Sign in to follow this  
lavs

Details on new panasonic 600A plasma

Anyone with a 600A series panny care to share their thoughts on the inbuilt HD tuner ?

Is the picture quality as good as an external HD STB ?

Anyone with a 600A series panny care to share their thoughts on the inbuilt HD tuner ?

I had my TH42PX600A delivered last week and could not be happier, it's hard to compare how it would look with an ext STB, but the picture / reception with the built in HD tuner is superb. I'm in Perth and had no difficulty whatsoever tuning in all available digital stations. I get a slight disturbance when swtching lights on/off but very minimal and not really an issue IMO. You can select favourite stations, i.e HD, SD, Programme guide so you don't have to go through every digital station using the up/down channel botton on the remote. I'm not sure whether this is a feature on ext STB or not. I can't get over how cool this panel runs, the back of the panel is quite cold even after many hours of use. Watching Fox, DVD's even video is fantastic, I read many comments on this forum on how bad SD stuff looks but it's not just watchable it's better than my old Panasonic CRT, which according to most people had a pretty good picture.

I've got it hooked up to my Denon amp with optical out and have watched a couple of movies on Ch9 which were broadcast in DD, perfect.

I've kept the settings down pretty low, all around 20% to 50%, but even at these settings the picture looks fantastic. And did I mention the sound, it's almost made my surround sound system redundant, well almost.

Nice write up. Good to see user reviews as I'm on the borderline of getting this unit.

I've been to a few shops lately (HN, GG, Domayne, BL) to look at the PX. But everytime I see this unit (both 42" and 50"), I find the PQ inferior to the older Panasonic model (PV) as well as other brands. I don't know if it's the standard picture settings, internal tuner or what, I just can't convince myself to buy the damn thing. :blink:

I notice that the PV/PX series can do the following:

525(480)/60i, 525(480)/60p, 625(576)/50i, 625(576)/50p, 750(720)/50p, 1125(1080)/50i

I have a question I was hoping someone may be able to clear up for me - would it be correct to assume that these panels would also require 750(720)/60p, 1125(1080)/60i for NTSC signals to be displayed in 720p & 1080i or am I way off the track here ?

Nice write up. Good to see user reviews as I'm on the borderline of getting this unit.

I've been to a few shops lately (HN, GG, Domayne, BL) to look at the PX. But everytime I see this unit (both 42" and 50"), I find the PQ inferior to the older Panasonic model (PV) as well as other brands. I don't know if it's the standard picture settings, internal tuner or what, I just can't convince myself to buy the damn thing. :blink:

I had exactly the same opinion before I bought this unit, the picture didn't look that great in the store, but every review I read mentioned that the factory settings were way too high, one review mentioned they measured the colour temp out of the box at 10000 degrees Kelvin, where the optimum colour temp is 6500K, once they calibrated this unit they got it to 6540K, which they believe was an excellent result, you will find this review on this Forum somewhere, sorry I don't have the link to it.

There is also a very good review on the NZ Panasonic website, it's on the 50" model but they're basically the same panel.

The 1st thing I did when I got mine, was change the picture setting to "Normal" and reduced colour, contrast, brightness down to 20% to 50% and the picture is excellent IMO, skin tones very natural, which is something I believe is very important.

There is also a very good review on the NZ Panasonic website, it's on the 50" model but they're basically the same panel.

Just read the review you mentioned, they gave it a very good thumbs up. In fact, several other reviews I've seen from UK also gave it a big wrap. Well, guess I should go against my judgement and trust my instincts :blink:

Just read the review you mentioned, they gave it a very good thumbs up. In fact, several other reviews I've seen from UK also gave it a big wrap. Well, guess I should go against my judgement and trust my instincts :blink:

I can't imagine you being dissapointed with this TV, keep us posted on your progress.

is the new PX going to repalce the PV models?

I also remember reading somewhere that the PX models have a different back on them not allowing easy fitment of the generic $50 wall mounting brackets without the use of washers and longer screws - can anyone confirm this?

got my 600a on this weekend and i still have my mouth open 2 days later,its the best picture ive seen.

i was also suprised how cool it runs as its been on for 2 days solid and the back is very cool.i also had to bring down contrast etc as they where to high and it still looks great.the inbuilt tuner is perfect as i had a set top box before and this is heaps better.

i would also like to know other peoples settings on this model.

hope this helps you mate..seeya

I must concer

I have the 600a 50 and its the best picture I have ever seen.

I already owned a strong HD STB although the picture is good it's not as good as the Pana's inbuilt tuner

I still need my STB for recording TV

I have had mine for two weeks and I still get amazed at the picture

Cheers

got my 600a on this weekend and i still have my mouth open 2 days later,its the best picture ive seen.

i was also suprised how cool it runs as its been on for 2 days solid and the back is very cool.i also had to bring down contrast etc as they where to high and it still looks great.the inbuilt tuner is perfect as i had a set top box before and this is heaps better.

i would also like to know other peoples settings on this model.

hope this helps you mate..seeya

i looked at the 600A before buying my pioneer 43" plasma, the pana plasma didnt even come close when compared to the pioneer

i looked at the 600A before buying my pioneer 43" plasma, the pana plasma didnt even come close when compared to the pioneer

I also looked at Pioneer before buying my Pana.

The Pana came close, perhaps 95% in my eyes, when compared to the Pioneer but I saved nearly 2,000 dollars :blink::D

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope it brings you many years of fantastic viewing, after your reading your persuasive testimonial I am utterly convinced I should buy a Pioneer.

Tremonti, depends on how they have set it up in the shop, wether its just outa the box and plug it in or have they spent the time to set it up properly. I have played around with both in the shops and have to say there isn't really a lot in it if at all but definately not worth the extra $$ pioneer are asking.

Maybe if the prices were closer, then it would make the decision a little more difficult but its easy for me anyways.. Pana all the way :blink:

Edited by whiteknightoz

Well

If you want to buy a Pioneer thats great they do set it up for you (If you live in the city) and when being wall mounted it certaily helps.

To say it is far better than the Pana is garbage I will challange anyone to be able to say the Pioneer is better than the Pana.

If you are looking at Plasma's to compare what about the Fujitsu? Its not a bad tv either.

Anyone who is considering a top class Plasma you can't go past the Lastest Panasonic

I have had my Panasonic TH-42PX600a for nearly a week now. The picture is fantastic, I thought it would have a lot to live up to considering the picture on my Sony CRT was pretty good., however, it has exceeded all my expectations. Guests at my place always make comment on what a great picture and sound it has.

Money well spent in my eyes.

yes it can no worries,just tried one for you.

THE BURBS R1

Can the 600A play DVDs in NTSC format. The website mentions only PAL.

So long as your dvd player can.

Thanx 4 the answers. Also, when switching aspect ratio to 4:3 on the 600A I noticed the vertical lines were silver. It annoys the crap out of me. Is there any way to change this?

I have this plasma TV in both 42inch and 50inch and bought them brand new. They are simply superb in picture quality and the audio is strong and true. Normal free to air is very good but as soon as you put a high definition signal through it, it really comes to life!!. These TVs are made in Japan and is one of the main reasons I bought them.They have handled everything life can throw at them, toddlers teenagers and also have been left on pause for hours on end, they haven't missed a beat and put the current gadgety led TVs to shame. With some personal preference fine tuning added they have brought us nothing but joy and visually and audibly remain More than capable. Ifvyou can get one second-hand, grab it, for a couple of hundred bucks you'll get the bargain of the century.