Sign in to follow this  
paul_c100

Toshiba - 72" 1080p DLP RPTV - Details and Price

After a very lengthy review process and considerable research and deliberation, I have now purchased the Toshiba 72CM9UA, the 72 inch 1080p DLP rear projection TV.

Before I do the review, let me provide some pricing info for those interested :

Harvey Norman Liverpool will offer the following prices (for now at least) :

72 inch - $7100 + $200 for 5 year extended warranty (RRP $8499)

62 inch - $5000 + $250 for 5 year extended warranty (RRP $6499)

The best I could find the LG 72 inch LCOS was around $8,000, so the Toshiba is (in my opinion) not only the best on the market, but seemingly the cheapest out of the two. I didn't look at the JVC cause I had read mixed reviews. You need to speak to Lewis at Harvey Norman at Liverpool for these prices. I found most Harvey Normans did not stock or display these models. Liverpool has the 72 inch on display. They even moved it into their cinema room (dark) to demo it so I could see the quality of the contrast and blacks (stunning). I have been watching the thread regarding HN staff quality. Its indeed hit or miss. Lewis is good and knew most of his stuff. He was certainly helpful. I recommend him.

Mini - Review

In my opinion, this is the best RPTV on the market period. The picture quality is stunning, the contrast is best I've seen and again, in my opinion, it exceeds Plasma / LCD picture quality. This statement needs to be qualified. You need to take account of the screen size. When comparing the Toshiba against say a 42 inch or 50 inch plasma, I found the picture quality similar, however, the Toshiba receiving a true high def image was nothing short of spectacular, probably better than any Plasma / LCD I've yet seen.

Couple of technical things to consider. This DLP is a genuine 1920x1080 resolution screen using the xHD4 (1080p) TI light engine. So, unlike traditional DLP / LCD which run at 1280x768 this is a higher definition screen. Having said that, for some bizzare reason that I don't understand, the TV will only accept a 1080i (interlated) feed (component or HDMI) but it upscales it to 1080p. I don't really understand what difference this makes in real life, so I was sceptical about the picture quality until I saw a 1080i show running of a Toshiba HD STB. The picture was stunning. I was only sitting about 1.5 meters from the screen but I couldn't see any grain in the picture at all. It looked like completely solid blocks of colour. The effect was 3D like when looking at the image. I am using a HTPC which will output in 1080i so I can't wait to get this TV home and plug it in. The picture quality should be spectacular.

I am yet to fully test out this TV because it hasn't been delivered yet. However I did spend ages at HN checking it out under all conditions, espcially on dark movies like Star Wars ..

I hope this information is valuable to people. For me, the 1920x1080 resolution was what I was looking for in such a monster screen. It certainly lives up to my expectation.

Details here : Link

Thanks. Looking fwd to your full review. Ive been eying this off (not palning to buy at moment) ...just looking :blink:

I demoed the JVC 72" and the picture was amazing of dvd quality playback (didnt get a chance to see HDTV)

When you do a full review, put it in the review section. Plus pics if you've got them :P

I had expected HDTV on this set to be awesome but I am more interested in how it handles SDTV and DVD (which is what we predominantly watch, at this stage) and also how DivX/XviD results via the HTPC (I like to download a few shows from the USA, which aren't screened here, or screened at odd times). Many HDTVs are unforgiving of lower grade feeds (I thought the big LG LCoS looked terrible when fed 7 SD, even from 5 metres away!).

Looking forward to your review - when do you expect it home?

Thanks. Looking fwd to your full review. Ive been eying this off (not palning to buy at moment) ...just looking :blink:

I demoed the JVC 72" and the picture was amazing of dvd quality playback (didnt get a chance to see HDTV)

When you do a full review, put it in the review section. Plus pics if you've got them :P

The JVC is only a 1280x768 resolution. I understand the picture quality is good but on a screen this size, I didn't think that the lower resolution was the best way to go. eBay has the JVC for $6800 or thereabouts. I thought $7100 for the Toshiba and the higher resolution was better for me .. Just my own opinion though ..

I had expected HDTV on this set to be awesome but I am more interested in how it handles SDTV and DVD (which is what we predominantly watch, at this stage) and also how DivX/XviD results via the HTPC (I like to download a few shows from the USA, which aren't screened here, or screened at odd times). Many HDTVs are unforgiving of lower grade feeds (I thought the big LG LCoS looked terrible when fed 7 SD, even from 5 metres away!).

Looking forward to your review - when do you expect it home?

I am getting it home next week, thought I am not sure if I will be setting it up cause I'm moving house .. But will see what happens .. lol ...

I was watching regular DVDs on this TV .. In my opinion, the picture quality was stunning .. I watched Toy Story, Star Wars and Robots. Harvey Norman was using a cheap DVD player, can't even remember the brand so I would expect having the DVD upscaled via HTPC would improve the pic further. Also, the DVD was going in via component, I will be using DVI->HDMI.

I will try out DivX stuff once I've got it installed and plugged in .. In anticipation, I've just moved my Divco HD tuner card from my server PC into the HTPC .. Will have pure digital output to the toshiba when its connected .. Expect it to look very nice ..

Also, the DVD was going in via component, I will be using DVI->HDMI.

I would be interested to know what resolution you will get from HTPC using DVI->HDMI link. If you you could get 1920x1080 that would be excellent.

I have downloaded manual and in several places it states:

This TV is not intended for connection to and should not be used with a PC.

DO NOT CONNECT A PC USING THE HDMI PORT. ALWAYS use the VGA port provided to connect a PC

Can you damage the TV if you have HTPC permanently connected to it via HDMI?

The best I could find the LG 72 inch LCOS was around $8,000, so the Toshiba is (in my opinion) not only the best on the market, but seemingly the cheapest out of the two.

Just so you know. You can get the LG 71" (180CM) LCoS HD RPTV WITH BUILT IN STB for $7399 from PALS Palace on ebay. See:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LG-71-180CM-LCoS-HD...1QQcmdZViewItem

Things to note:

Free metro Sydney area delivery

Melbourne $95

Brisbane $145

The stand shown in the picture is $495

$785 for a 4 year extended warranty

So the Toshiba is still the cheapest!

I would be interested to know what resolution you will get from HTPC using DVI->HDMI link. If you you could get 1920x1080 that would be excellent.

DO NOT CONNECT A PC USING THE HDMI PORT. ALWAYS use the VGA port provided to connect a PC

I have asked Castel (Australian distributors) about this, and they assure me that there will be no problems however they didn't say why the manual says not to do it.

The following is the email received from Jonathan at Castel:

"Hi Steve,

I don't think it will be a problem connecting your PC via DVI-HDMI.

A lot of customers are using this connection.

Thanks,

Jonathan"

Good points. I have had trouble with these kinds of exclusions in the past. For some completely unknown reason to me, the VGA only support 1024x768 and upscales to 1920x1080. This would clearly be a waste. Therefore, I will be using my ATI Graphics adapter to output 1080i which will give me effectively 1920x1080 pixels. I will do this via HDMI (using a DVI-HDMI connection). I have done this with a Plasma panel wich has a similar problem. It works perfectly. Seems like a workaround for these TVs that don't use the PC-RGB connection to its full potential.

Will advise in a week or so how well it works ..

Good things come to those who wait.

72" @ $7100 @ 1080p native was not envisaged to be at that street price for a few years.

DA

Wonder if they will go beyond 71"

I wouldn't mind a 85" or so, to replace my projecotr by the end of the year.

Im a dealer for Castel/Toshiba I can see what price is available on these if anyone else is interested in one.

I woul be, see what u can do. Also where are you located?

Im a dealer for Castel/Toshiba I can see what price is available on these if anyone else is interested in one.

I'm interested also.

I bought the 62" Toshi from Sunnybank HIFI in Brissie for $4900 if anyone is interested... it's an amazing set for the money!

Max

I bought the 62" Toshi from Sunnybank HIFI in Brissie for $4900 if anyone is interested... it's an amazing set for the money!

Max

Thats a great price, if you can get this for 5k or less then no need to shop around any further.

Thats a great price, if you can get this for 5k or less then no need to shop around any further.

That's what I thought... so I didn't hesitate to buy. :blink:

I'd be very interested in owning 1 of these babies asap. PM me your best price.

The set is to be used 90% of the time for my xbox 360 and the rest for friends dvd nights, tv etc...

What are the blacks like on this rear pro?

Prices pm'd to those who enquired.

PM me too please alcoop

Nev

can someone just post a price instead on all these secret pm's

)or a rough price :blink: )

Edited by dazbug

can someone just post a price instead on all these secret pm's

)or a rough price :blink: )

Daz, they are couple hunder diff from the initial pricess given on the first post.

:P