Indoor Antennas For Digital Tv

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LMagic007

What's the best indoor antenna for HD digital signals ? in the Pakenham Victoria region ? I want to try this more simple approach first, before going into the Mr Antenna scenario and getting external antenna installation approval from the building management etc....

Thanks

:blink:

Guest LMagic007

Which region would Pakenham Victoria be in ? I'm not sure what one to select. It's near Berwick I guess.

davidok1,

Please ask you question in the appropriate Geographic Viewers' forum with your town/suburb. I cannot answer otherwise. The Geographic Forums are near the bottom of the main forum home page.

AlanH

• 2 weeks later...
for some strange reason, when im near the rabbit ears, quality is up at about 50% but when I move away the quality drops to about 35% wats going on there? strength stays the same at about 70% :blink:

If your antenna is between you and the transmitter; its possible that you are playing "reflector" duty!

2eleyagi.gif

If, instead, you are between the transmitter and your antenna- you'd be acting as a "director".

• 1 month later...

A good indoor antenna I use is one from Dick Smith. It has the rabbit ears but also a small UHF antenna built-in. If you wrap the cable from the base to the UHF antenna around the little pole then plug it in to the set top box, it seems to work well. I recieve the ABC at 91% and SBS at 95%, signal strength wise on my computer. Hope this manages to help someone.

mjstokesy,

Reception with indoor antennas depends on the strength of the signal around the antenna, the number and strength of reflections, the channel being received, the polarisation of the signal. This is why I wrote the pinned post. This is why a properly installed outside antenna is always better. In digital this means a more reliable signal.

AlanH

• 1 month later...

MatthewP,

It really depends on your exact location, including in the room. Also which real channels you wish to pick up.

Also if the channels you are trying to receive are in bands 4 and or 5 the indoor antenna which looks like a mini outdoor antenna are better.

AlanH

Does anyone have any success stories using only an indoor antenna.

After reading this topic I am tempted to give it a go as I receive fantastic analogue reception.

I backed off after I was told by an A/V salesman that it flatly would NOT work at all.

MattP

I live in Wagga Wagga and had good results with a Tandy/Dick Smith indoor tv antenna with built-in amplifier. The transmitter is pretty close, but with the amp off the signal breaks up and/or drops out, however with the amp turned on the picture is excellent with no drop outs. This applies to the digital HD transmissions too.

So I am happy with digital tv reception with an indoor antenna but found I did need the amplifier turned on otherwise the drop outs are to annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

im looking to buy dtv100t for my PC... though my only option at the moment is to use an indoor antenna... are there any tips anybody would like to give?

I seem to have picked up that my rabbit ears will work best wen its horizontally presented and the length it is spread out has some effect too.

I am in the South of Brisbane...and we get ok analogue reception on our TV's, but as soon as the PC is on, the quality is dramatically effected... because I'll be getting a PC dtv tuner.. will my reception be always effected?

im looking to buy dtv100t for my PC... though my only option at the moment is to use an indoor antenna... are there any tips anybody would like to give?

I seem to have picked up that my rabbit ears will work best wen its horizontally presented and the length it is spread out has some effect too.

I am in the South of Brisbane...and we get ok analogue reception on our TV's, but as soon as the PC is on, the quality is dramatically effected... because I'll be getting a PC dtv tuner.. will my reception be always effected?

I just installed this same card mate and had the same concerns. My guess would be that if you are getting good reception with your analogue reception TV you should be ok.

I just moved into a unit which had no wall socket for an outdoor antenna, so just bit the bullet and purchased a $15 indoor antenna from Dick Smith. So far, so good. I am in a good reception inner west suburb of Sydney so that probably has something to do with it. The only main digital channel I have problems picking up is Channel 7. I am sure if I fiddled with the antenna I could get that sorted. The current setup is to have the rabbit ears fully extended horizontally.

If you are wanting to watch the HD channels and not SD, then you would want a pretty good PC for it. I noticed the HD channels use alot of the computer resources. This is on a AMD 2200 MHz PC with 1MB RAM.

I am still yet to figure out if the remote which came included is faulty or I ain't pressing the right buttons, it just ain't working for me.

All in all, definately worth the $75 bucks I spent on the TV tuner card.

Edited by dcristo

lol is the chrismas tree looking thing the antenna? lol.. nice way to hide it.

so i bought the card.. tried 3 different antenna's... and all i am able to get is a whole bunch of SBS channels... and still they are a bit choppy.

Tried old school rod with the twirl going along it... no reception wat so ever.

Tried normal rabbit ears... spread out like every1 suggested... it was quite choppy...

Tried another rabbit ears.. but this one has a mini style roof antenna in the middle of it.. and that gave me the least choppy reception. I may be able to get it running ok with this antenna but i may need an extension cable so that i can place the antenna well away from the PC.

Ill nut it out and post my results.

ok so sbs seems to work without being that choppy... but i still cannot pickup any other channels at all... ie 7,9,10...

is there something i am missing or is this because i have poor reception?... usually in my house SBS has the worst reception... 7 and 10 have the best and 9 is somewhere in between.

Any ideas?

So i've got a basic dick smith style antenna which takes power and has the rabbit ears and a big dish, it gets channels fine on my dodgy teac STB provided you position the antenna for each channel.

I have two questions about indoor antennas.

1) i've noticed, if a mobile phone is in use, regardless of channel or position, the TV is unusable, will this occur with every indoor antenna?

2) if money was almost no object, but i couldn't go outdoor and i couldn't touch the interior walls with anything other than 3M sticky hooks, what is the best way of getting tv reception?