Details on new panasonic 600A plasma

Ok,

Here you can see the differences between Gen 8 and Gen 9.

Gen 8 Brochure:

http://panasonic.com.au/content/library/files/F001450.pdf

Gen 9 Brochure:

http://www.panasonic.it/_ftp/catalogs/VIERActlg_EU_06.pdf

The main differences I can see is that Gen 9 has something called "V-REAL", 29 billion colours instead of 8.6 billion colours (Gen 8) and a contrast ratio of 10,000:1 instead of 3,000:1 (Gen 8).

Edited by skinXBWAU

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good find there skin. in the looks department the new 600 I think looks heaps better than the current one and also better than the 60 version as well. wonder which one makes it here and whether we get the built in digital tuner or not.

I don't actually mind the design of the 60 and don't really care about the better speakers (because who really uses TV speakers) or the SD Card slot.

The silver strip along the base with the black above means it matches both my Squeezebox 3 and my future HK AVR635.

I also like how the "Panasonic" brand name is less intrusive on the silver part of the 60 than it is on the black part of the 600. Although I guess the 600 looks bigger because of the larger black frame.

I reckon that TH-50PV60 looks the biz. :blink: BTW - What is the "IDTV" version? EDIT: Oh it has a built-in tuner.

Just noticed: I don't think any of them do 720p or 1080i at 60 Hz. Could be a problem for Xbox 360 use?

I don't actually mind the design of the 60 and don't really care about the better speakers (because who really uses TV speakers) or the SD Card slot.

The silver strip along the base with the black above means it matches both my Squeezebox 3 and my future HK AVR635.

I also like how the "Panasonic" brand name is less intrusive on the silver part of the 60 than it is on the black part of the 600. Although I guess the 600 looks bigger because of the larger black frame.

I reckon that TH-50PV60 looks the biz. :P BTW - What is the "IDTV" version? EDIT: Oh it has a built-in tuner.

Just noticed: I don't think any of them do 720p or 1080i at 60 Hz. Could be a problem for Xbox 360 use?

The difference between the 8th gen and 9th gen panels..by all accounts from those who actually seen them in action.. absolutely nothing... accept at bit of Hi Ho silver around the edges.

You can only do so much with a limited space and the 42 inch plasma has done its dash.

We talked about this 6 months ago.. How can the 42 inch plasma's improve... Digital tuner,a couple of extra features like sd cards or extra connections.

We hear about 1080i upscaling to 1080p. PLEASE take your hand off it.

The 42 inch panel is limited because of the amount of pixels it can actually display.

Manufacturers have to keep the punter interested, so of course they will release a new model with hype.

Its called marketing and people get sucked in everyday.

Remember the difference between a SD panel and a HD panel is only a couple of feet.

Some people go to extraordinary lengths to justify those couple of extra feet.

Others go way over the top to breakdown those feet into inches.

The 42 inch plasma panel is a ****.Its a great size but geometrically speaking it doesnt gel with the technology.

Doesnt matter how much make-up you apply to it, underneath, its still a ****. :blink:

The difference between the 8th gen and 9th gen panels..by all accounts from those who actually seen them in action.. absolutely nothing... accept at bit of Hi Ho silver around the edges.

You can only do so much with a limited space and the 42 inch plasma has done its dash.

We talked about this 6 months ago.. How can the 42 inch plasma's improve... Digital tuner,a couple of extra features like sd cards or extra connections.

The 42 inch panel is limited because of the amount of pixels it can actually display.

Manufacturers have to keep the punter interested, so of course they will release a new model with hype.

Remember the difference between a SD panel and a HD panel is only a couple of feet.

The 42 inch plasma panel is a ****.Its a great size but geometrically speaking it doesnt gel with the technology.

Doesnt matter how much make-up you apply to it, underneath, its still a ****. :blink:

So what are your thoughts on the 50inch?

In the few years I have been looking at plasma screens they have improved incredibly in both picture quality and price. What makes you think this progress is going to stop? I don't know how much better next generation Panasonic will be but I have absolutely no doubt that we will see better and cheaper 42 inch panels from a number of manufacturers in the near future. Moore's law seems to hold pretty well for more than just PCs.

Faced with this rapid change all we can do is buy the best value for money equipment at the time when we need it and then enjoy it (which you are obviously doing with the excellent Panasonic panel).

I have been told that a new panasonic plasma will be in Australian stores April 26th. It will have 2 HDMI's but no inbuilt digital tuner. There will be a second (different) plasma sometime December 2006. The salesman couldn't tell me the exact names of them (ie. 60 or 600). My guess is 60 in April, 600 later.

Another thing he told me sounded a bit weird:

'Having inbuilt digital tuner is actually a disadvantage (compared with LG PVR) because you can't record in digital HD format.'

Maybe someone could confirm or refute this statement?

Guest madfonzy1503560434

Everything about Japanese manufacturing and production is built around the design model of small gradual innovations. Small innovations result in less design and production costs. So yes the changes look small but what did you honestly expect, this is how they operate.

I have been told that a new panasonic plasma will be in Australian stores April 26th. It will have 2 HDMI's but no inbuilt digital tuner. There will be a second (different) plasma sometime December 2006. The salesman couldn't tell me the exact names of them (ie. 60 or 600). My guess is 60 in April, 600 later.

Another thing he told me sounded a bit weird:

'Having inbuilt digital tuner is actually a disadvantage (compared with LG PVR) because you can't record in digital HD format.'

Maybe someone could confirm or refute this statement?

well it depends really, if you have a HD PVR then having a digital tuner built into the plasma wont make a difference since you will be using the PVR to watch and record TV

if you dont have one though...and just want to watch digital tv, then having a built in tuner would be an advantage, 1 less box in your setup and less cables....and it might be cheaper then buying a seperate set top box

December does seem a bit late for the 600...i was thinking july, late April sounds right for the 60 though

Doesnt matter how much make-up you apply to it, underneath, its still a ****.

Actually most of the comments I have read at the AV forums indicate a big jump in picture quality, and that’s just with SD material.

You have to remember that UK viewers don’t have any free to air 1080i broadcasting yet, so unless they can see side by side comparisons of Euro1080 (satellite HD broadcast channel) in store, there’s no way anyone can do a side by side comparison of the difference in 1080i quality between the older 500A and the new 60A/600A panels with 1080p processing.

To suggest that a proper de-interlace of 1080i to 1080p before being downscaled to 768p wont look better than bobbing 540i directly to 768p (which is what the 500A does with 1080i) is pretty absurd. Of course it’s going to look better. Just how much better 1080p processing makes a 42” panel look remains to be seen in real world tests, but of course it will make a difference.

Then you have the jump in black levels from the new black filter and the greater amount of colours resulting in smoother colour gradation. These things will of course improve picture quality too.

It would seem very clear from all your comments Lasty that you made up your mind about these new Panasonic panels long ago, and they haven’t arrived in Australia yet! Maybe wait and see how they look for yourself?

I think Lasty has made some interesting comments in his above posts esp "The 50 incher is a different ball game."

This avforums link UK, gives comment in regard to difference between 42” & 50” 600 model and link to photo (from Cebit Germany) showing the two together.

(photo can be resized by clicking box in right hand corner)

I think it fair to say that down scaling to 720p is always going to give a worthwhile improvement over up scaling to 720p. Then there is the extra benefit of the better form of de-interlacing Darklord gave an excellent post on.

Improvements to what are already the best plasma blacks in the business must be something to see. However I'll wait and see re the extra colours. I'm not convinced that going beyond 1 billion colours gives a noticeable improvement. But give me 1 billion over 16.7 million any day.

I've been looking on the American website and various forums around the world trying to sus out what model we are going to get here next.

Apparently the PX600 isnt due for release in the USA until later on in the year, I beleive their summer so probably around June. The PX60 is already selling there.

If Panasonic follow suit with the 50 and 500 series we should hopefully get the PV600 (PX600).

Im not sure of the differences of the 60 compared to the 600 besides the physical appearance. The 60 is the entry level and sells for cheaper than the 600.

If anyone has any details on release dates and models that will be greatly appreciated.

From what ive read elsewhere, it appears to support the case that the PV60 will be released first with the PV600 released later in the year, however having said that I dont think with the 8th Gen Plasmas the PV50 ever made an appearance here.

For the sake of having a new decent plasma arrive, hopefully we'll get the PV600 as the replacement model.

Hi all,

Just wondering if us Aussies get the Panasonic PV60 models with the 3 Scarts or the US style 3 Component inputs.

I'm dying to see if plugging my Topfield 5000 PVR will send RGB (via Scart) into the TV without needing to convert to Component first.

Hi all,

Just wondering if us Aussies get the Panasonic PV60 models with the 3 Scarts or the US style 3 Component inputs.

I'm dying to see if plugging my Topfield 5000 PVR will send RGB (via Scart) into the TV without needing to convert to Component first.

Hi

Traditionally, for major consumer items, Panasonic(& Sony) do a special production run for Aust.,(thats why the power supplies rarely fail on their TV's.) so its unlikely they willl have Scarts, but you never know what the final Specs. are until they turn up.. I have been told its dual HDMI and single Component but !!!!!.

Regards

Basil

My mail has it that the 600 may not be manufactured in Japan, but merely screwed together from Jap parts in China - thus a similar price to todays 500 prices. This is from a retailer mate, but who knows what garbage they might be being feed to shift the remaining 500 stock....

Update as at 11/4/06. I received this Direct reply from Panasonic after my query;

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

Panasonic Australia May be releasing a Plasma with a model of TH-50PV600A this year. There are no set details on this product or a released date at this time.

It may not be for another 6 Months. The Operation of the PIP modes and HDMI will be the same.

I trust this information will be of assistance however, please do not hesitate to contact CCC on 132600 should you require further support.

Kind Regards,

Panasonic Customer Care

www.panasonic.com.au

CRAZY! I don't understand why they would fix the PIP issue not working with HDMI. Crikey, the LG's and Philips do it, why is it so hard.

Anyhow, JohnZA, not too sure how April 29 is looking as what you said in another post. Bummer hey!

Mossy

Anyhow, JohnZA, not too sure how April 29 is looking as what you said in another post. Bummer hey!

Mossy

I still stand by it, like i said the salesguys at clive peeters have already had the demo :blink:

Panasonic still has plenty of units(500series) in the warehouses, of course they're going to say that they're not sure when it(600series) will come out