Sign in to follow this  
Ingram

How much can I plug into a wall point?

I have a wall point with 2 holes. One is for my 6 plug powerboard which has the follow: PC, Monitor, 5.1 logitechs, printer, mouse, modem.

I want to plug the following into a 6 plug powerboard on the other socket: LCD TV. Xbox, Xbox 360, Ps2, Cube, Yamaha Reciever/5.1

Both power boards say max load 2400W. Will the power point wall be safe with this much load?

Wanna offer a money back promise on that? if it all goes boom you will replace it all? :blink:

Yeah, should be fine... send all insurance claims to HN... :blink:

If you really want to be sure, look for the wattage (or if amperage only shown, multiply this by 240) rating on each and add them up... but I doubt it comes near 2400 (which is below the point at which things are liable to ignite!).

For extra safety, just make sure that this wall point isn't sharing the same local circuit with a heap of other more power-hungry appliances (eg: a cheap air conditioner, or a heater, etc)!

I have a wall point with 2 holes. One is for my 6 plug powerboard which has the follow: PC, Monitor, 5.1 logitechs, printer, mouse, modem.

I want to plug the following into a 6 plug powerboard on the other socket: LCD TV. Xbox, Xbox 360, Ps2, Cube, Yamaha Reciever/5.1

Both power boards say max load 2400W. Will the power point wall be safe with this much load?

I understand power outlets are rated 10 to 15 amps per wall plate (one or two outlets).

10 amps is about 2400 watts.

If you run both powerboards at 2400 watts, running off the same outlet (or separate outlets on the same circuit), well you're gonna trip a breaker or blow a fuse in the meter box.

JB

I understand power outlets are rated 10 to 15 amps per wall plate (one or two outlets).

10 amps is about 2400 watts.

If you run both powerboards at 2400 watts, running off the same outlet (or separate outlets on the same circuit), well you're gonna trip a breaker or blow a fuse in the meter box.

JB

I think "Will the power point wall be safe with this much load?" refers to the stuff he mentions, rather than the concept of fully loading the pair with 2400W per outlet...

Ingram, if you want to reassure yourself, just add up all of the VA or wattage ratings on the information sticker of each appliance. You will find that the total is way less than 2.4 kW.

Hi Ingram

Should not even come close to what you can run off a double wall outlet. I run two computers and two monitors, a laptop, two printers, a modem, two radios, 5.1 audio amp, hi power amplifier, fan, fridge (Engel) and a crt TV off my double wall outlet.

So long as the total wattage is less than 2400 watts no problems, reckon you could run 3600 watts without problems from double wall outlet. Advise you plug each power board into a wall socket rather than running one board from the other.

Where a problem could occur is what else is running on the same house circuit. Would just blow a fuse or circuit breaker if overloaded.

Power problems mainly occur in the kitchen area of the house (or areas where people are running electric heaters) where a number of appliances are heavy power users. Electric Kettles, microwaves, electric grills, toasters etc.

As I say should not be a problem

Ian

For the sort of loads you will be plugging in, I'm sure you'll have no problem at all.

The type of things around the house that take a lot of power are toasters, hair dryers, sandwich makers, kettles, electric element heaters, blow heaters etc. And by checking their power requirements (should be clearly marked on them) most people are safe.

The main thing that is very dangerous is plugging things that take a lot of power into very cheap power boards. When the cheap contacts start offering a less than ideal clean efficient contact, the contact starts overheating, that makes the contact worse, and then it can just rapidly snowball (or rather fireball). :blink:

I think "Will the power point wall be safe with this much load?" refers to the stuff he mentions, rather than the concept of fully loading the pair with 2400W per outlet...

Yep, I understand that, Santa. I've got more gear (numerically) than he mentioned running off a double outlet, but only a couple of hundred watts total.

Just thought it'd be wise to discourage anyone who might think the rated specs would allow a bit of light industrial MIG welding in the living room.

Cheers

JB

it will be fine i had a 12 plug board pluged into a double adaptor which had a tv,dvd,sub woofer, av reciever, ps2, gamecube, dreamcast and foxtel and it was all good.

take into account you arent going to have all of these things running at once. and that computers really low amouints of power . . . . my comp ran fine during a ''brown out'