Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Indoor Antennas For Digital Tv

Sorry DrP - i took the bait... Yes where were we...

Yes, in addition to being a Master Poster... alanh is a Master Baiter.

That's what forum trolls do..... incite arguments.

He's destoyed yet another thread (his own) by taking it waaaaaay off topic.

This is typical of alanh, but it has had some entertainment value..... especially his challenge to JTK...

I challenge you to rotate the transmitting antenna from horizontal to vertical and then explain it to all those who cannot receive the signal anymore!

That's just priceless...... certainly one to add to 'The Facts'.

Just when you think alanh has gone as low as he can go... he keeps digging.

I have just bought a USB tuner for my new laptop. Since I am intending to use it in various places I need a decent antenna I can take about with me. Are the so-called digital flat pannell ones any good, (Good for packing) or are they just hidden rabbit ears? I have searched the forum and found nothing on them, or misunderstood.

I was going to use rabbit ears but my son said his rabbits would object if I cut them off.

Thanks, JB

Generally the flat panel antennas are only as good as some of the various rabbit ears antennas about. Where abouts are you considering using it?

Generally the flat panel antennas are only as good as some of the various rabbit ears antennas about. Where abouts are you considering using it?

It's for a laptop, which I intend to take round with me. The antenna which came with the USB stick only picks up SBS where I tried it, and the instruction manual says use a better one for TV

I have a DSE powered rabit ears, but my wife collected up all the power packs she could find and put them away together, so I don't know what goes with what; the DSE is 12vbut power? polarity?

JB

Polarity is almost definately centre pin positive.

The reason I asked location(s), is that it may help identify a possible aerial.

Polarity is almost definately centre pin positive.

The reason I asked location(s), is that it may help identify a possible aerial.

I mainly expect to use it in Craigieburn, Melbourne. Mt Dandenong is almost visible from there, subject to smog.

JB

I dont know the area well enough to know if rabbit ears (with arms extended and laid flat) will pull in the stations there. Its unlikely SBS (as its UHF) will work with that setup though.

John,

Why don't you try the recommendations in the first post in this strand. You can buy one and some retailers will take it back if it's under 7 days.

If you have line of sight then the recommendations are likely to work.

AlanH

I have a computer based DTV tuner in a location with poor signal reception. I would like to recieve a channel on a horizontally polaraised channel 7 (184500 KHz) here. It would be difficult to mount an external antenna near the location.

I have tried a range of amplified and unamplified indoor antennas with no success (three sets of rabbit ears at various lengths and orientations, a high end Crest amplified model, an Antsig amplified model, "The Leaf", and a useless piece of coated wire that came with the tuner). They all seem to have poor VHF reception compared to their UHF reception (at least regarding the transmissions from Yatpool).

There is a window that roughly faces the right direction, but there is no line-of-sight to the tower, which is about 20kms away. There are no other remotely feasible sources of signal.

Another forum suggests www.winradio.com.au/home/ax31b.htm for a similar problem, but I was hoping for a cheaper solution.

Would I have a good chance of success mounting a caravan antenna indoors, or possibly even a rooftop style antenna this way? Is it possible to buy a single frequency (or VHF optimised) antenna?

Hi Matturn,

As you have found out success with indoor antennas is pretty hit and miss, particularly as most people turn up the gain flat out on amplified ones and overdrive the tuner with poor signal and lots of interference from inside the house and outside. The trick is to find a spot for the antenna with best possible Quality signal in and minimum interference from inside the building and use as little amplification as possible, if any at all.

An antenna outside in most cases will always be better.

Fracarro Antennas do have single channel antennas, but they are Yagi types and designed for outside use so are fairly long on boom length.Have a talk to Laceys TV they may be able to get a four element one for channel seven for you.Also the Fracarro LPV345F is compact and lightweight and could be ok through the window glass or outside mounted to the window sill or something as the mounting bracket and cable connection is at the back of the antenna.Both these antennas are reasonably compact and priced.Up the top end in price it may be worth a look at the Matchmaster Squarial antenna which is designed for Digital reception for Apartments and Units with antenna mounting issues. It is desgned for outside use and has a built in amplifier

and can be wall mounted, it just looks like an oversize wall light fitting if permanently mounted.I have never used one so can't speak from experience on that one, other installers may comment on their use.

Cheers Tazzy