an ATI card in it, so it would seem I am not going to be able to get 1080i output straight away. I have been looking at Powerstrip to try and workaround this problem. I am actually very happy with the way the TV upscales SD content (DVD or 720p) so the only application missing for me is to output true 1080i HD TV. For me, the 1080P panel was the major reason I bought this unit (oh and the size ..) .. I really want to setup my HTPC to be a PVR with dual HD tuner cards, but at this time, cause I can't output 1080i via the DVI connectors I'm a bit stuck .. As an interim measure, I've 'borrowed' the LG HD Recorder to see what type of quality I can get. Sadly, this recorder seems to have a number of bugs which makes the HTPC option more appealing to me (i.e. no EPG, problems with dual recordings etc). So I really want to get 1080i from my HTPC into the Toshiba and let it deinterlace from the 1080i to 1080P.

I have one questions.

If I am outputing 1080i via DVI / HDMI (i.e. digital) then why would text etc not display properly on the Toshiba after it's been upscaled. I can understand on an analogue signal, but when the signal is digital all the way, I would have expected the de-interlaced image to show me text quality as good as I could expect on say 720p, but probably better. Am I missing something ? Perhaps this question. Isn't 1080i upscaled to 1080p showing me 1920x1080 resolutional, only at a lower refresh rate ?

Before you do order, it may be worth casting around the forum. A few of us have had or are having problems with both the 52" and the 62". In my case, I originally had issues with the TEAC STB, with the PQ improving after a switch to the LG. A few people still have problems with the TEAC and DVI/HDMI. Then my colour wheel malfunctioned (about two months after purchase) and I'm really not sure that the PQ is as sharp as I remember it at demo. There are some forum members who have had their sets in for repairs mutliple times since purchase and, it seems to me, some unresolved PQ issues. I'm not sure how to get my PQ checked out indpendently - I can hardly call Toshiba and asks them to check it. Any suggestions?

That is not encouraging news guys.

A 1080i desktop output from a HTPC should look the same as 1080p, and that includes text. If it does not, the deinterlacer in the TV is not much good.

There is no excuse for alternat line offsets, flicker of bobbing, reduced vertical resolution etc.

Hopefully this is only a video card problem, and not the fault of the Toshi.

Keep in mind that text at 1920x1080 will be very small compared to 1280x720, so you may need to use a 120dpi desktop in stead of 96dpi.

Large fonts may also be required depending on your viewing distance.

Before you do order, it may be worth casting around the forum. A few of us have had or are having problems with both the 52" and the 62". In my case, I originally had issues with the TEAC STB, with the PQ improving after a switch to the LG. A few people still have problems with the TEAC and DVI/HDMI. Then my colour wheel malfunctioned (about two months after purchase) and I'm really not sure that the PQ is as sharp as I remember it at demo. There are some forum members who have had their sets in for repairs mutliple times since purchase and, it seems to me, some unresolved PQ issues. I'm not sure how to get my PQ checked out indpendently - I can hardly call Toshiba and asks them to check it. Any suggestions?

We are discussing the new 1080p models here, not the old 720p DLP.

They are completely different sets.

So, any more news on the TV after a bit more time spent ?

Cheers,

Muz

Success !!!

I have now solved the 1080i problems with the purchase of a new video card. I now can get 1080i on the Toshiba and I'm pleased to report that its simply stunning. My HTPC is outputing 1920x1080i and the TV is converting it to 1920x1080p.

The windows desktop is very good. The text although not as good as a computer monitor of 1/10th the size but given the size of the screen, I am satisfied with text. Images obviously are breathtaking. As you would expect, there is a massive improvement over my previous LCD RPTV with a native resolution of 1280x768. I am very happy with this purchase and look forward to tweaking the video drivers etc to get even better performance. I am using the standard drivers and standard video codec and the picture quality is great.

The upscaling on the PC seems to be even better than the TV's internal scaling engine. I watched Ice Age (with the kids) last night and I have never seen as much detail in the past.

I have purchased the Gigabyte GeForce 6200 128MB DDR PCI-E TV Out DVI (NX62TC256D8) and am running a DVI to HDMI cable. This replaced my previous ATI card which was designed for HDTV but never really did a good job. The Gigabyte card was only $99.00 so I was happy with the purchase price. The card runs HDTV perfectly and with no problems.

So at this time, I have no remaining complaints with the TV. It does everything that I have wanted it to do and it has exceeded my fairly high expectations in almost every respect.

I still highly recommend this TV to people looking for a genuine true HD display.

I will post more in due course as I get time. Feel free to post any questions and I will do my best to answer.

An Nvidia 6200 will be very marginal with 1080i video mate.

I found a 6600GT worked ok, but going up to a 7800 has been a rewording experience for me.

I should add that I NEVER play games, and the 7800 is in a dedicated HTPC that is only used for video.

It sounds over the top, but you get what you pay for in my experience.

Low end PC’s and video cards can work ok, but never offer the best picture quality or smoothest glitch fee video playback.

Spending an extra $300-$400 on a HTPC is not significant compared to the cost of the display.

An Nvidia 6200 will be very marginal with 1080i video mate.

I found a 6600GT worked ok, but going up to a 7800 has been a rewording experience for me.

I should add that I NEVER play games, and the 7800 is in a dedicated HTPC that is only used for video.

It sounds over the top, but you get what you pay for in my experience.

Low end PC’s and video cards can work ok, but never offer the best picture quality or smoothest glitch fee video playback.

Spending an extra $300-$400 on a HTPC is not significant compared to the cost of the display.

Fair point .. I may consider switching the card . Will do a little more research ..

One problem that I've found is that the TV resolution seems slightly less than the video card .. When I use the native 1920x1080 resolution, the top / bottom and left right are slightly cut off the picture .. The card has an option to rescale to the monitor and it takes about 100 pixels off each side then it works, albeit under a slightly lower resolution ..

This one is slightly strange, so I am not sure where to start looking .. If I ring the supplier, they wil probably say sorry we don't support PC connections at that resolution, blah blah blah ..

Fair point .. I may consider switching the card . Will do a little more research ..

One problem that I've found is that the TV resolution seems slightly less than the video card .. When I use the native 1920x1080 resolution, the top / bottom and left right are slightly cut off the picture .. The card has an option to rescale to the monitor and it takes about 100 pixels off each side then it works, albeit under a slightly lower resolution ..

This one is slightly strange, so I am not sure where to start looking .. If I ring the supplier, they wil probably say sorry we don't support PC connections at that resolution, blah blah blah ..

Sounds like overscan to me. It's quite normal for RPTVs when displaying TV & HDTV resolutions. It's meant to hide any garbage on the edges of the video.

On some RPTVs you can adjust overscan in the service menu, others you can't adjust. My Samsung LCD RPTV falls into the latter category, so much like yourself, I've got to drop the resolution to have the Windows XP desktop fit perfectly into the frame.

I believe Owen has actually physically repositioned the light engine on his CRT RPTV to eliminate overscan.

Cheers,

morkli.