Sign in to follow this  
lavs

Details on new panasonic 600A plasma

I see that panasonic has also omitted the subwoofers as cost cutting in this model. This was one reason I bought the 500A, so I don't always have to use the home theatre and still have great full range sound from the TV.

I've just been talking to a mate who runs the local Retravision outlet. I asked him to find out what he could about the new releases. He's been a good boy and come up with some goods.

I saw the photocopied specs sheets for the new Panasonic Viera 2006 range. They will be known as the TH50-PV60A (or TH42..). The 42" is to be released this month and the 50" is to be released next month. Pricing is going to be on a par with the current RRPs. This means the 50" should be in the vicinity of $5400 - I told him that if that proves correct he can order one in for me as soon as they become available!

Ron

Is there any word as to whether its definitely the 60 series and not the 600 series we are getting here or perhaps even the 600 series will be coming a few months down the track?

As I'd overall much prefer to have the 600A over the 60A but if the 60A is all they will stick to i'd much prefer the 500A for personal reasons.

Is there any word as to whether its definitely the 60 series and not the 600 series we are getting here or perhaps even the 600 series will be coming a few months down the track?

As I'd overall much prefer to have the 600A over the 60A but if the 60A is all they will stick to i'd much prefer the 500A for personal reasons.

The spec sheets I saw today definitely said 60A. I tried but couldn't grab a copy of it. I remember seeing key elements such as "1080p video processor" and "twin HDMI inputs". Perhaps the 600A might appear down track - with whatever extra features it may have.

Ron

Thanks for the info Ron. I have been patiently waiting for the new model(s) to come out!

I wonder why:

1. Panasonic are releasing the 50' a month after the 42' is released (why the wait?)

2. They bother making 2 models (60 and 600) with the only real difference being quality of speakers, sd card reader, and more black/less silver

3. They don't release the 60 and 600 models at the same time?

My cynical side tells me it's dollar-related.

I think I would also prefer the 600 model over the 60, although have to wait til I see them in the flesh. The 60 model was released in the UK in early March and hasn't yet seen the 600. So I'll just have to keep being patient!

Ive looked on the American PANASONIC website and the weird thing I find is that the PX60 model is priced US$2499 where as the older PX500(500A) is priced at US$3499. The 600 series is yet to be listed. I wonder why the older model (8th Gen) is dearer??

Im also wondering whether the 60 series is to replace the current PA50 so later down the track PV60 and PV600A will be stocked.

You'd think theyd be more forthcoming with answers but I guess they dont as it'd risk them not selling current stock.

Went past the new HN in Broadmeadows (VIC) today and I can confirm that the 60A will be instores in the 3rd week of May......RRP $5999 for the 50inch and doesnt look like they'll budge from it at first. I saw this price on their computer system, I noticed the model number ended with STAND ie. TH50PV60ASTAND

The only thing that worries me is that on the AVS Forum I found that theirs are being assembled in Mexico....I hope ours arent ???

Went past the new HN in Broadmeadows (VIC) today and I can confirm that the 60A will be instores in the 3rd week of May......RRP $5999 for the 50inch and doesnt look like they'll budge from it at first. I saw this price on their computer system, I noticed the model number ended with STAND ie. TH50PV60ASTAND

The only thing that worries me is that on the AVS Forum I found that theirs are being assembled in Mexico....I hope ours arent ???

yeah after offloading so many 50A's so cheap in the past few months you know they ain't gonna budge on this ticketed price for a while. will be interesting to see though....

Someone tap me on the shoulder when a 65” 1080p model with true blacks is available. :blink:

Small update for those who are keen or excitable...!

Just at Myer in Canberra over lunch - the salesman said they only have one 42" 500A left at the $3399 runout price, display model i assume, and are not getting any more in - In fact he said they can't get them in.

"There is a new model coming out soon, won't be hear for at least few weeks though" thats the 60 I believe though, not the 600 - sorry.

I was bugging him about price and what a few weeks means in the real world...but he didn't know. although he did say he assumed a similar price to the 500A

I guess it can't be that long untill all the retailers are getting them in.

The saleman at Myer told me he can get me the new HD Panasonic for 2950 didn't tell me the model number?

I need a best value 42inch HD plasma out there by next week, I moving out.

What do you think should I take the plunge?

Received Email from Panasonic customer care yesterday after enquiring about official release date for TH-42PV60A/TH-50PV60A.

Was told April 2006 is as clear as they can say at the moment.

But if you place an order with a retailer, they will be given approx date

from Panasonic sales desk.

I would post Email if I had any idea how to do that.

The saleman at Myer told me he can get me the new HD Panasonic for 2950 didn't tell me the model number?

I need a best value 42inch HD plasma out there by next week, I moving out.

What do you think should I take the plunge?

Of course.... :blink: A HD for that price (assume new and boxed) is a bargain!

I have the 50" and love it!

GO FOR IT!!!

will our version of the 50" 60 have the built in tuner like the US version ??. I hope it does because it would be one less box. It should be standard its not like we all had to get a VCR for analog tuning :blink:..

Im excited to see the new plasmas, but also would like to see pioneer rip somthing out. I really like there bezel design better all black and really sleek looking.

will our version of the 50" 60 have the built in tuner like the US version ??. I hope it does because it would be one less box. It should be standard its not like we all had to get a VCR for analog tuning :blink:..

Im excited to see the new plasmas, but also would like to see pioneer rip somthing out. I really like there bezel design better all black and really sleek looking.

Apparently they wont have the inbuilt tuner. The american models do but the ones here wont. Even the 600 series supposedly wont have them but im not sure if theyre due to be released here at all.

As for the appearance of plasmas, Pioneer looks stunning. Reading the UK AV forums not many people are happy with the 60 series saying it looks cheap so theyve been going for the 500 instead. The 600 series is all black but in a matt finish and not released there yet.

Does anyone know if the 600 will be here eventually or we will only have the 60 series as the G9 unit and therefore wait till G10 a year later for a new plasma?

Id much rather the 500 over the 60, but ultimately would like the 600 overall.

Apparently they wont have the inbuilt tuner. The american models do but the ones here wont. Even the 600 series supposedly wont have them but im not sure if theyre due to be released here at all.

As for the appearance of plasmas, Pioneer looks stunning. Reading the UK AV forums not many people are happy with the 60 series saying it looks cheap so theyve been going for the 500 instead. The 600 series is all black but in a matt finish and not released there yet.

Does anyone know if the 600 will be here eventually or we will only have the 60 series as the G9 unit and therefore wait till G10 a year later for a new plasma?

Id much rather the 500 over the 60, but ultimately would like the 600 overall.

Not sure if anybody has seen, but the new model is on the Panasonic website .. Link

What I thought was interesting was 1080p processing without downscaling. This is obviously a huge improvement over the earlier model. Should have waited for this model !!

Not sure if anybody has seen, but the new model is on the Panasonic website .. Link

What I thought was interesting was 1080p processing without downscaling. This is obviously a huge improvement over the earlier model. Should have waited for this model !!

Wow cant wait to get this panel!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. What a laugh, just noticed it says 'In Store April 2066 on the 50inch model!!!!! :blink:

now to find one on display

Can the first person to see one on display check where it is made/assembled?

Thanks in Advance

Can the first person to see one on display check where it is made/assembled?

Thanks in Advance

okidoki heading out at lunch to a few retailers. fingers crossed

Tried calling Pana Customer Care and they're pretty much clueless about where these are assembled.

The 2006 brochure on p.6 states:

New Amagasaki Plant Opens as World Demand Continues to Climb

Panasonic's new Amagasaki Plant began operation on September 16, 2005, giving the company a new base for manufacturing plasma display panels. The new plant boasts the world's largest PDP production capacity and is slated to produce more than five million PDPs in 2006. The Amagasaki Plant is a key part of Panasonic's response to the fast-growing worldwide demand for thin, large-screen PDP units.

Would be good to see one on display... probably not this weekend but hopefully next week's. :blink:

okidoki heading out at lunch to a few retailers. fingers crossed

gee thats one long lunch break

i'm off to clive peeters and HN to see if they have them.....if they play dumb saying they dont know what i'm talking about then i'll just refer them to the Panasonic Australia Website :blink:

I've just returned from JB Hi-Fi and they still have the PV500A for sale however they are unable to get anymore stock of the 500's from Panasonic so whats left in the storeroom is basically it. They don't have the new 60A model yet either and couldnt tell me what it even looks like. Apparently due in stores within 2 weeks.

So im going to wait to hopefully see the two of them as if what other people are saying around the world is true, the 60 series is flimsy in make and not too visually pleasing. Plus it loses a couple features and the improvement in video is barely noticable.

I asked if he could find out if there will be a later release of the 600A, but by all accounts i'll say it will never reach Australia.

I am sckeptical about the new model....since its not even avaialble and seem its has bad reviews.....anyone know which Myer store in Sydney had the old one still in stock?

Edit : Added sydney