Details on new panasonic 600A plasma

Please just cut the 50A vs 60A crap. It is pointless guys.

Anyway, I got the TH-42PA60A hooked it up to my 5.1 setup, since i would never use built in speakers on any set.

One question for 60A owners how do I check the amount of hours used? I'm running the set in at the moment before I get down to tweaking it.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was taken from Bruzzi's most excellent Panasonic FAQ found at :

http://www.bruzzi.ws/plasma-faq/showthread.php?t=23

Check it out !

PD60U / PX60U / PX600U..MODELS :

..Hold Down the " Volume (-) " button ON THE PLASMA

..Press the "RECALL" button on the Remote Control 3 times

..Use the "1" or "2" buttons on the remote to go up/down and select "OPTION".

..Press and hold the MUTE key on the remote for 3 seconds.

..TIME ...= Hours of Operation (Hex Numbers)

..COUNT = How many times the Plasma was powered on

..Switch off the power to exit the service menu.

Quick tip by jasonbanks to covert the hours in hex to numbers:

In Windows, open CALC (calculator). Click View, and set it to Scientific mode.

Select Hex, enter the number then click Dec.

It will convert it to a number for you.

There's lots of good info on all the various models there.. whether you like the 8th Gen or 9th Gen panels.

more garbage!

The website below clearly states that:

THIS MODEL HAS REPLACED THESE MODELS:

TH-50PV500A

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=3125

I really cant be bothered anymore trying to make you realise that you are totally wrong...i guess we agree to disgree.

Like the saying goes:

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I know this is a very hot topic here so at the risk of creating a few more waves. There is no real correct answer as it seems for the true replacement for the 42PV500A. I'd agree with both arguments if someone said the 60A is the replacement or the 600A is the replacement.

From sourcing information on other websites around the globe, I'd say the 600A is the true and correct replacement for the 500A. However Panasonic Australia has elected the 60A as their replacement for the 500 series.

The reason I say this is that there is also a 50 series that never made it to Australia (as far as im aware) and the 60 series is the replacement for that model.

The American web site "LINK" shows all these models, except they still dont have the 600 listed. Appearance wise, the 60 is similar but not the same as the 50. The 600 is of closer resemblence to the 500 and these two models are the top HD models where as the 50 series and 60 series are the entry HD units.

Please just cut the 50A vs 60A crap. It is pointless guys.

Anyway, I got the TH-42PA60A hooked it up to my 5.1 setup, since i would never use built in speakers on any set.

One question for 60A owners how do I check the amount of hours used? I'm running the set in at the moment before I get down to tweaking it.

I'd personally do the 100 hour burn in too, to be on the safe side, but Panasonic supposedly are the only (or 1 of the only) manufacturers that pre burn their units for 100 hours at the factory.

I thought the 60A is 1080p whereas the 500A is 1080i but I might be totally wrong! I am just a casual observer, so please don't bash me if I am incorrect. And thanks in advance for the answer. :blink:

You'll struggle to find a True HD 1080p Plasma as yet. Apparently Pioneer are going to release one at the end of the year for a lazy $15k. However I think what gave you the idea is this quote from Panasonic.

"1080p Digital Processing Chip Set - This allows the Plasma to process full-HD video signals in their original condition without down conversion, allowing the reproduction of highly expressive images with exceptional detail. "

the 1080p scaler in the 60A is a good addition.

When running a 1080i input into a TV that is not 1080 native, it gets downscaled to 540p then upscaled to the tv's native resolution (eg 768 lines).

Having a 1080p scaler means that the scaled image retains higher quality as it is scaled from 1080p down to native resolution (eg 768 lines). This removes the downscale-upscale cycle.

Note that the 60A, like the 500A, is a 1024x768 panel and not true 1080.

the 1080p scaler in the 60A is a good addition.

When running a 1080i input into a TV that is not 1080 native, it gets downscaled to 540p then upscaled to the tv's native resolution (eg 768 lines).

Having a 1080p scaler means that the scaled image retains higher quality as it is scaled from 1080p down to native resolution (eg 768 lines). This removes the downscale-upscale cycle.

Note that the 60A, like the 500A, is a 1024x768 panel and not true 1080.

The biggest question on everyone lips was the 60A series 1080 scalers advantage over the 500 series.

Yes it seems like the 500A does an extra rescale compared to the 60A but how much is VISUALLY gained?

Now can anyone see any distinct visual difference or has this been a marketing furphy ?

The biggest question on everyone lips was the 60A series 1080 scalers advantage over the 500 series.

Yes it seems like the 500A does an extra rescale compared to the 60A but how much is VISUALLY gained?

Now can anyone see any distinct visual difference or has this been a marketing furphy ?

Well I've compared both 60A and 500A side by side with persian immortals settings and found the 60A to look more vibrant with better black levels....a truelly amazing panel :blink:

John how much better would you say it was if you can give some kind of opinion estimate etc?

I've seen the 500A in action and it looks superb on the HD loop so am wondering how much better the 60A can be. I've not seen a 60A set up properly in store yet.

What things make it better, ie sharpness, realism, deepness, contrast etc and the main thing I wanted to ask is the difference noticable or is it apparent only when you look exceptionally hard for the minor details.

Cheers Zac

John how much better would you say it was if you can give some kind of opinion estimate etc?

I've seen the 500A in action and it looks superb on the HD loop so am wondering how much better the 60A can be. I've not seen a 60A set up properly in store yet.

What things make it better, ie sharpness, realism, deepness, contrast etc and the main thing I wanted to ask is the difference noticable or is it apparent only when you look exceptionally hard for the minor details.

Cheers Zac

Zac, the best way is for you to go see for yourself with both units sitting side by side and set up with persian immortals settings....you really do notice the difference in picture quality and i'd say alot is to do with that 1080p chipset it uses, theres one less upscaling/downscaling that needs to be done as Crusher mentioned. After viewing both panels, I just had to have the 60A (50inch)....1-2weeks before it arrives in my lounge room...gee i'm hanging out for it.

ps. all of the above make it better and i really didnt need to look hard to notice the difference.

Zac, the best way is for you to go see for yourself with both units sitting side by side and set up with persian immortals settings....you really do notice the difference in picture quality and i'd say alot is to do with that 1080p chipset it uses, theres one less upscaling/downscaling that needs to be done as Crusher mentioned. After viewing both panels, I just had to have the 60A (50inch)....1-2weeks before it arrives in my lounge room...gee i'm hanging out for it.

ps. all of the above make it better and i really didnt need to look hard to notice the difference.

I can understand the 50inch benefitting as its native is 720p but the 42inch is a different story as it cant do 720p (1280 x 720) native, therefore to get it back to the 1024 x 768 it has to be slicing and dicing more than once and thats where Im not sold on the 42 inch benefit

I can understand the 50inch benefitting as its native is 720p but the 42inch is a different story as it cant do 720p (1280 x 720) native, therefore to get it back to the 1024 x 768 it has to be slicing and dicing more than once and thats where Im not sold on the 42 inch benefit

But what if my lounge room is too small for the 50"? I was thinking the 42".

What plasma is the closest to "true" HDTV? I don't think I can afford a real HDTV when it eventually surfaces!

Thanks Lyle, I've already looked at that. I sit about 2m from the TV at present, and the sofa can't go back any more ........ 50" is really too big, but I feel like I'm missing out on something with the 42".
I would have thought at 2 metres the 42" would be great. :blink:

But what if my lounge room is too small for the 50"? I was thinking the 42".

What plasma is the closest to "true" HDTV? I don't think I can afford a real HDTV when it eventually surfaces!

The 42 inch is a good size panel.

Dont let the native 720p get to you over panel size.

The last thing you want to do is be staring at a huge panel uncomfortably.

The pana 500a gives off a brilliant PQ. Im sure the 60A does the same.

My question was really about; "by how much better" given the latest technology offered by the 60A.

What you have to remember is on forums such as these we have 3 classes of audience participation.

1. Those who are looking for the cheaper end

2. Those who are looking at the middle to higher end

3. Those who want to be in the picture and cant get enough of technology.

If you rank in class 1 then you will find that those are the ones who have continual problems with their equipment and were advised "dont go there" by Class 3

If you rank in class 2,which is the majority on here, the feedback will be a benefit to your purchase and most questions will be or have been answered about the popular models from Class 3 but Class 1 will try and convince you that a 1950's Black and White Rank Arena is better.

If you rank in class 3 you are searching for the Holy Grail and the videophiles will be competing with words never yet dreamed of.They will have you spending your childs inheritance in 2 secs flat.

Thanks guys for your input. Sometimes I feel like an intruder in these forums because I haven't a clue as to what some of you mavens talk about, but reading it definitely helps a lot.

What I'm seeking is an excellent plasma that will last a good 4-5 years without too much of an upgrade, and the Panny seems like a great buy. I hope to, like a few people, have a Blu-ray player (by way of the PS3) around Christmas this year, and ergo something substantial to handle the HD.

Thanks guys for your input. Sometimes I feel like an intruder in these forums because I haven't a clue as to what some of you mavens talk about, but reading it definitely helps a lot.
Hey I feel the same.
What you have to remember is on forums such as these we have 3 classes of audience participation.

1. Those who are looking for the cheaper end

2. Those who are looking at the middle to higher end

3. Those who want to be in the picture and cant get enough of technology.

etc

A bit harsh, BUT oh so true. :blink:

Ive decided to get a panasonic 60a but im not sure wether to get the SD or HD, just for watching foxtel and dvd movies will the SD be fine or will it be worth speding an extra $800.
Pay the extra. IMHO.

Ive decided to get a panasonic 60a but im not sure wether to get the SD or HD, just for watching foxtel and dvd movies will the SD be fine or will it be worth speding an extra $800.

I agreee with Lyle.

You'll more than likely have the panel for some time with 60,000hrs half life so buy better than you need right now. Five years down the track you'll be glad you did rather than kicking yourself for saving $800. Who knows, in 3 years time fox may even be broadcasting in HD and you'll be stuck with a SD TV, or you'll have an Xbox360 and be kicking yourself for having to view it in SD. Of course if I'm wrong, come see me and I'll give you a full refund of my 2c worth :blink:

the way i see it, you can either pay $800 now to ensure longevity of your purchase, or sell it in a few years and pay $1500 difference to upgrade it. Its just a matter of less money now vs more later when it may be more affordable

I can confirm that 60A does not support PIP as most people know it i.e. displaying 7 & 9 at the same time for e.g.

The PIP feature here is basically the ability to display one of the sub channels of the parent channel. Channel 2 for e.g.

Sorry. The 60A does not have any PIP function. I was thinking about my Toshiba STB. I had a mega brain fade :blink: