Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Indoor Antennas For Digital Tv

bit the bullet and went ahead with DSE L4066 outdoor antenna. got good signals for all channels except SBS, almost gave up until i plugged in the power inserter and voila!

what exactly is the power inserter? amplifier and/or filter?

vintec,

There is an amplifier in the base which is powered by the plug pack and the power inserter.

AlanH

Hi I live in Mildura where the switchover has taken place and I want to recieve digital tv in my room, as we have two tv's already connected to the roof antenna in both the lounge and dining room I am using an Indoor antenna in my room, it is just one of those cheap ones and can't find a brand. I can pick up the 7, Sbs and 10 channels with a bit of wriggling it around but it is all in black and white. I mainly watch ABC anway so wondering what I can do. Is there a digital indoor antenna i can use. Since we are renting I don't want to have to get an antenna installed for my room. I could pick up all channels fine on the old analog system.

cheers :-D

Hi I live in Mildura where the switchover has taken place and I want to recieve digital tv in my room, as we have two tv's already connected to the roof antenna in both the lounge and dining room I am using an Indoor antenna in my room, it is just one of those cheap ones and can't find a brand. I can pick up the 7, Sbs and 10 channels with a bit of wriggling it around but it is all in black and white. I mainly watch ABC anway so wondering what I can do. Is there a digital indoor antenna i can use. Since we are renting I don't want to have to get an antenna installed for my room. I could pick up all channels fine on the old analog system.

cheers :-D

It sounds like you don't have the tuner/TV set up correctly for starters, with getting only black & white pictures?

What digital tuner are you using? eg: integrated tuner in a TV or STB... make/model.

adzy,

The most likely cause is that the STB is selected on NTSC instead of PAL

Otherwise there are 3 possibilities

1. If you are using a STB and an analog TV the colour control is turned right down

2. You only have the yellow video cables connected between the two above, you also need to connect the red and blue ones.

3. You are using an STB with a small transmitter in it. You will be using an antenna cable between the two. Then you need to fine tune the TV.

As far as antennas goes to get stable reception use an antenna in the indoor antenna link in Mildura Switchover

AlanH

2. You only have the yellow video cables connected between the two above, you also need to connect the red and blue ones.

Here alanh is referring to a high quality form of video connection from a set top box to a TV, using three thick cables coloured Red Green and Blue, known as component video cables.

Assuming you are in fact using a set top box:

You can end up with a black and white picture just using a single component cable because the Green socket on a set top box provides a component luminance signal. All three component cables (Red Green and Blue) are required for correct colour, if using this form of high quality connection. They have to connect to the correct sockets, normally coloured red green and blue respectively.

As for "yellow", that's the colour used for the old fashioned thin
composite video
cable, which provides colour but at fairly basic quality, using a single cable (although often combined with audio grade red and white cables for the stereo audio). If you only have a yellow cable available for connecting the video, it should be plugged into the "composite" output socket of the set top box and the composite input socket of the TV. These sockets for composite video are coloured yellow, not surprisingly!

However we're a bit in the dark, adzy, not knowing what type of set top box you're using.

Edited by MLXXX

Im in Epping, Vic. Need a really good HD Indoor Antenna. Parents won't allow me to install another aerial point in my room for my USB turner.

Can anyone recommend a good HD Antenna?

Cheers

Im in Epping, Vic. Need a really good HD Indoor Antenna. Parents won't allow me to install another aerial point in my room for my USB turner.

Can anyone recommend a good HD Antenna?

Cheers

Firstly, there's no such thing as an 'HD' antenna..... Antennas can't tell what type of signal they are receiving. :)

Any antenna will work for HD, SD or analogue, provided the antenna is designed for the frequencies to be received and there is sufficient signal where the antenna is used.

Difficult to say what's good and what isn't as the same antenna will perform differently in different locations.... even when moved around in the same room.

The problem with USB tuners is that they usually require a stronger, higher-quality signal than integrated tuners and STB tuners, which in most cases, requires connection to a suitable roof-mounted antenna.

Perhaps try a DSE indoor antenna, as you can obtain a refund easily if it doesn't work.

RCA flat multi directional antennas?? Are they any good.

The jb hi fi guy tends to think they are great and will provide crystal clear reception. Truth or not?

The jb hi fi guy tends to think they are great and will provide crystal clear reception. Truth or not?

It all depends on how good the signals are where the antenna is used.

the brand name makes all the difference!

i know of a professional antenna supplier who has tested every set top antenna they could find from a number of important foreign suppliers and concluded that they all work worse than a standard rabbit ears antenna set, even the active ones.

if you are desperate, buy one on sale or return.

when it fails to work you could try one of the fracarro antennas in your room because they have outstanding performance (yes better that rabbits ears) yet are small enough to fit inside. then if mum & dad changed their minds you could install it outside - later.

dig2all,

Good one.

With the size of the antennas there is no way they can be half wavelength long particularly at band 3. So where is the directivity? I'll bet the amplifiers have no filters or only limit gain below 56 MHz thus picking up interference.

Pity about theory it applies in practice!

AlanH

I dug out a Grundig STB and tried with Radio Shack rabbit ears (from Anglicare op shop). I recall an antenna

guy telling me that it is the same innards as a DGTEC and it needs a quality of 85 or else you get dropouts.

Now it works fine on channels 6-12, and I get signal strength of 29 and quality of 68. However, it is no good

on the UHF channels (SBS and 44). When I try this indoor antenna on the TV tuner card in my PC, it gives

unwatchable mess. So I guess the Grundig copes well with weak signals.

I can see the transmitter towers from my roof and get signal strength of over 80 with the outdoor

antenna on all channels.

I dug out a Grundig STB and tried with Radio Shack rabbit ears (from Anglicare op shop). I recall an antenna

guy telling me that it is the same innards as a DGTEC and it needs a quality of 85 or else you get dropouts.

Now it works fine on channels 6-12, and I get signal strength of 29 and quality of 68. However, it is no good

on the UHF channels (SBS and 44). When I try this indoor antenna on the TV tuner card in my PC, it gives

unwatchable mess. So I guess the Grundig copes well with weak signals.

I can see the transmitter towers from my roof and get signal strength of over 80 with the outdoor

antenna on all channels.

If you can see the transmission towers, then it's more likely to be overloading/multipath signals more than weak signal.

Apart from the extra gain and directivity, better F/B ratio etc from a roof-mounted antenna... an indoor antenna will suffer from multipath reception, with signals reflecting off internal walls, furninshings, even people.

Ever noticed signals change when someone moves around the room?

This creates ghosting on analogue channels, but increases the digital bit errors, eg: higher BER which can cause pixelation or total loss of reception.

If I'm going to be viewing PC on my computer will the type of tuner I buy play any part in whether or not I'll be able to pick up channels using an indoor antenna? Is there any brands/models of tuners that I should look for?