Details on new panasonic 600A plasma

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get the VIERA TH-50PV60A 50inch Plasma TV - (HD) [Model No: TH-50PV60A]

for $5400, is that any good? Will buy it tomorrow if that is considered a good price, I see recommended retail price is $5999

Also, why is the new model 50" worth less at retail than the older model 50" TH-50PV500A? The older model is $6599.... I don't get it.

1. I've already been quoted $5000 at clive peeters without any haggling.

2. When the 500A was released, it too was cheaper than the previous model.

3. The 60A is definately made/assembled in JAPAN...saw it with my own eyes on the 42inch last friday.

As soon as the 50inch is available....I'm Buying immediately :blink:

Alot Better Processing!!!!

1080p Digital Processing Chip-Set

1080p Digital Remastering Processor

10,000:1 Contrast

New Deep Black Filter

Twin HDMI :blink:

Does the 500A have the above???????????

I dont think so :P

I'm sorry to be sceptical, but if I believed the published specs of plasmas I would also believe that the LG 10000:1 contrast was better than all the other screens.

The question (which is very reasonable) was - have you seen the two screens compared. There are many more reasons to bring out a new model than improving it - economics (ie producing it in countries with cheaper labour) are also important.

I suspect that it is actually a better screen - I would just love to hear by how much. Not read some marketting guru speak.

J.

Alot Better Processing!!!!

1080p Digital Processing Chip-Set

1080p Digital Remastering Processor

10,000:1 Contrast

New Deep Black Filter

Twin HDMI :blink:

Does the 500A have the above???????????

I dont think so :P

So, you haven't actually compared the two side by side? Well, at least we know what your opinion is worth.

So, you haven't actually compared the two side by side? Well, at least we know what your opinion is worth.

Which part of my post #96 did'nt you understand?

Here....i'll type the part that answers your question out for you again :blink:

"picture definately looks brighter and alot more vibrant than the 500A"

I'm sorry to be sceptical, but if I believed the published specs of plasmas I would also believe that the LG 10000:1 contrast was better than all the other screens.

The question (which is very reasonable) was - have you seen the two screens compared. There are many more reasons to bring out a new model than improving it - economics (ie producing it in countries with cheaper labour) are also important.

I suspect that it is actually a better screen - I would just love to hear by how much. Not read some marketting guru speak.

J.

Yes I saw them both side by side with the same settings...

i'll reiterate my findings again:

"picture definately looks brighter and alot more vibrant than the 500A"

I don't think there's much doubting that the 60 will be an improvement over the 500. On the Cnet reviews site, the consensus amongst new owners of the US version sounds very good. The only difference between it and the Aus spec model would be the inbuilt FTA digital tuner which we miss out on.

See owner's comments etc. here: http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_TH_50PX6...l?tag=pdtl-list

Ron

You should've got the 60A...you stuffed up big time!

The 60A craps all over the 500A in appearance and performance...not to mention the extra inputs as well :blink:

Can you get me the 60A for 3118 with the $1200 stand thrown in for free? I know when someone goes out of the way to flog a particualr product then I am very skeptical about it. 500A has been tried and tested and a proven winner with great PQ and thats good enough for me.

Can you get me the 60A for 3118 with the $1200 stand thrown in for free? I know when someone goes out of the way to flog a particualr product then I am very skeptical about it. 500A has been tried and tested and a proven winner with great PQ and thats good enough for me.

You usually get those prices when a NEW/UPDATE & BETTER model comes out :blink:

Heard of the saying...you get what you pay for? :P

The 60A is absolutely stunning and craps over the 500A, those of you that opted for the 500A in the last month have stuffed up big time...and you know it

Ummm... No, actually quite happy with the 500A. In another 18-24 months the 60A will also be superceeded. A bit like buying a new car, it was fun the first time I bought one and you think great I've got the latest, then another one comes out and you think hmm I still like the one i've got...

Let us know when you actually buy one, I'm sure we are all interested in how it performs in your home.

Ummm... No, actually quite happy with the 500A. In another 18-24 months the 60A will also be superceeded. A bit like buying a new car, it was fun the first time I bought one and you think great I've got the latest, then another one comes out and you think hmm I still like the one i've got...

Let us know when you actually buy one, I'm sure we are all interested in how it performs in your home.

Going by all reports.....the 50inch should be instores next week....hence I should have it by the end of next week or early the following week :blink:

Theres nothing like having the latest model :P

Alot like buying a brand new car (latest model)....everyone gets jealous as they opted for the cheaper runout deals :P

Guys,

I intend to get the Pana 60A. Because I 'm new to Plasma thingy,

I 'm a bit worry about the burn-in problem. How well does the Pana

cope with this kind of burn-in problem, especially with TV channels that

display their logo, eg ABC, etc... For example, how long does it take

for the burn-in to occur by watching ABC channel ( with its stupid logo) ?

Does Pana implement the same technique to minimise burn-in problem like

LG & Samsung do ?

Thank very much in advance.

Generally panas handle burn-in reasonably well but this all depends on how you use it in the first 200 hours. Go and read the pinned thread at the top of the page. That will be a big help.

The 60A is absolutely stunning and craps over the 500A, those of you that opted for the 500A in the last month have stuffed up big time...and you know it :blink:

Not really a comment that is going to win you a lot of respect. Smiley face don't temper all brash comments.

JohnZA,

You seem rather touchy about the difference between the 60 and the 500. You made your point quite clear, and your lack of decorum is obvious to others who show more sensibility in this forum.

I hope you checked the settings on both machines, and I hope they were from the same feed.

I would suggest you show a bit more patience with others and their views, because it appears others have shown you more patience than maybe you should be afforded.........

BAAL.

Have you seen TH-50PV60 in the flesh.

The reason I ask is, I was speaking to Panasonic rep today he informed me production run of 50' not in the country yet.

Due for release around May 26 one month after 42'.

I pointed out they would be in Betta Electrical catalogue,he seemed to think this was rather silly because they won't have stock.

Here on the Gold Coast there was a Retravsion catalogue in the mail tonight.

Advertised as a 'new release' is the Panasonic Viera 106cm Plasma TV.

The price is $2699 and it comes with a bonus 5 year warranty!

An extra bonus is a Wallabies Supporters pack valued at $130 or a Billabong Pro-Tahiti pack valued at $149.

This seems to be a lot of giveaways on a new release, not that I'm complaining.

I have been saving for ages for a 106cm plasma TV but just recently I have been besotted by the 50" sets.

Now I'm not sure what to do as I assume there might be good deals on the 50" when it is released.

OK...Finally bit the bullet!!!!!!!!!!

I've put my order in for the TH-50PV60A/STAND at clive peeters.....haggled him down to $4550 and i'm rapt. The delivery date is 27th of May with the possibilty of being delivered a week earlier. Panasonic guarenteed the salesman that the 50inch(60A) will be in stock within a maximum of 4 weeks, most likely 3 weeks....I cant wait.

ps. I apologise if i've offended anyone and those that I have. For those interested, i was offered the 50inch 500A for $3950 but opted for the new model.

OK...Finally bit the bullet!!!!!!!!!!

I've put my order in for the TH-50PV60A/STAND at clive peeters.....haggled him down to $4550 and i'm rapt. The delivery date is 27th of May with the possibilty of being delivered a week earlier. Panasonic guarenteed the salesman that the 50inch(60A) will be in stock within a maximum of 4 weeks, most likely 3 weeks....I cant wait.

ps. I apologise if i've offended anyone and those that I have. For those interested, i was offered the 50inch 500A for $3950 but opted for the new model.

Well done JohnZA! The next 25 days are going to be a long hard slog for you.

My order for the same unit through my friend at the local Retravision was just a verbal agreement based on an estimated price of around $5400. Armed with evidence such as your case, I hope to get a 5 year warranty and a HD STB out of him as well now. Did you get any extra warranty with your deal? Apparently Retravision's catalogue deal for the 42" includes a 5 year warranty.

Ron

Well done JohnZA! The next 25 days are going to be a long hard slog for you.

My order for the same unit through my friend at the local Retravision was just a verbal agreement based on an estimated price of around $5400. Armed with evidence such as your case, I hope to get a 5 year warranty and a HD STB out of him as well now. Did you get any extra warranty with your deal? Apparently Retravision's catalogue deal for the 42" includes a 5 year warranty.

Ron

Ron, 5 year warranty was an extra $649 but chose not to take it at this stage...might change my mind upon final-payment/pickup. From experience, electronic equipment will usually stuff up on you when they are turned on for the very first time, otherwise no probs.

ps. before going to clive peeters, i was at jb hifi and the best they could do was $4860 and he was very confident that no one could beat it. I then went to another JB and they said that they couldnt beat that so i left. Next destination was clive peeters, after i told them my best price of $4860 he spoke to his boss and came back with $4750...i then said to him $4500 and i'm leaving a $1000 deposit now, he then came back again and said $4600, i then said i'll meet him halfway...he then put his hand out and the deal was done :blink:

Now its time for some reasearch on HD STB's.....wanted the LG PVR but with all the probs I think I'll go for the Sony PVR or Toppy if it ever comes out

just saw this tv advertised in the latest JB catlogue for $3668, for the 42"

I called Newtone Electronics yesterday to ask for the price of the pana 42".

The guy said "Well , the RRP is $3999. The cash price over the phone I can give to

you is $3500. If you come here I might get the boss to do it a bit better".

I told him $3500 is too expensive, I 've got a quote for $3200. He said "That 's very

good price you got, but well, come here and see me. I might do something better".

From the conversation with the sale man, it appears to me that the price for

the pana 42" is well below $3200.

Gents,

Long time reader, first time writer.

Is anyone else out there annoyed that Panasonic has changed the face of the new 60A - the old 500A in my opinion, looked a million dollars.

I spent 6 months researching what tv to buy, on this forum, decide that the (42") 500A is the way to go, start saving, and just when you have saved up enough coin, they bring in the new model - that, to me, looks cheap.

I contacted panasonic through their web-page, who responded with the usual garbage. Does anyone know if the 600A (with the "old school 500A" styling) will be released in the land of Oz ?

I am that much offput by the styling of the 60A, that I am seriously considering buying a different brand now !

The only rationale that I can think of, is that they will release a 600A in a few months time, with a few extra features (such as better speakers etc), at a higher price. To justify the extra $$$, they would release the 60A to intentionally look worse than the future release. So, they have one cheap(er) plasma and a better looking, albeit more expensive plasma on the market. Good way of getting a bigger market share ??

well, for my sake :blink: lets hope so...

The only rationale that I can think of, is that they will release a 600A in a few months time, with a few extra features (such as better speakers etc), at a higher price. To justify the extra $$$, they would release the 60A to intentionally look worse than the future release. So, they have one cheap(er) plasma and a better looking, albeit more expensive plasma on the market. Good way of getting a bigger market share ??

I just called pana to find out if there is going to be another model coming out and they advised that there wasnt. I also asked how often do they bring out new ones and he said once a year.

I hope this info helps