Sign in to follow this  
lavs

Details on new panasonic 600A plasma

I am sckeptical about the new model....since its not even avaialble and seem its has bad reviews.....anyone know which Myer store in Sydney had the old one still in stock?

Edit : Added sydney

Where are these bad reviews abhiramv?

Got any links?

I was just looking at it on Panasonic Aus website and I don't think the panal is much better than the 500A apart from 2 HDMI & the 1080p suppport. If I was to buy a panal in May/June I would be trying to get a 500A over the 60A.

Where are these bad reviews abhiramv?

Got any links?

Ive looked on the UK forum site www.avforums.com and as the 60 series has been released there for a short while, numerous people have made reviews. There are good and bad reviews and many saying the differences of quality arent noticeable but the negatives seem to stand out.

The 500 seemed to predominantly be all positive reviews so its interesting to hear peoples opinions.

On the other hand ive also been on the US CNET site and most people there have said good things but the negative points as mentioned in the UK forums still get mentioned there also.

I think there have been few occasions when a newer model of some technology that is "worse" than the preceding version

(excepting software of course !)

Look at the new model as having more HDMI flexibility, slightly improved screen, improved SD processing ( how much is very subjective ).

IMHO the Panny is not such a great bargain if you need to option it up with all the extra stuff ( like full 5 year warranty, drive the screen at 1366x768 NR, fine adustment of colour, overscan etc). But if you just set up your TV like most people and don't care about ISF, CEDIA, AVIA (not the Adult Video Industry of America !), then the 500 or 600 will be great units and you'll grow to love them.

From what I've read, I think the most pessimistic person would say the 60 is at best a slight improvement overall. Or they had some foible over the new styling.

If you want those more advanced features or an ultra sleek look, the Pio/NEC/8WK commercial panel is your cup of tea.

It has been confirmed with me from Panasonic Australia (connections...) that these new Panasonic 60 Series Plasma's being supplied to Australia are assembled in Japan, not Mexico.

Brazzwald

It has been confirmed with me from Panasonic Australia (connections...) that these new Panasonic 60 Series Plasma's being supplied to Australia are assembled in Japan, not Mexico.

Brazzwlad

Now that is great news and definately getting one now!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, after work today I went to clive peeters and asked the guy there when the 50inch 60A will be in store....

as he was checking on his computer I quietly positioned myself where I a had a clear view of the screen....

I can confirm that the ETA (estimated time of arrival) is 27th of April...I also scrolled down with my eyes to read the following:

RRP$5999,

??????? $5699

??????? $5399

Floor Price $4999

So does that mean that $4999 is the best price we can get for the 50inch?

ps. I asked what price he could do if I put a deposit today and he said $5699

he also said that panasonic warehouse no longer has 500A in stock.

I then went to HN and they said that they had never heard of the 60A hence I told him to get on his computer and look at the panasonic website :blink:

Hmmmmn, If I can get a 50 Inch at around $4500 in June, I may be tempted.

Ive looked on the UK forum site www.avforums.com and as the 60 series has been released there for a short while, numerous people have made reviews. There are good and bad reviews and many saying the differences of quality arent noticeable but the negatives seem to stand out.

The 500 seemed to predominantly be all positive reviews so its interesting to hear peoples opinions.

On the other hand ive also been on the US CNET site and most people there have said good things but the negative points as mentioned in the UK forums still get mentioned there also.

So what are the 'negatives' that 'seem to stand out'?

"1080p Digital Processing Chip Set" is this just marketing hype ??, because the specs say the max res is 1366 x 768.

what does this "1080p Digital Processing Chip Set" do ??. Is this propaganda ??..

Either way im getting one. Finally 50" is becoming affordable for the average man not 20k like a couple of years ago.

"1080p Digital Processing Chip Set" is this just marketing hype ??, because the specs say the max res is 1366 x 768.

what does this "1080p Digital Processing Chip Set" do ??. Is this propaganda ??..

Either way im getting one. Finally 50" is becoming affordable for the average man not 20k like a couple of years ago.

Sounds like it just has the capability to process a 1080p signal to display at 720p?

Sounds like it just has the capability to process a 1080p signal to display at 720p?

It also refers to the fact that they will de-interlace a 1080i signal to 1080p before down-converting to 768p. Current models treat 1080i as 540p and upscale 540 line interlaced fields directly to 768p (without applying weave de-interlacing first).

This should theoretically provide a sharper picture with better detail and less interpolation artefacts when viewing 1080i material.

This quote from the site:

"1080p Digital Re-mastering Processor

Up-converting various video signals into signals with higher image quality.

This processor up-converts a variety of video signals, such as those from analogue broadcasts and DVD movies, to provide a level of image quality that approaches full-HD. The resulting images have sharper details and more lifelike realism."

would seem to suggest that an upscaling DVD player for these models would be redundant - upscaling is done onboard.

Ron.

This quote from the site:

"1080p Digital Re-mastering Processor

Up-converting various video signals into signals with higher image quality.

This processor up-converts a variety of video signals, such as those from analogue broadcasts and DVD movies, to provide a level of image quality that approaches full-HD. The resulting images have sharper details and more lifelike realism."

would seem to suggest that an upscaling DVD player for these models would be redundant - upscaling is done onboard.

Ron.

Yeah, that's what it says about 1080p Digital Re-mastering but Darklord is talking about the 1080p Digital Processing Chip Set which according to the Panasonic website allows the Plasma to process full-HD video signals in their original condition without down conversion, allowing the reproduction of highly expressive images with exceptional detail.

Yeah, that's what it says about 1080p Digital Re-mastering but Darklord is talking about the 1080p Digital Processing Chip Set which according to the Panasonic website allows the Plasma to process full-HD video signals in their original condition without down conversion, allowing the reproduction of highly expressive images with exceptional detail.

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release164.html

Anyone seen these, i think these might be worth holding off for..

There is 'always' something better 'worth holding off for'....

It's worth selecting a couple of models with the comparison option on the Oz website and taking a printout. Not sure if the 600 models are there yet but I'v been toying with the 42PV60A(HD) and 42PA60A(SD) which gives a good breakdown on the 1080p conversion.

600,000.00 JPY Japan Yen = 6,985.53 AUD Australia Dollars (for the 50")

For that price I would expect a generational change in plasma resolution - but it's still stuck at 1365X768. Inclusion of dual digital tuners is nice but - the rest of the new features sound pretty incremental and slightly verbose reiterations of the stuff we see on glossy ebay spec sheets these days. The proof will be in the pudding, but I for one won't be holding off as a result of that news.

Ron

600,000.00 JPY Japan Yen = 6,985.53 AUD Australia Dollars (for the 50")

For that price I would expect a generational change in plasma resolution - but it's still stuck at 1365X768. Inclusion of dual digital tuners is nice but - the rest of the new features sound pretty incremental and slightly verbose reiterations of the stuff we see on glossy ebay spec sheets these days. The proof will be in the pudding, but I for one won't be holding off as a result of that news.

Ron

Its not what we are getting here from what I've been told by Pioneer, see my new topic. We seem to get models similar (obviously not exactly the same) as Europe/UK.

Mossy

JB @ kedron in brisbane has had the 42 pa60 and 42 pv60 since monday this week, $3699 is the ticket price for the pv60

Just went to retravision, i was looking at the 50" 500a current model and asked the guy best price, and i told him i could get it for $4200, he quite willing to do it for that. The he mention how about buyin the 50" TH-50PV60A. i said but yeh i dont really wanna spend that much, what the best price you can do. neway with the rrp price of 5999 i was hopinng it would be close to the current models price and told him $4200 would be good on the new model. anyway he came back and said best price $4460. so there you go people thats the benchmark to aim for i guess, i only declined on the offer due to the fact i wanted to see the TV in the flesh rather than buy before even seeing the damn thing lol. He wasnt too happy when i told him that and then basically told me where to go.... yes out the door lol. In all honesty he was a great guy to deal with etc etc, and if he was prepared to wait the 3 weeks to let me have a look at the model etc then i prob would have gone and bought it, but his attitude was way beyond poor once i told him that.

But yeh $4460, anyone else got a price yet?

Just went to retravision, i was looking at the 50" 500a current model and asked the guy best price, and i told him i could get it for $4200, he quite willing to do it for that. The he mention how about buyin the 50" TH-50PV60A. i said but yeh i dont really wanna spend that much, what the best price you can do. neway with the rrp price of 5999 i was hopinng it would be close to the current models price and told him $4200 would be good on the new model. anyway he came back and said best price $4460. so there you go people thats the benchmark to aim for i guess, i only declined on the offer due to the fact i wanted to see the TV in the flesh rather than buy before even seeing the damn thing lol. He wasnt too happy when i told him that and then basically told me where to go.... yes out the door lol. In all honesty he was a great guy to deal with etc etc, and if he was prepared to wait the 3 weeks to let me have a look at the model etc then i prob would have gone and bought it, but his attitude was way beyond poor once i told him that.

But yeh $4460, anyone else got a price yet?

At that price i'm definately buying! i'll push for $4500 which includes delivery.

Anyway I walked into clive peeters today and found that they had the 42PV60A on display. This is what I found:

1. picture definately looks brighter and alot more vibrant than the 500A

2. the look of the menu system is exactly the same

2. Definately still made in JAPAN :blink:

3. Definately looks ALOT better than the 500A, in fact it makes the 500A look old tech and bulky, really love the look of this new pana and will be buying once they have the 50inch for me to see.

4. I asked him whats your best price if i put a deposit on today, he said he can easily do $5000 no probs...ps. i didnt even haggle hence i told him when you get one in for display ring me and i'll come back to do business with you....he said no probs, i'll look after you.

ps. final note.....the 60A s h i t s all over the the 500A with looks and performance :P

ps. final note.....the 60A s h i t s all over the the 500A with looks and performance :blink:

Did you mean the 50 inch only looks better than the older one or the 42 included?

Im yet to see the 42 inch new Plasma but the UK forums say that the grey plastic makes it look cheap and flimsy and the black border is a Matt black and not glossy.

I held off the PV500A as it looks nice but the 3 tier border makes it look bulky for what it is so decided to hold off.

$4500 for the 50 inch 60 series is a very good price. I would consider buying for that.

I've also seen the new 60A for the first time today. Went to HN and Radio Rentals (Adelaide city) who both had it. HN were playing one of those annoying, slow-moving panoramic images on re-run, but Radio Rentals gave better idea playing channel 10 via LG HD STB.

In terms of aesthetic appearance, IMO the 60 looks more modern and less bulky than the 500, so I definitely agree with JohnZA on that front. However, the stand that it comes with does look cheap and plasticky - the old 500 stand definitely appears classier, so I was disappointed with that.

I prefer the all-black bezel of the 500 over the part silver-part black bezel of the 60. I think it generates a better contrast with the screen image, and also gives the illusion of the screen appearing larger.

Although I'm not a big fan of pioneer (poor value for money), I couldn't help admiring the all-black bezel of it as it sat next to the new panasonic.

I also agree with JohnZA that the picture quality on the 60A is excellent - images appeared clearer (better defined) than the 500 which was playing via the same type of STB in the same room.

So it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. If the 60 was all-black (like the 500) and had a decent stand I'd be walking out of the store with it. But for the moment I wasn't that impressed with its new look. It would probably look better wall-mounted rather than on the stand.

I was offered $3599 with 5 yr warranty at HN and $3999 with 5 yr warranty at RR. This was without me making any strong haggling efforts. I reckon I could get a better deal over the next month or so (ie. $3000 with 5 yr warranty) once this product is properly out in all the stores.